Xander Vargas - Goblin Bard

luctius

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -- Helen Keller, The Open Door

spacer.pngXander, Goblin Bard
Sixteen, small body, green skin, red fiery eyes, large ears, wild hair, traveling clothes.

Xander, with his wild curls and mischievous grin, is the kind of student who always seems to be at the center of some sort of chaos. Xander thrives on adventure, and storytelling, and is never one to shy away from breaking the rules or stirring up trouble. Quick-witted and sharp-tongued, he fancies himself as an investigative journalist when he grows up, and he is never far from his pencil and pocketbook, writing ideas and rumours for his school's paper. He is rather small and lithe about 1.65m and with unkempt dark curly hair.

goblin_bard.png.89f82316286b722570f0d315564a08e7.png

As a goblin, Xander also small and lithe with dark wild hair, dark, green skin and large ears. His movements seem more deliberate, almost graceful. Though his diminutive statue is easily overlooked, Xander uses his sharp-tongue to distract his enemies and inspire his friends.

Level: 1 XP: 0

Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 15 (+1)
Constitution 12 (+0)
Intelligence 9 (0)
Wisdom 13 (+1)
Charisma 16 (+2)

HPs6 (Bard) + 12 (Constitution: 18/18
Armor1 (Leather Armour): 1
DamageDueling Rapier (Precise): 1d6 (precise)

Race: Goblin - When you use Arcane Arts to increase the next time someone successfully assists your target, the bonus is increased to a +3.
Alignment: ChaoticSpur others to significant and unplanned decisive action.

Bard Moves:
- Arcane ArtsArcane Art
When you weave a performance into a basic spell, choose an ally and an effect:
• Heal 1d8 damage
• +1d4 forward to damage
• Their mind is shaken clear of one enchantment
• The next time someone successfully assists the target with aid, they get +3 (was +2) instead of +1

Then roll+Cha.
✴On a 10+, the ally gets the selected effect.
✴On a 7-9, your spell still works, but you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

- Bardic LoreWhen you first encounter an important creature, location, or item (your call) covered by your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully. The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in. (Legends of Heroes Past)
- Charming and OpenWhen you speak frankly with someone, you can ask their player a question from the list below. They must answer it truthfully, then they may ask you a question from the list (which you must answer truthfully).
• Whom do you serve?
• What do you wish I would do?
• How can I get you to ______?
• What are you really feeling right now?
• What do you most desire?

- A Port in the StormWhen you return to a civilized settlement you’ve visited before, tell the GM when you were last here. They’ll tell you how it’s changed since then.

Bonds: TBD

Edited by luctius (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Gear: (Load = 5 / 8)

• A well-worn book of poems and stories that is barely legible.
  • 5 Dungeon Rations (1 weight)
  • Leather Armour (1 armour, 1 weight)
  • Dueling rapier (Close, Precise, 2 weight)
  • Adventuring Gear (1 weight)

Posted (edited)

How did Xander know whom?

• Madison purposefully avoiding Xander, because of his paper.
  • Fancying himself as an journalist, Xander has done an interview with Ariana for the school paper, and he even drops by fairly regularly to inform her of the latest comings and goings. Additionally, he is beginning to develop a crush for her.
  • Xander and Fred collaborated on a story in the school paper where Fred explained and demonstrated how the school's measures for certain locks and computer security were laughably flimsy and that was a serious problem for student privacy & academic integrity. However, the story was less well received by the school's administration.

Welcome to the game forum! When the application period closes, I'll give all the applications a good looking at to make sure they all work well together. But for now, here are a few quick notes:

• Make her 16. Only NPCs are younger than 16. I know it is a bit arbitrary, but 16 feels better to me.
  • I like the Goblin racial move, no problem.
  • Regarding Bardic Lore and A Port in the Storm, we'll have to play these by ear a bit, since this is a D&D Cartoon style game and everything in the world is brand new; you've never been anywhere. We have two options here: 1) she could be some sort of fantasy nerd, nerd-troping her way through the world.

"How did you know the giant spiders would be afraid of fire?

Don't you read? Giant spiders are afraid of fire in like every fantasy novel I've ever read."

• Or 2) maybe she gets magical flashes of insight to just know things. Do you have a preference?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Caystodd said:

Make her 16. Only NPCs are younger than 16. I know it is a bit arbitrary, but 16 feels better to me.

Check, fixed.

4 minutes ago, Caystodd said:

Regarding Bardic Lore and A Port in the Storm, we'll have to play these by ear a bit, since this is a D&D Cartoon style game and everything in the world is brand new; you've never been anywhere. We have two options here:

I'd say option one fits best here, possibly using her book of poems and stories as a source. (Which I pilfered from the Goblin Playbook)

Sounds good. You are all set.

Are you on Discord? If you are and would like to be a part of the pre-game group DM for potential players, find me on the MW discord and send me a friend request (@caystodd) and I'll add you.