Chat away

41 minutes ago, MrNeech said:

@Angelic Crux I'm fine with it if you want to have Emmelyn arrive before Dorian. I haven't firmly established where The Songstress is, but it's probably a longer walk for him than for her.

We can go with that. Seriously, it's like... right down the street...

11 minutes ago, bloodsprite said:

Those waiting on the outside feel free to narrative yourselves inside, I just wanted to add detail with the Harrow card note waiting inside, and took liberties to narrate one of the characters in so you had setting you could work off of. Add mysteriousness whimsy as wanted for dramatic effect, you will not step on my toes.

No worries on my part. My intro text was quite long (and took me a while), so I felt it best to take a break before posting the entrance (which I'll aim to get to tomorrow).

Say, @bloodsprite, as I'm playing a bit of a zealot here, I couldn't help but wonder a bit about your take on some of the spiritual metaphysics of Golarion. It always seems a bit like every DM slices the cake on which actions are neutral and which are evil/good/lawful/chaotic a bit differently. My primary interest in asking is mostly just so that, in playing someone unhealthily committed to Shelyn, I'm in line with the larger, cosmic principles of what constitutes "good" in your game.

As a starting place...

Pathfinder Core Rules: Alignment

Good Versus Evil

Good characters and creatures protect innocent life. Evil characters and creatures debase or destroy innocent life, whether for fun or profit.

Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.

Evil implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master.

People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent, but may lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others.

Law Versus Chaos

Lawful characters tell the truth, keep their word, respect authority, honor tradition, and judge those who fall short of their duties. Chaotic characters follow their consciences, resent being told what to do, favor new ideas over tradition, and do what they promise if they feel like it.

Law implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include closed-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, self-righteousness, and a lack of adaptability. Those who consciously promote lawfulness say that only lawful behavior creates a society in which people can depend on each other and make the right decisions in full confidence that others will act as they should.

Chaos implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benef it from the potential that its individuals have within them.

Someone who is neutral with respect to law and chaos has some respect for authority and feels neither a compulsion to obey nor a compulsion to rebel. She is generally honest, but can be tempted into lying or deceiving others.

Are you generally going by those guidelines? Are there any key terms you think we'd need clarified (like, if Lamm makes an orphan beat another orphan to avoid a beating, does the orphan-beating orphan still count as innocent? If we show up and find out that, in the last week, Lamm had a personal revelation and devoted himself to Sarenrae he's running a legitimate orphanage would killing him be evil? If it was evil, wouldn't that make Callistria CE instead of CN? If it's not evil, wouldn't that mean redemption is impossible in this life?)

Hooray for a ruleset that has certain mechanics hinge on these kinds of distinctions...

Anyway, long story short, I don't want to be more Pollyanna-ish than your take on (Neutral Good) Shelyn would ask, but I don't want to be less idealistic than she'd demand, either.

@Angelic Crux Yes generally sticking classic D&D, i.e. cowboy movie morality in game; not Gandhi level.
My poison vs alignment discussion in Character Creation Info would possible give insight on my take in game?

On 4/17/2024 at 11:10 AM, bloodsprite said:

poison allowed only as per deity, poisoning food in cold blood is evil (as you are indifferent to the waiter dying because they stole a fry), poisoning someone attacking you is neutral/good depending on their alignment, poisoning your blade as you wait in stealth to attack an evil NPC is neutral, knockout poison is neutral.

Spells like "infernal healing" though that get [evil] mark but you only do good things with, like healing good people/allies , I am not going to make your alignment drift, it will wash out as neutral for the spell. I am more likely to get you on repercussions of how are you obtaining the unholy water / devil blood, i.e. are you ignoring evil NPCs out of expedience of obtaining materials (that is not very LG)? Or are you just using a wand that you picked up off the bad guy to heal your hurt ally (neutral)?

I am looser on Law Versus Chaos, i.e. someone might break a j-walking rule in order to catch a murderer, or a person that gives no emotional respect to the law might hold to it out of not wanting to have the inconvenience of a fine/jail or just to fit in out of peer pressure. Players will drive any drift on Law Versus Chaos as they feel it fits their story.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Pen said:

Hi! Finishing off my character today, I think. Just one question: Are the "unchained" versions of character classes allowed? I've heard that's better for rogues.

Yes they are allowed, one thing that makes it more iffy as to what you prefer is that the huge benefit of unchained is the automatic weapon finesse feat, my game lets you buy weapon finesse and other 'elephant in the room' feats as a background trait and buy 2 background traits using a feat slot.

(original rogue has more add-ons and customizations then unchained, that might be preferable)

On 4/27/2024 at 10:04 AM, bloodsprite said:

Yes they are allowed, one thing that makes it more iffy as to what you prefer is that the huge benefit of unchained is the automatic weapon finesse feat, my game lets you buy weapon finesse and other 'elephant in the room' feats as a background trait and buy 2 background traits using a feat slot.

(original rogue has more add-ons and customizations then unchained, that might be preferable)

Gotcha, thanks. I'm gonna go standard. Ready for review. Apologies if I got the feats/traits wrong (those always trip me up).

Edited by The Mighty Pen (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

@Starhawk, @Angelic Crux, @DecoyGirl, @parody Get things in Character Sheets, look over each others stuff and help make sure it is right. Do final adjustments now that you know who is in your team. You should see posts Under 'Game' if I did things correct.

Let me know if you need to back out so I can select another.

Edited by bloodsprite (see edit history)