Quoted post error

hoverfrog

Two or three times now I have quoted a post and then edited it (CTRL+Right Click and then changing the text). After clicking on save the original quoted post remains rather than the edited text. Is this a glitch? Has anyone else reported this?

Also sometimes when quoting a previous post some of the post will appear twice for no apparent reason. That could be a spoiler or a bit of text bounded by horizonal rules and formatted differently. I can just delete this but it seems a bit odd.

So this is the post that I have quoted before and will use as an example. You'll note that the OOC Scene Notes appears twice. This is the original post. https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/1595-ic-torment-and-legacy/&do=findComment&comment=16221

image.png.61b460df45a859d824c304fa93347d32.png

Torment and Legacy

The Village of Salvoy

aec696a897d9e502fb7cf46dad68a718--hobgoblin-ogre.jpgShaggy rides ahead to the base of the cliff. The ogre leans over and growls, his brow furrowing in confusion, "Oi, what you doin'? Who're you?"

"More meat for me fire,” he laughs as he waves his hook and javelin.

"Help me! Please!" An old bearded man, bound at the entrance of the cave, begs as he struggles with his bonds.

OOC Scene Notes

Could everyone roll initiative please.

There is now an active map in the spoiler below
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

OOC Scene Notes

Could everyone roll initiative please.

There is now an active map in the spoiler below
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

Shaggy 19

Ogre 19

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Sir Michael Shaggy

Valaerys Alexander

Show Active Map

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

I think I have a similar case.

1. In creating this post, I quoted this earlier post.
  2. Used [Ctrl + Right Click] and removed the "quote box" while keeping the content.
  3. Modified the body of the post to describe the character's new actions.
  4. Added the "OOC" spoiler at the bottom of the post.
  5. Submitted the reply.

However, upon submitting the reply, the changes in Step 3 were discarded. So, the new post looked exactly like the old, quoted post but with the "OOC" spoiler at the bottom.

Of course, you wouldn't see the error in the new post anymore because I went back to edit it. I'm just using it to illustrate the sequence of events for me. ;)

OK, I'm pretty sure I have the pattern here. All of these posts have floated images in them. Floating items are tied to the very last paragraph of the text they're floating next to, which is usually (but not exclusively) a blank paragraph at the end of the text block. If you select all of the text and delete that anchor paragraph, the editor gets confused and doesn't know what to do with the floating image, so the post edits do not get saved. This is unfortunately endemic to all sorts of WYSIWYG editors, for example, deleting a paragraph right at the end of a numbered list in Microsoft Word.

There are a couple best-practice options to avoid this:

• Put the image into the legend of the fieldset instead of floating inside the fieldset (example)
  • Float the image to the left of the fieldset instead of inside it (example)
  • Float the image inside the fieldset next to a container element such as a nested fieldset or single-cell table (these options usually require some use of source mode to make pretty)
  • Keep the text floated next to the image, but very carefully select everything except the last paragraph to delete rather than deleting absolutely everything. You can be sure you're safe if you leave the last visible character (letter or punctuation mark), since it's before that invisible paragraph break.

As the posting template quoted by @hoverfrog looks to be originally quoted off of one of my templates. I can confirm that without floated images inside those fieldsets then there are 0 issues over hundreds of quote/edit operations.

The OOC duplication may be from some unclosed tags being caused in the edit. Likely due to the floated image. It also helps if you float images to the right instead of the left for some reason. That is why I always float right if I need to float.

But again, if it is a posting template that will be quoted regularly then like Eric said, I would get the floated image outside of the fieldset or remove the fieldset altogether unless it is absolutely necessary. You also can simulate the old setfield tag by using borders in a tag element instead of a proper fieldset. But that would need to be done in the source code.

This post is done with one as an example.

Makes sense. Thanks for the tips. :)

I'll be honest - the current setup of BALDR makes the space of each post rather cluttered, with so many "metadata" stuff (e.g. "Posted X hours ago", "[+] Quote") standing so close to the main body/content of the post. I find that wrapping the main body/content of the post in a fieldset helps direct the eyes toward it, so I don't want to drop the fieldset if I can help it.

I'll be putting the portrait in the header/legend of the fieldset from now on instead, in aid of more easily replicating the post template.

This is useful to know. I now think this has less to do with quoting and floating, and more to do with the fieldset object itself. I'll put it on the board to dig into.

EDIT: Belay that last. I was able to replicate--while I can't provide a screenshot right now, the effect is that after doing a Keep Quote and Remove Contents, I found that the displayed version and the underlying source were no longer in sync. Will do further troubleshooting but at least I can replicate the problem!

• 6 months later...