Eye of the Tiger (RP thread for Iron Tiger)

Papa Bear

Eye of the Tiger

An individual RP for Iron Tiger

Jonny pulled up to the curb outside of “Glitz”, the night club de Jour this month.  It would probably be closed next month.  That’s how things often went in Emmy Mours. So far it had been a good night for Jonny. He'd been 'ferrying' party-goers all night, shuffling them from one club, pub or restaurant to another. Friday and Saturday nights in Emmy Mours could often make his whole week in tips and fares.

Jonny had snagged a gig, a good one.  Two rich Heights Bimbo party girls were doing it up but were not going home with anyone and needed a driver to bring them back home.  If he could pour on the charm, he’d probably get a fat tip from them on top of the large cost of the trip itself.

Yep, there they were in their gaudy, naughty dresses from the photo they uploaded so he’d know them when he saw them.  They are talking to a couple of guys outside of Glitz and for a moment Jonny worries that they might cancel and go home with the job-blockers.  But he quickly realized that the guys were creeps… and drunk.  One of the girls started walking away toward Jonny, having seen the car pull up to the curb half a block down. But one of the men reached out and grabbed her arm and whipped her back toward them.

Two averaged size men and one 6’4”er, and big.  It was hard to tell his muscle definition because he and the other two were wearing leather jackets but the larger man stood well, balanced, and Jonny realized he must be an ex-marine (ex because his hair was too long to be currently serving).

"Let go of me!" the girl shouts in a shrill, whinny voice that comes from having rich parents that give her everything she wants... and more. The other girl hits the man with her purse.

"Come on, hawt momma, let's go down to the river and continue the party." The man getting whacked with the purse says as the other two laugh.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

OIP.jpg.37e9046ba53e900e2a9991a847da1feb.jpgJonny Chen
OCV: 6 | DCV: 7 | Stun: 50/50 | Body: 20/20 | End: 40/40 | Conditions: none

Jonny was feeling pretty good about his weekend, one good weekend in the Mours could give him most of the week off and this had been a good weekend. Unless there was something particularly convenient, he would probably call it a night after this run. And then a couple of stupid drunks showed up to complicate things. Parking his Accord with a sigh, Jonny got out and headed for the confrontation. Have to play this just right, too aggressive, it's a challenge, too mild, just another victim. It's good Jonny's not a big guy himself, that would be a challenge all on its own.

"I believe the ladies called for a ride home, not down to the river."

Mechanics

Posted (edited)

"That's our driver." The woman with the purse says possibly recognizing Jonny from his Uber pic, or at the least, playing along. The smallest of the three unhands the woman he had grabbed.

"Yo, why you c@#$-blockin'?" he says, taking a step forward.

"Yeah, we just wanna spend some time with the pretty ladies." The third one says. Getting closer as he had, Jonny can see this one was very smarmy looking. The big marine takes a wide stance and crosses his arms over his chest but doesn't say anything.

Napoleon (the shorter of the three) pipes up again, "why don't you get back in your rice car and go find someone else to drive home."

The marine turns his head toward Napoleon and says, "He's in a Honda. I like Hondas."

"Shaddup, will ya." Napoleon says, glaring sidelong at the marine.

"What's not to like? Reliable, good mileage, not too flashy, not too cheap. Great working cars." Not one to pass up an opening that might get the big guy feeling a bit more mellow and friendly, Jonny's quick to sing the praises of his chosen brand. Certainly doesn't hurt that he believes it and judging from the number of similar cars working for Uber or Lyft or various delivery companies, so do quite a few others. "Anyhow, I'm just here to make sure the ladies get what they want, if they want to go down to the river with you guys, great, but if they want to go home, that's where I'm taking them."

Mechanics

"What they want is to stay with us." Napolean says grabbing the girl again and swinging her behind them.

The girl with the purse starts toward Jonny but is similarly grabbed by Mr. Smarmy. She whacks him with her purse but that only draws a cruel smile to his lips.

"Listen, friend," The big ex-marine says, "There are three of us and one of you. Why don't you just turn around and go find someone else to drive somewhere. These girls are staying with us."

"NO!" The girl in Napoleon's grip shouts and 'takes five across the mouth' for it.

OCV: 6 | DCV: 10 | Stun: 50/50 | Body: 20/20 | End: 40/40 | Conditions: none

"Funny, doesn't sound that way to me." Jonny responds to Napoleon just as the girl shouts "No" and takes a slap for it. Jonny sees red for a second, but takes a deep breath and drops into a more wary stance that should be triggering a warning to the big marine at least, if not his two punk friends. "You like hitting people, you might try one a bit harder to hit."

Mechanics

Yeah, that's an Enrage check. Passed, lucky punks.

Assigning CSL's, +3 DCV, not because he's afraid of these punks at all, but because he wants to make them look like chumps trying to hit him.

Name
Enrage 8-
3d6 1,3,6

Posted (edited)

Jonny makes his intentions clear and the big marine smiles. "You should have run, little man." He says and steps forward to engage.

Ooc

For this battle, Jonny has initiative in each phase he acts. The Marine is a speed of 3 while smarmy and Napoleon are speed 2. For the first turn smarmy and Napoleon will just watch, holding their respective girl, expecting the Marine to make short work of Jonny.

Jonny will get the first phase, the marine gets the next, then Jonny gets to act twice. The marine once again, then it will be segment 12 and both act, Jonny first. Then the post turn recovery. Technically Jonny and the marine should trade blows until the end when Jonny gets two attacks, but for some reason, I like Jonny getting the double-up in the middle.

After the first turn, depending on how it goes, we will see what Napoleon and smarmy do in the next turn.

So, you are up!

OCV: 6 | DCV: 14 | Stun: 50/50 | Body: 20/20 | End: 40/40 | Conditions: none

If he were in his Iron Tiger guise, and facing off against hardened criminals, Jonny would have leaped straight for the biggest target and tried to take him down. But he's still hoping to end this without too much violence and mindful of the fact that "Glitz" almost certainly has security cameras covering the sidewalks. He wants there to be no doubt who swung first. It's not like these punks are much threat, at least, not to him.  He sways forwards, moving almost casually, though anyone with more than the bare minimum of combat training will note careful footwork and the sudden shift that carries him past the big marine and into a spot just past the other two punks. "Sorry, did my cardio this morning, not scheduled for another run today."

Mechanics

Leaving CSL at +0/+3. Using Defense Maneuver (Half Phase, no back shots, no multiple attacker bonusses) and Flying Dodge (+4 DCV, FMove, moving to a point where the thugs will have to turn to face him and hopefully disengage from the girls as they do.)

Posted (edited)

The big Marine takes a shot at Jonny and misses horribly. The marine braces, expecting Jonny to strike at his flank, but the attack doesn't come. There is recognition in the marine's eyes of Jonny's combat prowess. "I ain't had a good fight in a minute." As he turns to face Jonny.

His two thugs move wide, away from Jonny, swinging their respective girls behind them relative to Jonny's new position.

Jonny gets two actions now.

Name
Marine attack roll
3d6 2,5,5

OCV: 8 | DCV: 12 | Stun: 50/50 | Body: 20/20 | End: 38/40 | Conditions: none

"I suppose I can oblige." Jonny shifts his stance ever so slightly and snaps a punch at the big man's body. A quick sidestep and another quick punch to the gut follow up, showing off Jonny's superior speed if nothing else.

Mechanics

Moving CSL to +1/+2. Using Defense Maneuver (Half Phase, no back shots, no multiple attacker bonusses) and Quick Strike (+1/+3 7d6 strike) as a Jab. Hits DCV 6, could be iffy if the big guy has some skills and/or is being cautious but probably hits unless he Dodges. Normal damage, 25 Stun, 7 Body.

Phase 2: Same CSL, another Quick strike. Hit DCV 5, Normal Damage 31 Stun, 9 Body

Name
Quick Strike
3d6 4,5,4
Quick Strike damage
7d6 2,6,4,6,3,1,3
Quick Strike 2
3d6 5,6,3
Quick Strike 2 Damage
7d6 6,4,5,1,3,6,6

Posted (edited)

11 + your current OCV of +8 = 19- his DCV of 5 = 14-

You hit with both attacks doing a total of 25+31=56 minus his defenses... he is looking pretty woozy.

Jonny's combo strikes hit hard, hard enough to knock the breath out of the big marine and staggers him. The big man takes a swipe at Jonny again. Its a careful strike, but Jonny is defending himself well and just ducks under the punch.

That 12 DCV is insane. It fits under the cap because of your maneuvers and CSLs. Its a good thing too, this guy can hit hard.

Anyway, we are now in Segment 12. You get to Attack, then him, then post turn recovery... not that you need it... he does. A good whollop on him could put him down this turn.

Name
Marine Swings at Jonny at 5-
3d6 4,3,1

Slight correction, I've been editing his stat block in the post to include the CSL/Maneuver bonuses, so the +8 is his actual OCV in the round. So actually 14-, but that's still two hits. I think going forward, I'll just leave the base numbers up there and put the round adjusted numbers in the mechanics block, probably easier and less confusing. I believe his attack still misses though, he'd need an OCV of 9 to hit with that roll.

OCV: 6 | DCV: 7 | Stun: 50/50 | Body: 20/20 | End: 37/40 | Conditions: none

"Not so good a fight, I think, ah well." Jonny sounds almost regretful as he spins into a quick snap kick. "I'm thinking you should walk away while you still can," he adds, striking an obviously martial pose for the first time. Maybe a bit too obvious really, it owes as much to Hong Kong action movies as his actual training, but he's hoping to get the thugs to back off before he has to hang around explaining three unconscious drunks to the cops.

Mechanics

CSL: adjusting (+2/+1) Quick Strike (+1/+3) OCV 9 DCV 11 Defense Maneuver as before.

Attempting Presence attack. 3d6 base, -1d6 for in combat. Probably at least +1d6 for violent action, I'll let you decide any further mods and make the roll.

Name
Quick strike OCV 9
3d6 3,4,3
Quick Strike damage
7d6 6,1,5,2,5,5,4

No, that hits... what correction? My calculations came up with 14- too. Anyway, your OCV is higher than his DCV so you hit with a roll of 10. (9 OCV - 5 DCV = +4, 11 +4 = 15- to hit. you rocked him and he falls flat on his face. His two buddies unhand the women and take off running in opposite directions.

The ladies stand there in shock, mouths agape, staring at Jonny.

Jonny watches for a moment as the two creeps flee, satisfied that neither seems to be just retreating before pulling a gun or some such nonsense (not really expected outside 'Glitz', but you never know) he turns to the two girls. "Drunks, can't fight worth a darn and always eager to prove it. You two OK?" He looks down at the big guy on the sidewalk with visible annoyance. "Probably going to have to get club security out here to take care of this guy, kinda surprised they haven't showed up yet. They might want me to stick around to make a statement to the cops, if they do, you'll probably want to call for another driver." Jonny sounds quite casual about the potential to change plans, but inside he's seething a bit about the lost money. He's had a good weekend, certainly enough to keep him from living on cheap dried ramen, but it could have been good enough to get him a bit of extra time for Iron Tiger to go looking for trouble, maybe find out who's been knocking over so many corner stores lately. Or find out who's behind a particularly nasty batch of synthetic heroin that's started making the rounds. Or a hundred other things going on and that's just the stuff he's heard about. There's just never enough time, between working, training and sleeping, he just can't seem to get much done on the streets, not to mention the complete lack of a social life.

Mechanics