Application (Questions & Answers)

A few more questions here.

• My character will be a 2nd level land druid, would you have any objections to the following list of known Wild Shape forms? They fit the CR and movement restrictions; I'm just never sure how many forms to go with.
    • badger, cat, mastiff, panther, rat, riding horse, spider, wolf
  • May I also use the Wild Companion feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, to spend a Wild Shape use to summon a familiar for one hour? I already saw you'd approved using Customizing Your Origin rules for ability scores, which I also plan to employ.
  • If I take the +1 Wand of the War Mage as my magic item, can I make that be a yew wand which also works as a druidic focus? I'd prefer the simplicity of using the same focus for both druid and wizard spellcasting, though I wouldn't expect the +1 to apply to druid spells.
  • Is there a free primer to Midgard available? I don't know how much prior world knowledge is really needed, but I'd at least like to be able to figure out where my character is from (though I can also just start out generic and take suggestions).
    • EDIT: I've found this resource, which is at least a start. A related question: does a feywild or plane of faerie exist in Midgard as it does in some other D&D settings? The preview I linked mentions shadow fey in Margreve Forest, which makes me suspect there's not a separate plane.
    • ANOTHER EDIT: I've kept searching and turned up some more information. After looking at these Kobold Press blog posts and a few other discussions, I think I understand (and Midgard is sounding more and more intriguing). I think my character will be a River Elf from the Arbonesse Forest, who grew up among the fey of the River Court before returning to live in the forest. If I understand it right, the River Court fey travel somewhat freely between Midgard proper and a mysterious fey realm on the world's underside.
  • Is a character image required for the application?

Thank you again!

Edited by Newcomer
Added link and faerie questions. Added more links and character explanation. (see edit history)

For anyone who may be interested in checking out Advanced 5e Level Up. I have put a listing up for a game. A5e is somewhere between 5e and pf2e so you get quite a few more options that vanilla 5e.  Consider it 5e with some crunch.

Check it out:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/clubs/821-the-world-of-elissar/&do=overview

I think Zephyr's ready for review now. I can add more or change things if needed.

His tattoo is meant to be the inheritance from his inheritor feature, but I was thinking something more in line of him being tied in to a cult or having people after him than any actual physical inheritance related to the tattoo. I realize he might be a little amnesia-y, but I don't plan on him suddenly knowing things or getting advantages from the extra memories, they're mostly just to explain some of his skills and mess with him. If a dm feels like using this as a reason to cause trouble for my character, that's great.

So torn.... For backstory purposes, I chose Survival over Perception, but I really feel the latter (in general) keeps a character alive longer...

I just played a Tabaxi Mercy monk in another game, and they had proficiency in 9 skills (2 from class, 2 from background, 2 from race, 2 from subclass, 1 from skill expert). It makes normal characters with their 4 skills feel toothless in comparison.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:45 PM, Newcomer said:

A few more questions here.

• My character will be a 2nd level land druid, would you have any objections to the following list of known Wild Shape forms? They fit the CR and movement restrictions; I'm just never sure how many forms to go with.
    • badger, cat, mastiff, panther, rat, riding horse, spider, wolf
  • May I also use the Wild Companion feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, to spend a Wild Shape use to summon a familiar for one hour? I already saw you'd approved using Customizing Your Origin rules for ability scores, which I also plan to employ.
  • If I take the +1 Wand of the War Mage as my magic item, can I make that be a yew wand which also works as a druidic focus? I'd prefer the simplicity of using the same focus for both druid and wizard spellcasting, though I wouldn't expect the +1 to apply to druid spells.
  • Is there a free primer to Midgard available? I don't know how much prior world knowledge is really needed, but I'd at least like to be able to figure out where my character is from (though I can also just start out generic and take suggestions).
    • EDIT: I've found this resource, which is at least a start. A related question: does a feywild or plane of faerie exist in Midgard as it does in some other D&D settings? The preview I linked mentions shadow fey in Margreve Forest, which makes me suspect there's not a separate plane.
    • ANOTHER EDIT: I've kept searching and turned up some more information. After looking at these Kobold Press blog posts and a few other discussions, I think I understand (and Midgard is sounding more and more intriguing). I think my character will be a River Elf from the Arbonesse Forest, who grew up among the fey of the River Court before returning to live in the forest. If I understand it right, the River Court fey travel somewhat freely between Midgard proper and a mysterious fey realm on the world's underside.
  • Is a character image required for the application?

Thank you again!

Sorry, somehow I had missed this post.

1. Starting druids get the wildshapes of all beast in the PHB to start, so all the above should be good to go.

2. The Wild Companion feature is fine to use.

3. It can be a Yew Wand.

4. Here is the official source for Midgard. Midgard - Kobold Press since we are going to be contained to a very small region of the Waste, a lot of information won't be necessary but I understand. Midgard fluff is excellent. There are two realms of elves and fey, the Summer Lands and the Shadow Realm. There’s not much published info on the Summer Lands, but a big section on the Shadow Realm in the Midgard Worldbook and, more recently, The Book of Ebon Tides, an entire tome dedicated to the Shadow Realm (the upside down of Midgard). The Summer Lands would be the equivalent of the Feywild.

5. A character image is required as that is part of who the character is and helps me to visualize what you perceive the character to be.

Zeldaruil is mostly together now, though not strictly complete. I've made a few equipment/spell adjustments after seeing the common magic item rules, so I will probably make another purchase or two before being fully ready. Please let me know if the backstory works or needs altering.

I just saw your last reply as I was typing this. Thank you for your kind rulings! I've been reading everything I can find to understand Midgard better, so I think my character concept mostly makes sense now. And I'll try to find the right image.

EDIT: Regarding the yew wand, I now realize I was conflating the descriptions of the Wand of the War Mage and the Arcane Grimoire. The wand doesn't care which class I'm using, but it only applies to spell attacks (whereas the grimoire only applies to wizard spells but also adds to DC). I wasn't sure which I'd pick at first. I've fixed those details on my application.

Edited by Newcomer (see edit history)

Finally got my head around my character idea. I'm taking the Wastelander background and the feature allows you to have Stealth, Nature and Survival whilst in the Waste...would you be okay with me swapping Stealth for Medicine (I plan to take Stealth as a rogue and I think the idea of Medicine fits well with his herbalism training.)

3 minutes ago, MysteriousMiller said:

Finally got my head around my character idea. I'm taking the Wastelander background and the feature allows you to have Stealth, Nature and Survival whilst in the Waste...would you be okay with me swapping Stealth for Medicine (I plan to take Stealth as a rogue and I think the idea of Medicine fits well with his herbalism training.)

Works for me.

1 hour ago, voodoozombie said:

Are the spells listed in kpogl.wikidot and Midgrad Hero's Handbook allowed?  I thought I'd ask first just in case something wasn't allowed. 

They are but make sure you are using the latest version of the spell. Deep Magic 1 & 2 now contain most of the spells.