Baa Baa Black Sheep

The Jymani caravan had arrived late last night. The Tarsis local guard was quick to push them back a bit from the city limits. However the wanders and there wagons were little concerned by the slight. It was common, if not expected. As dawn however broke, the sound of a their music could be heard even from the city gates. The reception in Otari only days before hadnt been much better. At least today there was no right to muddy the carts and have them stick into the soft earth.

The music was steady and almost seemed to provide a seductive atmosphere. The smell of exotic spices filled the air.  The Jymani before their island nation had sank into the sea had be a major exporter of cinnamon. Now the spice had been all but extinct unless from a Jymani seller. Somehow though the caravans that found their way around the continent almost seemed to have a supply of it, and the smell of it was distinct as baked goods could be seen coming out of a make-shift camp stove at one of the carts.  Other carts were lined up with various trinkets and trade goods. The Jymani had a reputation as some of the best blacksmiths and metal workers on the continent outside of the Dwarves of Murhur. Though rumors of course swirled that their skill came with a curse passed to anyone that purchased from them.  Probably rumors created by merchants that didnt wish to see their business be cut by outsiders.  

A woman danced in front of a tent by the road. Two balls lit on fire, swirled around her from chains she spun to the music played by the men at the other nearby tent.  Another man sat on a barrel closer to the roadway as the group would be passing by. He puffed on a pipe that smelled of fine tobacco mixed with something citrus. 

The woman sat inside a tent that had been set up alongside a large wagon . A decorative sign hung out in front of it labeled: Madam Dawn - Fortunes & Readings - Love / Fate / Destiny   She appeared to be just crossing into middle-age for a human female.  Her features were still delicate but starting to show a few wrinkles. Her skin tone was warm with a dark cast that indicated that her heritage blood had maintained fairly strong since the Jymani nation had sank into the ocean depths.    

image.png.a717bede3ca5c1bba1bda75d5732ae30.png

The elder Jymani woman looked to Zaer with a pleasant smile, as she brewed a small pot of tea.

Why don't you head into town and check on some supplies for us, Zaer dear? I will take the morning crowd for any citizens that come out and wish to listen to the cards. There is no reason you should not get to enjoy the city a bit. We've been on the road awhile and Otari, while profitable was far from exciting. Despite the claims of us involved with their local wolf problem.

image.png.5f37081064e15c3b6d0341ec183f675c.png

The morning had come and the city was alive once again. Compared to the night life that was mostly the taverns and clubs, the day was owned by the merchants and the guild halls. Business activity was booming before the sun had barely even crested over the horizon.

Talk of the Jymani caravan was also already being discussed. Many of the merchants were less than thrilled by the gypsies that would steal way their business for the few days they were outside the city. Others were already starting rumors of curses and evil spells that they would potentially curse upon anyone that tried to spite them.

Despite all the murmuring and rumors, the streets were filled with alluring smells of freshly cooking meats and other baked goods. Bright fabrics were being hung for sale, stalls would be filled with various wares and other goods.

The guild hall at the Persona Non Grata was opened for business hours and a large sign sat outside with information for joining. The attached tavern next door was also open, but far less active than it had been the night before. The smell of fresh bacon and something akin to apple pie wafted from the kitchen area.

https://i.ibb.co/BTH4bbZ/ZaerCrop.png

Madam Zaer
Cardomancer Witch

AC: 19 | HP: 26/26 TEMP HP: 0 | | Move: 30'
Init: +4 | SAVES:
Fort +3 Ref +6 Will +6

Zaer took Madam Dawn's advice, because it was all bur an order to get out and explore. She put on her face and made her way into the city. She drifted through the streets, always a larger city was something to explore and get lost in.  Though she had learned a while ago how to keep herself safe, this beggar was faking his injury, that one was not. This group of children running the street were hungry urchins, which ones were guild and running a scam or picking pockets.

Though generally as a rule, the early morning was usually had lower crime as many who would commit such crimes were freshly asleep. But there were still a few industrious souls using this to their advantage.

Zaer drifted from stall to stall, letting her hand trail on the fabrics, eyes drifting over copper and iron pots, but keeping far enough away for the merchants to not try to sell her on them or run her off. Finally she found herself outside of the door of the guild. Persona Non Grata? That seemed rather like a place where she would feel comfortable. And the smell of bacon at least called to her.

She drifted into the guild hall taking in the lay of the building and who was about at that early hour before finally sashaying over to the bar. "Good morning"

OOC

Edited by Unkabear (see edit history)

XiomaraVitellus.png.c02778faa61a8ff9bdcd7fca0f7a89ec.pngXiomara Vitellus

AC: 18 | HP: 52/52 | TEMP HP: 0 | Move: 30'

Init: +6 | SAVES: Fortitude: +8, Reflex: +4, Will: +5

Passive: Perception: 15

Xiomara awoke before the sun began lightening the sky. She spent the early morning hours making sure all of her equipment was in good order. If she was to be tested, then everything had to be top-notch. She buffed her armor with a cloth. It restored some of the metal's glossiness, but the evidence of past scuffles had long since dulled its shine.

She donned her armor, secured her weapons and bags, and headed out into the street. Daylight had broken in the city, ushering in a new day. People were already bustling about at this early hour. It was a refreshing change from some of the sleepy backwater villages she'd traveled through. The energy of a city always makes her feel at home.

Xiomara retraces her steps from last night and finds her way to the Persona Non-Grata guild hall. She looks around for Dame as she approaches, but doesn't see her yet. Quite an interesting character, that Dame. She has a certain charm to her. A little rough around the edges, but that's all right. Anyone too polished wouldn't dare be seen with Xiomara - and she likes it that way. She might be good at navigating the subtleties of business and politics, but that doesn't mean she likes it.

"I wonder if my new friend will show up."

She stops at the large sign posted outside and reads the details about joining the guild.

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

spacer.pngDame Crow - Character Sheet

AC: 16 | HP: 48/48 | TEMP HP: 0 | Move: 30'

Init: +6 | SAVES: Fortitude: +8, Reflex: +8, Will: +3

Passive Perception: 16

"Morning sleepyhead." Apparently Dame Crow is not only showing up, but she's walking up from the other direction. The figure steps up closer, and in the daylight her attire is in some ways and less intimidating at the same time. The clothes are worn, drab, far more a faded grey-ish black than any pure midnight hue. The mask looks like it has pain chipped in a few spots, and at least one good crack on the beak, and yet the disheveled look someone looks more real than if everything was kept prim and proper.

She sniffs the air. "Bleh, food. Makes my stomach sick just thinking about it." She turns and only then bothers to start reading the sign.

Despite he night of drinking, she's actually fine. Not only fine, but she barely had any sleep and yet is refreshed, far more refreshed than she aught to be. She's pretty sober at this point, which for Dame means a slight headache, but she deals with the discomfort.

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Madam Zaer
Cardomancer Witch

Fort +3 Ref +6 Will +6

Zaer watched the warrior and grey peacock walk in, already this was turning out to be a fruitful morning.

Now, about that breakfast.

OOC

Xiomara looks Dame Crow over. It's hard to read the woman beneath all the feathers and the nicked mask, but her body language and movement seem to indicate sobriety.

"Good. She's taking this seriously."

At Dame's comment about food, a slight smirk tips up the corner of Xiomara's lips.

"Good morning, sunshine. I was hoping to get some breakfast, but I can pass on that if your tummy's too upset," she teases good-naturedly. "Maybe we should get you some hair of the dog that bit ya?"

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

"Oh by all means. I'm not one to deprive someone of a good time, and if breakfast is your thing, indulge yourself. Eating's just... my stomach just doesn't much care for solid foods. Or hair of the dog. Just things with a fire to it. Everything else just doesn't fit my diet. Gotta keep my good health and slim figure." It's questionable by both her voice and attire if she has either, but a question perhaps for another time.

"Trust me." Another questionable statement.

She's not staggering, and her words are neither groggy nor slurred. She seems... unusually fine, at least as much as this strange masked woman can be fine given her quirks.

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

image.png.54c1d33a627da1832b5b2b35fbcf48b5.pngThe sign outside had been fairly simple, repeating the fee mentioned from before and advising the test for rank placement. It provided time slots for testing. Payment was not due until after the testing if for some reason the individual felt there would not be a good fit after the fact. A temporary arcane mark would be applied to all applicants. A permanent tattoo for guild registration would Reska.jpg.5091dd15e99cdaef85cf6497ec418d0b.jpgbe required after joining. It would also have an arcane signature that allowed for access and confirmation at different locations.

Inside the tavern had a large red skinned orc behind the counter compared to the large mustached human from the night before. The smell of bacon was even stronger inside. It had been set up with eggs and hashed potatoes in a small makeshift set of banquet like trays, with plates and silverware next to it for people to serve themselves. Apple fritters also freshly fried were piled high. Cost was three silver. Free for guild members.

A few other guild members were scattered around the tavern area. Xi and Crow would notice that the Bastet woman from before was also over by the bar. She was chomping on a piece of bacon and looking down at a clipboard with papers.

Madam Zaer
Cardomancer Witch

Fort +3 Ref +6 Will +6

The sight of the bastet rose Zaer's hackles. There shouldn't be anything there, but, there was. Still, she fished out a few silver for the banquet and approached the large Orc. "Why hello there, I would appreciate a plate and an explanation, what's going on here?"

It was nice that there were a few other females in this place, and they looked competent. That was good. Did she find a place to stay for a bit? Leaving the caravan would potentially throw the trail of those hunting her. But how to approach them? She would keep listening for a good opening.

OOC

'Ah, crap. The cat lady.'

Xiomara gives Dame a meaningful look and tips her chin slightly to the Bastet with the paperwork. She hopes she's wrong, but it seems like they might have to work with her during the recruitment process. Xiomara approaches the bar and smiles at the orc bartender.

"Good morning, sir. I'll have a plate of whatever's cooking back there: it smells delicious. My companion and I are interested in trying out for guild membership," she says respectfully. "Who should we speak to about that?"

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Dame's mask drifts over to the Bastet when Xi speaks, and then moves back. In response, her gloved hand gives a thumbs up as if to say, "This is good." Why she feels so good and confident about it, and seem unconcerned over last night's misunderstanding remains unspoken.

"I shall not have a plate of whatever's cooking back there. Smell's good enough." Dame scans the room. She does clock Zaer, but at least for the moment she's another face in the room, just one who wasn't around last night. "And to clarify, we can put the guild tattoo anywhere we want if we pass, right?" She stares at the Orc awaiting his response.

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

image.png.54c1d33a627da1832b5b2b35fbcf48b5.pngThe Orc looked at Zaer confused for a moment. He then noticed the other two woman approach and ask similar questions.

It's called "Breakfast". Three silver unless you are planning on joining this morning. Twenty gold for guild application, food is free in that case. Can talk to Reska if you are interested.

He motioned at the Bastet woman. A smirk crept over his face at the last question by Crow.

Anywhere that tickles your fancy. Just remember that its a real tattoo in addition to magic. Got some people with some weird kinks. Wouldnt be the first to imply wanting it somewhere only your lover or physician should be seeing.

Madam Zaer
Cardomancer Witch

Fort +3 Ref +6 Will +6

Zaer looks at the other two. "The two of ya looking to join?" she says not even hiding her Jymani accent. "Perhaps there may be room for another in Persona Non Grata eh?"

OOC

Edited by Unkabear (see edit history)

Dame smirks behind the mask at the Orc's response. No one else can see it, but they can hear the bemused tone in her husky voice. "Good. Then I may fit just in after all." In truth, she's not sure where to put it just et, but the fact she has options is much appreciated. Perhaps she will just decide where will be amusing, but first she has to earn it.

Her head crooks over to Zaer as she speaks and approaches them.

I'm just making friends left and right here. Just like...

"Huh." She stares at Zaer. "I dunno. Xi and I are like sisters, twins really. Known each other since we were children. We know all each other's secrets, know each other's every tell, every move, we don't need any magic to read one another's mind. We fight in perfect harmony. Like a dance really. And that's not to mention our teamwork in seducing hapless pretty rich people, and... and..." She starts to chuckle, and then it goes into a full blown laughter. She even slaps her own knee for good measure, unable to keep the lie going.

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction: