Ye Olde Tavern

Eric

11 minutes ago, Eric said:

You aren't bound by the rolls, so fear not! 😀

Are you referring to the ability to move some points around or are you saying I can toss the rolls and pick my stats?

Also the die roller wants to kill me. It rolled a 1 , a 4 and a 2 for hit points. With current stats that gives him 5 hit points at 3rd level. Please don't sneeze in his direction. 😉

2 minutes ago, Draidden said:

Are you referring to the ability to move some points around or are you saying I can toss the rolls and pick my stats?

Also the die roller wants to kill me. It rolled a 1 , a 4 and a 2 for hit points. With current stats that gives him 5 hit points at 3rd level. Please don't sneeze in his direction. 😉

From the advertisement:

• In lieu of rolling 3d6 six times in order, you may choose the ability scores that you feel best represent your character and make for a fun and fair adventure for you and the rest of the group.

3 minutes ago, Draidden said:

Oh lord... don't get a splinter in a finger.

Okay. Then is would be my preferred stats, for your approval,

Str: 13

Int: 16

Wis: 14

Dex: 16

Con: 13

Cha: 10

and that would give him 10 hit points with the rolls I made. Better, but still below half.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

Okay, question about known spells.

Is there a way I can either buy scrolls to transfer the spells into my spellbook, or we figure out some way for him to have gained a couple extra 1st level spells?

Per the rules he will only get 2 1st level and 1 2nd level. I was going to go with Magic Missile and Sleep, but would also like him to have some of what I consider basic must have spells for a spell caster. Like Detect Magic and Read Magic. Also would like to have Read Languages.

It says he I find a spell scroll I can choose to copy it into my spellbook. So was wondering if there is some way we can work out him having "found" them by way of paying for them.

So far I have only spent 503 gp so have plenty left.

Will have to go read up on hirelings as it has been a long time and I personally have not used them in a very long time, if ever. Can't even remember using them.

23 minutes ago, Draidden said:

Is there a way I can either buy scrolls to transfer the spells into my spellbook, or we figure out some way for him to have gained a couple extra 1st level spells?

Definitely makes sense. Instead of choosing a magic item, you could have 5 spells of your choice to add to your book; or, I can choose 5 spells at random instead of a random magic item. Whichever way works better for your design.

Okay. I guess I will take the 5 spells instead of a magic item and then see what gift you bestow upon him if he makes it into the game.

Good to see some characters coming together. The module is designed for a group of 6-10 characters, and we have 7 potential players now, so we're right in the zone for a good time. If you have any questions about character options or design, feel free to ping me here or in your personal thread.

While there is some seafaring required at the beginning and end of the adventure (to/from the island), no character is required to be a sailor by background. Options for acquiring transport include:

• You could buy or take a loan for a small ship (5,000gp), and hire a crew
  • You could hire a ship for passage (2,500gp, plus expenses)
  • You could be hired by a merchant to explore the island (payment terms to be negotiated)
  • You could agree to be shipwrecked on the island (an epic challenge!)

I'm still interested. I bought some of the Gazetteers and have been reading them for inspiration. I still haven't decided between a human fighter or human cleric though am leaning a bit more toward the cleric.

The module does suggest that the party include at least one cleric and at least one magic-user/elf. So depending on whether Modric, Bobcloclimar, or Chardastes are interested in playing a cleric, I might nudge your lean 😀

15 hours ago, Eric said:

Good to see some characters coming together. The module is designed for a group of 6-10 characters, and we have 7 potential players now, so we're right in the zone for a good time. If you have any questions about character options or design, feel free to ping me here or in your personal thread.

While there is some seafaring required at the beginning and end of the adventure (to/from the island), no character is required to be a sailor by background. Options for acquiring transport include:

• You could buy or take a loan for a small ship (5,000gp), and hire a crew
  • You could hire a ship for passage (2,500gp, plus expenses)
  • You could be hired by a merchant to explore the island (payment terms to be negotiated)
  • You could agree to be shipwrecked on the island (an epic challenge!)

Personally I like the shipwrecked option as long as we get to keep our equipment. My mind is going in the direction of we were hired by a merchant, but a storm hits and we are stranded after the ship crashed into a reef and partially sank. We were able to get our horses and equipment out. Perhaps the crew is working on trying to repair the ship and free it of the reef while we go exploring? Would give us a base to retreat to if needed, but at the same time, not give us access to extra supplies.

Just a thought.

14 hours ago, Mindcrime said:

I'm still interested. I bought some of the Gazetteers and have been reading them for inspiration. I still haven't decided between a human fighter or human cleric though am leaning a bit more toward the cleric.

I plead for you to go cleric. With at least two of the characters having fairly low hit points, we are going to need a cleric. 😉

I am working on a background. For the most part I have him basically wandering the world for the last 100 years of his life. He has been a sailor on occasion to help pay his passage to a new location.

My question is are we going to be a party that has been adventuring together for a while or have we just met each other for this job?

I lean towards having worked together for at least a month or more so we know each other and what we can do and have gotten past the awkward stage of getting to know and trust each other.