Character Creation Questions and/or Introductions

Cointhief

Hey there, no knowledge of Spelljammer is expected by the module. You can know as little or as much as you wish.

Returning players belong to a Realmspace Fleet organization and should be able to get you up to speed fairly quickly, if not the myriad of helpful NPCs. There really isn't that many strange space rules to become familiar with, other than gravity planes, air envelopes, and ship to ship combat. All are fairly simple to understand, I think, and will be covered as the game goes along.

In short, the gravity plane works like the surface of water (you are pulled down, but it also has a buoyancy pushing you up). Air quality degrades on long trips and needs attention, and can merge with other ships air if you get too close. Ship-to-ship combat is simple, just has a few weapon ranges to become familiar with.

Regarding psionics, no, there isn't a roll or anything like previous settings/editions. If you want your character to have psionics, take a psionic feat (telekinetic, telepathic), race, or subclass. The closest thing to 'psion' in this edition is the aberrant mind sorcerer with a custom spell list. If you review the rules for it, you will see how truly unique (and amazing) a subclass it is. However, if you would rather refluff an existing, more traditional class I would be open to it. Other paths like the soulknife rogue and psi warrior fighter are also reminiscent of past incarnations. Githyanki, githzerai, and kalashtar have abilities that fit the trend of 'magic without components' = psionics. Giff, ghostwise halflings, and thri-keen to a lesser extent.

And just to be clear, psionics is absolutely not required by any PCs. You will 100% certain encounter monsters and npcs with such abilities, however.

Noticed a few join requests.

Please just follow the overview page for now, I'll send Join invites after the selection process.

(The Joins I already accepted are the previous players.)

Do you allow custom lineage? I got inspired and created this, and would like to know if it would be acceptable:

Race: Mews

Physical Appearance:
The Mews are a small humanoid race, standing at an average height of about 2.2 to 3.2 feet tall. They possess a distinctly feline appearance, with fur covering their bodies in a variety of colors and patterns reminiscent of domestic cats. Their eyes are large and expressive, with slit pupils, and their ears are pointed and often twitch with awareness. Mews have agile, dexterous hands with retractable claws that they can extend at will. They walk upright on two legs, with a graceful and nimble gait that reflects their feline heritage.

Origins and Homeland:
The Mews hail from a mysterious realm known as Felinia, a lush and diverse world teeming with vast forests, grasslands, and towering cities built amidst the treetops. Felinia is a realm rich in magical energy, which has influenced the evolution of the Mews, granting them their unique abilities and intelligence.

The Mews are a curious and adventurous race, always seeking new experiences and knowledge. They have a natural affinity for exploration, often venturing beyond their homelands to satisfy their insatiable curiosity about other worlds and cultures. Felinia itself is a world of wonders, with ancient ruins, mystical phenomena, and untamed wilderness awaiting those who dare to explore.

Culture and Society:
Mews society is centered around exploration and adventure. They are naturally curious creatures, driven by a desire to discover new places, seek out hidden treasures, and uncover ancient mysteries. Mews live in close-knit clans, each led by a chieftain or elder known for their wisdom and experience. Clan members work together, pooling their skills and resources to support each other in their expeditions.

Customs and Traditions:
Mews are known for their craftsmanship, particularly in crafting small, intricate items and tools. They excel at creating lightweight, portable gear ideal for their nomadic lifestyle. They are also known as alchemist geniuses, and invented weapons and devices using explosive powder to defend themselves against foes and predators.

Mews celebrate their successes with lively dances and feasts, often incorporating music played on instruments fashioned from natural materials found on Felinia.

Religion and Beliefs:
The Mews worship a pantheon of nature deities associated with the cycles of life and the elements of Felinia. These deities are often depicted as majestic beasts or spirits of the land, revered for their role in maintaining the balance of their world. Rituals and ceremonies involve offerings of food, dance, and song, celebrating the changing seasons and honoring the spirits of their ancestors.

Interactions with Other Races:
Mews are naturally curious about other races and cultures, often forging friendships with travelers and adventurers from distant worlds. They are known for their hospitality and generosity, welcoming visitors with open arms and a warm purr.

Their diplomatic skills are unmatched, using charm and wit to navigate complex social interactions. Mews are also skilled negotiators and traders, leveraging their natural agility and intellect to strike lucrative deals and form alliances.

In summary, the Mews are a race of adventurous and inquisitive beings, blending feline grace with humanoid intelligence. Their culture is steeped in nature, art, and exploration, making them valued allies and companions in the vast universe of Spelljammer.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

@Cointhief I want to embrace the silliness with a plasmoid monk with guns. But does that work mechanically? I can take the Gunner feat to get proficiency with firearms, but there are additional restrictions on monk weapons.

1. The weapon must be simple or martial
  2. It must lack the heavy and special properties.

I.e. what are the properties of firearms in Spelljammer?

If that doesn't work, I can look at other classes that make jammin' gunslingers.

2 hours ago, Ayeba said:

@Cointhief I want to embrace the silliness with a plasmoid monk with guns. But does that work mechanically? I can take the Gunner feat to get proficiency with firearms, but there are additional restrictions on monk weapons.

1. The weapon must be simple or martial
  2. It must lack the heavy and special properties.

I.e. what are the properties of firearms in Spelljammer?

If that doesn't work, I can look at other classes that make jammin' gunslingers.

Look up the Way of the Kensai subclass for Monk (in Tasha's or Xanathar's? I can't recall which one right now).

At 3rd level you pick a one-handed melee weapon lacking Special or Heavy,, and a Ranged Weapon, which you A. Gain Proficiency in, and B. Gain access to some nice tricks while wielding them...including being able to use your bonus action to make an unarmed strike whenever you attack with either weapon.

For Melee weapons, you can treat the weapon as if it had Finesse, so "DEX Yay!" on Longswords/Battle Axes. Eventually you can also the weapon to deliver stunning strikes.

For Ranged weapons, you can also spend your bonus action to focus your shot and get extra damage if you hit.

It's not a perfect fit for doing a "ranged monk", but it's one I personally have done before...played Human (Mark of Finding), Monk (Kensai) who favoured a musket that he'd also use like a spear, glaiive (depending on the bayonet!) or staff in melee, using his monk movement tricks to get to the most opportune firing positions in the field during combat.

EDIT: For alternatives, Fighter (most archetypes), Ranger (most archetypes), Rogue (most archetypes, but Assassins make absolutely nasty snipers with a musket or concealed pistol) Artificer (Battlesmith or Artillerist), and Warlock (Bladepact Hexblade w/Improved Pact Weapon) are all good options in my experience.

Edited by ResidualRose (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, ResidualRose said:

Look up the Way of the Kensai subclass for Monk (in Tasha's or Xanathar's? I can't recall which one right now).

At 3rd level you pick a one-handed melee weapon lacking Special or Heavy,, and a Ranged Weapon, which you A. Gain Proficiency in, and B. Gain access to some nice tricks while wielding them...including being able to use your bonus action to make an unarmed strike whenever you attack with either weapon.

For Melee weapons, you can treat the weapon as if it had Finesse, so "DEX Yay!" on Longswords/Battle Axes. Eventually you can also the weapon to deliver stunning strikes.

For Ranged weapons, you can also spend your bonus action to focus your shot and get extra damage if you hit.

It's not a perfect fit for doing a "ranged monk", but it's one I personally have done before...played Human (Mark of Finding), Monk (Kensai) who favoured a musket that he'd also use like a spear, glaiive (depending on the bayonet!) or staff in melee, using his monk movement tricks to get to the most opportune firing positions in the field during combat.

EDIT: For alternatives, Fighter (most archetypes), Ranger (most archetypes), Rogue (most archetypes, but Assassins make absolutely nasty snipers with a musket or concealed pistol) Artificer (Battlesmith or Artillerist), and Warlock (Bladepact Hexblade w/Improved Pact Weapon) are all good options in my experience.

With Tasha's, all monks get the Kensei ability to use any simple or martial weapon as a monk weapon -- as long as they don't have the "special" or "heavy" properties. I can still take Kensei, but I'm thinking about even weirder combinations than that. Yes, I can be a plasmoid gunslinging monk... but how about a drunken plasmoid gunslinging monk? Just as an example. Haven't decided on it yet.

The reason I want Gunner regardless is because I want the power fantasy of someone dancing in and out of melee while using guns, and without that feat you have disadvantage on adjacent targets. If I wanted it to be a purely ranged character, I could've gone with some other class.

I appreciate the other alternatives you list. I plan to have the character psionically themed, refluffing the monk abilities to be psionic powers. If not monk, then I'll go with some other class that allows me to live the psionic power fantasy, but most class can work in that regard. Not wizards, druids or clerics, but all others should work. Heck, a psionic bard might need to sing and gesture to concentrate, explaining why they have verbal and somatic components on their spells. Then it's just a matter of choosing the spells that are thematically appropriate.

@Harding Yes, custom lineage from Tasha's is on the table. I might only take 1 though if there are a ton of apps with it.

@Ayeba They are martial ranged weapons, yes. You can find all their properties in the DMG, they all lack Heavy and Special.

@Semety Of course.

I've posted a character.

For an Uncommon Magic Item, I'd reaaaaaaaaalllly like a Musket +1, mostly because I can't afford to buy a regular one with starting gold and a Giff just doesn't feel right without a gun.

If not, I'll have to think about what I would want instead.

You already have a plasmoid monk! I can't believe I missed that on my first reading. That makes my concept a lot less attractive. I'll have to come up with something else then...