Character Creation Rules

Papa Bear

Before we even start, there's a rule of kindness I'd like everyone to follow. Lets be helpful but not critical. Treat each other as you want them to treat you. I don't think this has to be overstated as its pretty much a site rule anyway and I've found the way most people want things to be. The thing is, if there's a problem, let's try to handle it in a mature manner. That likely means private messages, possibly between those having the problem and me, the GM. Personally, I'd like to avoid conflict. This place is where I come to 'get away' from all that strife in real life.
Thank you.

First, lets start a thread for your character. This thread will be both the main character sheet and specific character discussion. Because of the latter, please at least reserve the initial post for your primary character sheet with two additional posts as placeholders for expanded character information. If you feel that you would like or need more, feel free. The remainder of the thread will be used for individual character discussion. I believe it is possible for me to edit the thread title, so if you are not settled on a Character name, do not let that stop you from getting to work on your character.

As mentioned, the first post in your character thread should be reserved for your character sheet. A second post can be for supplemental information, tracking stuff, whatever. The third should be for the 'application' (below). I'd like to get to know you a little when I make decisions about who gets into the game. If you feel like you'd like another placeholder, feel free. But let's try to keep it to four posts to start things out.

Further posts, at least to start, can be specific Q&As about your character. During the course of the adventure, I may drop in specific intel into your character thread and perhaps a little private RP. Now, I don't mind some 'snooping' into other people's character threads... I know, sometimes I just want to know what's going on because I'm curios that way. If something truly needs to be secret, we can use private tags or PMs... generally, I dislike private tags. But somethings need it.

Second, copy the questionnaire in the next post and paste/clone it into your third post in your character thread... then yes, fill that badboy out. I hope it helps me to get to know you and to pick the best possible group.

Third, we are using the Hero Champions Complete rules for the most part as it is such a smaller, more simplified book. This uses the 6th Edition rules set so if there is an issue interpreting a rule, we can go back to the 6e books and hopefully figure it out. Your characters will be built;

* 300 Point build with up to 60 points in complications.

* average 20 PD/ED for your defenses

* 50 - 60 Active Points max

* I can make exceptions if you talk with me and give me a good reason or we can try to work something out. But remember, these are not supposed to be the most powerful Supers in the world, or even the nation (and maybe not even in the city). But they are vigilantes that want to try to help real people with real problems of life in the mean streets that the Thors and Supermans don't usually deal with.

*NEW*

Fourth, All characters will be built with a speed of 4... sorry. But we'll be using a more PBP friendly our turn/their turn set up. In some encounters, mooks and weaker villains will only have a speed of 2 or 3 and thus you'll get to attack twice every so often (I'll let you know). Conversely, some villains may have a 5 speed, allowing them to attack twice every once in a while depending on the villain's build. If the villain deals major damage, they'll have a 3 or 4 speed (maybe! Muwahahaha)

Finally, though its unlikely with Champions, no unofficial/third party stuff. Some talents might be appropriate from a genre book such as Fantasy Hero or Star Hero for your character that isn't in the core rules. We can work with that. But i don't want to deal with stuff from a fan site or something else.

Hopefully you have the Hero Designer program. That just makes life so much easier when creating a Champions character so you don't have to do all dem maffs in yer nugget.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

1. What is your experience with the Hero System Rules?

2. What is your experience with PbP?

3. What is your Role-playing Experience (overall, PbP and otherwise)? And, what makes a game "good"?

4. Please link me a couple examples of your Roleplaying here at the Weave (preferred). If no examples, be sure to post an "RP" in the open RP thread (when I get one up) I'd like to see a sample of your game-style writing.

5. Tell me about a couple of your favorite characters you've actually played (in PBP or even in TT) and why you enjoyed those characters so much.

6. Name (do not use the "mention" function) one or more players 'applying' for this game ("Shadows of the City") whom you would like to be accepted (Other than yourself, obviously you want to be accepted or you'd just withdraw) into this game and why you would like to play with them here. (example reasons. Good Character concept that fits well with yours, Played with them before and they are a good RPer, They are Helpful, whatever). Please be sure to put this response in a private tag for myself (if left blank, private tags are still viewable by the GM). Please use the Private tags. I don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt. Also, you may need to come back to this later after seeing who has applied.

7. Describe your desired character for me
Don't worry... change this as often as you need to. I fully understand that characters can't be fleshed out until you know what the heck you're playing toward!)

Posted (edited)

I'll do one too, so you know I'm not just horsing you around.
1. What is your experience with the Hero System Rules?
I met a guy my first year at college in '89 who was about as obsessed with RPGing as I am. He was a great guy and we became good friends (he lives in Australia these days). Anyway, we both played a lot of different systems throughout the 80s and introduced each other to them. The two biggest standouts was Battletech and my beloved Champions. He was a master at creating 4e characters. They were so creative and fun. Anyway, I introduced champions to my other RPG buddies and we all enjoyed playing it, but none of them as much as I did. The crunch of the Hero system can be daunting to a lot of players. I got to play 4e a lot, but late 90s I moved away and met a new group of friends who just never got into the Super Genre of RPGs... none of them :( I've run a Champions 5e game with my current game group some 12 or so years ago. We had fun, but they are not too big into Supers (blaspheme!). I own both 5e and 5e Revised as well as both volumes of the 6e core books and Champions Complete. Though, sadly, I've not gotten to play any of them much since 4e (and that breaks my heart)

2. What is your experience with PbP?
It started in the LATE 1990s doing eFeds. You PROBABLY don't know what an eFed is. But its kind of like play by post except that you take on the persona of a professional wrestler of your own creation, have them do 'promos' (like RPs but in the style of a wrestler 'promotional clip' where they come out and rant and rave about how they'll destroy their opponent at the big upcoming Wrestle-fest or whatever. My two characters were "The Big Ugly Jack Mahony" and "Rath"

I inevitably transitioned to Play by Post over at En World. That site was hard as i had garbage for an internet connection and had a hard time navigating the site. Plus, DOZENS of games I got into died barely after starting. I'm a fan of the Open RP thread. One of the best RP experiences I had there was playing a Basil Westcot in a Harry Potter adventure. I had never read anything HP, didn't even know what it was. But somehow I got 'in' and the GM put up an "Open RP thread" for us meeting on the train while he prepared/set up the game threads. That was so much fun. The game never even started (except for that train ride that never ended).

I was trying to GM a Transformers game on the site but was very frustrated (laaaaaaag). Two of the players in my game said they were going to quit En World and jump to a smaller site. So I joined them. It was a LOT easier. I played there for years until the owner of the site sold it off and started a new site. So we all jumped over to the new site... well, he sold that one and we all went, "wait a tic!". Anyway, another guy decided we were not going to help that guy keep making money on our gaming so he started a site. Most of us went there. I was there for years but the owner stopped gaming and the site stopped getting support and everyone wandered away. That's when I came here to Myth Weavers.

In 08, when one of the 'jumps to a new site' was happening, I apparently registered here but never posted, presumably because that jump site got up and running. I didn't want to get in trouble for having two accounts and contacted a mod. The mod 'merged' my two accounts so it says I registered here in 08 but I really only started actually playing here in May 3rd, 2020 when I realized that the Pandemic was going to ruin my gaming life and with my PbP site dying out, that I would NEED better. Been happy here ever since.

3. What is your Role-playing Experience (overall, PbP and otherwise) ? And, what makes a game "good"?
I played my first RPG (pen and paper) in 79 and it was the old Red Box D&D. I loved it. Through the 80s, my buddies (most of them 'new' as I USED to be sort of a jock but ever so wanted to be a nerd/geek and play RPGs) and I played pretty much every system TSR put out as well as MERPS (and other Rollmaster games), James Bond, and a plethora of other wonderful systems. Marvel Super Heroes (TSR and the FASERIP system) was easily our favorite. We played long hours into the night. We loved our comic books.

Then Vampire; The Masquerade came out and it really changed my idea about how Role-playing should be. I got WAY more into the WHO of my characters and started favoring Role instead of Roll. The 90s was my college years and I got introduced to even more games like Battletech (amazed I didn't play that earlier) Champions (Ditto) and Star Fleet Battles (which wasn't an actual RPG but I loved it) among others. Sadly, I moved around A LOT in the 90s and lost more game groups than I could get into. The late 90s I hardly played at all (and even sold about 15 WoD original books to a comic book store to make rent one month).

2000 I moved to Sacramento where I would mostly stay and met my current band of great friends. We played 3.0 when it came out and got into RPGing all over again.

4. Please link me a couple examples of your Roleplaying here at the Weave (preferred). If no examples, be sure to post an "RP" in the open RP thread here in this game and link that for me. I'd like to see a sample of your game-style writing.

EEP! my links are not working. I'll have to scrounge up the links from the old site and some stuff from here, though I don't have a lot that's gone on here yet.

5. Tell me about a couple of your favorite characters you've actually played (in PBP or even in TT) and why you enjoyed those characters so much.
I really Enjoyed a character named Ellestel in The One Ring at the old site. He was a wannabe Stryder who was called Traveller. My idea was that they were cousins and that Traveller was taking up the mantle that Aragorn would eventually take up BUT Traveller did so much more openly and it would cost him his life (eventually, we didn't get that far in the game) and that would make Strider a little more leery about revealing himself when the LotR series 'happens' in the timeline.

I played a positively odd little Gnome when Pathfinder first came out. Her name was Pipa and she was about as useless as you could be. I got 'into' her character and she 'misunderstood' everything, or rather, possibly understood but always in a completely different way from everyone else. it was fun because I kept finding ways to strangely interpret everything that was said to her.

A buddy ran an Iron Kingdoms game but used D&D/pathfinder. He let us go hog wild making our characters and we all started at like level 5. I ended up with a crazy 'half dragon/half ogren' character. Yeah, was that min/maxing? Probably. Well, he did have his faults... one of them was a LOW will save and when his mind got taken over by a villain and I 'had' to attack a fellow PC, I killed said PC in one hit, rolling a crit and dealing 97 points damage. I don't think that player has forgiven me to this day for that. That character was fun to play, not only because he was scary AF but he was, well, odd.

The Big Ugly Jack Mahoney (mentioned in the eFed). This guy was different than every character in the fed. Everyone was SO tough. Well, ole Jack, he was dumb as toothpaste. He was a mountain of a man and named his dog Jack (Jack the dog) and had a crowbar he named Jack, a beat up old truck named Jack, several brothers and sisters named Jack and of course, he drank Jack Daniels.... he drank gallons of Jack Daniels. His greatest maneuver in the ring was his great and horrific stink. My RP promos never featured Jack talking bad about anyone but him wandering around the arena breaking things and causing general mayhem. I did one "roleplay" that just featured Jack screaming as he ran down a hall and two janitors chasing after him, cussing him out for puking in the staff lounge.

6. Name (do not use the "mention" function) one or more players 'applying' for this game ("Battle Lands") whom you would like to be accepted 
orc10.gif I wish I could take everyone into the game, but that just doesn't work orc10.gif

7. Describe your desired character for me
I'll be playing a plethora of devious and cruel super powered individuals and gun toting psychopaths for your amusement :)

Posted (edited)

Current Version

Character Name: Seamus McDougal
Alternate Identities: Vendetta
Player Name: Papa Bear
herologo.jpg
CHARACTERISTICS
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
13 STR 10 3 13 12- HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [1]
13 DEX 10 6 13 12-  
15 CON 10 5 15 12-  
15 BODY 10 5 15    
30 INT 10 20 30 15- PER Roll 15-
19 EGO 10 9 19 13-  
13 PRE 10 3 13 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

5 PD 2 3 5/25   5/25 PD (0/20 rPD)
5 ED 2 3 5/25   5/25 ED (0/20 rED)
2 SPD 2.0 0 2   Phases: 6, 12
5 REC 4 1 5    
20 END 20 0 69    
30 STUN 20 5 30    
14" Running 12 2 14m    
4" Swimming 4 0 4m    
4" Leaping 4 0 4m 80 Total Characteristics Points
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 0
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 415
Disad Points: 75
Total Points: 415
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (12) 14m [28m NC]
Swim (4) 4m [8m NC]
H. Leap (4m) 4m
V. Leap (2m) 2m
Flight 10m [80m NC]
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 5/25
Res. Phys. Defense 0/20
Energy Defense 5/25
Res. Energy Defense 0/20
Mental Defense 0
Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 9 DCV: 9

Combat Skill Levels:
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10
Targeting shot OCV Hit Location
Head shot (Head to Shoulders) -4 1d6+3
High shot (Head to Vitals) -2 2d6+1
Body shot (Hands to Legs) -1 2d6+4
Low shot (Shoulders to Feet) -2 2d6+7
Leg shot (Vitals to Feet) -4 1d6+12

herologo.jpg
SKILLS
Cost  Name
3 Acrobatics 12-
3 Bugging 15-
3 Combat Piloting 12-
3 Computer Programming 15-
3 Conversation 12-
5 Cramming
3 Criminology 15-
3 Deduction 15-
3 Demolitions 15-
3 Electronics 15-
3 Forensic Medicine 15-
3 Inventor 15-
3 Mechanics 15-
3 Shadowing 15-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Streetwise 12-
3 Tactics 15-
53 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
10 Inventor: Money: Wealthy
Notes: While Seamus is driven to use his technology to push his Vendetta Project forward, he needs capital for his technology and occasionally releases some technological innovation to help fund his crusade.
7 Police Officer: Contact: Sgt. Roy Jackson (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-
7 Faye Nelson, Senior Partner, Bannerly & Nelson: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own) 11-
1 Hero of Freedom City: Positive Reputation: +1 relavant social skills and +1d6 presence attacks (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6
25 Total Perks Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
21 Cloaking Field: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups and Radar , Costs Endurance Only To Activate ((Dedicated Power Source); +1/4) (37 Active Points); OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) 3
40 Battle Armor: Resistant Protection (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2) 0
8 Energy Battery: +49 END (10 Active Points); IIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/4)  
16 Battle Computer: +4 OCV (20 Active Points); IIF ((Vendetta Battle Armor); -1/4)  
20 Battle Computer: +5 DCV (25 Active Points); IIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/4)  
50 Meta-Blaster: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2)  
5f
1) Vengeance Bolts: Blast 10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2)
Notes: Stun Only attack (Attack does no Body or Knockback)
10v
2) High Intensity Laser: Blast 10d6, Armor Piercing (x2; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2)
6v
3) Force Bolts: Blast 10d6, Double Knockback (+1/2) (75 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2)
[4]
10v
4) Meta-Bolt: Blast 10d6, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2)
4f
5) High Tinsile Net: Entangle 7d6, 7 PD/7 ED (70 Active Points); OIF ((Vendetta Battlesuit); -1/2), 12 Charges (-1/4)
[12]
9 Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing) (14 Active Points); IIF (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (Vedetta Battlesuit; -1/4) 0
19 Force Field: Barrier, 12 BODY (up to 4m long, 2m tall, and 1/2m thick) 2
26 Radar: Radar (Radio Group), +3 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (33 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) 0
13 Flight 10m, x8 Noncombat (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 2
257 Total Powers Cost

herologo.jpg
DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN The Technology of the Aliens from where Seamus gained his vast Intelligence (Uncommon)
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY The Technology of the Aliens from where Seamus gained his vast intelligence (Uncommon)
20 Social Complication: Renegade Vigilante Very Frequently, Major
15 Psychological Complication: Driven to take down the villains responsible for killing his friends and mother (Common; Strong)
10 Social Complication: Secret ID Infrequently, Major
10 Psychological Complication: Grand Plan (Common; Moderate)
Notes: While Seamus is driven to see the killers of his friends brought to justice and to take down "Big Al" and his organization, he has a larger agenda to vastly bring down crime rates in Freedom City, get 'better' politicos elected Mayor and to the City Counsil and export his formula for dealing with crime to the state and, eventually to the nation. The goal is to no longer need to use the Vendetta Battlesuit (or at least for him to not need to use it).
5 Dependent NPC: DeAndre Phelps Infrequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
Notes: DeAndre Phelps is the CFO of NuTech, Inc., Seamus McDougal's tech company through which he produces the capital he needs to push his agenda of the Vendetta Project. While Phelps is, basically, the only employee of NuTech (that holds a position beyond Administrative Assistant or Janitor), Seamus has a great deal of trust in him and needs him to see to the finances of the company to keep it a viable platform for his income. Phelps is paid very well to keep up the fascade of a regular company and Seamus feels very responsible for the potential danger that he might be putting Phelps in because of his "Vendetta Project". Over the past three years, Seamus and DeAndre have developed a strong friendship and, though Seamus doesn't understand it quite yet, it is his relationship with Phelps that helps keep him grounded in the 'real world, especially considering his vastly superior intellect'.
5 Negative Reputation: Recluse, Frequently (Known Only To A Small Group)
Notes: Seamus is known as something of a recluse. He has a successful company, known to be the lead designer of NuTech's R&D, and, of course, rising on the Forbes 500 list (at least his Net Worth. Most of his assets are dumped into the Vendetta Project). He often 'forgets' to make appearances at important social functions, which has caused his CFO, DeAndre Phelps several headaches over the past few years.
75 Total Disadvantages Cost
APPEARANCE
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Height: 2.00 m
Weight: 100.00 kg
Description:

Character created with Hero Designer (version 20210804)

Seamus McDougal was about as average as you could get.  He didn’t even have the distinguishing ‘red hair’ typically associated to his Irish heritage.  He lived a rather uneventful life in his first 18 years; played multiple sports, cut from some teams, benchwarmer when he made the teams.  He kept trying because he enjoyed sports.  He squeaked by with a C- GPA to graduate High School and grew up in a lower-middle class suburb of Freedom City.

As a graduation present, Seamus’s mother had saved up and got him a plane ticket Ireland where she arranged for Seamus to stay will relatives for the summer.  It was the best time of his life.  For once, he ‘mattered’.  He was an American in a part of Ireland that saw few Americans, let alone anyone from anywhere else.  He met a girl, went on adventures, drank legally, and made friends.

Most Significantly, when he and the boys were out exploring, they found a cave that the lads said they had never seen before and were very mystified by it being there, under a massive dead oak tree.  Seamus figured they were fooling with him.  After all, how could they not know it was there?  So, Seamus, feeling confident, skeptical of their claims, marched into the cave.  Once inside the cave, the cave entrance somehow closed behind him.  He could hear his friends calling to him, muted by the rock now barring the way out.  He had no choice but to move on, hoping to find a way out somewhere inside.

A few steps in, fungus began to glow, lighting a path for him.  Under the roots of the dead oak, he found what seemed to be some kind of temple with Celtic designs.  On the altar was a glowing stone.  He had no idea what it was, but figured that if it glowed, it could provide light for him as he moved throughout the tunnels should there not be any more glowing fungus.  When Seamus picked up the stone, it turned out to be something much more than a glowing stone.  Suddenly his mind was invaded by powerful images of an alien society that he did not understand.  His brain hurt and he fell to his knees and passed out.

When Seamus awoke, he was starving… and smarter… much, much smarter.  He retraced his steps and found the cave he entered open again.  Staggering out into the cold night, he somehow knew by looking at the moon in the sky, and its size that three days had passed.  Heading back to his great uncle’s cottage, he soon came across local police who had mobilized to find him. 

When his friends realized that they could not get to Seamus and after scouring the countryside for another cave where they might be able to get to Seamus but not finding one, they rushed home to tell their tell, which was met with great suspicion.  When the cave could not be found where the lads said it should be, the locals and ‘Peelers’ (nickname for Irish cops, like Bobbies in England) were out on a manhunt, figuring they might find Seamus’s corpse somewhere, falling victim of foul play.

The Lads were all released from custody when Seamus’s story matched their own to a tee, though the cave under the tree was not there when they returned.  The Captain gave the boys stern warnings, but not sure what ‘game’ they might be playing at, no charges could be pressed against them.

It didn’t take long for the boys to realize something happened to Seamus.  His speech and knowledge of things had increased exponentially.  They began to suspect that instead of being just one of them, but now Seamus was probably the most intelligent person they knew.  Things began to grow awkward.  Then the letter came.

Muriel McDougal, Seamus’s mother, found out that she had contracted cancer.  It turned out that she had been exposed to hazardous materials at the factory where she worked.  8 cases came up all around the same time but the factory, controlled by mob bosses, were able to keep it all under wraps with targeted bribes and payouts to the families, which Muriel had accepted. 

On top of that, the two friends that Seamus had (in Freedom City) were killed in a drive-by shooting when a ‘gang war’ had broken out between two rival gangs and spilled over into all of the surrounding neighborhoods. 

With his mother dying, Seamus spent all his time trying to comfort and take care of her.  But that didn’t take long.  Muriel was the first of the 8 to pass, leaving Seamus alone and angry.  He remembered stories of Freedom city ‘fairy tales’ about Lantern Jack and Minuteman, as well as the rich and storied history Freedom City had with masked crime fighters, Seamus decided to do something about the gang violence and the mafia ties to seemingly legitimate businesses. 

Using what little money was left from the settlement and what little money he had from the inheritance, Seamus began building high tech gizmos with the newfound, and undiminished, intelligence he’d gained after touching the stone.  The first thing he’d developed with a ‘stealth field’ that turned him virtually invisible and allowed him to go where ever he needed to go and uncover whatever he needed to find.  Soon, anonymous files about gang activities and Mafiosos turned up in police precincts.  Some arrests were made, some cops were discovered to be corrupt as they buried crucial evidence.

As time went by, Seamus developed newer and better technology.  Soon The Vendetta was born with the aim to avenge the unjust deaths of his mother and friends while rooting out corruption within the same systems that were supposed to protect and defend the innocent people of Freedom City