The infected battle

wrathgon

Show this

Mechanically, I don't see a reason for them to stay. They lost the field, so the defenses are gone, they are out of the mountains. So there go those bonuses. Fighting weakens the living, while rewarding the infected. Holding keeps hexes, but overwhelming force would be better to not feed them 'Idiot BBEG style' (classic level 1 farmer to hero).

The army assembled quickly, but the fight was/should be a loss from the start. Even more so, considering the free racial mechanics and unpreparedness of the living.

Fluff-wise, they are hardliners... so full retreating is out I assume?

{I don't think it is a complete battle plan, but I have done my best to cover a wider area of points. I welcome the criticism of the chosen actions, it will hopefully improve my thinking on the subject in the future.}

I'm sorry, but your combat system is opaque to me. I didn't realize there was anything meaningful in expending effort on fluff for bonuses.

Well, you said they tried everything suggested already... so... 

Sorry for the delay, it appears there are no ground sharpshooters, in contrast to what I was led to believe. Had to start over.

The objective is to inflict lasting casualties, while minimizing the ones they receive. Hold and repel if possible. Double-time it out if it comes to it. Maintain the war materials, and haul out the damaged cannons if they can be moved. A war of attrition favors the infected. Sacrificing the hex to buy time for supplies/reinforcements, if possible, is likely the smartest choice.

{Assumes battle to the infected is a downward slope}

Single tier of raised defenses. A few single troll shoots that fit boulders [noted later]. The soldier front line is back from the physically constructed line, topped with blazing water-resistant burning materials to disperse the mist and provide a backdrop to view against. The space is flat and clear of obstructions.

[Half center, quarter left flank, quarter right flank]

[Split battleragers 50/50 on the flanks]

[Call training to designate clusters, need to fallback/regroup, etc]

Have decoys constructed that generates a sound/movement and are interspersed in the melee as distractions. However, that looks useless if the astral sight is some living detection.

Buddy the alchemists with the melees to throw bombs at spaces and score AoE damage.

Flanks should have physical barriers to limit enemy movements.

Add a raised tier (up ramps exist) for the gunners to get a clear shot. Lower-level mages are stationed here for legion magic weapon (I know) to burst down individual banshee mists. They just have to hit one of the squares they exist in. Pretty big targets.

[100 human gunslingers for each: center, right flank, left flank - remaining on the rise]

[dwarven gunslingers on the rise - are the clusters for the buffs]

Array the heavy clockwork cannons on the raised tier with clear lines of fire. Human gunners double for their protection. As a siege weapon (?) they don't target single enemies, but spaces instead. Any elf without a ride will help as spotters.

The knights are to one flank or the other for charging from the side. The front ranks have sound signals for the knights to retreat through their lines, varying their approach and sometimes canceling it to keep them unpredictable.

Combine air/wind magic with the other elite troops [streamguns, firethrowers, powered armor] to act as small strike forces when there is a big knot and the risk with fireball/etc is too high. Quick strikes and then back into their lines.

As the flyers are the sharpshooters, I can't suggest weighted lances/spears to trap the vampires. 

All elves should have at least one silver blanch worth of ammunition (there should be more, IMO) and have magic weapons, allowing even fighting. They should be focusing their firing for kills when possible. Keeping the flyers busy otherwise. [Basically canceling each other out]

Harrying the main force is likely ineffective due to the assumed constant cover. A token effort to keep them honest is probably best though?

Honestly not sure what clerics are supposed to do in mass combat. Haven't built a PF one. Keep them defensive with dispelling, healing, and the like?

Ground troops not actively engaged at the front line, with ranged weapons, provide support for the flyers.

Powered Armor should be utilized in pairs when actively engaging in close quarters. Otherwise, they act as a force multiplier and anchor point for their units.

If possible, prepare treated boulders for up to two waves of flaming rocks downhill. Utilizing the Engineering vehicles to shape/make them. Powered Armor to move if needed. I am dubious of the effectiveness, but it sounds on theme. They are deployed on approach, not mid-fight.

Rigging a full-on rockslide from the mountainside sounds like a great idea, but it would likely get spotted, take too much time, and require materials not on hand.

Clear and established avenues for a retreat should be present. Something could be rigged to block the ramps to buy time.

At some point, Prax will empower a sensible number of melee units and/or powered armor troops with Enlarge Person for a counter thrust.

She also appears to be able to cast Mage Armor, on everyone?

If she has a clear shot at a group and will not hit any living, she launches a fireball.

On the retreat or defensive plays, she can bring into play a wall of stone or fire.

{Specifics for other powered armor units are beyond my knowledge.}

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

So as day passes looks like attack will be at night. The overall light level is dim cause of temporal glow from Atmosphere. What if anything do u do to light battlefield?

also make a EDU check please

Name
roll
1d20 7

11 hours ago, Sohala said:

Show this

Mechanically, I don't see a reason for them to stay. They lost the field, so the defenses are gone, they are out of the mountains. So there go those bonuses. Fighting weakens the living, while rewarding the infected. Holding keeps hexes, but overwhelming force would be better to not feed them 'Idiot BBEG style' (classic level 1 farmer to hero).

The army assembled quickly, but the fight was/should be a loss from the start. Even more so, considering the free racial mechanics and unpreparedness of the living.

Fluff-wise, they are hardliners... so full retreating is out I assume?

{I don't think it is a complete battle plan, but I have done my best to cover a wider area of points. I welcome the criticism of the chosen actions, it will hopefully improve my thinking on the subject in the future.}

I'm sorry, but your combat system is opaque to me. I didn't realize there was anything meaningful in expending effort on fluff for bonuses.

Well, you said they tried everything suggested already... so... 

Sorry for the delay, it appears there are no ground sharpshooters, in contrast to what I was led to believe. Had to start over.

The objective is to inflict lasting casualties, while minimizing the ones they receive. Hold and repel if possible. Double-time it out if it comes to it. Maintain the war materials, and haul out the damaged cannons if they can be moved. A war of attrition favors the infected. Sacrificing the hex to buy time for supplies/reinforcements, if possible, is likely the smartest choice.

{Assumes battle to the infected is a downward slope}

Single tier of raised defenses. A few single troll shoots that fit boulders [noted later]. The soldier front line is back from the physically constructed line, topped with blazing water-resistant burning materials to disperse the mist and provide a backdrop to view against. The space is flat and clear of obstructions.

[Half center, quarter left flank, quarter right flank]

[Split battleragers 50/50 on the flanks]

[Call training to designate clusters, need to fallback/regroup, etc]

Have decoys constructed that generates a sound/movement and are interspersed in the melee as distractions. However, that looks useless if the astral sight is some living detection.

Buddy the alchemists with the melees to throw bombs at spaces and score AoE damage.

Flanks should have physical barriers to limit enemy movements.

Add a raised tier (up ramps exist) for the gunners to get a clear shot. Lower-level mages are stationed here for legion magic weapon (I know) to burst down individual banshee mists. They just have to hit one of the squares they exist in. Pretty big targets.

[100 human gunslingers for each: center, right flank, left flank - remaining on the rise]

[dwarven gunslingers on the rise - are the clusters for the buffs]

Array the heavy clockwork cannons on the raised tier with clear lines of fire. Human gunners double for their protection. As a siege weapon (?) they don't target single enemies, but spaces instead. Any elf without a ride will help as spotters.

The knights are to one flank or the other for charging from the side. The front ranks have sound signals for the knights to retreat through their lines, varying their approach and sometimes canceling it to keep them unpredictable.

Combine air/wind magic with the other elite troops [streamguns, firethrowers, powered armor] to act as small strike forces when there is a big knot and the risk with fireball/etc is too high. Quick strikes and then back into their lines.

As the flyers are the sharpshooters, I can't suggest weighted lances/spears to trap the vampires. 

All elves should have at least one silver blanch worth of ammunition (there should be more, IMO) and have magic weapons, allowing even fighting. They should be focusing their firing for kills when possible. Keeping the flyers busy otherwise. [Basically canceling each other out]

Harrying the main force is likely ineffective due to the assumed constant cover. A token effort to keep them honest is probably best though?

Honestly not sure what clerics are supposed to do in mass combat. Haven't built a PF one. Keep them defensive with dispelling, healing, and the like?

Ground troops not actively engaged at the front line, with ranged weapons, provide support for the flyers.

Powered Armor should be utilized in pairs when actively engaging in close quarters. Otherwise, they act as a force multiplier and anchor point for their units.

If possible, prepare treated boulders for up to two waves of flaming rocks downhill. Utilizing the Engineering vehicles to shape/make them. Powered Armor to move if needed. I am dubious of the effectiveness, but it sounds on theme. They are deployed on approach, not mid-fight.

Rigging a full-on rockslide from the mountainside sounds like a great idea, but it would likely get spotted, take too much time, and require materials not on hand.

Clear and established avenues for a retreat should be present. Something could be rigged to block the ramps to buy time.

At some point, Prax will empower a sensible number of melee units and/or powered armor troops with Enlarge Person for a counter thrust.

She also appears to be able to cast Mage Armor, on everyone?

If she has a clear shot at a group and will not hit any living, she launches a fireball.

On the retreat or defensive plays, she can bring into play a wall of stone or fire.

{Specifics for other powered armor units are beyond my knowledge.}

So they are trying to stop the infected from getting to ruin city, its where all the most powerful magic is, old libraries on the nature of magic ect. If they can hold this wave reinforces will come from elves and humans that are moving up. But infected reinforces are also moving up. If they take this hex they got a clear path to send reinforces to city and hold it.

Show this

Cities that have been fought over for ages, but not looted. -because some effect prevents it no doubt

And the infected will find what they are looking for in short order, having a wildly impactful change to their ability to fight further. -compared to the other races which I assume have already held the cities at one time or the other

That is after the infected already have spellcasters, mind you.

Bards would be a nice addition to a mass combat...

Reduced lighting

I believe the elves and dwarves are still fully functional in 'dim' light?

To assist the humans, there will be rocks/stones studded into the worked stone surfaces (the battlefield) for the express purpose of enchanting with light. Spellcasters can maintain a single 'Light' spell effect each. They are responsible for maintaining their own. They additionally have a pocket full of stones for ad-hoc placement. They are not to keep the light on their person.

Alchemical and conventional lighting should overlap with the magic-based one.

If possible, utilize long ranged spotlights for the cannons, along with launched flares. The flares will likely have to be a constant stream if the vampires have enough air control to take them out.

With the reduced vision, sacrifices may have to be made for scouting and tracking their movements.

{I suppose it needs to be noted that higher-level assets are never alone. The soldiers/gunners are aware they are expected to protect the spellcasters from direct threats, while the spellcasters in turn protect them.}

{For whatever it is worth, Prax will burn her +10 to saves for those under her command on this round.}

{The unmodified roll was a 3.}

Unhide infected plans up above.

When night is in full swing your foes start to show up at end of battlefield. They gather and over the next few minutes the dim gloom is covered by completely black globes across the front lines.

The globes move forward to 1 mile from your holding position, still out of range of most of your weapon and any fired weapons at that range is a waste of power.

Next globes of darkness fly up into the sky and fall over all of your positions. A total of 50 darkness casted arrows covering 20 foot radius dispel your light spells and the darkness brings light level to darkness blinding anyone without dark vision. The elves are flying and can stay out of the area of effects. The darkness area is about 200 feet across the battlefield.

Next volley is 32 deeper darkness arrows that cover 60 foot each covering most of the battlefield in darkness almost 500 foot more of the battlefield is in darkness.

All light spells of level 2 or level 3 are instantly dispelled, only light spells of 4th or higher will work and dispel that area of the darkness effects.

With that done, the fliers move forward in to harry the troops. Ignoring the defense bonus but being outnumber 5 to 1 they dont do well. Even with the darkness they can caught too much with blind fire with elven spotters.

288+17(all fliers)+17(movement 100+)+10(win)+22(roll)=354

291-20-20(defense)=251 +70( 5 to 1) + 68+20(tactics) = 409

Allies win 55

Allies lose 20% but can advance, attackers lose 70% cant hold field retreat. Mod tired allies serious tired attackers

As the fliers take on the force in darkness, the archers continue to just fire volleys into the darkness knowing their arrows wont hurt their own troops.

Some pockets of light appear after the darkness is dispelled, mainly around the mages. But it is short lived as more arrows are fired to bring them back into darkness.

The main force under the cover of darkness leaves this plane through worldwalk spell and enters the ethereal plane taking about 7 mins to move 600 troops onto the plane. They then march in a straight line to the spot near the mages and the commander casts worldwalk twice making 2 portal back to the Prime. 10 troops a round pour out into the darkness and start to attack anything in the area with their ghoul seers. This also negates the defense bonuses set up.

288-17(no fliers)+10+52 = 333

291 -20 -20(defense overcome)=251+20(tactics)+1=272

61 infected win 20+20% loses for infected, 50% losses for allies.

Once the commander realizes the infected are among them he calls the retreat and tried to get as many as he can out, only half he men make it off the battlefield.

Prax covers the retreat emptying her gun as the infected swarm over their locations, he spells fly free but even with all that half her men fall, the lucky ones die, the unluckily ones she does not want to think about it.....

The commander uses his armor to blind and confuse anything that comes too close as his troops fall back behind him. a unit of trolls tries to bull rush him and he takes the 10 charing trolls head on stopping them dead in their tracks. He kills half of them before they retreat back out of his reach.

Daylight (third level) counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level
Deeper darkness (third level) can be used to counter or dispel any light spell of equal or lower spell level

I assume you did something specialized to increase the Deeper Darkness's effective spell level, of course.

Counterpoint portals: Summoned walls, while they are protected by their walls, they are bottlenecked by the defenders' walls. Lack of visibility. Also, did they have time to clear the space to cast a prismatic wall? The spell is blocked without enough space. We can assume the space.

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)

heighten metamagic feat spells commander has it which is where most of the spells were coming from a few others too have it

He didnt have to use the wall to defend as the darkness was still covered.

Again you telling me you would have your mages take daylight instead of fireball? i doubt it mate

Actually, I was looking at the clerics, since they were in a dispeller/defensive role.

Again, I assumed you had something specialized. This whole fighting force is based on specialized units/tactics.

they had tactics planned for, mass darkness was one that they had prepared to use alot and had different ways to overcome the simple counters of light. These tactics have not been used before in this way so there is no way they would have counters ready for any of these tactics used in these last few days. These are are a different new infected you fight today.

Worldwalk? That is an interesting spell. Assuming that is the RAW for it... it does require an open space or a wall. They could still use it, obviously, but it would have to be on a flank instead of on the rise. I suppose the base of the rise would work too. It IS within the melee's defensive line still. The wall compounds the bottleneck, but gives you better protection to fully get the troops in without them dying first. -it happens either way, they find a spot or have to shift it to a viable location, it could be behind them for all I know, just unlikely to be directly in the middle -also good to know there are multiple planes for this setting

The empowered darkness is clearly a new tactic. I would not argue otherwise. Standard-slotted darkness was a possible expectation on the field, with assumedly limited resources invested into directly countering that tactic. -the idea was there, but it just wasn't enough.

The one part I didn't see was the boulders. Were those just not possible? I did think they might be a stretch at the time.

it doesnt have to be against anything

The worldwalk portal can be cast up to 30 yards away and can be oriented either vertically or horizontally. One side shows the opening into the other plane, while the other is a smooth, gray disk. A portal cannot be cast into an area already occupied by something else, though it can be cast against a wall or other hard surface.

One of the tactics i used with this spell was to open it above things and pour green slime into portal which falls ontop of things and puff instant death and they turn into green smile no save in 2e heh DM hated me for that tactic so many BBG died that way.

The boulders had no targets, by the time they had they were in around troops so could not fire them off without killing own troops

I wasn't saying it had to be, more trying to reason out how it could be deployed directly into another force when it was saying it needed open space. By it being against a wall or rise, it gained the required space. I noted the vertical, but missed the horizontal. -I was trying to fit it in, not block it

The grouping of darkness that had to approach within 200ft seemed like a viable target. The only aiming done was in the general direction of the opposing force; the shoots set up for them and then how the landscape was shaped. This wasn't a 'drop' on the enemy thing, it was rolling down the slope, gaining speed and hoping; maybe delaying them because they had to dodge and regroup. The noted sizing was to indicate the size of the boulders. -if it is ineffective, it is ineffective, just thought I would clarify

There wasn't much of the Army left in the darkness. More than half of them had plane hopped and the other flyers were already ahead. There was probably only 200 archers spread out. So it would have been pretty ineffectual. Because you'd only delay a couple of the archers. Because each of those borders are not that big and space they were spread over was 1000 feet. We didn't need to hit just get close enough.

City army

100 magic golems

Magic Golem

Size/Type: Large Construct

Hit Dice: 10d10+40 (95 hp)

Initiative: -1

Speed: 30 ft. (can't run)

Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +12 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 20

Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17

Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d8+7)

Full Attack: 2 slams +13 melee (2d8+7)

Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.

Special Attacks: Spellcasting

Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, spell resistance 16

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +3

Abilities: Str 24, Dex 8, Con —, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 1

Skills: Concentration +10, Knowledge (Arcana) +14, Spellcraft +14

Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Toughness, Iron Will

Environment: Any

Organization: Solitary

Challenge Rating: 8

Treasure: None

Alignment: Usually neutral

Advancement: 11-20 HD (Large); 21-30 HD (Huge)

Spellcasting: The Magic Golem has the ability to cast spells as a 7th-level sorcerer. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14 + spell level). It knows the following spells:

1st level (6/day): Magic Missile, Shield, Mage Armor

2nd level (5/day): Mirror Image, Invisibility, Resist Energy

3rd level (4/day): Fireball, Haste, Lightning Bolt

Construct Traits: Immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromancy effects, critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. Cannot heal damage on its own, but can be repaired.

Description: The Magic Golem is a large construct imbued with arcane energies. It is created to serve as a guardian or to carry out specific magical tasks. Its body is made of a combination of metal, stone, and enchanted materials. The golem's eyes emit a faint glow, and intricate magical symbols are etched onto its surface.

1. Arcane Blast: The Magic Golem can unleash a focused burst of arcane energy as a ranged touch attack, dealing damage based on its Hit Dice.

2. Dispel Magic: The Magic Golem can cast Dispel Magic as an innate ability a certain number of times per day. This allows it to counter or suppress magical effects in its vicinity.

3. Spell Absorption: The Magic Golem has the ability to absorb and store spells cast upon it. It can release these spells at a later time as a free action or use the stored energy to power its own spellcasting.

4. Dimension Door: The Magic Golem can teleport itself and a small number of creatures within its reach to a nearby location as a defensive or tactical maneuver.

5. Spell Reflection: The Magic Golem can reflect a targeted spell back at its caster, potentially negating its effects. This ability can be used a limited number of times per day.

6. Spell Resistance Boost: The Magic Golem can temporarily increase its spell resistance, providing it with additional protection against hostile spells and magical effects.

7. Magic Immunity: The Magic Golem gains immunity to specific types of magic or spells, such as illusions or enchantments, making it highly resistant to manipulation or trickery.

8. Spell Mimicry: The Magic Golem can mimic a spell it has previously witnessed, casting it with the same effects and parameters. This ability allows the golem to adapt and respond creatively to various situations.

9. Mystic Aura: The Magic Golem can emit a field of magical energy, granting nearby allies a bonus to their spellcasting abilities, such as increased spell damage or improved spell resistance.

10. Spell Augmentation: The Magic Golem can enhance the potency or duration of spells cast by allies within a certain radius, bolstering their magical abilities and granting them additional benefits.

leader

Int 20 WIs 20 Cha 1

10+20

Name level +200

exp factor

Equipment

20 +5

Special

325 BFF

bonus

33x5

485 BR