Nightmares (RP Thread for The Shriek)

Papa Bear

Then man is terrified but apparently clueless as to his sins. "What sins? What I do wrong?" He cries out. "I done got out of the gang life." He says, trembling.

depends on what insight you are trying to gain. The skill list in champions is far larger than D&D 5e and Pathfinder. 5e especially boiled down the skills to be more broad in scope.

Analyze will help you determine a characters competency and abilities

Conversation can help you determine their intentions and feelings

Deduction can help you figure things out, put clues together (and can often be a secondary check for one of the other checks)

and of course KS and PS skills in Psychology can help you understand who a person 'is'.

So, really, it depends on what you are 'fishing for' with an 'insight' roll.

The Shriek

E_WKSkvWYAQGOX1.jpg:large---OOC---

OOC

Sheet

For determining Intentions and Feelings in this case, like seeing if someone is lying. I do figure with a fast pumping heart the classic comic trope of listening to heartbeats to figure out lies isn't going to be a big winner. Kinda figured. Just figured this would be a good chance to practice some rolls. There's got to be a way to tag it to check the total. Conversation 14-

Edited by GleefulNihilism (see edit history)
Name
Conversation
3S, 0F
success(3d6,above,no,no) 1,5,4

Posted (edited)

You keep posting this for your roll

success(3d6,above,no,no)

what is that supposed to mean?

Just post 3d6 in the roll

We'll calculate the chance ourselves. I just need to see the 3d6 roll

BTW, I'll be giving you a +2 bonus for your super hearing for the comic trope, if nothing else as pulse is used to help determine lies.

So you'll need a 16-

Your roll shows 1, 5 and 4 (10) so that would be a success.

I don't know what 3S, 0F means

OH, it means 3 Successes and no failures... but that's now how the system works... plus, rolling a 1 should at least be 1 failure and Champions skill checks you want to roll low, so the code should probably be 'below'... regardless, that die string doesn't work for champions. Just a straight 3d6 please.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

The Shriek

OOC

Sheet

Yeah, that's not supposed to happen. I want it to check the total against the number, not the individual dice. But yeah, basically this is to see if the guy is telling the truth about trying to turn a new leaf and he at least quit the gang life.

OOC: To determine things in conversation means spending time talking to them about said topic, probably not Shriek's forte. Still, you can learn stuff from what the man has said. He doesn't seem to believe he's done anything wrong and yes, he seems to be telling the truth about leaving the gang life. It is possible, maybe even likely, that his life in the gangs has skewed his opinions on what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'. It is possible that if he grew up in Drayden Flats (well, possibly anyway, but especially in Drayden Flats) that he really wasn't raised by parents but by a gang. The problem with that theory is that if he were basically raised by a gang, he'd likely consider the gang family and really would not have a desire to leave the gang. This poses a dichotomy for how one can exist with the other. He could also be a sociopath, which could explain his lack of understanding between the concepts of right and wrong. However, he seems to be in a relationship with the woman, mother of the child. Sociopaths will 'conform' to social norms, if only to not stand out.

what all this means is unclear. Yes, he believes he hasn't done anything wrong. Yes, he seems to be telling the truth about leaving the gang life and yes, Sergio is certain he physically abuses that little boy and the woman.

The Shriek

E_WKSkvWYAQGOX1.jpg:largeGranted, the heartbeat is thundering away so it's possible that the twitches don't mean anything but - he's telling the truth. He quite the gang life, but doesn't even understand what he did wrong. He doesn't even...

The Stealth drops then, now he's just walking. It looks like he's doing it calmly, just the half-head cover and intent. He wants to be seen now, as he breathes deep. A moment, to play another one of his sound games.

~~~~~

"Shut that kid of yours up! I can't hear myself think"

A slap followed by a loud thud.

~~~~~

"Sound Familiar?" he asks, and he doesn't wait for an answer. Just lets out a breath and opens up with a Battering Ram of Sound aimed right for the torso, then running forward to get more physical whether he hits or misses.

OOC

Sheet
Alright, that's even worse. Going to roll the whole Enraged/Berserk thing to see how far out he goes. Rest of post will be edited in.

11, then 11. Looks like we're about to see a bit of the Demon come out.

Edited by GleefulNihilism (see edit history)
Name
Enraged (8-) then Beserk (14-)
11; 11
3d6;3d6 [1,6,4]; [1,6,4,5,3,3]

yay, those dice work :)

Um... If i don't respond to this by friday, please nudge me. I'll probably forget you started a post as I saw it while you were editing in the results of your Enraged. I'm going to bed now so I have a good chance of forgetting since the 'new post' will not show any more.

Will need an attack roll for the sonic attack, and since you have a speed of 4 and he only has a speed of 2 so you actually get to make both attacks in a row, the sonic attack then the charge attack, whatever you wish that to be (the killing attack since you are enraged?)

oh, and good call with the extra post to remind me :)

The Shriek

OOC

Sheet
Yeah, I’m thinking that with those rolls Sergio hasn’t gone *completely* berserk so he doesn’t have to kill the guy - but this is gonna get ugly. Open with sonic attack, follow up with fists. Maybe the vibro-punches if the guy doesn’t stop moving.

Name
Sonic Attack then Fists
9; 9
3d6;3d6 [3,5,1]; [3,5,1,2,1,6]

The Shriek

OOC

Sheet
Alright. Sonic Blast is 6d6, Fisticuffs is another 2 1/2 d6. I figure he does still have enough self-control that he'd stop before killing the guy, so I'm thinking just rolling 9 and we remember that the last one is a half-die instead.

Name
Damage - 8 1/2 d6 total
9d6 1,2,4,4,4,6,2,1,1

Actually, each attack's damage is a separate roll and applied individually against his defenses. He has no mental defenses so all 6d6 (21) goes straight through. He is practically KOed by that (25 stun) so the punch doesn't quite finish him off. I have to say, for damage, that was very underwhelming... Would have been great attack rolls though. He has 4 PD so absorbs all of Shriek's punch and has 4 stun left.

The man grabs his head. He has never experienced a migraine headache like this. He takes The Shriek's punch and , still holding his head, cries out "Why?"

He doesn't try to attack, he just cries out "why" as if he thinks smacking a child and/or wife is appropriate.

You have two attacks again. Because you are enraged, I believe you need to keep punching the guy... But thankfully you don't do a ton of damage with your punches so you won't kill him (accidentally)