Stats

STR: 08

DEX: 14

CON: 14

INT: 12

WIS: 10

CHA: 18

Description

Overall, Sarryl is truly an unearthly beauty. With her delicate features, slender build and fluid, ethereal gait that almost gives the appearance of sailing over the ground rather than walking, she could easily be mistaken for an elf. Her skin is rather pale, her hair bronde; she has deep, dark golden eyes.

Slightly shorter than her peers, Sarryl has a preference for dark or green, expensive, and delicate garments that do justice to her features and graceful silhouette.

Personality

Curious and genuinely interested in others, Sarryl has always found it easy to draw people to her. She may have become slightly manipulative because of this, influencing - and at times using - people to reach her objectives, although she would never admit to doing it.

In a group setting, she is not interested in leading, but more in influencing the group's decisions; she will not hesitate to argue and defend her positions on issues she feels are important.

Sarryl will insist on the necessity of planning, but here her usual dilemma between reason and intuition may very well kick in: while she will probably come up with carefully laid, well thought out plans, she may suddenly decide to throw said plans out of the window for reasons known only to her... That is not to say that her personality is completely volatile - only that her intellect may conflict with her gut feelings, and that - if faced with the choice - she will typically choose the latter.

Sarryl suffers from compulsive counting. She counts because certain numbers have a special significance for her: she sees the number 3 as a good omen, an occurrence of the number 4 as a bad omen, and the number 8 as the best possible omen.

Backstory

Sarryl was born in the town of Sandpoint. The second daughter of Gerrhald Aewynn, a successful armorer and weapons merchant who had set up shop after a first career in adventuring as a wizard of some repute, Sarryl quickly developed a fascination for fine metalworking, the Arcane arts and Engineering. Seeing her tastes develop in what he thought were the traits of both a business leader - one who could manage people and distant operations - and of one who could follow his footsteps in the study of the Arcane, Gerrhald hired a tutor to teach her magic and accounting. Indeed, he had hoped to groom Sarryl as his associate and - hopefully - his successor.

But Sarryl's personality did not evolve as his father had expected. For all her respect of books, rigorous studies and the very notion of order, her approach to magic turned out to be much more intuitive and chaotic than Gerrhald had hoped. To her mentor, trying to teach a short-witted, capricious sorceress the subtle secrets and delicate beauties of the Arcane was like casting pearls before swine; besides, Sarryl's interest in (and patience for) accounting was very limited. After three years trying to teach the young girl, her mentor explained to Gerrhald that she could neither learn how to run a business nor become a wizard. Sarryl began spending more time in the town’s taverns and gambling halls than she did studying. That is how she ultimately became friends with Ameiko Kaijitsu, proprietor of The Rusty Dragon, the most popular tavern in town.

Seeing that he was unable to groom Sarryl as he wished, Gerrhald decided to give her in marriage to some worthy husband of his choice - just as he had done with her elder sister, whom he had married to a wealthy member of Magnimar's small aristocracy. That is when she decided to flee her home; Ameiko rescued her and offered her shelter in her own home. The two young women became best friends; while Ameiko had had a much more exciting life than Sarryl so far, the girl hoped one day to follow in her friend’s footsteps and see the world—or perhaps even become an adventurer herself. Over time, Sarryl picked up a lot from her friend, but particularly her skill in interacting with others.

Sarryl feels indebted to Ameiko for the hospitality she showed her when she fled her home. She will therefore protect her friend to the best of her abilities.

Sarryl may not have mentors to guide her, but she can still seek knowledge alone and learn more about her own untapped magical powers; and as to earning a living, she can always count on her newfound skills as a gambler.

Edited by Leonidas1789 (see edit history)
Name
Starting Wealth
2d6*10 6,5

No issue with the background story.  I can suggest some local (canon and personal) contacts for Sarryl when necessary, as well as a physical location to plop down her family smithy.

Looking forward to seeing the character sheet fleshed out.

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

• As per Core p30, the Next level XP on the Slow advancement track is 3,000.
  • Humans also begin play speaking Common and their ethnic language, if they have one.
  • Scholar's Outfit is technically not a type of armour (although mechanically this doesn't really impact anything).
  • Assuming that you've not retrained the "Skilled" human trait, which therefore grants you your 4th skill point
    • and that the class skill and +2 bonus on Diplomacy comes from the campaign trait.
  • Could you itemize out the costs of your inventory for me please?  I'm having trouble reconciling like a measly 1gp 4sp 7cp and it's bothering me.  (I know, who cares... >.<)

2 hours ago, iantruesilver said:
  • As per Core p30, the Next level XP on the Slow advancement track is 3,000.

Corrected on the character sheet.

• Humans also begin play speaking Common and their ethnic language, if they have one.

Added Varisian as a spoken language on Sarryl's character sheet.

• Scholar's Outfit is technically not a type of armour (although mechanically this doesn't really impact anything).

Unless I'm mistaken, I didn't consider Sarryl's Schoolar Outfit as an armour... Not sure what you mean?

• Assuming that you've not retrained the "Skilled" human trait, which therefore grants you your 4th skill point
    • and that the class skill and +2 bonus on Diplomacy comes from the campaign trait.

You are correct on both accounts. I've used the Alternate Favored Class Bonus for human sorceress but have not retrained the "Skilled" human trait, hence Sarryl's 4th skill point. The +2 bonus on Diplomacy comes from the Best Friend (Ameiko) campaign trait.

3 hours ago, iantruesilver said:
  • Could you itemize out the costs of your inventory for me please?  I'm having trouble reconciling like a measly 1gp 4sp 7cp and it's bothering me.  (I know, who cares... >.<)

Done on the character sheet.

Thank you very much for the review! Please do let me know if everything is okay now.