Chapter 1- Untitled due to spoilers...(But really its called One Last Job)

SirLoganofGilead

On 12/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, SirLoganofGilead said:

The stairs are wooden and you would be surprised by how they seem both shaky, and yet sturdy enough to use

Are we certain that these are the doors we came in on? If not, we may be in something deeper than my worst of fears. If so, let so get the girl out and then either burn or disassemble the stairs behind us. That should at least slow or dissuade any pursuit.

ooc

can one of us make a check to recognize if this is or is not the entrance?

Istria Mare

HP: 19/27 | Spell Slots

"If life offers you a way out of a problem Glanton, use it."

Istria took the fore and threw the door open, provided it budged at all.

"Even if it isn't the right door, we can make a stand where we can negate their numbers a little."

OOC

If an enemy pursuer comes within sixty feet of her, she'll use an action to cast sacred flame.

izju8PZ.pngSutter also votes for taking their chances for whatever is above them. It may not be the way they came in but it is still moving in the right direction and, with enemies in pursuit, their options were limited.

You being the arduous climb up the stairs, each of you remembers the long descent, and the ascent seems like it will take even longer. The light starts to vanish and the walls start to change from the old rock to the newer construction that denotes the surface work. The moment the shadows cover you completely, Olive feels a sharp prick in her back. "Stop, all of you stop!"  The girl's tiny voice is no longer wavering or crying, by the sound of her voice she seems to be quite confident.

Istria Mare

"Let's not spin things out of control here," Istria held up her hands, knowing how quick some of the others were to solving issues with violence, "Hear her out, because we were told she was very sharp."

OOC

If an enemy pursuer comes within sixty feet of her, she'll use an action to cast sacred flame.

izju8PZ.png"Wait. What's happened?" Sutter asks, maybe a little too far away from the girl to have completely noticed what was happening, but eager to get up the stairs. "... and can we sort it all out someplace more comfortable?"

Edited by BlackHat (see edit history)

The girl didn't move one way or another. Instead, she called out again. "Let me see one of those cards. Who are you people? The last people had my father's guild cards too...and they...they tricked me down there." For those who could see in the darkness, her hand not holding the knife reached out, waiting for one of the cards.

Glanton passed her the card.

In short, we were hired by a contact heretofore unknown to us. We were arranged a meeting and we were told you had been taken a hour prior to the meeting - a meeting that had been arranged two hours before that. All of us needed the money although not all of us may admit it. To put it bluntly we are the dregs of the city, willing to do bloody work for a fistful of coin.

But this I tell you with all honesty we were paid to bring you back to the surface by our contact - he describes their liaison with the guild - and that is what we mean to do. Doing ill by an innocent child well it do not sit well with me.

But now you know a measure of our secrets and you know none of hours. An asymmetry, one that should be righted.

Tell us of what happened to you from the moment of your abduction onwards if you please.

izju8PZ.png"Wait. Your father is a genie?" Sutter narrows his eyes, uncertain of what magical abilities this apparent 'girl' could perform. "I believe that means we can each ask you three questions...."

Istria Mare

"I think I would be one to deny Glanton's assertion," she produced her own card and passed it to the girl, "I don't consider any of us draff; we're just a bit rough around the edges."

OOC

• 1 month later...

The little girl looks at the cards, sighs heavily, and puts her blade away. "The man you saw me in a cage with, they said they my father sent them to me. They said he was in trouble, so I might be in trouble, and they had to get me to a place where no one could find me. They said people would be looking for me. They showed me his guild card...but they seemed...disorganized. Almost like they didn't know each other, or were new, I don't know. Can we finish the trip home now? I want to know my father is safe.

Glanton winces a bit at the tale.

Funny that story. Not in the laughing way. But it's more familiar, far more familiar than I would like. We ought to get back to the surface, yes. Pointed questions to be asked. Of everyone.

So you were with your father when you were taken away with his knowledge bearing a selfsame card? Curious.

What the blazes was going on, Glanton cursed to himself. First she gets sent away then we are told she was kidnapped and to bring her back. There was a game but what it was it was beyond him. That was for certain.