OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - As Above, So Below

bwatford

1 minute ago, Ayeba said:

@Harding Perhaps you can suggest the Bag of Holding in-character, so we can advance from this, frankly, minor issue?

Deidre already suggested the idea, but then, I guess I could make a post reminding the fact...

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

I somehow forgot a bag of holding could hold that much in weight. so yeah, it's a non-issue at this point. But i'll play off as Tabs forgetting that too. Sorry I've been holding us up on that

I figured Sanaa wouldn't stay in the hut, I'm not worried about her for that. AFAIK she doesn't need to sleep and can "help" keep an eye out, though her perception isn't wonderful

If we do manage to get through the doors, though, you'll probably have to re-summon Sanaa in order to get her into the dungeon.

Yes, depending on how much value we think she’ll provide in a small space. Summoning means we have to contend with the leylines have to use a spell slot to bring her around same as A familiar. So the day we summon her, I have to use a spell slot for it and prepare the spell.

If we're all in agreement of going up to the alcove, decide how you're going to get up (Athletics, most likely). Question will stay at the bottom until the rest are up, helping any climbers with Minor Illusion and the Telekinetic feat, as well as cast Feather Fall on any unlucky failures.

I don't get why Taborlin decided to throw up another rope? Maybe she doesn't trust Question's telekinetic rope-tying skills?

No athletics required if using a rope and out of combat. But feel free to make it as hard or easy as you need it to be for your narrative.

As far as RP goes here are some key points you can use while I'm gone.

1. The language has no known relationship to any language. Most known languages usually share some aspect.

2. No check you make, can decipher it. This actually is a player facing task that needs to be done during the game. So take notes as soon as you find hints to different letter solutions.

3. Comprehend languages fails to assist. A language beyond the ability for magic to decipher? Interesting.

4. The doors are impenetrable, no matter what damage is done to them they seem impervious to it.

I will have more OOC info for you this week, but that should be sufficient to keep you busy for the moment.

9 hours ago, Ayeba said:

If we're all in agreement of going up to the alcove, decide how you're going to get up (Athletics, most likely). Question will stay at the bottom until the rest are up, helping any climbers with Minor Illusion and the Telekinetic feat, as well as cast Feather Fall on any unlucky failures.

I don't get why Taborlin decided to throw up another rope? Maybe she doesn't trust Question's telekinetic rope-tying skills?

Flavor really, so we aren't all using the same rope. no mechanical advantage

Much appreciated.

I'm working on the symbols, but two things frustrate me. word1.jpg.7192a4bb4e8b01a6ff360eaa3a9363c8.jpg

First, that there are several symbols that look almost, but not quite, identical. Take the last word on the left door; the last picture in the post above, copied to the right here: Are those two distinct letters? It feels like yes, because of the squiggle at the end of the right symbol.

Second; it is really hard to share my findings and play ball with the rest of you. This is something that is better discussed around a table. I'd like to compile a list of all distinct letters, and see if you agree or disagree. I may start a separate thread with that.

At the least, I would say those are two different symbols. There one on the left is more common in the whole text, but the one on the right does show up a few times next to other symbols.

As for a decoding thread, I think that's a great Idea. Should be able to start one in the Game Threads.

8 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

Much appreciated.

I'm working on the symbols, but two things frustrate me. word1.jpg.7192a4bb4e8b01a6ff360eaa3a9363c8.jpg

First, that there are several symbols that look almost, but not quite, identical. Take the last word on the left door; the last picture in the post above, copied to the right here: Are those two distinct letters? It feels like yes, because of the squiggle at the end of the right symbol.

Second; it is really hard to share my findings and play ball with the rest of you. This is something that is better discussed around a table. I'd like to compile a list of all distinct letters, and see if you agree or disagree. I may start a separate thread with that.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/19410-decoding-journal/

I have to go to bed now, and I'm not sure I'll have time to work on this much during the weekend between actual work and an application with an upcoming deadline, but I'll keep chipping at it.

I've only isolated 16 letters, which I think is a bit low. It's likely there are more and they are just rarer. Please lend me your help and see if you can discover something.

If it's generally agreed that we will not be able to solve the inscription now, I suggest we just do some roleplaying including a long rest, and then we'll continue "tomorrow".