Poul Anderson's THE HIGH CRUSADE

This wonderfully speculative novel from 1960 is listed by name within the semi-famous "Appendix N" by Gary Gygax. It is both an alternate medieval history as well as a space-invader science fiction.

Apparently, in 1983, TSR also adapted this book into its own boardgame!

I know I have read other comments praising the other two novels by Poul Anderson included in the Gygaxian appendix, Three Hearts and Three Lions and The Broken Sword, but so far, The High Crusade is the only writing by this author that I claim the pleasure of reading. I read it only once several years ago, but still remember how much I enjoyed it and my reasons. The book is lots of fun, with humor on every page, yet the plot is treated seriously enough to make you want to believe it all could be plausible.

Anybody else read this book and have a comment? Does anyone know what the boardgame was like or actually play it? Who is out there that has read "Appendix N" and something by every author on the list?

Read it in highschool, before DnD was published.

It was amusing. I can't remember for certain, isn't it the one where an alien invasion incoming towards earth is defeated by a billion ball bearings? Or am I remembering a similar book about earth defeating a superior technology?

Friend of mine lent me The High Crusade in college, fun book! Think of that story every once in a while though I can really only recall a couple scenes. For some reason it left a good impression

On 5/7/2024 at 1:42 AM, Roughtrade said:

Read it in highschool, before DnD was published.

It was amusing. I can't remember for certain, isn't it the one where an alien invasion incoming towards earth is defeated by a billion ball bearings? Or am I remembering a similar book about earth defeating a superior technology?

Definitely not the ball bearing one, whatever that was. High Crusade, the aliens land in Medieval England. They have impressive technology and are brutal conquerors but have completely forgotten personal combat. A sound thrashing ensues.

3 hours ago, leons1701 said:

the aliens land in Medieval England. They have impressive technology

There is a similar book from that period, took me a while to remember the name.

King David's Spaceship

It's by Pournelle and part of his future history, so not taking place on earth. But it is a similar theme of low tech, sword and board types getting into a space battle. So similar in nature that I was conflating the two in my memory. So if y'all liked High Crusade, you might like King David's Spaceship.