General OOC

Welcome all.

I'll be taking a finer look at your crunch over the next few days. I'll get something up for you all to play with soon, regardless.

Feel free to say hello or ask questions here. Now that we have a party together, any last minute class changes are fair game as well. As mentioned, party composition isn't that important to me. We did not get a ton of pure martial apps, but a lot of you guys have a melee focus.

First post is up all, go ahead and get your feet wet, start some banter. Interact with anything I've laid out or make up your own props/people. Let's create something awesome together. :)

If there was a lingering decision about your magic item, I will try to have that settled in the morning. I might try to move all your applications to a special topic here you can continue to use for updates and such.

That's the general idea, yes. Yahs and yourself have been in the city a few days already, attempting to recruit new cadets with corny pamphlets...having extremely limited success. Your assignment was to eventually meet up with merc Captain Sartell though, Flapjack is part of her crew. Her spelljamming ship is out in the harbor, but of course it just looks like a normal galleon to most people.

I'll probably hold off posting today to give some time for all to check in. I had some responsibilities after work today, so getting in unusually late. :)

Just, ah, mentioning that thri-kreen telepathy is one-way communication, I think. Unless someone speaks to him, or has their own way of transmitting telepathic messages, Steve can’t hear anyone else’s thoughts. He would be speaking common, but, well, he can’t speak.

I think Thom and Steve are going to have a lot of inside jokes between them with their telepathic abilities. I could see them just chuckling to themselves most of the time.

Loving what I'm seeing so far! Consider yourselves all armed with 1 charge of Inspiration for the unfolding adventure.

...and no, I haven't given your game statistics and magic items a closer look yet. However, that sounds like an excellent companion to my Saturday morning coffee.

@KingGoblin Indeed. Essentially, you can choose who hears you, and they will. Unless they block it (action-less) or fail to have at least one language listed in their stat block. If @JubalBreakbottle is ok with it, we can retcon that was an out-loud inquiry similar to Yahs' followup.

7 hours ago, Cointhief said:

@KingGoblin Indeed. Essentially, you can choose who hears you, and they will. Unless they block it (action-less) or fail to have at least one language listed in their stat block. If @JubalBreakbottle is ok with it, we can retcon that was an out-loud inquiry similar to Yahs' followup.

I'm confused. Thri-kreen telepathy is send and receive. Where's the comment from KingGoblin that is indeed?

Celsior would not have replied out-loud like that without knowing who he was speaking to.

Just delete the post if there's a retcon

I'm hitting a long road to a funeral this weekend and may only post sparsely.

16 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Just, ah, mentioning that thri-kreen telepathy is one-way communication, I think. Unless someone speaks to him, or has their own way of transmitting telepathic messages, Steve can’t hear anyone else’s thoughts. He would be speaking common, but, well, he can’t speak.

@JubalBreakbottle

Yahs seems to place picked up the conversation thread instead, so I'm happy to assume Celsior said nothing out loud

Thri-keen telepathy 

Without the assistance of magic, you can’t speak the non-thri-kreen languages you know. Instead you use telepathy to convey your thoughts. You have the magical ability to transmit your thoughts mentally to willing creatures within 120 feet of yourself. A contacted creature doesn’t need to share a language with you to understand your thoughts, but it must be able to understand at least one language. Your telepathic link to a creature is broken if you and the creature move more than 120 feet apart, if either of you is incapacitated, or if either of you mentally breaks the contact (no action required).

Telepathic feat

You can speak telepathically to any creature you can see within 60 feet of you. Your telepathic utterances are in a language you know, and the creature understands you only if it knows that language. Your communication doesn't give the creature the ability to respond to you telepathically.

Aberrant Sourcerer

Starting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

Hmm - pretty ambiguous I'd say. There's equivalent features that call out specifically one way and specifically two way communication , so not clear which is the default. GOO Warlock doesn't say either way. Transmit your thoughts to me implies one way I'd say

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

As you wish.

"...Your telepathic link to a creature is broken if you and the creature move more than 120 feet apart, if either of you is incapacitated, or if either of you mentally breaks the contact (no action required). " This reads to me that their telepathy is two-way, because of the "link"

Steve repeated many of the things that Celsior said aloud about the academy and cults, so I assumed Steve was speaking to Celsior who replied telepathically. I'm playing Celsior that this is not the first telepathic conversation that he has had in 100 years, but in a crowded in tavern, it would not be clear who is sending.

If that doesn't work, then I'll delete.

Yeah, that phrasing is what initially put me towards two way, then I reconsidered it as a link that was just designed to limit the range of the Thri-keen telepathy (though again, I'm not sure exactly why it needs to be described as a link to limit that range - saying "within 120 ft they can transmit their thoughts" seems equally functional, and clearer if it's intended as solely one way).

Though maybe it's to imply that the thoughts are transmitted to a single person rather than broadcast, which I guess raises why yahs would have heard to respond.

Anyway, all I can definitely say is the telepathy rules are written inconsistently and poorly, and in the grand scheme of things with this being just an opening scene, it probably doesn't matter (but would be good to clarify for future)