Chapter 1- Untitled due to spoilers...(But really its called One Last Job)

SirLoganofGilead

Glanton repeats what the guard said in Common.

I have no idea how many came. We are on patrol it is that UNCOMMON to have more than a single person come down in a while YEAR.

and says,

Yes, it was that building you looked into earlier, Olive. Let's knock this fellow on the head, dump some alcohol on him - you might have some of that with you, Sutter, or else something that could do the job - then leave him in an alley or something. I think Olive can take the lead on dumping him off, if you need a hand just say so.

Then, I suppose we could either slip into the building, or try a subterfuge. I could Disguise Self as our prisoner here and bring you lot in as "captives", but of the many things I am, a smooth talker is not one of them. It would turn to knifework soon enough. Alternately, kick down the door, waving swords and all that, have a good old-fashioned bit of butchery like honest folks. But whatever we do, we do quickly.

Glanton had a pretty good read on what state Olive was likely to leave their unlucky prisoner. He just didn't care.

izju8PZ.png"Indeed," Sutter confirmed at the suggestion that he might have some illicit substances that could be used to explain the guard's unconscious state. "... as for the ruse, if it shall turn to knives, I might prefer to have a knife on me when it does."

Istria Mare

HP: 19/27 | Spell Slots

"Some of his fellows might not believe that he just got drunk. We might not need to kill him though. Just gag him, tie him up, and stash him somewhere out of the way. I can ensure he won't be heard from in a little while..."

The conditions were a little crude, but Istria started working on a rite of silence. Even if they decided on another fate for the guard, she use the spell for their benefit instead.

Points well taken. said Glanton. He slammed the pommel of his shortsword down hard onto the skull of the guard and watched their hapless prisoner lapse into unconsciousness.

I know knocking out someone that way isn't exactly harmless, but I wouldn't worry about that. he added and dragged the unconscious body into an alley. Setting the guard down, he rifled through his pockets - best make it look like a mugging - then dumped some garbage, that foul detritus of civilization , over him. Then, Glanton drove the point of the shortsword into the guard's eye socket.

Returning to his compatriots, he asks, Now how do we propose approaching the guardhouse? I agree with Olive in that time may not favor us.

"I can creep forward to check it out," Olive said. "If our approach is not easily observed, I'll wave the rest of you up. Then we can take care of anyone inside. We'll have to gain entrance first." On that front Olive had no ideas.

I'll cover you from a distance with my bow, agreed Glanton. Scouting never was a bad idea, he figured.

I think if you get close and report back, we can get a sense of what opposition we may face. Once we know that, we can ... avail ourselves with one of several approaches. The simplest is to just cut our way in, going hell for leather every step of the way.

We could also infiltrate via a side door or window should we find one.

Lastly, I can disguise self to win entry past the guards - but I do not know names, passwords, customs, and even the spell itself will not stand up to close scrutiny. So that'll turn to knifework right soon enough.

Istria Mare

HP: 19/27 | Spell Slots

"And closely."

Istria slipped in behind Sutter in the procession. Had she known Glanton was just going to kill the guard anyway, she would've protested. It seemed needless. But she didn't and she wouldn't. Enveloped in the silence, the lantern would serve as a signal.

The guard went to sleep when hit hard, and was a pile of dead weight from that point forward. There wasn't far to go back in to the guardhouse, and the guard that should have been patrolling here was already taken care of. The building is still a squat squarish building, with a window on each side. No lights are on now.

Glanton knelt in the shadows of a nearby alleyway, arrow nocked to bowstring and the shaft gently resting upon his thumb. He was in easy bowshot of the building and far enough to be hard to spot. At least until the arrows started flying. Shooting arrows without or waving a sword, it was all the same to him, and one or the other seemed sure to pass. For now, though, he waited and provided cover for his fellow warrior.

• 2 weeks later...

Oliver looked through the opposite window than she had looked through last time. This time she could see a cage in the middle of the room. There seemed to be a number of people in the cage, and it was tough to identify who and how many there were. From this angle, she could not see any guards or where they might be.

Glanton quietly rushes up on Olive's signal. He glances through the window and then joins Olive near the entrance, bow at the ready.

In a whisper, It looks like your plan is to take this place by storm. I'm with you on that, can't speak for the others.