HEROIX.com (RP thread for The Fluke)

Papa Bear

HEROIX.com

An individual RP thread for The Fluke

Komani White, a young black woman living in Drayden Flats had contacted Charles through his HEROIX ™ app. She had given an address of a ‘gang house’ where a super strong gang member also lived. Under the protection of the Super’s great strength and toughness, the police had given up even policing the area within half a dozen blocks of the house.

Drayden Flats had earned its reputation. Every window was barred, every door had a security door over it. Trash filled the street with thugs hanging around on every block sitting on stoops or harassing good people trying to get into the corner shop.  Loud music played everywhere, thumping loudly and most certainly had to be breaking the noise ordnance.  Every house… every house, needed a fresh coat of paint.  Wood sidings were starting to rot in places, plaster, tile, and brick siding had chunks chipped away and missing.  The lawns, at best, were splotched with dried, dead grass if not outright bare dirt.  Every so often, gunshots could be heard from somewhere.

Prostitutes could be found hanging around the stores that didn’t have thugs hanging around them.  These poor ladies were the dregs of ‘the industry’.  Too cracked up and methed out to be any kind of attractive, but willing to do just about anything for a few bucks so they could get their next fix.

There was probably a dead junkie just down the street who had probably overdosed earlier in the day… or heck, earlier in the week.  Just laying in the street.  Charles’ heart went out when he’d seen half a dozen people just go around or step over the dead man.  He hoped that at some point he’d see the junkie wake up or something but that just hadn’t happened.

He was there observing the house that Ms. White had sent pictures and the address.  It was no different from any of the other houses in the neighborhood except that it had four different automobiles parked around it, two in the driveway, one on what was probably once a lawn, and one on the street.  He had caught a glimpse of the super thug inside the house. Charles recognized the man from the picture Ms. White had sent.  There were at least 4 other thugs in the house that he had seen, but only the picture of Rodrigo “Brown Samson” Hernandez had been sent.

Charles had been able to go (mostly) unseen by the various residents, which were mainly Puerto Ricans in this particular area.  People didn’t brave the streets at night in Drayden Flats, if they could avoid it and those that did, quickly crossed the street when the laid eyes on a group of thugs and the couple of times Charles had been seen.

What was he going to do? Rodrigo was in his home and nothing he could see seemed to indicate Brown Samson was doing anything wrong, at least at the moment.  But Komani White had contacted him to do something about the threat, and Charles knew Brown Samson was a threat because Komani had included two short videos of Rodrigo flipping over a car into someone’s house and of him threatening two people on the street, telling them they were past due and catching one of them by the forearm and snapping it, then laughing.

"Comms check...check, check. Can you hear me? check."

"Yes, Charles I can hear you.", said the voice of his exasperated assistant/COO Victoria Swanson through the tiny earbud in Charles' ear.

"You're coming in nice and clear. These new earbuds are great."

"So, what's your situation? Is this legit?"

"Yea, it's legit. I have a confirmed superpowered being in the address that was given."

"Well, what's he doing?"

Charles sighs heavily into the almost invisible microphone attached to his collar. "That's just it. He's not doing anything." he says as he raises his head over the small wall that encircles the roof of the Hungry Mart just down the street from the house of "Brown Samson" and verifies that indeed nothing is happening. "I can't just barge in there, right? Legally speaking?"

"My understanding from Legal is that vigilantism is tacitly accepted by law enforcement and the DA's office when stopping an actual crime in progress. Kicking in the door of a citizen and dispensing justice is more of a 'legal grey area'. although he couldn't see her, he knew she was making air quotes with her fingers around that last part.

"Even with the videos the Heroix user sent? This dude is a bad guy! Even the cops won't come around here because they're scared of him."

"Charles, you know as well as I that videos can be manipulated and edited to show whatever the uploader wants. This Komani White might have some axe to grind and is trying to use you to get to this 'Brown Samson'.

"You don't really believe that, do you?"

She pauses before answering. "No, I think this guy is a bad guy and should be taken down. But my feelings don't give you the right to do whatever you want."

Charles sighs again, fiddling with a broken piece of glass laying against the half wall. "I'm not gonna sit here all night. I saw something earlier and I'm gonna go check it out. I'll buzz back if anything happens. Fluke out.", he says and breaks the connection. He half stands and crouch walks towards the back of the building. He jumps from the roof into the dirty alley behind the store and walks out towards the street.

The man was still laying in the street and had not moved at all since Charles had seen him last. Bending down, he puts his hand to the man's neck to check for a pulse.

When Charles touches the man's neck to check for a pulse, he immediately can tell that the man's neck was broken! With only cursory investigation, he can see bruises around the neck. The man didn't fall, he was killed.

Charles rolls the man over and looks at the bruises on the neck 'Could be a coincidence that this man has a broken neck right down the street from Samson, but I doubt it.' Pulling out his phone, he dials 911.

'911, what's your emergency?'

"Hi, I'm on Fleet St. in Drayden Flats and there's a dead man just laying in the middle of the street. I need EMS and Police here right away.", he starts searching through the man's pockets for a wallet or an ID of some kind.

Edited by RagallachMC (see edit history)

As Charles checks for ID, he hears a voice behind him even as the 911 operator asks for the address or cross street. "Like my handiwork?"

When Charles turns around, he sees Brown Samson walking up the street towards him. He is still 20 meters away. Samson has a thuggish scowl on his face. "Twelve bucks. Barely worthy time."

The Fluke holds up a finger to quiet the approaching Samson and points at his phone, "Fleet and Oswald, near the Hungry Mart. Better send two ambulances. Make sure the other one is Extra Large." He says the last loudly and then hangs up the phone and sticks it back in its pouch. He stands and pulls the throwing ring off of his chest.

"Let's do this."

OOC: Since this is my first combat in Hero System in 20+ years, I might need some hand holding until I get the hang of it. Be Gentle 😅

Posted (edited)

Heheh :D

OK, Combat is fairly simple. As opposed to finding out what you remember or don't, I'm just going to give a basic overview of combat.

The 'new' description for rolling attacks I think is more difficult than the original but it works out EXACTLY the same. SO for me, I'll use the original system but can explain the 'new' way if you like.

Add your OCV to 11. Then subtract the DCV of the target. This will produce a number that you have to roll equal or less on 3d6.

You have some Martial Maneuvers that add benefits or penalties to your OCV and/or your DCV plus adding a special effect like Knockdown or extra damage. You may choose any half phase action to perform or just make a flat attack.

in your case, you have a VERY high OCV (two above the cap... but I allowed it because you do relatively low damage and I consider that a "Trade-off" like M&M uses and I'm OK with that)

So, continuing on, your OCV on a basic attack (either a normal punch or throwing one of your disks) is 10 +11 = 21- (21 or less). Your target (Samson) has a DCV of 5. 21-5 = 16- (Sixteen or less) so you really have to roll badly to miss.

Once you determine success, you roll the damage dice (in a normal punch or disk attack for you, that would be 3d6 and subtract the target's appropriate defense (Physical defense or Energy Defense).

Brown Samson has a speed of two (normal human), which means he acts of Segments 6 and 12. You have a speed of 4 (required by that cruel GM) and get to act on Segments 3, 6, 9, and 12. Your DEX is 18 so you have a higher DEX so on Segments 6 and 12 when you both act, you have initiative because your DEX is higher. Therefore, you get to attack twice to every attack he makes.

So, go ahead and make your two attacks.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Papa Bear said:

Once you determine success, you roll the damage dice (in a normal punch or disk attack for you, that would be 3d6 and subtract the target's appropriate defense (Physical defense or Energy Defense).

Actually I increased disk damage and decreased H2H damage. It's 6d6 with discs and 2d6 H2H.

Also, you said he was 20m away, which would be a -4 modifier, right?

and drawing a weapon and attacking are both 1/2 phase actions? I could throw, draw & throw as two attacks?

There's rules for ricochet attacks on pg. 145 of Champions Complete, but what about Capt America style bouncing an attack to recover the weapon? Can I use Luck to do that?

You can only make one attack a phase even though they are only a half phase actions. Of course you currently have two attacks against this target.

As to the bounce recovery, there are probably rules that cover it as you mentioned but I am at work with no access to my books. However you did not buy the disks power with charges so therefore you basically have unlimited "shots" (though limited by you END) so we can easily just describe the special effect is you do bounce them back to you... Mayb even that magnetic effect cap used from a later movie to assist the disks returning and a combination there-of.

Finally, the damage is much more respectable with those disks. The CV cap is 8 so you should drop that (if that isn't already where you got the points. It would be appropriate for an athlete like you to have a 6d6 punch too but not necessary. If you have the points, even dropping the disks to 5d6 to make it fit, points wise and add armor piercing. It is only a quarter advantage so you should be able to squeeze in the 6d6 damage.

Since you are throwing them, you could maybe add reduced by range which decreases damage the farther you have to throw them

The Fluke leaps into the air executing a twisting spin and releasing his disc with terrific force at the apex of the twist. The disc slams into Samson with a loud THUNK!. The disc bounces back at terrific speed back into The Fluke's hand. He executes another spin, this time crouching as he spins and hurls the disc again, smashing it into Samson again with another loud THUNK!. The disc bounces off Samson, then off a car parked on the street and flies back into The Fluke's hand.

"You're done terrorizing this neighborhood, Samson! Save yourself some humiliation and surrender now!"

END: 34/40

Name
Disc Attack
3d6 5,5,3
Disc Damage
6d6 4,5,3,6,1,4
Disc Attack 2
3d6 6,2,1
Disc Damage
6d6 1,3,3,2,5,1

Posted (edited)

The first disk seems to knock him back a step but the second seems not to phase him. H g ins broadly and steps up to swing at the Fluke, making contact, slamming an iron hard fist into Charles.

Fluke takes 25 damage - 19 PD for 6 stun damage and sending The Fluke flying back 2 meters. There is nothing to hit so you are OK.

You have two attacks again.

Name
Attacking The Fluke
3d6 2,3,1
Damage
8d6 3,3,6,1,1,3,4,4
Potential Knockback
2d6 4,1

The Fluke turns the backwards momentum from Samson's punch into a roll and comes up with his disc in hand. He hits hard, I'll give him that.

Leaping forward, he hurls the disk underhand and strikes Samson again. As soon as the disc leaves his hand he leaps forward and swings a fist at the huge man, landing a solid hit into the man's midsection.

END: 29/40

STUN: 34/40

Name
Disk Attack
3d6 2,6,4
Disc Damage
6d6 5,6,1,4,1,2
Punch Attack
3d6 1,3,6
Punch Damage
5d6 3,3,1,6,3

Posted (edited)

Samson is staggering now... one more strike ought to do it. After his combo, the Fluke stands... but should have rolled back and Brown Samson punches him again, square in the chest. Feeling the lights going out, Samson puts everything he has left into the punch and sends The Fluke flying backwards 6 meters! The Fluke crashes into a parked car but his natural toughness and body suit absorb the impact.

Half expecting Samson to be charging at him, Charles quickly rolls away but sees that Samson is just standing there, drooling. He's barely standing. Looking around through bleary eyes, Charles sees several people in the neighborhood now peeking out windows and doors at the action.

Holy moly, another hit! Samson is kryptonite for the Fluke. Good thing you've all but wholloped him into next week.

Ye-ouch. 37 damage - 19 PD means Fluke suffers 18 stun and since that's more than his 14 CON, he is stunned. The rules say you need to expend a full phase to overcome being stunned but since this is the end of the turn, you can use your post turn recovery to recover from being stunned (but gain no recovery points to Stun or END)

You have two actions again before Samson gets to attack. So, you can recover, burn the phase to overcome being stunned, and still make an attack (which honestly, unless you roll garbage damage will KO Samson, he's got 2 Stun left with 10 PD)

Name
Samson Attacks
3d6 3,1,1
Punch damage
8d6 2,6,6,3,5,6,4,5
Possible Knockback
2d6 4,1

Lifting himself onto his hands and knees, The Fluke shakes his head to clear the stars from his vision. Looking up, he sees the silhouettes of people in some of the windows and doorways. Gotta get up! Gotta finish this! Can't fail all of them!

The Fluke stands up shakily, snapping another disc off his belt. He winds up for a finishing shot and releases, but the shot goes wide and misses the big man completely. Tsk'ing in frustration, he looks down at his hands. Where's the luck?!

He squares his shoulders and moves forward, cocking his fist to deliver what he hopes is the final blow. He jumps up and smashes a fist into Samson's face.

END: 24/40

STUN: 16/40

Name
Disc Attack
3d6 6,6,6
Luck Roll (Gimme dem sixes!)
7d6 4,2,4,2,3,4,2
Fist Attack
3d6 2,1,6
Fist attack damage
5d6 5,1,3,5,4