Flavor Choices - Genre

Fantasy or Sci-Fi?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Fantasy or Sci-Fi?

• Fantasy, low magic
    • Fantasy, high magic
    • Sci-fi, near future
    • Sci-fi, hyperdrive era
    • Fantasy, different (explain in comments)
    • Sci-fi, different (explain in comments)

For Different I was thinking Modern/Near Modern. In conjunction with some of the Apocalypse poll, things like Modern Day with Fantasy or Scifi things happening (Magic Returns for Fantasy, Pod People for Scifi, or even something weirder like Pacific Drive's Olympic Exclusion Zone/Annihilation's The Zone, etc.)

While I could get easily be talked into a fantasy apocalypse, I understand others may have experienced enough of that in their playing to want something different.

Generation/colony ship is the go to for microscope, I don't hate it, but the idea of a planet underneath the feet of the survivors does allow a wider range of tension and trauma to be delivered to them.

Neon Apocalypse is not what I originally thought of for this, but it might be a solid compromise.

Hrrmmm

what if we combine some of this stuff

what about a near modern world where something alien and magical has returned and now there are slowly expanding areas of UV wasteland that are these high contrast neon chaotic zones similar to the annihilation stuff but louder and less subtle.

It says four members have voted, which means one hasn't and Claire hasn't joined the board yet. I need to figure out if I can see the results per player somehow...or maybe I don't need to see it and take it at face value. I don't know yet.

I'm always going to be bias towards fantasy, even if the definition of fantasy is wildly harder to pin down than most sci-fi and/or modern settings. Currently, we're looking at a Sci-Fi game with near-future or modern baseline. Which can be anything we want it to mean until we do the Palette phase. Which is exactly what that phase is all about. We can still get a wild swing toward something else or if things end in a tie that results in people wanting to re-poll (which I'm happy to do if its easier).

That sounds reasonable. Slow rollout the polls in phases so as to not completely undercut any aspects of the system itself.

I also need to get a template together for the mapping. I hope everyone is good with Google Docs/Sheets. I found it easier to have a template people could use so they weren't spending even more time on their turns trying to build the perfect box to slot their event into the timeline.

I like the genre-void ideas less than I do the Strange Threat from Beyond idea. The Strange Threat from Beyond (aka, the Starfish monster) offers a straight forward antagonist with the burden being on the players to layer and complicate matters to show a more apocalyptic setting. So it too isn't my favorite, but I feel like it's more malleable than the genre-swap void plopping down into the world.

P.S. We're wrangling our last potential player. If anyone drops out during this setup phase, we'll look for another.

EDIT: Earlier, Manic mentioned a zone like in Annihilation. That is different -and I think still on the table- than the high fantasy plop down area. And I'm aware I might be splitting hairs here or fighting semantics, but when it's still a vague conceptual phase, I'm prone to it.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

I like what's been said so far. I think something two worlds have come together and are starting to merge, a Sci-Fi world and a fantasy world. Like the two planets have come close together and are starting to cross pollinate. Or maybe they're starting to merge across dimensions?

Can be really cool if each world can see the other world in the sky

Edited by Penchant (see edit history)