Chapter 1- Untitled due to spoilers...(But really its called One Last Job)

SirLoganofGilead

Istria Mare

HP: 19/27 | Spell Slots

Glanton wasn't the only one to suffer a bit of confusion about all of this. This guild seemed bound and determined to operate outside of more straightforward means by necessity. A path her goddess would certainly approve of. This time, however, answers would be more appreciated than further mysteries.

"Yes, let's get you home to a better place for pondering."

Olive dropped whatever that was pretending to be a little girl on the ground, probably harder than she should have.

"Don't fall behind or we'll leave you here. Then you'll see what good that knife will do you."

Olive took off with the others. She brought up the rear, pushing the "girl" to keep up as needed

As she hoofed it to the exit Olive said to no one in particular, "So, either the group in the cell were cutthroats hired to snatch the girl and bring her down here, pretending to be sent by her father, and who got caught. Or, she really was in danger. They really were sent by her father, and we are the cutthroats sent to kidnap . . . what's her name? What's your name girl?" Olive poked her in the back.

Olive waited to see what the "girl" said her name was. She then asked, "We were hired by an elderly elf to come get you. He gave us these cards. Do you know of whom I speak? What's his name?"

• 2 weeks later...

The answered Glanton first, "No, I was not with my father. I was looking for something in the basement, and those men came out of the secret passages. I didn't even know they were there!"

As everyone started walking, the girl did as well, seemingly content that you would not be hurting her.

She responded to Olive as she walked. My name is Alessandria. The old man you speak of seems to be my father's business partner. His name is Audorin."

You continue up the stairs and find yourselves just before the opening to the basement that you started at. The door seems closed, but from this side you can see some light streaming in from around the door's seams. From this side, there is a clear lever on the right of the door.

Glanton sighs.

So maybe it was an inside job of a sort. Maybe it was not. Do you trust Audorin? I want a better sense of how things stand before we step back into the above.

And show me that dagger, nice and slow. No funny business, it has been a long day for everyone. Where did you get that thing, anyways?

Is the dagger anything special? A purpose built weapon or upjumped kitchen implement?

In a hushed conference with the others, he asks,

How do you want to play this? Should we be confrontational with Audorin, or try guile? It is not my call, I am not a silvertongue by any stretch.

Istria Mare

Istria blinked as Sutter plainly stated the subtext, a sentiment mirrored in her whispered reply, "That is the most sensible thing I've heard in the past few hours. We don't know, and it's pointless to argue it here."

"Now then, lets get on the other side of this door and out of the darkness for a bit."

Olive didn't really do guile. She could do confrontation though. She's keep her mouth shut until it came to that. Hopefully she could just get paid and leave.

Glanton runs through things as he more or less (probably less, he admits to himself) understands them.

First, the timing is off - we were contacted for the job before she was kidnapped. Then, the kidnapping itself, by randoms clearly slapped together bearing the secret card sigil no less. Some elaborate test, or jest?

The suspiciously precocious "girl". This just seems... off all around.

• 2 weeks later...

The door opened easily from this side of the tunnel. In the basement, two men waited for your arrival. One of them was easily recognized, Audorin, was there chatting it up with another man. Their voices seemed unconcerned and the conversation seemed mundane. The girl ran to the man hugging him and calling it out in a girlish voice for the first time. "DADDY!" The man turned to face the group. He was wearing a mask, the mask was a face that somehow resembled the ace of spades. He had thick black hair, and appeared to be human, he was short and stocky, but there wasn't much else you could tell about him from just a glance. Audorin waived for you to come closer. "I Told you they would do it! Never had any doubt!"

Istria Mare

There was surely going to be a bit of tedious back and forth soon. Istria knew that and dreaded it. But for now, she soaked in the sight of a reunion she had a hand in securing.