Out of Character: The Barge

Gris

Oh - the drow have translators. Speaking the decrepit words of the flawed and hideous languages of lesser races would sour their tongues - but that's the sort of thing thats are good for.

Taking Menthelius' sword to them would be ... born of questionable rationale.

Blueblood's Shopping List

Lizard Mount
- military saddle exotic
- saddle bags
= rope with grappling hook
= climbing spikes and hammer
= boltcases for hand crossbow ammo
- Lance
- Shield

Tailored leather outfit, black (mending) common item

Spidersilk gown
Mask

Drow female shoes, boots, sandals.. whatever.

A bloodstone (for healing)

A book of spiders and other terrors of the Underdark
provides assistance in IDing creatures of the Underdark

Boltcases (3) 60 hand crossbow bolts.

A scroll of Absorb Elements, Water breathing

A Ring of protection +2, or regeneration

A goblet of Sobriety (alt. tankard of Sobriety)

Maps of the Underdark in a watertight mapcase

An Hourglass ...

Leather backpack ... 10 day rations, 1 waterskin, 1 wineskin, 1 flask of rum,
5 Sunrods, tinderbox, 50' silken rope w/ grappling hook

Components pouch - powdered silver

Signet ring

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)

Yea - about that: You cannot buy magical items. But you could try to ask around for a broker - who might be able to conjure up some sort of deal.

This would be IC. And Blueblood doesn't know a .... Ring of Protection +2, for instance. She might want 'magical protection'. A broker would look for something that fits that bill, and then he'd return with a proposal. Gold would be a minor part.

In essence, the broker is a quest giver.

Regarding mounts: Izzak - should you decide to listen to him - would argue that A) one route onwards (through the flooded city) isn't optimal for mounts, and B) the road back to Ghazzad involves a lot of climbing. Choice is yours. Riding lizards are essentially identical to riding horses, it's just fluff =)

So no krodlu - if you recall Dark Sun, and yearn for that rideable goodness =D

Or you could defeat / rob a drow female and steal her rings... or maybe fate will pay a part !... many drow would have rings of protection I would hae thought.

Riding Lizards can climb too btw... like spiders... maybe not in this world.

And you'd be wrong. ALL magical items are unique - unless they're a lowly +1 something. So ... there is only ONE ring of protection. Or, there might be a few, but none are identical.

Riding lizards cannot climb. To all intents and purposes, they're refluffed horses.

I know that the drow famously have riding lizards that cling to ceilings like geckoes. They may have those, who knows? But if they do, they're not for sale here. Those for sale here are much like krodlu, except ... without the combat presence.

Naw, sorry - I should have specified: Weapons and armor, maybe shields. Things where the king might decide it's worth the investment in gold to equip his most beloved knights with matching magical gear - or the like.

As a consequence, you should expect AC's to only very rarely be better than 15. The average guard or infantryman will wear padded armor and carry a shield. Professional will propably shell out the extra gold for scale mail if they can, so depending on their choice of weapon they might reach AC 17.

Of course, different races might have different priorities. It's very rare that you'll see an elf in any sort of heavy armor, and it's very rare you'll see a dwarf in anything but. And so on. And other than the drow, no one has magic items as standard equipment - except, as mentioned above, the King's First Lancers.

You also shouldn't be expecting NPC's to have class levels. Most everyone in this world is a classless noob. This may well include nobility or possibly royalty - although the Imperial family has a long tradition for a certain level of personal power and excellence. Also backstabbery, debauchery and sometimes outright villainy. I mean ... moral flexibility and proactivity. Decisiveness of action. Resolve. That sort of thing.

Oh, hey - but on the other hand, you needn't worry about enemies having bonuses to hit from all their magic armor. It's all tactics. Which - as may be apparent - I have a somewhat grasping grip on. I'll say this though: If you find yourself in a choke point, with spearmen guarding it and archers behind, you may want to consider something other than a direct charge. My tabletop group got ... rather annoyed with me for that one. And they had a gloomstalker. Who, incidentally, all but solo'd the encounter. I may not have mentioned this originally - but no gloomstalkers in this campaign =)

I think I want my character to stay in sinkhole, work at a pub.

I have had a taste of dnd and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to experience it, but I am not completely sold on the fact that it is so mechanical.

But ... we've hardly rolled any dice out of combat?

Well, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. I'm sad to see you go, but if DND seems mechanical with me as a GM, I truly guess it's not for you. Sad to see you go, tho.

If everyone has gotten everything they want out of Sinkhole - shopping and so on - then we're moving on. Towards the ghouls, right?

I would like to add these items to my character sheet in addition to what is already added on the sheet before proceeding-

• Anti-toxin vial x1 50gp.
  • Arcane focus (Amethyst crystal amulet) (around the neck) x1 10gp.
  • Boltcases (3) 60 hand crossbow bolts.
  • Wineskin x1
  • Signet ring. x1
  • Explorers pack x1 (includes backpack)
  • Forgery kit x1
  • Clothes travellers.
  • Robe.
  • Miners pick x1
  • Navigators tools x1
  • Hunting trap x1
  • Grappling hook x1
  • Piton (for climbing) x1

After acquiring all of this he is ready to move towards the Ghouls.

When you say broker I hear Drow female shoes salesman... so yes there's that... and maybe discover a unique pair of Elf boots ?

YES... or discover something about the recently deceased Menthelius' sword ?!?

Are we not going to RP Sinkhole... sounds like fun.

Edited by DarkAngel (see edit history)