IC Thread

Dash and Yitzhak give Paddy a weary wave off as they continue on towards your shared stateroom corridor. Paddy finds Arrdzu and Jayne in the kitchen (door open) carrying on a hushed conversation.

%5BQUOTE%3DSuzuki%20Stumpy%3B16368097%5DTurning%20to%20Arrdzu%20he%20adds%2C%20%5BB%5D%5BCOLOR%3D%22Sienna%22%5D%22You%20ain't%20wrong%20about%20the%20big%20boy%20neither.%20%20He%20ain't%20a%20bad%20sort%20I%20reckon%2C%20but%20yeah%2C%20watch%20your%20step%20around%20him.%20%20And%20don't%2C%20for%20any%20reason%2C%20make%20an%20enemy%20out%20of%20him.%22%5B%2FCOLOR%5D%5B%2FB%5D%5B%2FQUOTE%5D%0A
Originally posted by Suzuki Stumpy;16368097
Turning to Arrdzu he adds, "You ain't wrong about the big boy neither. He ain't a bad sort I reckon, but yeah, watch your step around him. And don't, for any reason, make an enemy out of him."

"Might be a bit late for that", Arrdzu replies with a frown, "people like him don't take 'no' for an answer..."

After a moment, Arrdzu sighs and adds "The sad thing is, he isn't even lying when he says he is taking good care of Tanith's Vargr. Because I think he truly believes it himself. Problem is, people like him don't like people who tell him 'no', so they end up surrounded by 'yes-men'. So yeah. Getting off Tanith was the best thing I could do. Gave me a whole 'nother outside perspective on things. To be fair, he didn't imply anything about bad things happening to my family or anything."

"Anyway, Chief, I trust you to be an honest and honourable person. So, what you decide to do, I have your back. Oh and also, what Paddy said, gotta get this rig ready for trouble. I would really like to get that hull integrity check done. Yeah yeah, assessment report for the auction mentioned no problems, but you know how it goes, never trust a report you didn't fake yourself and all..."

Jayne's thoughts get caught up in the subject of 'shields'. "Has anyone 'looked' at what we've got for shields, if we've got any at all, on this bucket?"

Arrdzu tilts his head and looks at Paddy, then back to Jayne "We have shields? News to me... Oh, you mean the power plant shielding, yeah we are definitely checking that too."

Paddy shakes his head. "I'd be seriously surprised if we've got any form of shielding on this bucket. If we're lucky, we'll have some plate armour on the more vulnerable sections I guess, but that's really only gonna protect against any debris floating in our general direction. Nah, we might be able to rustle up a mining laser or two for defense if we can get those turrets into service. There's also that huge mass driver - although I've no idea if that's aimable, or if we'd have to get lucky and hope that someone parks in its firing line so we can fling chunks of rock at 'em."

• 5 weeks later...

(Not sure if I actually posted this back during the group conversation, so I'll post here.)

As The merchant captain passes Elaine he taps his rather expensive looking comm unit against Elaine's data pad. "There's our hold inventory. It's all for sale by the way," he says with a grin.

Elaine looks it over, her eyebrow raising a time or two. The visitors head off to their 'new' quarters and after a couple of moments Elaine follows Rumy's path towards Main Mission.

(What time do each of you plan to get up tomorrow?)

Tomorrow is Fourthly 064-1104

Edited by RobBadener (see edit history)

Jayne replies to Arrdzu's and Paddy's comments. "That's pretty much what I thought." She pauses a moment more before adding, "I'm heading for bunk. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

She takes her drink and heads off down the hall.

Reaching her room, she keys the unlock code and enters. setting her drink on the desk, she sits down to relax a few moments before moving in to other things

Name
Skill
2d6+2 3,2

"All right, Chief", Arrdzu replies with a nod,"see ya tomorrow at shift start. You too, Paddy."

As the conversation is finished, Arrdzu returns to his own room, ready to turn in. Making sure his alarm is set an hour before shift start, he changes out of his suit and climbs into his bunk, curling up and pulling the blanket over himself.

Tomorrow will be buisy.

Again.

"Yeah, g'night both." Paddy says, waving off Aardzu and Jayne. He grabs himself another beverage before heading off towards his own bunk, lost in thought as to possible courses of action should that pirate fleet show up. He mulls a few ideas over in his head - but keeps coming back to the potential of sacrificing one of the ships - perhaps loading it full of mining charges rigged to blow at a remote signal. If they could set the thing adrift on the likely approach vector, the pirates might take the bait and allow the station crew to take out a sizable number of them in one go.

If nothing else, he figures he'll float the idea with the higher-ups tomorrow morning.

Arriving at his stateroom, Paddy unlocks the door and heads in. He places his drink on the cabinet besides his bunk, gets undressed, has a quick shower before turning in. Setting his alarm to wake him in plenty of time for the start of tomorrow's shift rotation.

It's @7am when you awake. Each of you has a flashing comm unit telling you to arrive for work in vacc suits. Most of the other staff are in the cantina when you arrive. Elaine, Rumy, and the 'Bosses' are conspicuously absent however.

There is 'bacon and eggs' with toast and freeze-dried fruit for breakfast.

It doesn't take long for Arrdzu to get ready. As a Vargr, he doesn't need to take showers like Humans, just brushing his teeth and brushing out some knots from his fur are all it takes. Well, that and getting into his HEV suit. Taking in the 'news-flash' on his comm unit while still half dressed, Arrdzu can' help but roll his eyes. What do they thing he's doing right now, growing cabbages?

Arriving for morning chow, Arrdzu doesn't need a menu to tell him what's cooking, his nose knows half-way down the corridor. Well, the pungent bacon and eggs, or rather 'bacon and eggs', but still good and drool-worthy. Oh and is that a whiff of toast under the heavy layer of synth-meat and re-constituded egg? The fruit are a nice surpricse though.Freeze-dried or not, what Vargr doesn't have a sweet fang for fruit?

Seeking out his crew-chief, Arrdzu still waits for Jayne's permission before joining her at the table. "Morning Chief. Permission to join?"

Once seated, he digs into his breakfast, grousing over the comm-message "I mean, I get it, better to say it out loud then to assume everybody knows and then getting disappointed. But every voidsman worth their vacc-suit ought to know you always suit up when working void-adjacent. And on a small rig like this one, there are no places where the number of airtight bulkheads between you and the void is greater then 1."

Jayne, as she prefers to do, has taken her shower before bed. She likes to keep her sheets clean and sweat free as long as possible before 'linen day'. Sometimes she wishes she didn't have sweat glans, but all in all, she's pretty happy with her body the way it is.

Feeling glad the walls are thin, she jumps out of bed, splashes some water on her face, and quickly dresses. She stops short of getting fully dressed when she sees the order for vacc suits. Instead, she wears only the vacc suit under garments that are designed to prevent chafing and blistering. After performing a preliminary suit check, she exits her room, locking her door behind her.

Entering the flow of air near the cantina, she catches the aroma bacon, eggs, and toast, she is happy to find that there is also fruit. Sitting at a table, she looks up and replies to Arrdzu. "Sure, join me." She continues to eat while listening to Arrdzu's words of wisdom.

15 minutes before his alarm is due to sound, Paddy steps out of the fresher and towels himself dry. As he does so, he checks the messages on his comm and sees the requirement to go fully vacc-suited today. Cursing under his breath, he grabs the underlayer and begins zipping himself into the snug all-in-one bodysuit before donning the outer shell, checking all his seals are in place, but leaving the hood unsealed, hanging loosely at the nape of his neck.

Damn it, how he hated wearing these things, necessary though they were out here.

In short order, he's ready and heads down to the dining area where the smells of a good breakfast make his stomach growl. After helping himself to a good plate full of bacon, eggs and toast, he pours a coffee and heads over to the table where Jayne and Aardzu are sat in conversation.

Without asking permission, he simply places his tray down at an empty place at their table and sits down. "Morning both." he says before downing a sizable glug of coffee, "So, any idea what's in store for us all today?"