The Purple Dolphin Inn

dalamb

2.jpg.4719b38472b5d6adbaef7906ad61c001.jpg

Ħraan Evermeer

(Thorvald and Rib)

Ħraan's expression turns sheepish as she hides behind a final swig of her ale. "I'm not expressly comparing myself to anyone else here, although I think it's pretty important to push yourself when you can.. Would be a good test of myself to wrestle yeh, rather than a way to judge you; as long as you're game? At the least, you're likely to get a drink out of it," she winks at him.

As Rib chimes in, she raises an eyebrow as she considers his relaxed posture. "I'd think the more we can get going on, the better, whether we win or lose. It'd be a better way of getting to know one another than words, I reckon, and a more enjoyable way of passing the evening than sitting here for hours on end." Looking around at everyone, she stands and glances towards the door leading to the crowded taproom below. "What d'you say, boys? Music, wrestling and grog; how can you turn that down?"

No matter who chooses to join her or remain upstairs, Ħraan nods farewell to anyone remaining as she leads those interested down into the crowded taproom. She glances around interestedly at all of the new arrivals as she heads for an open area with a bit of space.

The Stage- Sven and Rib

Resting her hands on the stage, Erika gently pushed herself up to sit on the edge and let her feet dangle in the air. “I fear that I am immune to your charms.” Erika said with a small laugh at Sven’s suggestion of stealing her heart. “Plus I fear I am much too old for you.” She gave her salt and pepper hair a small shake to bring attention to the fact that there appeared to be an age gap between the two of them.

“You are much too kind.” Erika said in response to Rib’s comments about her skills. “But every musical contest is subjective in its own ways. My violin would find rave reviews in my native land of Farnasia, though in many other places it isn’t as strong a draw as a lute and a good voice. It is hard to compare pears to pears.” She smiled politely as a way to decline a competition. “But music is always more pleasant as a collective performance, greater than the sum of its parts.”

“I fear that likely the crew selection would be quite limited.” Erika answered truthfully. “Elven wingships are sadly not very spacious ships, and while you can in a pinch take on more… Comfortably they can have about…” A few of her fingers twitched as she did some mental math on spacing in her head. “25 to 35 crew on an extended voyage. And if one is hunting ships more than a few days out at sea… The ability to stretch one’s legs is always at a premium. And assuming the mid number, I would guess that Captain Zentaru is looking to hire maybe… four to six officers?” She shrugged her shoulders at the guess, trying to keep it as educated as possible. 

“Plus not to mention that more officers would mean less loot spread amongst them.” She added practically. “As most people here are not here out of the goodness of their hearts but instead to make a living, a secondary windsinger would likely be taken on as an apprentice who would draw part of the crew’s share.” Erika rolled her right foot around in small circles in time with an imaginary tempo. “The higher probability is that we might be hired for other roles… I am a… passably capable sawbones, and qualified to serve as a ship’s mage. Though neither is a skill I would preferably like aboard the ship.”

Erika’s cheeks took on a faint crimson tint. “Sorry if I am too pessimistic. I do like to keep my expectations grounded and not get my hopes up too high.”

The Stage - Erika and Rib

Sven.png.a51d218807e0799d6405f6f3d17a2604.png

"Immune? Not likely. Regretful of a past or unwilling to do so are more a possibility. I can be a little too good looking for my own good. Also, never judge one on just looks. You never know how old a person is just by the color of ones hair! I could be 10, 40 or 200 years old and you'd never know it by my looks! And you can ask, but I'm not telling!"

He uses the tiny flute to punctuate his sentences and his hands move around fluidly while he talks.

"A musical contest is one thing. Just playing music to have fun is something else. I enjoy a good tune, both to play and to listen. As for crewing, what comes will come. Let us not worry about it right now and enjoy the time we have! If we don't sail together on this ship, maybe the next! There is always work to be found for those willing and able."

Sven looks at the two of them and swings his head back and forth looking at both as he speaks.

As Rib Lilysinger sits contemplating his future aboard the ship, a myriad of possibilities swirl in his mind like the ebb and flow of the ocean tide. Perhaps, he muses, he should consider casting a wider net when it comes to potential positions.
Erika's example of applying for both Mage and Windsinger roles strikes a chord with Rib. After all, why limit himself to just one role when he could bring his diverse skills to multiple aspects of ship life? With his proficiency in climbing and ropes, Rib entertains the idea of applying for the position of Boatswain. He envisions himself confidently leading the crew, inspiring competence, and ensuring the smooth operation of all deck activities.
But Rib's talents don't stop there. His weapon crafting and repair skills could make him a valuable addition as a Master-at-Arms, maintaining the ship's armaments and ensuring the crew is well-equipped for any challenge. Additionally, Rib ponders the role of the Moral Officer, recognizing the importance of fostering camaraderie and morale among the crew during long voyages.
However, as Rib considers these options, a twinge of pride tugs at his heart. Swallowing his pride, he contemplates the possibility of taking on the role of a humble deckhand. While it may not have the same prestige as some of the other positions, Rib recognizes the importance of every role aboard the ship and each crew member's contribution to its success.
With these thoughts swirling in his mind, Rib resolves to cast a wide net in his pursuit of a position aboard the ship, carefully considering each opportunity and embracing the potential for growth and adventure.

image.png.6973f5004ee02c050e1e0dbc9ecac53b.png
(Verse 1)
Come gather 'round, me hearties bold,
And hear a tale that's yet untold,
Of Rib Lilysinger, with dreams so grand,
A sailor true in a distant land.

(Chorus)
Oh, Rib Lilysinger, with a heart so brave,
From the shores of Vern, to the ocean wave,
He sings of dreams that soar so high,
A sailor's spirit that'll never die.

(Verse 2)
Erika, she's a mage and a windsinger too,
Inspiring awe with all she'll do,
Rib thinks perhaps he'll follow suit,
And chase his dreams with resolute.

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
Boatswain calls with ropes so tight,
Rib's hands are nimble in the moon's soft light,
He'll lead the crew with competence rare,
Through stormy seas and winds that tear.

(Chorus)

(Verse 4)
Master-at-Arms, with weapons keen,
Rib crafts and repairs with hands so keen,
On the deck, he'll stand with pride,
Protecting the ship on the ocean tide.

(Chorus)

(Verse 5)
Moral Officer, with words so wise,
Rib lifts the crew when spirits arise,
In tales and songs, he finds his way,
Guiding the ship through night and day.

(Chorus)

(Verse 6)
Yet pride may fall, like waves on sand,
Rib may find he needs a hand,
As a humble deckhand, he'll serve with pride,
With dreams of adventure on the ocean wide.

(Chorus)

(Outro)
So raise a cheer for Rib so bold,
A sailor true with dreams untold,
In the heart of the sea, he'll find his way,
And sail on to a brighter day.

https://app.suno.ai/song/d2acdc21-db77-4b8f-b8b0-c4a93e7f0af0

Edited by bloodsprite (see edit history)
Name
Perform (singing)
1d20+19 1

The Stage - Erika and Rib

Sven.png.a51d218807e0799d6405f6f3d17a2604.png

As Rib starts to sing and play, Sven waits to get a feel for the tune before joining in with his flute.

Perform(Woodwinds)

Edited by joran1313 (see edit history)
Name
Perform(Woodwinds)
1d20+12 16

Lastanor Nightwater

SahuaginDDtransparent.png.25eb0739bea280163e7e1e369828781c.png"Rib Lilysinger, with a heart so brave, from the shores of Vern to the ocean wave..." Lastanor quietly sang to himself, one room over, "He sings in tune and sings in rhyme, which is good 'cause he's singing all the time."
He blinked, "...Huh, that did rhyme."

Lastanor raised his arms and stretched out with a yawn, before looking around at the room around him.
The former bathhouse around him had laid abandoned for a long time before being claimed by the Purple Dolphin inn next door; as a result, ivy and moss had grown into the walls, and that combined with a visit from a druid had resulted in the former bathhouse now resembling an indoor lagoon.

Stepping forward, Lastanor's robes flaked away into wispy shadowstuff as he approached the naturalized pool, leaving the sahuagin clad in aquatic-elf-esque swimwear.
Bending down and poking his webbed hand in the water, checking that it was actually seawater (which it was, if slightly filtered), Lastanor smiled, checking his waterproof satchels to make sure they were sealed properly before stepping in and slowly sinking beneath the surface of the once-bath, now lagoon.
Depositing said satchels at the bottom of the pool, the sahuagin allowed himself to drift, taking in the comfortable watery environment.

Unfortunately, that was when one of the inn's serving staff happened to walk past the lagoon and see what looked like a mutant shark swimming around in the water.
"EEEEK!!"
Their brief but dramatic yelp of surprise could be distinctly heard from just about anywhere in the Purple Dolphin and perhaps outside as well.

Mechanics