Pre-game discussions

Vladim

I'm completely new to PbP, just subscribed top myth-weavers (still finding my way around) and only started recently with IronSworn, so curious if this is still active...

1 minute ago, peterH said:

I'm completely new to PbP, just subscribed top myth-weavers (still finding my way around) and only started recently with IronSworn, so curious if this is still active...

It is! I'll try and post more in the coming days...

great :-) As I said, new to everything so if you can point me to how this PbP on this site is done in practice it would be handy... ;-)

4 minutes ago, peterH said:

great :-) As I said, new to everything so if you can point me to how this PbP on this site is done in practice it would be handy... ;-)

Sure thing! I'll post more later.

2 hours ago, peterH said:

Ok, so the way it generally works in this site is like this:

• Game Masters (GMs) will make games and post advertisements here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/clubs/&do=advertisements
  • Applicants can apply in a dedicated application subforum in the game. Usually applications involve submitting a character sheet and some background information, but it varies game by game (the GM will specify the requirements and potential process).
  • After the deadline is passed, GM chooses a given number of players and the game usually starts shortly after that.

Let me know if you have questions. I'll turn this into a discussion thread as this is more useful right now.

14 hours ago, pesukarhu said:

Good to see this happening! I need to go through and actually-read (instead of skim) the Ironsworn rules.

Sure, no worries. I can also teach folks the basics, though to be honest there's several good actual plays out ther that would do a far better job of it than I ever could.

I've been dying to play some Ironsworn with people lately! I hope I find sometime soon to put a character up for it. Is there any special consideration for world building we should be adhering to?

Edited by Gilda (see edit history)

Good to see this moving forward! I'm currently in three active games (plus one on temporary hiatus) so I'm hemming and hawing a bit here, but like @Gilda I'm also curious about world building. Is it one shared set of world truths for all player pairs / groups, or can each have their own? How far afield can we go?

I'm pondering a couple of different possibilities, perhaps something out of the standard fantasy mold. For example the Ironlands being a more advanced off-world species' landfill, littered with scrap and (mostly) broken down machinery - hence the name 🤔

2 hours ago, Gilda said:

I've been dying to play some Ironsworn with people lately! I hope I find sometime soon to put a character up for it. Is there any special consideration for world building we should be adhering to?

1 hour ago, Cairo said:

Good to see this moving forward! I'm currently in three active games (plus one on temporary hiatus) so I'm hemming and hawing a bit here, but like @Gilda I'm also curious about world building. Is it one shared set of world truths for all player pairs / groups, or can each have their own? How far afield can we go?

I'm pondering a couple of different possibilities, perhaps something out of the standard fantasy mold. For example the Ironlands being a more advanced off-world species' landfill, littered with scrap and (mostly) broken down machinery - hence the name 🤔

The way I was thinking it could work is that folks could check in, see who else wants to play, read the info at the applications sub-forum and decide who they might mesh with well... then they could reach out and try to start a game, here or in a completely separate forum. I don't want to police anything so it should be up to everyone.

Setting-wise... I have no particular opinions at this point. At some point I wouldn't mind discussing with folks that might like to play with me/I might like to play with, but I'd probably go for something blank canvas-y so that there's a lot of freedom for things to go in unexpected ways, and maybe vanilla fantasy because that seems to be most people's comfort zone. I wouldn't mind doing the "world truths" exercise once we got that far!

I see some advantages in everyone playing in a shared world, but I don't think this need to be the case. Once again, I think I'd prioritise everyone being free and able to do what they wanted.

I hope this answers all questions!

It helps, thanks!

It's probably a good idea to mention some high-level hopes or preferences for the setting (like you did with vanilla fantasy), just to give others a rough understanding of what kind of (possibly custom) truths one might be going for if things progress to worldbuilding. That said, I haven't yet come up with vanilla fantasy ideas that clicked hard, so I'll keep on thinking and watching. I'd like to have something to go on before posting a profile 🙂

By the way, has anyone here come across Ironsworn products (third-party or otherwise) that offer alternative sets of world questions / truths? I don't have Ironsworn Delve yet, but it's on sale on DriveThruRPG for a few more days and I'm wondering if I should get that...

15 hours ago, Cairo said:

It helps, thanks!

It's probably a good idea to mention some high-level hopes or preferences for the setting (like you did with vanilla fantasy), just to give others a rough understanding of what kind of (possibly custom) truths one might be going for if things progress to worldbuilding. That said, I haven't yet come up with vanilla fantasy ideas that clicked hard, so I'll keep on thinking and watching. I'd like to have something to go on before posting a profile 🙂

By the way, has anyone here come across Ironsworn products (third-party or otherwise) that offer alternative sets of world questions / truths? I don't have Ironsworn Delve yet, but it's on sale on DriveThruRPG for a few more days and I'm wondering if I should get that...

I have Delve-it's a great supplement-but to the best of my knowledge it does not contain alternate World Truths. There's tons of 3rd party Ironsworn products (this page may be of help as a kind of archive: GitHub - Billiam/awesome-ironsworn: An awesome list of awesome Ironsworn projects) but I don't remember any specific ones that provide alternate world truths (but there should be some, I guess).

There are a few published settings that I personally find interesting, including the one in Shadows of Esteren (gothic-flavored Scottish highlands with a bit of Lovecraft & steampunk splashed in) or Icewind Dale from the Forgotten Realms setting (bleak and isolated 'cold north' setting-I really liked the cRPGs). I am also intrigued by Planescape and a couple of other settings (like Symbaroum), but I don't know them all that well. I am neither excited by nor hate the Ironlands as presented in the core Ironsworn book, but I think the 'blank canvas' style of that setting fits GM-less play better, so I am not against trying. I am also happy to work with others to come up with a setting jointly, but I don't have extremely strong views or preferences, to be honest. The opening premise is more important to me.

Thanks for the link - that's a long list! Bookmarked it.

I'm (also?) not particularly drawn to the default Ironlands "setting", or what's implied. It's weird because it's supposed to be very open to interpretation. For whatever reason I've gotten stuck with a "vikings without ships" -kind of view of it. It's probably undeserved, and I realize that can totally be someone's cup of mead 😅

Icewind Dale, Forgotten Realms and Planescape I'm vaguely familiar with but wouldn't want to be quizzed on. I've only heard of Symbaroum and Esteren. For an Ironsworn game I'd probably prefer to make stuff up, or borrow liberally from wherever with little concern for accuracy.

I wonder how Ironsworn would work if one held back on the world truths for as long as possible and just started off with a rough definition of "genre" and a strong opening premise..

I’ve been meaning to try out some collaborative fiction lately as well.

I feel the interesting thing with trying to start with a blank canvas world is that by virtue of creating characters, it’s starts to veer off into its own thing since they can’t really exist in a vacuum. @Vladim, is there any specific amount of detail you think is good for the characters? Like starting with a relatively plain character to preserve a generic fantasy setting that can cheer off in any direction vs. starting with a character that already forces the world into a certain type of setting from the start.