Saloon Chat (OOC)

Laird_Thorne

We can't let the passengers know... So stay away from the engine? The place where there won't be any passengers, just an Empire Rail paid driver? Am I missing something?

I can think of reasons to decline having us guard the engine but this seems...odd

EDIT: So I'm gonna try and reason this out!

Okay, first option. The engine is on the other side of the train, so to reach it we'd have to go through the passenger section. That makes relative sense in the context of what Quinton said, but... that just seems like an odd layout. Wouldn't you put the highly secure, fortified and heavy carriage next to the engine? That way it helps defend the driver, and it's closest to the pulling motion - keeping it at the back risks derailment on a sudden turn.

Alternate option; the driver doesn't know we're lugging such an important shipment. Maybe: everyone who knows is technically a risk of a leak, but if the driver doesn't know and the train comes under attack, he's gonna be tempted to cut the connector and split. Knowing that we've got defenses would probably reassure him.

Option 3: We're a risk ourselves, and could sabotage the train pretty easily if left in the driver's cab alone. That one, Coro's got no answer to. ;) It ain't what Morris said, and doesn't entirely take away from her argument that it should be protected somehow, but if I had to bet, that's probably where I'd put my money.

Edited by Inquisitor D (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

We can't let the passengers know... So stay away from the engine? The place where there won't be any passengers, just an Empire Rail paid driver? Am I missing something?

I can think of reasons to decline having us guard the engine but this seems...odd

EDIT: So I'm gonna try and reason this out!

Okay, first option. The engine is on the other side of the train, so to reach it we'd have to go through the passenger section. That makes relative sense in the context of what Quinton said, but... that just seems like an odd layout. Wouldn't you put the highly secure, fortified and heavy carriage next to the engine? That way it helps defend the driver, and it's closest to the pulling motion - keeping it at the back risks derailment on a sudden turn.

Alternate option; the driver doesn't know we're lugging such an important shipment. Maybe: everyone who knows is technically a risk of a leak, but if the driver doesn't know and the train comes under attack, he's gonna be tempted to cut the connector and split. Knowing that we've got defenses would probably reassure him.

Option 3: We're a risk ourselves, and could sabotage the train pretty easily if left in the driver's cab alone. That one, Coro's got no answer to. ;) It ain't what Morris said, and doesn't entirely take away from her argument that it should be protected somehow, but if I had to bet, that's probably where I'd put my money.

Hehehe

Well,certainly any of the above. :) It is a bit unusual that the Express car is not with the other freight car, but not unheard of. And yes, it's Engine/tender, sleeping car (a bit taller than the rest of the cars), passenger car, passenger car, freight car, livestock car, express car, and caboose at the back.so you would have to journey all the way through the rest of the train and that might get a bit suspicious to the passengers that there was more to be seen. :)

Plus, Morris does seem the careful sort and Coro brought up a valid, seemingly thought out point of how the train could be robbed...

20240313_204042.jpg.de13a0facc5c4485c9b8c4b32f13c426.jpg

This little gremlin is eating up most of my free time, trying to make sure he gets along with my other cat and not climbing the TV.

Post tomorrow

He's a good fella, don't let the air of mischief fool you.

I'm still in the middle of moving. And by the middle, I have a mattress on the floor, a tv and a coffee maker. I've been like this for weeks through delayed closings. Bear with me folks.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Inquisitor D said:

On the roll code - neat! Do we just put that into the post? I just tried to use the Wizard and the results... Weren't great

With the die roll, I usually just do the Command line entry. Then you can paste that directly and modify it as needed. I need to look into about the inline/in post rolling. I've been posting replies, then going back and opening the dice tower and doing what I need to there...

1 hour ago, Laird_Thorne said:

With the die roll, I usually just do the Command line entry. Then you can paste that directly and modify it as needed. I need to look into about the inline/in post rolling. I've been posting replies, then going back and opening the dice tower and doing what I need to there...

That's been my approach too. I'd just been using the wizard rather than the command line... but damn, I bungled it with trying to do SWADE rolls apparently. Gonna take a second shot.