An old dog looking for new tricks

MrSpoon

Hello Myth-Weavers, glad to be amongst you.

I am a lifelong roleplayer, in nearly all its forms--I haven't found the courage to give LARPing a try, however. As a cis white male approaching my middle age, I've found that the media I consume is primarily produced by other cis white males of approximate age. With everything going on in the world at large, the last thing I want to do is slip into an echo chamber and lose my sense of empathy and understanding for others outside of my niche

One of the ways I hope to do so is by experiencing worlds, stories and characters pulled from the imaginations of people of different ethnicity, gender identity and so on. As such, I would be eternally grateful for any insights or suggestions for tabletop games (or really, any media) that has come from the minds of people from "non-standard" backgrounds.

Aside from that, I am just generally interested in stories--how and why we tell them. RPGs offer such a fantastic array of ways to tell stories, and I'm always interested to see what kind of collaborative tales can be woven (pardon the pun) within a given RPG system.

In the "real" world--as if everything that happens on the internet is just some collective dreamstate, with no bearing or impact on anything else--I am a freelance writer, still lost on the endless waves of life's great ocean, hoping to eventually find landfall... or, in less dramatic terms, in a period of career and life transition. And supposing it wasn't immediately apparent, I rather like The Tick.

Forgive me for rambling on. I suppose the TL;DR is, I love stories, I love games, I'm hopeful I can experience fascinating new journeys into both, and I'd be glad to simply have a stimulating conversation with you fine folks on occasion.

Thank you for indulging my verbosity. I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

Edited by MrSpoon (see edit history)