Character Creation

Samanos

Game concept and tone

- The crew theme we will be using is Vigilante Masked Investigators. Street level supers. You may wear a mask or maybe not, but what burns inside you is a drive to take action, to right what's wrong even if at times you have to take matters into your own hands. Perhaps you might have even begun making a name for yourself in some parts of the city or the local news.

Character creation

- Create a thread for your character. Your application should include your characters' name and its mythos. An image is nice but optional.

- Personal details. Since this is a single scenario, I ask for two paragraphs of who your character is. One for their life before their awakening and one for after. You are a relatively new Rift, still exploring what your powers can do.But that didn't stop you from jumping at the opportunity to use these new powers to help people.

- An in-character description of your awakening.

- Your themes, tags, mysteries etc should be included as per the core rules. I am afraid I only have access to the core rulebook, so extra material found elsewhere are not allowed.

Posting

A PbP game stays alive when keeping momentum. I ask for 1 post per day. That said burnout is a real thing. If at some point you find you need to take a break from this game that's fine. Let me know so I know how to handle it.

Applications close on the 29th of February.

Any questions feel free to ask on the OOC character thread.

Here's a character I've created: Her name is Miyuki Kurosawa; she's an ex-cop-turn-private-detective and a Rift of Yuki-onna, the Snow Woman from Japan Mythology.

Life before Awakening: Miyuki Kurosawa was once an officer working for the Police after she graduated from the academy. Strickly no-nonsense and straight as an arrow, she would always approach any situations by-the-book and unwilling to compromise to any criminals she apprehended. Having to deal with quite a number of unwanted attention and “compliments” from her superiors, she would often give them a direct rejection through harsh language, thus earning her the nickname the “Ice Princess” among her peers. Despite having to deal with multiple incidents that can be categorized as harassment and racial stereotyping, she simply takes a deep breath and moves on, as it was the vow that she took by becoming a police officer: to protect and serve the people of the city, something that she thought the other officers would also uphold.

Awakening: When they received an anonymous tip about a possible drug trade going down at the City’s dock, she was surprised to see many of her officers would dismiss her request to a stake-out, telling her that it could’ve been a prank call. Against her superior’s order, she snuck into the dock that night. There she saw some of her fellow officers, not only were involved in the drug-dealing meeting, but also turning a blind-eye to the despicable action those criminals were doing that night: human trafficking. Appalled from what she witnessed, she felt a harsh cold air emanating from her as she ran down to confront the drug-dealers and the corrupt-cops. Everything happened so fast that by the time her anger finally subsided, she saw the dock was covered in a thick layer of snow, and everyone at the scene had succumbed to the freezing cold as they all lay lifeless around her.

Life After Awakening: She resigned from the force, unable to separate them from the level of corruption they have after seeing their death being honored by the city for their services despite her knowing the truth. Now she works as a freelance private investigator, handling small crimes and misdemeanors for various clients who find themselves in a desperate situation that they can’t go to the police for help. Every now and then she would get herself dealing with some of her former co-workers from the force. Though she left on very bad term toward the cops, she understands there still some good officers who, like her, haven’t seen the ugly side of their superior, thus she sometime treated them like a former mentor lending a helping hand. Hidden from sight, she continued practicing the strange power that had awakened in her that night, hoping to gain a better control of them so she wouldn’t repeat the terrible mistake she made.

My Character's Themebook:

-Expression: (“How Can I Gain Better Control?”)
Power:
A-Freezing cold wind
C-Chill to the Bone
F-Blinding Snowstorm
Weakness:
A-Can’t Stand the Heat
-Mobility: (“Am I Still Human?”)
Power:
A-Floating in the Air
C-Turning Incorporeal
F-”Weapons Simply Phase Through Me”
Weakness:
D-Sudden Drop in Temperature
-Mission: (“I’ve Sworn to Serve and Protect the People”)
Power:
A-Unshakable Resolve
F-Able to Take a Punch
G-Protecting the Vulnerable
Weakness:
C-See Everything in Black and White
-Training: (“I Mustn’t Repeat My Past Mistake”)
Power:
A-Crime Scene Investigation
B-A Keen Eye for Detail
C-Interrogating Suspects
Weakness:
C-Vindictive Criminals

Wasn't fully sure how to make a separate thread, so just replying here :]. Here's my character, Cyrus (no last name for reasons explained in background) ; A street kid turned rift of a dragon.

Before his awakening: Cyrus grew up in a foster care system in the city, his childhood spent at a different home nearly every month. Though some homes he would actually enjoy being a part of, most wouldn't last long. Either it'd get too hard to take care of a kid, or some crime the family was committing would be revealed, and he'd end up back in the system. Year by year, it'd be the same situation, and with normal means to outlet his frustration proving ineffective, Cyrus took to something different. Taking to rooftops, alleys, and abandoned buildings with a bag of spray cans, he took up the hobby of getting places he shouldn't be, and spray painting on the walls. This wouldn't always turn out the best, and many times he was driven back to his current foster families home in the back of a police cruiser.

Awakening: However, a situation could always turn out worse as he would discover one day. Atop a multi-story building, Cyrus was midway through his latest 'Artistic masterpiece' as he called it, when the roof door opened abruptly. The guard on shift had come up to check out the noise, and spotted the painting delinquent. Not wanting to get caught again, having barely gotten off with the punishment of having to clean off graffiti for a few weeks the last time, he ran with the guard giving chase. Although he had spent a lot of time on the rooftops, panic makes you sloppy. Mis-timing an attempted jump across the gap between this rooftop and another, Cyrus felt the ground dissapear out from under him, and a sharp pain as he collided with the wall of the building he had attempted to jump to. Though, as he fell, something stirred within him. As he hit the ground, the pain didn't seem as bad as when he had hit the wall, a fresh layer of scales cracking as they slowly re-aligned on his skin

After awakening: Eyes opened to the true world around him, Cyrus straddles an even thinner line than before, between his normal life and the waking creature within him. Though he still doesn't understand why he can do these things, he feels a pull to help those like him any way he can and to expose the corruption in the system he was raised in. At the same time, the most he can do in public is heating up coffee without a microwave, limited to flying between rooftops under nightfall.

Cryus's theme books:

-Bastion: Scale Coat ("Whats worth protecting in this city?")

A- Dragon Scales

D- Resist mundane weaponry

F- Resistant to flame

G- Fire breath

Weaknesses:

A- Monstrous

B- Scales come out of my skin

-Mobility: Winged Terror ("Where can't they reach me?")

A- Scaled Wings

C- Rip through my binds

G- Wing Bash

Weakness:

D- Tears in clothing

-Routine: In the Heights ("I'm safer up here")

A- Rooftop Freerunner

E- Parkour artist

G- Scale a wall

Weakness:

C- Security guards

-Personality: Faithless ("I don't belong anywhere")

A- Self Reliant

C- Dripping sarcasm

F- Never trust them

Weakness:

A- Bitter

Hope this works, and thank you for your consideration :)

On 2/21/2024 at 9:01 PM, temporal said:

Wasn't fully sure how to make a separate thread, so just replying here :]. Here's my character, Cyrus (no last name for reasons explained in background) ; A street kid turned rift of a dragon.

Before his awakening: Cyrus grew up in a foster care system in the city, his childhood spent at a different home nearly every month. Though some homes he would actually enjoy being a part of, most wouldn't last long. Either it'd get too hard to take care of a kid, or some crime the family was committing would be revealed, and he'd end up back in the system. Year by year, it'd be the same situation, and with normal means to outlet his frustration proving ineffective, Cyrus took to something different. Taking to rooftops, alleys, and abandoned buildings with a bag of spray cans, he took up the hobby of getting places he shouldn't be, and spray painting on the walls. This wouldn't always turn out the best, and many times he was driven back to his current foster families home in the back of a police cruiser.

Awakening: However, a situation could always turn out worse as he would discover one day. Atop a multi-story building, Cyrus was midway through his latest 'Artistic masterpiece' as he called it, when the roof door opened abruptly. The guard on shift had come up to check out the noise, and spotted the painting delinquent. Not wanting to get caught again, having barely gotten off with the punishment of having to clean off graffiti for a few weeks the last time, he ran with the guard giving chase. Although he had spent a lot of time on the rooftops, panic makes you sloppy. Mis-timing an attempted jump across the gap between this rooftop and another, Cyrus felt the ground dissapear out from under him, and a sharp pain as he collided with the wall of the building he had attempted to jump to. Though, as he fell, something stirred within him. As he hit the ground, the pain didn't seem as bad as when he had hit the wall, a fresh layer of scales cracking as they slowly re-aligned on his skin

After awakening: Eyes opened to the true world around him, Cyrus straddles an even thinner line than before, between his normal life and the waking creature within him. Though he still doesn't understand why he can do these things, he feels a pull to help those like him any way he can and to expose the corruption in the system he was raised in. At the same time, the most he can do in public is heating up coffee without a microwave, limited to flying between rooftops under nightfall.

Cryus's theme books:

-Bastion: Scale Coat ("Whats worth protecting in this city?")

A- Dragon Scales

D- Resist mundane weaponry

F- Resistant to flame

G- Fire breath

Weaknesses:

A- Monstrous

B- Scales come out of my skin

-Mobility: Winged Terror ("Where can't they reach me?")

A- Scaled Wings

C- Rip through my binds

G- Wing Bash

Weakness:

D- Tears in clothing

-Routine: In the Heights ("I'm safer up here")

A- Rooftop Freerunner

E- Parkour artist

G- Scale a wall

Weakness:

C- Security guards

-Personality: Faithless ("I don't belong anywhere")

A- Self Reliant

C- Dripping sarcasm

F- Never trust them

Weakness:

A- Bitter

Hope this works, and thank you for your consideration :)

@temporal Cyrus looks ok, my notes is that his Routine seems focused on his athletic skills (running, jumping etc). But Cyrus's wings can probably do the same things. Perhaps you could focus on other things he learned while being a parkour artist? Street/district knowledge, sneaking in, etc. However if you're happy with his Routine as is, no problem.

I would also like some info on his appearance, as his mythos weaknesses lean into it.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:20 PM, ZueyMort said:

Here's a character I've created: Her name is Miyuki Kurosawa; she's an ex-cop-turn-private-detective and a Rift of Yuki-onna, the Snow Woman from Japan Mythology.

Life before Awakening: Miyuki Kurosawa was once an officer working for the Police after she graduated from the academy. Strickly no-nonsense and straight as an arrow, she would always approach any situations by-the-book and unwilling to compromise to any criminals she apprehended. Having to deal with quite a number of unwanted attention and “compliments” from her superiors, she would often give them a direct rejection through harsh language, thus earning her the nickname the “Ice Princess” among her peers. Despite having to deal with multiple incidents that can be categorized as harassment and racial stereotyping, she simply takes a deep breath and moves on, as it was the vow that she took by becoming a police officer: to protect and serve the people of the city, something that she thought the other officers would also uphold.

Awakening: When they received an anonymous tip about a possible drug trade going down at the City’s dock, she was surprised to see many of her officers would dismiss her request to a stake-out, telling her that it could’ve been a prank call. Against her superior’s order, she snuck into the dock that night. There she saw some of her fellow officers, not only were involved in the drug-dealing meeting, but also turning a blind-eye to the despicable action those criminals were doing that night: human trafficking. Appalled from what she witnessed, she felt a harsh cold air emanating from her as she ran down to confront the drug-dealers and the corrupt-cops. Everything happened so fast that by the time her anger finally subsided, she saw the dock was covered in a thick layer of snow, and everyone at the scene had succumbed to the freezing cold as they all lay lifeless around her.

Life After Awakening: She resigned from the force, unable to separate them from the level of corruption they have after seeing their death being honored by the city for their services despite her knowing the truth. Now she works as a freelance private investigator, handling small crimes and misdemeanors for various clients who find themselves in a desperate situation that they can’t go to the police for help. Every now and then she would get herself dealing with some of her former co-workers from the force. Though she left on very bad term toward the cops, she understands there still some good officers who, like her, haven’t seen the ugly side of their superior, thus she sometime treated them like a former mentor lending a helping hand. Hidden from sight, she continued practicing the strange power that had awakened in her that night, hoping to gain a better control of them so she wouldn’t repeat the terrible mistake she made.

My Character's Themebook:

-Expression: (“How Can I Gain Better Control?”)
Power:
A-Freezing cold wind
C-Chill to the Bone
F-Blinding Snowstorm
Weakness:
A-Can’t Stand the Heat
-Mobility: (“Am I Still Human?”)
Power:
A-Floating in the Air
C-Turning Incorporeal
F-”Weapons Simply Phase Through Me”
Weakness:
D-Sudden Drop in Temperature
-Mission: (“I’ve Sworn to Serve and Protect the People”)
Power:
A-Unshakable Resolve
F-Able to Take a Punch
G-Protecting the Vulnerable
Weakness:
C-See Everything in Black and White
-Training: (“I Mustn’t Repeat My Past Mistake”)
Power:
A-Crime Scene Investigation
B-A Keen Eye for Detail
C-Interrogating Suspects
Weakness:
C-Vindictive Criminals

@ZueyMort Character looks good. No real comments, if you have any questions until the application process is done feel free to ask.

16 hours ago, Samanos said:

@temporal Cyrus looks ok, my notes is that his Routine seems focused on his athletic skills (running, jumping etc). But Cyrus's wings can probably do the same things. Perhaps you could focus on other things he learned while being a parkour artist? Street/district knowledge, sneaking in, etc. However if you're happy with his Routine as is, no problem.

I would also like some info on his appearance, as his mythos weaknesses lean into it.

Thanks for the suggestions :]

currently I'm leaning into fast and durable idea, with a few ways to deal some damage with fire breath or hitting with wings

tho it wouldn't hurt to invest in some of the aspects you've suggested, I've previously been criticized both kindly and not so much for spreading my character too thin (think that's the correct term). It's mostly a way to gain additional focus into the mobility based moves tho

Also for appearance, I'm guessing you mean how does his mythos weakness work? I was kinda imagining that if he lets his mythos take over too much, sneaking around and trying to get along with people would be negatively affected due to him both standing out more (scales, lizard like eyes, stuff like that) and people being less likely to hear out the kid who looks like killer croc

If you need anything else feel free to ask ^^

Edited by temporal
Additional stuff (see edit history)