SIDE: It's Only Brain Surgery

Sohala

spacer.png

The scan was minimal in nature and homed in on the matchbook he was provided.

His counter-scan shows the location as a heavily encrypted shell around code reminiscent of the SIM. The scan appeared to come from the location itself.

To Enoch's trained eye, the well-dressed automaton looked incomplete, unpolished, perhaps a prototype interface. Similar in function to the barkeep, but far more complex.

Prax's mouth quirked again, "Eager, good." She looked down at her hands, which were moving as if interacting with an unseen interface. "I do recall our initial data exchange." The room's walls and floors started to match the earlier aesthetics one large grid at a time. Her hands stopped moving and she looked up again, "And what do you make of what you were provided this time? Any insights?"

OOC

You are right of course.
Sorry, I said 'met' but I meant a meaningful interaction, proper introductions, 'welcome to the team', etc

Her avatar is of her and could be mistaken as the real thing.

She is very much testing him with the questions.

*Sorry for my Delays, RL has not been kind to me the last month or so.*

Enoch shrugs. "I presume since you aptly stymied a routine scan from me last time, that you likely did so today. You would not have brought me here without reason though, so some aspect of my skills, connections, or other attributes warranted your outreach. What is it that you want of me?"

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

She shrugged, "An unbiased view of oneself is often hard to come by, sadly sharing isn't one of my strong suits." She pulled a folder out from midair, opened it up, and then dumped the contents out. A 3D rendering of the file Enoch was already provided compiled and then hovered between the pair. "You are fortunate today though, and right." She tilted her head, "I'll ask you again, what do you make of this?"

Once Enoch presented a solid grasp of the technology before him, Prax put forth her intentions for bringing him here, "Can you 'fix' one?"

[Asked what fixing is]

"The Mark 0 Biological Component (AKA the brain) has degraded beyond the point of function and needs to be replaced." Her face screwed up and her tone showed discomfort, "And I refuse to take donations from living subjects."

[Asking what she expects]

"Clone and synth are acceptable, as would artificial, cybernetic, or any combination therein." She felt a need to add the last, "And no OEM code, they must be blanks, and made to last."

[Can I see what I am working on?]

"Show me you can do any of that and we can talk about next steps."

OOC

Go whatever speed is tenable for you. In all likelihood, this thread could become moot on a whim.

We appear to be doing it wrong, maybe? Guess I just dump a bunch of stuff?

[Prax is testing Encoch to see if he even understands the content before him.]

[Prax confirms if he can 'fix' one, if he had to.]

[Prax asks if he thinks he can make a replacement for the Mark 0 Biological Component (AKA the brain). Specifically, so they don't need to be donated by live subjects.]

[Synth, clone, artificial, fancy computer, or something in-between. No OEM code, straight blank component, made to last.]

[She denies the full specs until she sees progress.]

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

"Your terms may be different than mine. I'm not sure what you mean by 'fix one'. I'm a skilled biomechanics capable of installing and maintaining cybernetic implants. I'm also a competent chemist and can craft many pharmaceuticals given proper components and time.

I cannot replace a brain, but I can do neurocybernatic implantation.

Synth, possibly, I have the theoretical knowledge but have not attempted. Same with cloning. I have familiarity and competency in fabricating extremely technologically advanced items, including computers. I have knowledge of the arcane, but have no magical talent myself. I'm not sure of some of your other terms. OEM, 'straight blank, 'made to last'."

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

[Cannot replace a brain]

"The assemblage is quite empty and inactive in its current state." Feeling a need to clarify she added, "You are not taking a brain out of anything. I will not allow someone to sacrifice themselves just to succeed, not in this." Her stance on this appeared to be a sticking point, "If you cannot accomplish this, I will have to see if any of the other candidates are up to the task." Prax knew it was a fairly hollow threat for anyone who may have been watching.

[Talk turns to details]

"There must be nothing that can interfere or influence the function of the replacement, hard-, soft-, or firmware. I would insist upon virgin moly-circs, but that could lead to untested failures." Uncertainty shows through in her next words, "Unless testing shows otherwise, each should be uniformal in their production." That faded some as she further explained the expectations, "They should have suitable redundancies and self-repair functions, along with a ruggedness for any battlefield and an MTBF that matches its housing." Seeing a questioning look she added, "Thousands of years."

OOC

Bleh... so, meh... misunderstandings, branching conversations, inorganic. Not my preferred.

*shrug* Speed run I guess.

[Replacement- the specs call for an intact/active brain, her goal is an alternative]

[Method- she isn't deciding, that is on Enoch]

[OEM/Blank- no hidden codes, no required 'drivers' it needs to 'plug-'n-play' as a viable replacement]

[Made to last- redundancies, wargrade+, expected to function the life of the device, thousands of years]

[The room should function as a mini-SIM for him to work. Devices/space there as needed.]

[Assuming Enoch passes whatever goalposts wrathgon set that Prax was unable to do so and presents a possible replacement, she gives the full specs for the two 'bots i am aware of for refinement]

[Post handover, Prax would be securing space/tech based on the SIM versions to get Enoch a real space to work]

Enoch first has to decide how he will approach the problem, from list above she asking to design a human brain that is not a living thing that will last thousands of years. SO he needs to decide how to get to that point then can roll to see if he has the tech knowledge to do it

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

OOC

[It can be living, partially living, or not, just as long as its not from a living host...]

[Before final phase, after securing site/tech, if technological, she will attempt to integrate magitech for Prima Magi existence]

[Player;/: Not sure where to start]

"Clarification needed. Are you trying to transfer a consciousness, or create a new one? I'll assume the former.

I would likely start with cloning the biological origin. The origin would need an implanted memory bank which I would use to create a persona copy and memory backup.Then, I'd copy the data from the host to the clone.

Rapid aging/development of the recipient is possible, theoretically, but aging technology is known to be some of the trickiest. This world has such technology, and I may ask your hacking assistance in acquiring it, both as payment for my services and for use on the project itself."

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

OOC

[wrathgon will need to clarify. My take is neither. It leans towards implant, but has some net connection?]

[If required, test subject, provided by Prax, should be non-sentient, barring that, a volunteer, then will see if copying is an option to avoid risk/damage/death.]

So while a cloned brain will fill the spot you do not know enough about the interfact or what it is going into to detemine the specs of what is required of said brain Enoch. Does she need a human brain, animal brain and what is the function that brain will do. Too many variable missing to determine the best course of action

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

Seeing his progress had stalled, but that he had what amounted to a functional brain, Prax authorized the release of further information. She just hoped he wouldn't back out now.

Far from afraid of getting elbow-deep into a problem, she made herself available to assist as needed. She may have failed in her own attempts, but she was no slouch. She couldn't afford to be one, not when she couldn't trust anyone else to work on her 'ware.

OOC

[Don't look at me, at step one she is sharing everything she knows and has access to on the subject, save two details: the larger hardware it fits into and what exactly is going 'into' the brain.]

[Right, speed run, give him everything, it will go faster.]

[Proof of any created, functional brain, constitutes a success at step one. As, apparently, Prax couldn't even get that far.]

[She is not above helping, but I got the impression, from wrathgon, that she is nearly useless at the task.]

[I would assume there is some integrity check program for 'bots, so they don't have to risk themselves...]

So as more info is added to the file as it is released Enoch can now see that the Defense robot seen around is what she is trying to repair. It seems they have living brains as their core processors and from what she has shared some of the units need new brains to function.

While the tech is just out of your understanding( TL 9) you can come up with some ideas how to get these units running again.

Option one: Design a machine brain that is as complex as the human brain. The timeframe for this would not be short.

Option two: Clone empty brain then somehow imprint data onto it, that is beyond your power as that is something you want to do yourself

Option Three(not a option in her mind) Transplant live brain into unit but the emotional damage of being inside a machine is untested and from own studies fails with very bad effects.

Option Four: Have a human pilot that would drive unit with some interface, it would need to be able to read and use the pilot brain for the higher functions of the unit, dangerous if unit is damage or destroyed possible harm to pilot.

They are your 4 top off your head choices. If can gain more access to the tech of the world, you may find other options.

image.png.329c2e551630308bfa79045c90403ef7.png

Prax was a little surprised that Enoch hadn't moved forward with prototyping and testing on his own, considering his earlier eagerness and the environment they were doing the initial work within. Taking the hesitation as possibly something more, she gave a curious, "Is there, anything else?" Assuming he didn't voice any concerns, she encouraged moving forward.

OOC

Looks like a viable path with her concerns covered. Other than longevity, which I don't know how to fully test for...

I would assume they can perform some rapid testing for function. If it passes, then test what happens when one intentionally fails; for the purposes of recovery. Following a successful test compared to the expected results. Move the operation to the physical world, where the required space and equipment should have been assembled. Verify that the reality engine didn't give false results with multiple tests.

Move on to a test subject. As noted, volunteer, along with using a copy if possible. If it is green across the board, time for the real thing.