Application (Questions & Answers)

I have a pretty standard process. I first look at the mechanics of the class chosen and sort each character into a category (front line martial, secondary martial, arcane, divine, skill monkey, or general support) as this is the ideal spread for a group, even though we might not always get it. It also gives me the ability to work on chunks of applications at a time.

After that I evaluate the following using a point system.

1. Art (I evaluate the character portrait chosen, does it fit the character, does it fit the setting, etc.) I score art for 1-5 points.

2. Layout (I evaluate the application layout, since most use my template now, this is usually a non-factor)

3. I read, then reread, then evaluate the backstory of the character. Looking for writing style, how well it fits together, how it fits the character, is it cohesive and within the limitations of a 1st level character? I do hate backstories that say the character has accomplished great things but yet have 6 hit points and no skills as of yet. The backstory earns anywhere from 1-30 points.

4. Flourishes (I look for anything extra that might have been added that went beyond what was asked, extra art, npc's, etc. 1-5 points added for that.

5. I then look at the character overall, as a whole and how well they are tied into the setting and makes sense to be where the story starts. 1-5 points added for that.

6. Then I look at the player, posting history, how long they have been on MW, other games they are in, writing style in other games. etc. 1-5 points is awarded for that.

After I have everyone scored, I look at applications in the different categories for the highest scored apps. Pull one each from each category if available. Then I put them side by side and ask myself how they feel as a team, can they work together? Conflict areas? RP potential, etc. I then might need to swap out the highest score in a category for another applicant that scored below them for team cohesion. There is also the times where I have several extremely good applications within the same category that I might grab two out of it and drop one of the others.

It is a juggling act, but one I have done many times now. So its a pretty quick process overall. Takes a couple hours to do depending on the number of apps and how close the scores are.

10 hours ago, Ayeba said:

I will wish you, and everyone else, good luck. And to those that are accepted... May you live in interesting times.

I'll second this; good luck everyone!

As for picking characters, I've tried creating and using a rubric to weigh different factors, but I'm not sure how much different the results ended up from just following my gut. I think tone is a big factor—it can be jarring if the players are too far apart. At the same time, there can be a great party dynamic when everyone approaches things just a little bit differently (both IC and OOC). I think it's also fine just to pick a character because you like them and want to see more of them, because ultimately the DM is doing this to have fun, too.

The Wastelander Baxkgtound says that it's a "Variant Hermit" and gives Variant Proficiencies, Variant Languages and a Variant Feature...does this mean the Tool Proficiencies and the equipment is the same as the Hermit background?

7 minutes ago, MysteriousMiller said:

The Wastelander Baxkgtound says that it's a "Variant Hermit" and gives Variant Proficiencies, Variant Languages and a Variant Feature...does this mean the Tool Proficiencies and the equipment is the same as the Hermit background?

Correct.

Weird question but...do you have any specific rules for sleeping? I mean, do characters need a bedroll to get the benefit from a Long Rest and do they need to remove armour?

(Asking cos I'm envisaging my character as huddled under a blanket without tent or bedroll, quite used to sleeping in the harsh conditions of the waste)

3 hours ago, MysteriousMiller said:

Weird question but...do you have any specific rules for sleeping? I mean, do characters need a bedroll to get the benefit from a Long Rest and do they need to remove armour?

(Asking cos I'm envisaging my character as huddled under a blanket without tent or bedroll, quite used to sleeping in the harsh conditions of the waste)

The only rule is as follows:

"Sleeping in light armor has no adverse effect on the wearer, but sleeping in medium or heavy armor makes it difficult to recover fully during a long rest. When you finish a long rest during which you slept in medium or heavy armor, you regain only one quarter of your spent Hit Dice (minimum of one die). If you have any levels of exhaustion, the rest doesn’t reduce your exhaustion level."

4 hours ago, bwatford said:

The only rule is as follows:

"Sleeping in light armor has no adverse effect on the wearer, but sleeping in medium or heavy armor makes it difficult to recover fully during a long rest. When you finish a long rest during which you slept in medium or heavy armor, you regain only one quarter of your spent Hit Dice (minimum of one die). If you have any levels of exhaustion, the rest doesn’t reduce your exhaustion level."

Thank you 😊