Sheet Folders in Testing ×

SBT: Out of Character Discussions

Paro

SWADE Character Generation:

Start at Novice using 15 Skill Points for Modern Setting

Human for Race choice

No Focus/Occult/Spellcasting/Weird Science Skills.

No Arcane Background, Beast Bond, Beast Master, Chi, Champion, or Power Edges

Game Start will begin during the pandemic breakout, so backgrounds would assume a reason to be in Deltaville area and outfitting would have to make sense in a pre-pandemic environment.

The first chapter will start on day 1 of the pandemic, the characters will not have prior knowledge.

Edited by Paro (see edit history)

Thinking of applying with a veterinarian, if just because I am pretty sure we will need someone with medical skills, and it is the first thing that comes to mind. On that note, what are your thoughts on Weird Edges, specifically Beast Master, in a semi-realistic modern day game like this?

Vet sounds good.
If the Weird Edge is linked to Supernatural then I am thinking no. Beast Bond, Beast Master, Chi, and Champion are all trying to mirror D&D archetypes.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:45 PM, Paro said:

Vet sounds good.
If the Weird Edge is linked to Supernatural then I am thinking no. Beast Bond, Beast Master, Chi, and Champion are all trying to mirror D&D archetypes.

Hm. Ok. Well, the main thing I wanted was a pet dog. Would it be possible to buy one with starting funds? I was thinking that he adopted a retired police dog, since weed is legal now in VA, and all the drug sniffing dogs suddenly became useless and many of them came up for adoption.

If not, that's fine too, but I wasn't thinking of making, say, a cop or survivalist or soldier or anything that would normally have high survivability in zombieland, so I thought a dog would go with the theme, let him have a friend that would make him more capable, while still being believable.

2 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Hm. Ok. Well, the main thing I wanted was a pet dog. Would it be possible to buy one with starting funds? I was thinking that he adopted a retired police dog, since weed is legal now in VA, and all the drug sniffing dogs suddenly became useless and many of them came up for adoption.

If not, that's fine too, but I wasn't thinking of making, say, a cop or survivalist or soldier or anything that would normally have high survivability in zombieland, so I thought a dog would go with the theme, let him have a friend that would make him more capable, while still being believable.

I don't see a problem with the pet dog out of starting funds. Might even be possible to acquire one in game too.

I added a reference thread for Deltaville since the game will start there.

I included some information on the nearest Community College as well.

There are Edges that grant an animal companion or a sidekick. Some GM's choose to incorporate certain elements or mechanics in their campaign or setting. Also, everything depends on the GM allowing for anything. Like barracuda with freaking laser beams can be possible. LOL

In two other TWDU rpg PbP games, I chose to play a pc with a dog companion. One is a correctional officer in the Ozarks with a trained guard dog in his backstory. Dog is a gear with a bonus +2 to Close Combat. The other pc is a 13 yo girl scout w/ Maxed starting Leadership skill in Massachusetts.

In a Call of Cthulhu PbP game, I play a 1920's famous actress with 1 personal assistant, 3 dog companions, and 1 talking bird named Merlin. She's trained in Animal Handling 75%.

Edited by sxeBUDDHA (see edit history)

Man, I'm apparently on the same page as other folks. When I first went to post my character concept, I had the exact same stat layout as somebody and went "ehh, let me fiddle a bit." I came *this* close to flopping to an acrobat or acrobat-adjacent concept.