The Purple Dolphin Inn

dalamb

Fenza
spacer.png

I overhear the small pixie.

I turn to Quotara. "Excuse me, just a moment. I'll be right back."

Then I stride over toward the pixie, calling out as I walk, "Scallywags and pirates?" I stop before him, my eyebrows contorting. "I beg your pardon, but I am no such thing."

spacer.png

Zette sees her Mistress take off and flits up to face Quotara. "She means no offense. Come, if you want - we can't let her pick a fight here!" Zette zips after Fenza.

Edited by Sundust (see edit history)

Fenza
spacer.png

Zette hovers by Fenza's should and whispers somethingSecret Language (Speak with Master) in her ear.

spacer.png

I roll my eyes in response to the whisper and sigh. I re-address the pixie. "I mean, I'm sure it was just a manner of speech and playful banter. My name is Firenzabella Sendarine - or Fenza, as my friends call me - and as you may, too." I nod respectfully toward. "This is Zette" - I motion to my suddenly beaming pest - "and I have just met this fine lady Quotara, who is here for the same reason I believe most of us are."

"I in fact have great admiration for those with the kinds of skills I imagine you have. They can be quite handy while on adventure. It's a pleasure to meet you." I nod to him.

The Stage - Sven

Erika offered a small smile. “It seems like a difference without a distinction.” The musician said as she looked down at Sven. “But provided that you keep your fingers away from the rest of the crew, I suspect that you and I will have no quarrels.” Erika closed her eyes for a few moments as she thought about it. “Though I suppose it is true, having someone of a mindset of finding hidden things can be helpful for finding the hidden nooks and crannies that a captain and crew use to avoid detection.”

At the question of her motivations, Erika’s right arm and back seemed to itch unpleasantly, and she barely resisted the urge to scratch at them. Instead she shifted her backpack which helped a little with the phantom pains. “I wish to strike back against Iverina.” She answered truthfully with a cold smile. “And the Swift Vengeance is the swiftest way to accomplish that goal.” Erika’s smile turned into a smirk as she attempted to make a joke with the name.

“And besides… I suspect the crew will need someone who is level headed. A long life tends to lend a certain degree of patience and wisdom.” Erika said with a small smile.

Quotara

9nsSI4a.jpeg.c455d26043630e145762439804aa245e.jpegQuotara Windswept HP: 80/80 Saves: Fort 9, Ref 15, Will 6 AC: 32, 32(touch), 23 (flat-footed), Init: +8 Speed: 40'|Climb '|Swim 70'
Skills: Bal 21, Climb 21, Hide 26, Intimidate 18, Jump 19, Geo 15, Listen 13, MS 26, Perform 16, Search 24, Spot 20, Tumble 24, Swim: 19

With a flick of her tail she twists the ring on her finger, rising up onto her feet to follow Fenza. "It is good that you are not against such skills completely." The slim pale woman bow slightly to the pixie. "It gives me pleasure to meet one of your kind. I have been told to watch my words that you hear. our skills live up to the stories." While he words are spoken evenly, it is clear she is picking them with care and watching Sven closely.

Cora Kaluuya

spacer.png

The door to the Purple Dolphin swings open once more and a young octotaur girl enters, looking flustered. Though she looks broadly human from the waist up, she walks in a strange, undulating motion on eight tentacular legs, with which she manages to bump into a number of tables and chairs as she makes her way towards the bar, almost spilling a few drinks.

The tavern area is crowded and there seem to be a lot of colourful characters here but, knowing she is running late, Cora doesn't pause to take much of it in. Instead, after peering at the sign for a moment, she turns and makes her way directly for the stairs.

May as well ask about the officer jobs! she thinks. I'm sure there'll be space in the crew if I don't get it.

Upstairs, she straightens her jerkin and hat hurriedly before rushing towards the front desk.

"Uh... hi there!" She says, her tone cheery but a little nervous. "Is this the interviews for the Swift Vengeance? I'm Cora. I'd like to apply! Er... sorry I'm late; I got a bit lost on the way here! I'm not used to not being able to swim over things. But I'm here now and, um, I think I would be a great fit for this job! I know all about the sea, and sailing, and, um, pirates, and I know all the stories, and I can breathe underwater and swim - obviously - and I can read and write, too, and, um, I know I might not look it, but I'm pretty good in a fight too! And I can multitask! I see you don't seem to have a lot of my folk here - we're really good at that - and, oh! I know a little magic too! I should have mentioned that first, huh? So, uh, yes, you should interview me! I mean, you should give me the job.! What do you think?"

The Stage - Erika

Sven.png.a51d218807e0799d6405f6f3d17a2604.png

"Hmm... Level headed huh? One usually would call that the captain. But I understand the need for vengeance. It seems we are both in the same regarding that."

Sven smirks at her. "Now, I wouldn't call the Swift Vengeance the fastest ship on the seas, but it is one of the more successful ones. I think if we get aboard, our time will be full of interesting adventures. But how do you feel about attacking non-Ivernian ships? We may need to at times."

The Stage-Sven

Erika smiled softly as she looked down at Sven. “We all have our points where we need a stable person… otherwise chaplains wouldn’t be needed aboard ships.” Erika explained, leaning back against the hardwood of the stage. “And I worry that some here are more the leap before looking type. Which can be great when there is action needed… But we don’t get paid if we bite off more than we can chew.”

Erika’s head tilted to the side at Sven’s description of the Swift Vengeance. “There are few things faster on the water than an Elvan Wingship, especially with a seasoned windsinger.” She said simply. “Personally I could keep her moving at a solid 10 knots through even the most becalmed seas for a solid day just with magic alone. Nothing short of a Theurgeme could possibly escape her… And even then, they would need to be traveling against the winds to shake her.” She let her voice drop to lower levels as she muttered under her breath as she recalled a less than pleasant week at sea. “Not that I would be able to do much besides keep the ship going at that speed.”

The musician let out a small breath at the suggestion of hunting non-Ivernian ships. “Given that we would give those that surrender quarter and are not intentionally attempting to kill those that resist…” Erika closed her eyes as she pondered the answer. “It is what it is. The funds will go to help fight Ivernia, which is in itself a long term win.”

The Stage - Erika

Not pushing any further, he moved on.

"You know, we would make a good team. You provide the wind, I provide the course. We can get to wherever we want to go before anyone knew! As for what we do when we get there, that is up to the captain. I only have three skills navigating, blowing stuff up and singing badly!"

Lastanor Nightwater

SahuaginDDtransparent.png.25eb0739bea280163e7e1e369828781c.png

Lastanor muttered a prestidigitation, drying the ink on what was now looking very much like a treasure map, before he leaned back and squinted through an open window at the sky.
"Evening approaches," he intoned in a low voice, still trying for 'mysterious cloaked stranger', before turning to Rib Lilysinger (if they were still there), "I am more normally nocturnal, but today has been a somewhat busy day...and wizardry tends to require a great deal of rest and meditation."

Packing his books and newly-made treasure map (leading to the wreck of the Wise Turtle) and making sure his satchel was properly shut, the cloaked sahuagin stood up from his chosen table and began weaving his way towards the inn's keeper, pausing only to tilt his head curiously at what looked like an octopus in a hurry.
"Pardon me," he asked as he approached the innkeeper, "Do you have a saltwater pool? For aquatic elves and other aquatic beings?"
An answer.
"Ah, good. I thought I would have to go to the fishery nearer the water."
A short exposition on the history of the Purple Dolphin Inn and adjacent public bathhouse.
"Huh, interesting. So, how much would it be to reserve a space in the pool?"
Brief discussion of price.
"Alright then, here you are."

A few seconds later, and a few coins poorer, Lastanor turned around and started slipping through the crowd, his long robe making it look somewhat like he was gliding along the floor, towards a doorway at the back of the inn.

Mechanics

Character Sheet

Making stuff up, but I think a higher-end inn catering to sailors in a fantasy world would have accommodations available for aquatic beings.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, Arbuthnott said:

2.jpg.4719b38472b5d6adbaef7906ad61c001.jpg

Ħraan Evermeer

Her expression shifts into something complicated when Thorvald talks about privateering. "There's a lot of history up there then, eh? Your old captain have ties to any governance like this lot? By the sounds of it, Anderon has more than a few privateers out on the blue."

Thorvald Hrolfson

Thorvald's smile faded a little and his face darkened. "You could say that."

Then, like the storms he played with, his demeanor changed again and he laughed, "If the Iverinans want to subsidize crippling ale addiction, who am I to argue?"

OOC:

Statblock

Thorvald Hrolfson
Male CG Human (for now) Paladin 8/Ranger 1//Cleric 5/Stormlord4, [B]Level[/B] ECL 9, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 84/84, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 26, [B]Touch[/B] 22, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 22, [B]Fort[/B] 18, [B]Ref[/B] 13, [B]Will[/B] 16, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] +9/+9   
[B]weapon focus, specialization, Weapon Mastery  Long Spear +1, Changeling [/B] +18/+18 (1d8+12, 1d6 elec/acid, x3)
[B]Weapon Mastery Force Javelins +1 (infinite) [/B] +13/+13 (1d6+8, 1d6 elec, x2)
[B]Full multi-attack [/B] -2 all attacks (+1d6 elec ea.,  )
[B]Shield Spell (from his cloak) [/B] (+4 Shield, +1 Dex, +11 Misc)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 20, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 18

Conditions

Steadying Robe (CM): No concentration checks to cast spells during violent movement (like a storm or running mount)
Longspear: Weapon Focus (+1 to hit), Weapon Specialization (+2 dmg), 
Weapon Mastery: +2 to hit, +2 damage all piercing weapons.
Aura of Resolve: immune to compulsion effects, 10ft allies have +4 bonus to saves
Divine Grace: Charisma to all saves
Divine Health: Immune to Disease
Ship's Mage: +1 Caster Level for spells cast on Swift Vengeance.

Immune to Detect Thoughts

Per Day Abilities

Thorvald: 
Lay on Hands: 32 hp
Travel Domain: 9 (free, 1 round at a time, freedom of movement)
Turn Undead: 11 (60 ft, 1d20 +2 + Cha, 2d6 + cleric level + Cha to damage)
Turn Fire/Rebuke Water: 11 (60 ft, 1d20 +2 + Cha, 2d6 + cleric level + Cha to damage)
Smite Evil: 4 (1/round, +Cha to hit, plus Pal/Rng level to dmg)
Divine Might: turn spent (free, + Cha to damage, 1 full round)
Anklet of Translocation (MIC): 2 (swift, teleport 10 ft)
Boots of Swift Passage (MIC): 5 (move, teleport 20 ft)
Healing Devotion: 1 (immediate, fast healing 2, 1 min, full round for others, 1 Turn)
Animal Devotion: 1 (swift, various animal benefits, 1 min, 3 Turns)
Third Eye Clarity: 1 (immediate, negate confused, dazed, fascinated, or stunned)

Nadira's Cloak: 

Rations: 3 (enough for one person, one meal)
Tent: 1 (large enough for one person)
Pure, cool water/hot sugared tea: 2 gallons (1 quart at a time)
Shield: 3 (1 minute, +4 Shield bonus to AC, Force effect, affect incorporeal touch) 
Minor Image: 1 (like silent image, but Concentration +2 rounds)

Gwrtheyrn:

Hand of the Mage: Mage hand at will
Healing Belt: 3 (charges, 2d8, 3d8 or 4d8 healing based on charges used)

Ħraan Evermeer

(Thorvald)

Leaning back against a wall, Ħraan grabs a discarded ale and raises it in toast. "I'll drink to that," and then she does so.

"So, chasing pirates and wrestling squid aside, what do you do for fun? We could be here a while... you ever wrestle smaller folks? Loser buys the next round?"

The Stage-Sven

Erika closed her eyes as she leaned into the hardwood of the stage, humming softly to herself. “This is true, having a skilled navigator is very important aboard a ship. Being that I am often controlling the wind, it is… Difficult for me to plot a course and keep it. Like trying to juggle one too many balls in the air.” Erika said with a small shrug. “But I suppose it is like any other skill that one can learn.”

The left side of Erika’s lips quirked upwards in a half smile at the suggestion that singing badly was among Sven’s talents. “The first step of learning to sing is learning to sing badly.” She offered with a patient explanation. “Many people who might have the gift of music never embrace that doing something badly is the first step in getting better. Being aware that you are bad at something is the second step… Observing what is going wrong, and slowly making adjustments.” 

“That is how you get better. Observe what works, what doesn’t work, and consciously focus on improving… And before you know it, you’ll get better without being aware of your efforts.” She tapped her fingers lightly on her violin case as she focused on a memory. “At least, that is the way that I learned music. Everyone else… I can’t speak for.”

The Stage - Erika

He laughed at her musements of his singing.

"Well, now! Singing badly can be just as much a skill as singing well! Especially if it is done on purpose. I'm not always a bad singer, just like I am not always a bad dancer or for that matter, always a thief! I will say, two of my favorite things to steal is the stage and a heart! While I might try to steal yours later, how about you and I try and steal the stage tonight?"

He pulls out a tiny flute from what seems out of nowhere.

"I have been trying to get people to sing with me with very little much success. Maybe we can steal their gazes with a song together?"

23 hours ago, Arbuthnott said:

Ħraan Evermeer

"So, chasing pirates and wrestling squid aside, what do you do for fun? We could be here a while... you ever wrestle smaller folks? Loser buys the next round?"

Thorvald Hrolfson

Thorvald ponders that question for a bit. "I've wrestled here and there. Never for a bet though." He looks wistfully at his empty tankard, then he smiled at her, "At least, not for money". Stretching his considerable back, he looked around. "So, what brings you to this ship? Looking to test yourself against other applicants? Maybe we should have a wrestling contest and see who gets in." He smiled and looked around for some kind of bar server. The actual bar was too far away.

OOC:

Statblock

Thorvald Hrolfson
Male CG Human (for now) Paladin 8/Ranger 1//Cleric 5/Stormlord4, [B]Level[/B] ECL 9, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 84/84, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 26, [B]Touch[/B] 22, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 22, [B]Fort[/B] 18, [B]Ref[/B] 13, [B]Will[/B] 16, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] +9/+9   
[B]weapon focus, specialization, Weapon Mastery  Long Spear +1, Changeling [/B] +18/+18 (1d8+12, 1d6 elec/acid, x3)
[B]Weapon Mastery Force Javelins +1 (infinite) [/B] +13/+13 (1d6+8, 1d6 elec, x2)
[B]Full multi-attack [/B] -2 all attacks (+1d6 elec ea.,  )
[B]Shield Spell (from his cloak) [/B] (+4 Shield, +1 Dex, +11 Misc)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 20, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 18

Conditions

Steadying Robe (CM): No concentration checks to cast spells during violent movement (like a storm or running mount)
Longspear: Weapon Focus (+1 to hit), Weapon Specialization (+2 dmg), 
Weapon Mastery: +2 to hit, +2 damage all piercing weapons.
Aura of Resolve: immune to compulsion effects, 10ft allies have +4 bonus to saves
Divine Grace: Charisma to all saves
Divine Health: Immune to Disease
Ship's Mage: +1 Caster Level for spells cast on Swift Vengeance.

Immune to Detect Thoughts

Per Day Abilities

Thorvald: 
Lay on Hands: 32 hp
Travel Domain: 9 (free, 1 round at a time, freedom of movement)
Turn Undead: 11 (60 ft, 1d20 +2 + Cha, 2d6 + cleric level + Cha to damage)
Turn Fire/Rebuke Water: 11 (60 ft, 1d20 +2 + Cha, 2d6 + cleric level + Cha to damage)
Smite Evil: 4 (1/round, +Cha to hit, plus Pal/Rng level to dmg)
Divine Might: turn spent (free, + Cha to damage, 1 full round)
Anklet of Translocation (MIC): 2 (swift, teleport 10 ft)
Boots of Swift Passage (MIC): 5 (move, teleport 20 ft)
Healing Devotion: 1 (immediate, fast healing 2, 1 min, full round for others, 1 Turn)
Animal Devotion: 1 (swift, various animal benefits, 1 min, 3 Turns)
Third Eye Clarity: 1 (immediate, negate confused, dazed, fascinated, or stunned)

Nadira's Cloak: 

Rations: 3 (enough for one person, one meal)
Tent: 1 (large enough for one person)
Pure, cool water/hot sugared tea: 2 gallons (1 quart at a time)
Shield: 3 (1 minute, +4 Shield bonus to AC, Force effect, affect incorporeal touch) 
Minor Image: 1 (like silent image, but Concentration +2 rounds)

Gwrtheyrn:

Hand of the Mage: Mage hand at will
Healing Belt: 3 (charges, 2d8, 3d8 or 4d8 healing based on charges used)

12 hours ago, TheBard101 said:

Thorvald Hrolfson

Thorvald ponders that question for a bit. "I've wrestled here and there. Never for a bet though." He looks wistfully at his empty tankard, then he smiled at her, "At least, not for money". Stretching his considerable back, he looked around. "So, what brings you to this ship? Looking to test yourself against other applicants? Maybe we should have a wrestling contest and see who gets in." He smiled and looked around for some kind of bar server. The actual bar was too far away.

Rib Lilysinger finds Thorvald's suggestion amusing and responds with a playful grin: "I'd prefer a musical contest," pausing to think and Stage whispering, "Though Erika might be too close a competition for my tastes." And with more enthusiasm suggests, "Or a game of darts."  And continues more wistfully, "But with Sven's day and night shift comment, maybe there's room for more windsingers too, and a chance to make music together." Rib is excited about the prospect of friendly competition and can imagine the lively atmosphere. He leans back in his seat, eagerly awaiting peoples responses.

image.png.6973f5004ee02c050e1e0dbc9ecac53b.png