Recent issues preventing use of forum

Tecmes

Hey,

For a few days now (since about march 12th 2024) there's a few things that have changed:

- I can't see a game's thread bar

- I can't post on any thread (the JS text box is "collapsed" with the format control not shown/loaded, as usua, but I can't focus it and therefore can't type in it)

- Similarly I can't send messages for the same reason (the basic subject text box works, not the content's)

- When viewing a game's summary page (the only page I can access), the topics are not collapsed

Sounds like JS issues, and these are new without me changing anything. Yes I tried restarting in case FF had eaten all my memory as it sometimes does.

Obviously, that's happening on my *other* computer, not this one. That other computer runs FF72.

That's quite game breaking!

Am I the only one?

It's also possible there was a FF update that is causing issues, since I have one other FF user reporting similar via Discord (and March 12 predates the patches bwatford mentioned); however, cache clear is the first step to figure out the root cause.

I cleaned the cache, didn't work. Also it can't be a FF update issue (I meant not MY issue!) because I just don't update FF on that computer.

Another issue I observe is the top menu bar's mouseover sub-menu overlays the existing one rather than replacing. All of these behaviours are new, it worked perfectly well a few days back. Looks like JS issues, but then that's not fancy JS so I don't see what could go wrong there...

Btw the FF console reports a few errors when loading one of the problematic pages.

Ugly copy paste

SyntaxError: expected expression, got '.'
root_framework.js.gz:97:17
global_global_core.js.gz:22:863
TypeError: ips.controller is undefined
plugins_plugins.js.gz:1:40
root_front.js.gz:1:40
front_front_core.js.gz:38:29
front_front_clubs.js.gz:2:40
TypeError: ips.model is undefined
front_app.js.gz:1:40

• 2 weeks later...

This is accurate. Web browsers and web-based applications are easily the most common attack vector in today's cybersecurity environment; just ask any of the companies who have been shut down by ransomware from a single unpatched computer accessing a malicious script on a webpage, or some of our forum peers in the RPG space who are fighting significant spam attacks. Cyberspace also evolves quickly: three years ago, we didn't have to deal with ChatGPT-enabled botnets, and now we're on late-generation ones that can almost mimic real human-generated content.

It's incumbent on Myth-Weavers to keep our systems patched, as doing so protects our users and gives them access to new features. We don't have to look terribly far in the rear-view mirror to see the consequence of failing to keep up our end of the patch cycle. We know this means older devices and browser versions will eventually stop functioning correctly as the implementations they relied on in the past are deprecated, altered, or removed entirely to protect against known and possibly exploited vulnerabilities; this is the price of doing business on the web in the modern era.

Myth-Weavers is built on Invision Community, which officially supports the latest two major versions of the four main browser products: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari.