Chapter 02d: Shadow of War (Wheelwatch Outpost)

Kamishiro_Rin

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 5 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 19 (Splint armor +2 Shield) | HP: 51/51 (5d8+15+5) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 17, Insight 14, Investigation 13
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 18 (+4) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Magic: +7 DC 15 | Channel 1/1 | Cantrips | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Coltan thanks the guard and returns to his companions. "They're bringing drinks, but we need to need to leave in an hour." He sits down in his chair and continues after a long sigh, "Mery, you know when we forge metal, we beat it with hammers? The more we hammer the metal the more resistant it becomes to breaking. So, the more we beat it, the stronger it gets." He sadly smiles and nods his head. "My family taught me that life forges us. The more life hammers us, the stronger we become. It sounds like your life has hammered you quite a bit, but I think you can be stronger for it."

After a pause, he continues, "Look Mery, the gods selected us, brought us together, to give us a chance to protect these people from the Dragon Queen. We know this, because we have had shared visions. I know this, because I met Reorx and received this hammer from him. Don't get me wrong; the few of us cannot defeat the Dragon Queen. But a small chisel can break a very large stone."

The Apprentice starts looking at all of you in the eyes, "Reorx is the Worldcrafter. He created everything and has given us all the tools to succeed. But, Reorx is also a gambler and risk-taker. Which tells us that there is no destiny or fate, even for the gods. Which means, we only have a chance to succeed. A roll of the dice."

"We're being asked to assault a defended fortress of the Dragon Queen. Failure is death or imprisonment. For us to succeed, we all need to work together. Trust one another, because we depend on one another. Mery, we need you to be dependable. Can you commit to that?"

"And when you keep things to yourself, you assume that Reorx has given you all the tools to succeed with that discovery. If the gods put us together, maybe you don't have all the tools. Maybe one of us has what you need to make that discovery useful. We were brought together for a chance. Are you with us?" He finishes looking at Mery with soft eyes.

OOC

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Action:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Concentration:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +7 or DC 15 | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.
  4. Mending (V,S,M). This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage. This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

1st level spells prepared

• Forge Domain: Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Forge Domain: Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Forge Domain: Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.
  • 7. Lesser Restoration (V,S). You touch a creature and can end either one disease or one condition afflicting it. The condition can be blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.
  • 8. Silence (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range. Any creature or object entirely inside the sphere is immune to thunder damage, and creatures are deafened while entirely inside it. Casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there.

3rd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Elemental Weapon (V,S) Concentration. A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits.
  • Forge Domain: Protection from Energy (V,S) Concentration. For the duration, the willing creature you touch has resistance to one damage type of your choice: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.
  • 9. Spirit Guardians: (V,S,M) Concentration. You call forth angelic spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration. When you cast this spell, you can designate any number of creatures you can see to be unaffected by it. An affected creature's speed is halved in the area, and when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d8 radiant damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Starting at 5th level, when an undead of CR 1/2 or lower fails its saving throw against your Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

War Caster

• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
  • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
  • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 17 (+1Dex + 4Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 75/75 (5d12+20+10+5) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 18 (+4) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Wild Surge Rages: 3/3 | Magic Awareness: 2/2

Darkvision 60' | Dwarven Resilience | Stonecunning | Unarmored Defense | Danger Sense | Reckless Attack | Extra Attack | Fast Movement

“My words,” Modri said. | ‘My thoughts,’ Modri thought. | My actions . . .

With the Party

Modri has said his piece with Mery, for Mery. It's far more words than he's used to saying, and yet the scholar does seem to put a premium on words. He even offered two predator-prey metaphors instead of just one, where normally he would've felt one was more than enough. If she seems to think she's dependable, and she can fight alongside them, even as she did the opposite the day before, then Modri accepts it. Everyone has their journey, and he's not one to impose himself on others. His request was less a demand from a position of authority, and more advice on how to survive.

In Modri's mind, if she runs off again in the midst of a war, she's like as not to be killed.

Modri gratefully takes the drink and starts drinking quickly. He feels he cannot help any more in this situation, but will listen to everyone. No, there is one person though he think he can help, someone he knows is also struggling, also full of doubts, and someone he knows a healthy dose of reality is just the right medicine for...

Date Sparring Match with Michelle

When Modri comes back to the Folketh Barony, he doesn't bother with formalities, but instead practically barges into Michelle's room that is doubling as her jail cell. "Come now Lioness! There's a war going on, and need you to keep your claws sharp and swift." That she lights up and is eager to join for a spar is a relief to him. No need for debates, indeed she seems to resonate on a similar level.

As they gear up and get ready. "I'll be starting without any magic tricks. If you want it, just say 'magic' and I'll throw my all at you. Otherwise, won't be holding back since the enemy won't." He tests the weight of the sword. Humans really seem to love their swords. It's fine enough as a weapon, and perhaps he'll get used to them. For now a hammer or axe is his preference. Still, the spar isn't about him.

"Now then, I want to know what you want. Want to organize these lands of yours and make it prosperous? Want to be on the front lines fighting alongside your people gone off to war? Want to reclaim lost honor?" He steps into the ring. "Only, you tell me what you want with this." He gestures to the wooden sword.

As they start, Modri lives up to his words. He doesn't hold back. He immediately rushes her, closing the distance. He doesn't both to defend himself, and instead whacks her first in the shoulder, and then swings upward and catches her side. They'd fought briefly, and Michelle can likely see clear as day that the Dwarf has gotten much stronger and very quickly. He grins as he waits for her answer.

OOC

Movement: If the ring is 30' diameter, and each take up a 5' square, Modri runs 20' to close the distance

Action: Two Reckless Attacks, he gets advantage on attacks and so does Michelle

Bonus Action: None, he is NOT raging unless/until she says the word

Reaction: SentinelYou have mastered techniques to take advantage of every drop in any enemy's guard, gaining the following benefits.

When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature's speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach.
When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.
in effect

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Attack 1 Reckless - Not Raging
drop(2d20,lowest)+6 6,15
Damage, Nonlethal, slashing
1d8+3 6
Attack 2 Reckless - Not Raging
drop(2d20,lowest)+6 1,16
Damage, Nonlethal, slashing
1d8+3 3

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 21 (Plate, Shield +1) | HP: 38/38 () | HD: 4/4 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing. Force all attacks targeted at mount to target Artanis instead. Mount has Evasion

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis takes care to listen carefully to Mery's story, though he finds it difficult not to jump in. He also gives his new companions time to speak, nodding appreciatively when Coltan mentions the difficulties he may face on their next mission. It seems most of them share his concerns about timing - so far none of their journeys have gone to plan. This was meant to only be a funeral for starters! They had been thrust from one catastrophe, or at best complication, to another. The fact that they'd had to postpone this conversation so long was proof of it already.

"Indeed Coltan," he replied to the dwarf, "I had intended to seek Ser Colpher out already to discuss the events that brought us to this point. To be entirely honest, even those graphic threats felt like they skirted the edge of allowable behaviour even if they were a deceit, and I would have his wisdom on that as well as a number of other points."

"Kai has the right of it, Mery," he continues, "we need to be able to trust you to hold to your duty, no matter how uncomfortable it is, when our lives may be on the line." He holds up a hand to forestall her response for a moment. "And I know you gave the condition of your life being in danger, and those three circumstances that push you beyond, but if there's anything this mission has just shown us it's that we don't know how much danger we're in. None of us knew those goblins were ahead, we couldn't have, None of us knew of those witches in the wood. We couldn't have. So our decisions are always made on incomplete information, and we won't know if our lives are in danger as a result. Modri, Modri, was almost put down by goblins of all things. That fight could have very easily gone another direction, and we were one person down. If you had been slower to notice what the witches were doing, or the rules of their magic any different, you may have never escaped. We won't always have time to slow down. We've barely had it till now."

He paused for a moment, letting his silence hammer home his point. If she felt guilty by his words, well that was the point. She'd shown no ounce of remorse so far. The ale arrives at the same time, and the silence extends. It doesn't seem right to speak whilst servants are around.

"The same is true of those situations you mentioned. What drove you to the edge last time was not any of those. You said yourself you didn't realise it would. I'm not saying you shouldn't keep going, keep fighting. I agree with Coltan, challenge makes you stronger, and I'm happy to be there to face it with you or shield you from it as you would prefer. I'd rather none of us died to Takhisis."

He turns to the sea elf, "For that matter Kai, I'm not sure any of us are fearless. My old mentor used to say that bravery wasn't avoiding fear, it was fighting despite it. The first time I saw those monsters I was terrified, I've no shame to say, yet I fought on, as did we all. Gods, it's difficult to believe they seem almost commonplace already."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Mount Action: 

Mount Movement: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d8 + 6) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.

RDA Javelin (range, thrown) [10]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage, 1d4 fire damage.

Lance (special). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d12 + 6) piercing damage, 1d4 Fire damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Commanding Rally 3/3 (Long Rest)

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 3/3 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 5/5 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (6 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Ravenwing, of clan Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 40/40(hd 5d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 19 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Hunni eventually just shrugs at all the talking. “I trust her,” she comments, “It will be fine. Or, she will run off again, and get us all killed. I guess I don’t always think things through, either. You do something that gets someone killed, though, and you probably won’t be in a state to make demands before the group takes you back. That probably won’t be a possibility at all, any more.”

She looks with interest at the refreshments, before grabbing some bread and cheese. “This stuff looks good!”

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 7 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 15, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 4) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +4) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +4) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 3rd level, refreshed at short rest

Free Spells from Feats: 1/long rest - Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Suggestion

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 2nd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 14.  Spell Attack Modifier +6.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite ©, Hex © (feat), Dissonant Whispers (feat), Unseen Servant, Blur ©, Misty Step, Suggestion © (feat), Hunger of Hadar ©
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast, Thirsting Blade

Life Channel. You can channel your life force into the power of your magic. When a creature you can see within 60 feet of you fails a saving throw against a spell that deals damage that you cast, you can expend a number of Hit Dice equal to the level of the spell. Roll the expended Hit Dice and add them together. The damage that the creature takes increases by an amount equal to that total.

Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location. While wearing this amulet, you are hidden from divination magic. You can't be targeted by such magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

Date

On This Bakukal, the 25th Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Thursday, March 25, 351 AC)

The 6th Day of the Campaign - About 3:00 PM–4:00 PM

• Solinari: Waning Gibbous
  • Lunitari: Waning Crescent
  • Nuitari: Waxing Crescent

Folketh Barony

(Modri)

IC

“I’ll be starting without any magic tricks. If you want it, just say ‘magic’ and I’ll throw my all at you. Otherwise, won’t be holding back since the enemy won’t.”

“Now then, I want to know what you want. Want to organize these lands of yours and make it prosperous? Want to be on the front lines fighting alongside your people gone off to war? Want to reclaim lost honor?” He steps into the ring. “Only, you tell me what you want with this.” He gestures to the wooden sword.

“Whilst I thank you for helping me keep my swordplay sharp, I’d assumed you’d do what you do best and use your fists, Modri,” Michelle says. “Magic!”

“As for my lands, of course I want them to prosper! And frankly, I’d love to lead a unit into battle against the Dragon Queen!”

Proving that she’s no slouch and that she hasn’t lost her touch, yet—it’s only been a day or two since you captured her!—she swings her own sword around and right into Modri, dealing 11 non-lethal slashing damage! Her follow up spin, however, slides along his shield, and feels like it would have done a good chunk, too, if the power of the blow was any indication.

OOC

The map of the Kalaman region in Maps & Game Information illustrates this area.

Statblocks

Lady MichelleLady Michelle

Medium Humanoid, Lawful Good(?)

Armor Class 19 (splint, shield)
Hit Points 50/65 (10d8 + 20)—77%

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 14 (+2) 15 (+2) 12 (+1) 14 (+2) 12 (+1)

Saving Throws Dex +4, Wis +4
Skills Athletics +5, Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Draconic
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Multiattack. Lady Michelle makes two Wooden Sword attacks.

Wooden Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) non-leathal slashing damage.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
Wooden Sword Attack #1 vs Modri (AC 17); Damage; Crit Damage
18; 11; 6
1d20+5;1d8+3;1d8 [13]; [13,8]; [13,8,6]
Wooden Sword Attack #2 vs Modri (AC 17); Damage; Crit Damage
16; 9; 5
1d20+5;1d8+3;1d8 [11]; [11,6]; [11,6,5]

Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 18 (+4) | Cha: 10 (+0)

After the discussion

Coltan waves to Modri when he heads back to the barony vowing to see him later for an early start to their mission tomorrow morning. With anyone who wants to join him, this dwarf stays in Kalaman for the rest of the day. The ale and refreshments at the castle were very welcome and improved his mood. Best ale in the world is free ale.

The Apprentice tours town visiting every crafting business from smiths to weavers. He listens to what they think about current events, clarifies what he has personally seen, Mends any cleanly broken things, and encourages them that Reorx has returned to provide Kalaman the tools and chance to succeed.

Between businesses, he would try to get to know better any of his companions who wanted to accompany him. What were they doing before Vogler? What did they think about the mission?

OOC

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Action:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Concentration:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.
  4. Mending (V,S,M). This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage. This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

• Forge Domain: Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Forge Domain: Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

• Forge Domain: Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Forge Domain: Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.
  • 7. Lesser Restoration (V,S). You touch a creature and can end either one disease or one condition afflicting it. The condition can be blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.
  • 8. Silence (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range. Any creature or object entirely inside the sphere is immune to thunder damage, and creatures are deafened while entirely inside it. Casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there.

• Forge Domain: Elemental Weapon (V,S) Concentration. A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits.
  • Forge Domain: Protection from Energy (V,S) Concentration. For the duration, the willing creature you touch has resistance to one damage type of your choice: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.
  • 9. Spirit Guardians: (V,S,M) Concentration. You call forth angelic spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration. When you cast this spell, you can designate any number of creatures you can see to be unaffected by it. An affected creature's speed is halved in the area, and when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d8 radiant damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage.

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Starting at 5th level, when an undead of CR 1/2 or lower fails its saving throw against your Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

War Caster

• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
  • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
  • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

AC: 17 (+1Dex + 4Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 64/75 (5d12+20+10+5) | Speed: 25'
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 18 (+4) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)

Darkvision 60' | Dwarven Resilience | Stonecunning | Unarmored Defense | Danger Sense | Reckless Attack | Extra Attack | Fast Movement

With the Party

Modri can't help but give a quick snort of approval to Hunni's words. It seems that everyone's laid out their position. Whereas Meryelle wants to be treated kindly when things are going bad for her, and to avoid a few things she knows will put her in a bad spot, the others have their own conditions for her.Modri himself wants her to grapple with the harsh reality of the world. Coltan wants her to work with the group and be dependable. Meri is looking for trust, perhaps fewer important secrets being kept from the party. Artanis wants her to live up to her duty, her responsibilities. And Hunni... of course she takes life as it comes.

And with a clear "yes" seemingly too elusive, that's perhaps the answer to it all. Mery feels she can come along, thinks that putting her life in danger will help, which Modri admits is cathartic enough for him. Whether they can all keep from tilting the scholar, and whether the scholar can keep up and not fall apart again is something that they will just have to see. A part of him feels that Mery needs some rest, and perhaps see a priest or someone who can help her work through whatever tangle's inside her head, but everyone's on their own journey and Modri's not one to stand in the way.

Modri's smile broadens as she immediately tells him to use his magic. And so the tattoos glow briefly, and once more a strange ethereal jellyfish appears, just like the first time they fought. This time he doesn't place it by her, but instead above them fifteen feet in the air. He is more patient and strikes yet another blow.

Despite what some may think, he can do math, and with three strikes to one, one more will end the fight, and he's not ready for that. Instead he speaks as he readies his defense. "You say 'of course', and claim you'd 'love to'. So what are you doing about it? What action is whatever-your-fancy-title-is Folketh doing to take matters into her own hands? What's she doing to make what she wants happen? I ask again, what do you want and what will you do about it?"

The magical flumph explodes above them, raining down bright magical sparks, illuminating them and emphasizing his questions.

OOC

Movement: Stay in place

Action: Attack, skipping second attack so as not to end the fight early

Bonus Action: Wild Surge Rage. Exploding Flumphs. Using for mood lighting instead of attacking.

Reaction: Sentinel in effect

Name
Wild Surge
1d8 3
Attack (Not Reckless)
1d20+6 15
Damage
1d8+5 6

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin
Level 5 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Breastplate, +2 Shield) | HP: 58/58 (5d10+10+10) | HD: 5/5 | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 20 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 17, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 18 (+4) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

The Talk

As the discussion continues, Kai remains quiet and listens to Mery and the others. If there was anything he had managed to improve at within his mother's court meetings, it would be the art of actively listening - looking for tells, putting the pieces together, getting to the root of the problem. Mery quite obviously still had things she wasn't comfortable sharing, but steps, at the very least, were being taken, and he was glad for that. He couldn't help but grin a bit at the tell she had in mind, and she at least recognized that the implication of torture was a step too far for almost all of them.

When she begins to share some of the situations that could lead to her nerves being frayed, Kai is a bit confused at first. A pretty dress, dancing, romantic moments... it all sounds nice enough to me... he starts to think on what could have happened after to make seemingly pleasant memories so painful - and then the pieces click into place.

For it to be this serious, it's not just a broken heart, or lost love. No, whoever did this to her betrayed her trust in them, horribly and cruelly. It's all starting to make sense. The emotional distance, the secrecy, the problem of trust...

Kai's brow furrows, and he barely notices Coltan rise to request refreshments. He ponders for a long moment, letting the others speak, and chugs down some ale before finally speaking once more.

"Mery, you mentioned feeling broken. That no one would want a broken thing. I'd like to borrow from Coltan's metaphor and expand on it a bit. Even broken things can be reforged. It's a long, arduous process, as I'm sure Coltan can attest to, but sometimes you can get something even better than the original, depending on what you add in. Like he said, we were brought together, but you've been limiting yourself to your own tools and resources. Maybe... we can help you reforge yourself, if you let us."

The concern present on the sea elf's features suddenly gives way to anger as his brow furrows again. Looking Mery dead in the eyes, he coldly states, "And if we're ever in Palanthas, do us a favor and point out whoever made you hate nice things like dresses and dances. Maybe I'm reaching, but I have a feeling they need to be taught a lesson."

He returns quickly to his normally pleasant self, partaking of the charcuterie board and asking the others about some of the foods more unfamiliar to him - especially the cheeses.

After the Meeting

As amusing as Kai finds the idea of watching Modri spar with Lady Michelle - and had noticed the dwarf's fondness of their former enemy - he realizes that he could pick up some supplies to utilize with his newfound skills. As such, he joins Coltan in visiting the businesses in Kalaman for the rest of the day, pointing out some of the shops and stalls he had visited in the morning and watching with a small bit of awe as the Apprentice demonstrates his connection to Reorx. The sea elf freely shares tales of his travels before Vogler, from the Southern Courrain far to the south and along the coasts of Silvanesti, the Plains of Dust, and Kendermore, before his journey to Vogler brought him further inland through the deserts of Khur and skirting the treacherous peaks of Taman Busuk. As for the mission, though he hasn't received the same visions as some of the others, he too believes that they have been brought together for a purpose - whether it be the will of the gods, destiny, or just blind luck, he can't say for certain.

Baculites_grandis_shell.jpg.8224e7fdc80f026bb2ff9550b1ffc0af.jpgDuring the day, Kai takes a moment to present the baculite shell to Coltan for the Apprentice's own study. "I've been interested in your thoughts on this ever since I saw your blessed warhammer, Coltan. I found this shell deep in a trench in the Southern Courrain. It felt like it called to me. I've been able to use magic I never thought possible since then, but I'm not sure if the magic is from the shell, from Abbuku's blessings, from the power of nature, or even just from within me, somehow. I... suppose it doesn't really matter in the end where that power comes from... but would you mind taking a look anyway?"

OOC

I think we've mainly been keeping our collected coin in a Party Loot pile, so I suppose I'll ask here - I can start buying supplies for Potions of Healing that I can craft with the Herbalism Kit. Each potion would take 1 day to craft and cost 25 GP in supplies. How many bunches of supplies should we pick up?

@Kamishiro_Rin @JubalBreakbottle As for the actual source of Kai's magical ranger abilities - I've left it all intentionally vague! Feel free to surprise me!

Alert: Other creatures don't gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being unseen by you.

Concentration:

Bonus Action: —

Action:

Movement:

Reaction: —

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Attacks Per Action: 2

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+4 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +7 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 2d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

20/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 3/3 Favored Foe Marks
  • 4/4 1st Level Spells
  • 2/2 2nd Level Spells

Date

On This Bakukal, the 25th Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Thursday, March 25, 351 AC)

The 6th Day of the Campaign - About 3:00 PM–4:00 PM

• Solinari: Waning Gibbous
  • Lunitari: Waning Crescent
  • Nuitari: Waxing Crescent

Folketh Barony

(Modri)

IC

Instead of answering, Michelle absorbs Modri’s blow, and marvels at his display of magic. “You weren’t kidding when you said Magic!” But she swings her own sword, dealing him 6 damage (before any reductions) grimaces as her followup attack fails to connect.

“Right now, I’ve got to get this barony on its feet. I want to lead a battalion, but for now, I’ve got my responsibilities—and atonement. Kalaman knows I’m a capable lieutenant. They can call me when they need me. I just hope they don’t wait to call me before all they need me to do is lead a cadre of children with spears to fend off the Dragon Queen’s army after they’ve breached the walls and are pillaging from street to street.”

OOC

The map of the Kalaman region in Maps & Game Information illustrates this area.

Statblocks

Lady MichelleLady Michelle

Medium Humanoid, Lawful Good(?)

Armor Class 19 (splint, shield)
Hit Points 39/65 (10d8 + 20)—60%

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 14 (+2) 15 (+2) 12 (+1) 14 (+2) 12 (+1)

Saving Throws Dex +4, Wis +4
Skills Athletics +5, Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Draconic
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Multiattack. Lady Michelle makes two Wooden Sword attacks.

Wooden Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) non-leathal slashing damage.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
Wooden Sword Attack #1 vs Modri (AC 17); Damage; Crit Damage
20; 6; 4
1d20+5;1d8+3;1d8 [15]; [15,3]; [15,3,4]
Wooden Sword Attack #2 vs Modri (AC 17); Damage; Crit Damage
12; 8; 5
1d20+5;1d8+3;1d8 [7]; [7,5]; [7,5,5]

AC: 17 (+1Dex + 4Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 61/75 (5d12+20+10+5) | Speed: 25'

"Better. Still needs some work." Michelle is a competent enough warrior to see that Modri is now shrugging off blows that would normally stagger a normal warrior. The Dwarf is cut from a different stone. She also knows he's not talking about her fighting form, and more for her outlook on the situation.

"Do what you need to, to atone. Your honor, your journey, your needs. I can respect that." He lets forth another swing, but it's predictable and this time the knight is ready and blocks it.

His next swing is far less predictable, clipping her leg with a low blow. "So. Your barony on its feet. That's good. That's something you can do. Your people. The refugees. So what's the plan? What can you do? What do you need to call on others to do?"

Another flumph explodes behind him in a spectacular display.

OOC

Movement: Stay in place

Action: Two normal attacks

Bonus Action: Exploding Flumphs. Using for mood lighting instead of attacking.

Reaction: Sentinel in effect

Name
Attack (Not Reckless)
1d20+6 8
Second Attack (Not Reckless)
1d20+6 15
Damage
1d8+5 1

After the discussion

Coltan is happy with the company of the sea elf. As much as Meri had traveled underwater, Coltan had traveled overland in Ansalon. Between the two of them, they had been almost everywhere. The dwarf especially enjoys trading amazing stories comparing undersea and landscape.

In reply to Meri's intimate request, the Apprentice replies, "It would be my pleasure. Shells come from creatures, right? Would you know what creature created this particular shell?"

They continue to walk and chat, until Coltan points to a tavern, "let's stop here. I can examine the shell over an ale." After the heroes greet any fans in the tavern, they find a table in the back provisioned with drinks of choice. Everything is better with ale. Then, the Apprentice begins his ritual to Reorx to identify the magical properties, frequently lubricated with alcohol.

Ten minutes later the ritual completes. After finishing his ale and calling for another, Coltan clears his throat and shares, "while lovely, I don't find any inherent magical properties within the shell. However, it appears particularly resonate to magic. Actually, it's similar to my hammer in that way. Normally, hammers are not particularly resonate to magic, but this one is for the holy blessings of Reorx."

He thanks the server for a new ale and takes long pull before continuing, "I suspect that the gods had something to do with you finding that shell. While I do not expect you to share my devout faith in Reorx or that the gods have returned in general. The fact that we have had shared visions provides strong evidence to support that. And, I suggest your shell is another example."

Coltan takes another swig and then asks, "Does that help?"

OOC

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Action:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Concentration:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Cantrips

War Caster

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 5 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 30/30 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 11, Passive Insight 11, Passive Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 18 (+6)
Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +7 or DC 151st 4/4 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Bardic Inspiration: 4/4

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

Mery takes a couple of more deep breaths. 'There is still more to talk about, and as much as I'd like a longer break, I think this is long enough.'

"We still have at least two more things to discuss. One is this." She reaches into her shirt and removes an amulet with a large obsidian stone. "This appeared around my neck not long after I left the witches' camp, and I am unable to remove it. I can't break the cord, I can't pull it over my head, and when I tried damaging the obsidian stone with a rock, I couldn't even do that. However, I do think I understand all but one important fact about it, and as long as I don't use it, I don't believe any of us to be in any physical danger from it. Moreover, I have no intention of using it until I learn that one missing important fact. "

She then clears her throat. "I know from my history reading that the Istarans used to have stones like this one that could be used to either take one to the place where the gods dwelled or else summon a single god to them. The god was under no obligation to answer. I'm not sure which one of those two things this stone does, but if it's able to summon a single god, given how creepy the witches were, how creepy this stone is when you look into it, and how much I dislike having an amulet I can't remove if I want to, I'd suspect it to be able to summon an evil god and I have no interest in summoning one of those."

"You're probably wondering why the witches would drop such an amulet on me. That's a fair question, and one to which I'm nearly positive I know the answer. The good news is, their agenda requires me to be alive; the bad news is, they don't care that I'm not interested in their agenda. What they want is to force me to join their coven. It seems they need a new member so that the one that's been there the longest—the one that's been there around 3,000 years, I'd imagine—can take on my appearance and leave their camp. I suspect that there is some condition around using this amulet that will allow them to poof me away and force me to join them, which means the only real danger that it poses is me being whisked away at an inopportune moment. Unfortunately, the thing I don't know is what that condition is. There's one other thing, too. The witches can communicate with me through the amulet. Granny Mélanie, the witch I spoke to for the longest, was the reason I was able to guess the term to activate the driftglobe."

'You said you wanted me to trust you so we can work together. Are you lot now going to respond helpfully, or are you going to respond in a way that leaves me wishing I'd never opened my mouth?'

"There's another thing we need to discuss, too. Kai, you mentioned that when there has been a delay in me sharing information, it's felt like I don't trust you all. While it's been true that I've been relying on my own abilities around the timing of sharing information, the delays you've been seeing are most often due to one of two practical issues I've been encountering rather than me not trusting you. It might surprise you to know that the delays in me communicating information have frustrated me, too; this has just been the first time we've slowed down long enough to be able to have a conversation about it."

"The single most common cause of those delays is what feels to me like the breakneck pace we run around doing things paired with the number of things we're all doing, which then leaves me struggling to figure out the timing to communicate something. Everything we've been doing has seemed like it needs doing, and so I've just taken that as an indicator that the timing for sharing was wrong, and in the meantime, as we've moved from activity to activity, I've just kept asking myself about the information I'm sitting on, 'Does this seem immediately relevant to what we're doing? Does this seem potentially relevant to what we're doing?' The bit I figured out about Jeyev is a good example of something I sat on for a time because it didn't seem immediately relevant, but at the point I did share it, it seemed clear that information was definitely potentially relevant to what we were going to be doing next, and so then I made it a point to share it. But I honestly don't like the pressure of feeling forced to do it that way, because, like you, I worry about what could happen if I make a misjudgment." She takes a deep breath.

"I do have an idea about a better way to possibly handle this moving forward, and I'd like to know what you all think about it. When I pick up on a piece of information, I'll do my usual check around 'Does this seem immediately relevant to what we're now doing? Does this seem potentially relevant to what we're now doing?' and if the answer to either of those questions is yes, I'll share it. However, if the answer to those two questions is 'no', I'll say, 'I have a mushla.' Mushla is simply a nonsense word that is short for My Uncle Svislam's Hairy Left Armpit, which I propose simply because it's funny and conveys the idea of an inside joke that we're all in on." She gives a small smile, as though smiling is something she's not had a lot of reason to do in her life. "But what it means is that I've picked up on something but don't believe it's immediately relevant to our current activity. That can then give you guys the chance to assess whether you think it's more important to press ahead with whatever we're doing or stop and hear the mushla. I can sit on that mushla for at least two to three activities before I'm at risk of forgetting about it, and if we go long enough, I'll simply remind you that I'm still sitting on it. Another good thing about doing it this way is that if I do happen to forget, one of you might remember." She now searches their eyes, curious to hear their thoughts.  

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Movement:

Object Interaction:

Mount Action:

Mount Movement:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (4 per long and short rest, for 1d8)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d8). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Cutting Words (requires use of bardic inspiration)

Also at 3rd level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others. When a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature’s roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the GM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage. The creature is immune if it can’t hear you or if it’s immune to being charmed.

Heat Metal

Until the spell ends (up to 1 minute), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage (1d8 fire damage for each level the spell is cast at, minimum 2nd level) again.

Ammunition:

20 arrows in quiver, 0 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 2nd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bard spells available for spontaneous casting: 

• Cantrips (3/3 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery, message
  • 1st level (4/4 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds
  • 2nd (3/3 slots): invisibility, heat metal, enhance ability
  • 3rd (2/2 slots): dispel magic, hypnotic pattern

Class Features:

• 4/4 Bardic Inspiration (1d8) with Font of Inspiration, recovered after a long or short rest
  • Song of Rest (Use on any short rest - anyone who hears her performance and chooses to regain a hit die gains an extra 1d6 of HP.)
  • Jack of All Trades (add 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.)
  • Bardic College = College of Lore. Gain expertise in 2 skills you already have proficiency in, and proficiency in 3 new skills. (Choosing Persuasion and Deception for Expertise, adding Nature, Stealth, and Religion for Proficiency.)

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

The discussion

Coltan spits his ale a bit mid-swallow when Mery shows and shares her new anchor to a witches' coven. He wipes his mouth and sets his ale down before he spills more. "Reorx save us," he mutters to himself as he stares at Mery as she continues and discusses why she keeps secrets.

After an uncomfortable silence, the Apprentice is the first to stoically reply. "Mery, I should Identify that amulet as soon as possible. And, Reorx may allow me to Remove that Curse from you. I'll pray to Him tonight for guidance."

Then, with a deep breath, he continues as calmly as he can, "Mery. Rushing at a breakneck speed? Yes, things have happened fast, but we can walk and talk. We can eat and talk. We can even ride boats and horses and talk. There is no reason why we cannot talk. Even if its just crazy talk." He forces himself not to look at Hunni.

"I believe your recipe for keeping secrets produces bad results. I would suggest in the future, you just share what's on your mind, when it's on your mind. Or, not. But keeping secrets that affect us all, is not good. For example, I suspect that amulet allows the witches to scry on every conversation that you are in. So, they now know what our next mission is. And, they could sell that information to an agent of the Dragon Queen. That's bad."

He pauses holding his head in his hand and continues, "look. We'll try to fix that amulet, but what I'm really waiting to hear from you is this: can you be dependable on the mission? Can you share information that you have that we need?" He exhales heavily grabbing his ale like crutch and downing the tankard. He surveys everyone while he walks over to reload his ale.

OOC

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Action:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Concentration:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Cantrips

War Caster

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 21 (Plate, Shield +1) | HP: 38/38 () | HD: 4/4 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing. Force all attacks targeted at mount to target Artanis instead. Mount has Evasion

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis grabs the wooden amulet of Kiri-Jolith around his own neck, and makes a small sign to ward off evil as Mery produces the dark shard. "If Reorx cannot offer guidance, perhaps, Hunni, your contact with the Tower can?" he suggests hesitantly, "But otherwise I agree with Coltan. Instead of worrying about whether it's relevant or not, just say what it is. You're right we're rushing around at breakneck speed, that doesn't seem likely to change. If it's not relevant, we can all forget it and move on. If it is, we all know. If we all know and it later becomes relevant, more people knowing increases the odds of one of us remembering, even if you're not there. Maybe I'm just a simple farm lad, but simple's often enough to get the job done." He leaves unsaid why she may not be present, after all she's just presented another reason she could up and vanish.

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Mount Action: 

Mount Movement: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d8 + 6) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [3]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.

RDA Javelin (range, thrown) [10]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage, 1d4 fire damage.

Lance (special). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d12 + 6) piercing damage, 1d4 Fire damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Commanding Rally 3/3 (Long Rest)

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 3/3 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 5/5 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (6 THP).

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Ravenwing, of clan Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 40/40(hd 5d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 19 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

Hunni practically spits out her bread when Mery reveals the amulet, but it appears that she is more amused than alarmed or angry. "You found your own Jezebel!" she exclaims, apparently pleased. "Yeah, if you don't want it, we should go see Wyhan. Honestly, we should see her either way. Don't worry; I don't want to take your amulet, and I doubt she will want to either, it doesn't seem to be something that will help me immediately, although... Another evil god could be useful..." her voice trails off, as she says perhaps a bit too much.

"Thank you for sharing this, it is important, although, like Coltan said, it would have also been important to know before we all started talking about how much progress each strike team had made, how the fight was going, all those details and bits of trivia everyone is so worried about right now," she comments, waving her hand around even as she chews on a bit more cheese, as unconcerned about what everyone else is so worried about as ever. "Your Musha word works for me," she mispronounces, "But you aren't in hot stew water with me, so I can't talk for everyone. Um, are you guys going to eat all that fruit? Because, uh, it would be a shame for it to go to waste. Let me get some of that..." the gully dwarf wraps some of the cut fruit in a napkin. Then, after she mumbles a bit and touches her whip, a selection of the meats and cheeses float up and join the fruit.

"Understand, Mery. When you are strong, we are all strong. When you are weak, we are all weak. We are on your side, we are all together, we all win or lose together. Nobody in this group wants you to fail. We are just all afraid, and we all make mistakes, and there is room for mistakes, because even when someone puts too much salty rock in the stew, we can always add more mushroom and rat and mud, but only if we know the salty rock is in there. We can't fix the stew if we don't know it is ruined. Nothing is ruined if we know, but... Secrets are only helpful if you are trying to ruin the stew. If you are trying to ruin the stew, keep the salty rocks secret and we will eat it and be sad. I think I kind of lost my train of thought. Do you think they can bring us some stew? No, jerky, that would keep better." Even without her paying attention, the napkin folds itself neatly, and floats into her backpack, before another napkin spreads itself out, and slices of bread float over to be packed. "We are all on the same team. Let us be on the same team."

OOC

Action: Casting Unseen Servant

Bonus Action: Unseen Servant is ordered to pack up the food for transport. Steal the food? Whatever. Hunni wants food.

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 7 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 15, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 4) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +4) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +4) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2, cast at 3rd level, refreshed at short rest

Free Spells from Feats: 1/long rest - Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Suggestion

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 2nd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 14.  Spell Attack Modifier +6.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite ©, Hex © (feat), Dissonant Whispers (feat), Unseen Servant, Blur ©, Misty Step, Suggestion © (feat), Hunger of Hadar ©
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast, Thirsting Blade

Life Channel. You can channel your life force into the power of your magic. When a creature you can see within 60 feet of you fails a saving throw against a spell that deals damage that you cast, you can expend a number of Hit Dice equal to the level of the spell. Roll the expended Hit Dice and add them together. The damage that the creature takes increases by an amount equal to that total.

Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location. While wearing this amulet, you are hidden from divination magic. You can't be targeted by such magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.