Character Creation Questions

X51

Hey @X51,

Just had a few questions/comments about my guy/mechanics.

• I noticed the Skirmisher origin mentions a Heavy Bolt-Action Pipe Rifle but it seems they took that out. Am I supposed to get something else instead?
  • When the pack says you start with 8 +4CD rounds that's 8 x 4d6 rounds or did I misunderstand that?

37 minutes ago, emceeBeatdown said:

Hey @X51,

Just had a few questions/comments about my guy/mechanics.

• I noticed the Skirmisher origin mentions a Heavy Bolt-Action Pipe Rifle but it seems they took that out. Am I supposed to get something else instead?
  • When the pack says you start with 8 +4CD rounds that's 8 x 4d6 rounds or did I misunderstand that?

I'd guess that you're just supposed to get a regular Pipe Bolt-Action Rifle.

The '8 + 4 CD' means 8 plus 4 combat dice. This system uses proprietary d6s to determine damage, which I apparently neglected to actually describe in the mechanics section, which is my bad. I'll add this into the mechanics in a moment, but you can use the following table to translate d6 results into Combat Die results:

D6 result Symbol Result
1 * 1 damage
2 ** 2 damage
3 blank -
4 blank -
5 Vault Boy 1 dmg+Effect
6 Vault Boy 1 dmg+Effect

When using CD to determine random quantities, you roll the specified number of CD and add up the total damage rolled, and that's how many extra you get. So, if rolled a 1, 3, 6, and 2 on your 4CD (1 damage, blank, 1 damage + effect, and 2 damage), you'd get 8 + 4 total rounds of ammunition.

I'm gonna say no to selling, just because not everyone gets the same value in starting gear. What I will do, however, is give you a customized weapon that will use your highest weapon skill, instead of forcing you to take a pipe-gun, assuming that's why you're asking.

We'll call it a 'well-used laser pistol,' and it'll have the same stats as the pipe gun, but it'll use Energy Weapons instead of Small Guns, and deal Energy damage instead of Physical.

Once I've made selections, I'll go over the sheets and make the same offer to everyone else, though Big Guns and Explosives will not have the same option.

Buying, sure. You can spend your starting caps on anything but modifications, and just use the prices listed in the book.

Edited by X51 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, X51 said:

Once I've made selections, I'll go over the sheets and make the same offer to everyone else, though Big Guns and Explosives will not have the same option.

Lol aww you mean I can't get the awesome radiation bullet minigun that's in my image at the start of game? 

37 minutes ago, emceeBeatdown said:

Lol aww you mean I can't get the awesome radiation bullet minigun that's in my image at the start of game? 

I can't just let you start with it, but if you take the hidden side-path near the start of the game, you'll find an optional Super Mutant Behemoth boss. It might take a lot of trial and error to get the dodge-roll timing down, but if you can kill it, you might get something shiny for your trouble.

Maybe.

If I feel like it.

3 hours ago, X51 said:

I can't just let you start with it, but if you take the hidden side-path near the start of the game, you'll find an optional Super Mutant Behemoth boss. It might take a lot of trial and error to get the dodge-roll timing down, but if you can kill it, you might get something shiny for your trouble.

Maybe.

If I feel like it.

Yeah that's fair 😀 it is a weapon that costs over 300 caps and I start with 5. I was just being cheeky anyways.

Super Mutant Behemoth? Maybe I'll just try and Gun Bash it to death... see if that works.

my ultimate goal is a Flamer-modded gamma gun...
incidentally when the game starts we should probably figure out who will take what crafting perks, since i don't think there's any real benefit for having the same perk more than once in the group other than I guess being able to craft two things at the same time.

Edited by Krimsin (see edit history)

Looking over the perks what makes Basher worthwhile? Doesn't taking Big Leagues also add the vicious damage to gun bashes? I ask out of curiosity because I like the idea of the Slayer perk better and will be taking Slayer instead but I may pick up either of these later on

Edited by emceeBeatdown (see edit history)

4 hours ago, emceeBeatdown said:

Looking over the perks what makes Basher worthwhile? Doesn't taking Big Leagues also add the vicious damage to gun bashes? I ask out of curiosity because I like the idea of the Slayer perk better and will be taking Slayer instead but I may pick up either of these later on

Seems like the two key factors are that Basher works even with 1-handed gun bashes like with pistols, and Basher requires 2 less Str than Big Leagues. That's about all I can find. Basher may be superior for builds focusing on AGI, since most of the time you'll be shooting with the gun and only bashing occasionally, plus I think it's possible to use Melee attacks with stats that aren't STR

Edited by Krimsin (see edit history)

@Krimsin is correct about the benefits of Basher vs. Big Leagues. Using Agility with Melee has sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole, however. The book mentions that AGI+Melee can be used to parry an incoming melee attack, but nothing in the rules makes this possible. 'Parry' is a weapon quality that lets you spend an AP to increase your Defense against an incoming Melee attack by 1. It's possible that at one point Parry allowed for you to roll AGI+Melee to increase your Defense, or that defending was more of an Opposed Test situation instead of having a static Defense number. The latter might be worth trying out at some point, but I'd like to run this adventure as close to RAW as possible to get a baseline feel for things, and then I might make adjustments after that for this or future games.

@Krimsin @X51
Yeah that makes sense. I think some of the rules in the book needing errata is what gets these kind of questions raised. Based on that info, since I'm not planning to be agile then Big Leagues does make more sense (if I decide to take it).

I'm still not even totally clear on healing like Fast Healing mentions getting a free d20 for STR + END checks but in other parts indicate that check is INT + Medicine.

Edited by emceeBeatdown (see edit history)