戦闘 [Combat FAQ and Tableplop VTT]

iantruesilver

Virtual Tabletop

Okay I just realized that y’all probably can’t see the map of the Rusty Dragon I posted from Tableplop, so here’s an invite link to the campaign.

I don’t expect you guys to move tokens or anything like that over there, I’m solely using that as a visual aid. We’ll keep all the rolling and whatnot over here on MW side.

That said, it is rather easy to drag your own tokens around, so if that’s what you guys want to do, knock your socks off.

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling Dice

For my sanity's sake, please roll dice on the same post where your character is doing the thing requiring the die roll.  It's easier for me to reference without having to have multiple tabs open (because trust me, my browser tab counts are already horrendous).

Initiatives and Combat Order

Handling combat on PbP platforms has always been a hairy subject.  Some establish a full initiative order and do the awkward dance of waiting until their turn to post, which takes an unhealthy amount of time to process each round, which bogs down the game's pace and sometimes contributes to game death.

So instead of doing that, I've improvised an "I go you go" system that streamlines combat posting, while still preserving the value in initiative rolls. (Edit: I guess people are just calling this block initiative now, and using averages.  I shall adopt this.)

Allow me to demonstrate.

1. Combat is initiated, either by the players or by the GM.  In my post, I call for initiatives to be rolled, and delineate whether there is a surprise round involved, and which PC's are immediately aware and unaware of combat.  Other dice may be required at this time.
    • ie. Noriko and Bianca are inside the common room of the Rusty Dragon as a bar fight is brewing.  Having her fingers on the pulse of her sister's tavern, Noriko is immediately aware of the impending fight (Sense Motive roll: 18); Bianca however has her nose to her books, and is oblivious to her surroundings at large (Perception roll: 6).

2. I compile initiative orders and combat begins with the surprise round on my next post.
    • ie. Bar fight breaks out (Enemy Initiative roll: 7).  Ameiko is not going to be happy.

3. Players involved make an in-character post with their rolled initiative.  Those with immediate awareness may make their surprise round actions in this same post.
    • ie. Noriko rolls 3 for her initiative.  As she is immediately aware, Noriko executes her surprise round actions at this time.

4. Combat continues with an "I go you go" order.  All PC's involved in combat may post at your own convenience.  PCs actions will be resolved collectively at the party's highest initiative value.  Groups of enemies and NPCs will also each operate with single group initiatives.
    • ie. Noriko posts Round 1 actions.  Bianca joins the fight (Initiative roll: 18) and posts her Round 1 actions.  Noriko's actions are now advanced to Group Initiative Block (18+3)/2 = 10.5, just behind Bianca (Individual initiatives will still be a factor for the purposes of my own adjudications).  Ameiko steps in to shut down the bar brawl (Initiative roll: 5), GM posts enemy and NPC actions, and processes results.

5. "I go you go" continues until combat is resolved.
    • ie. PCs post Round 2 actions next (Initiative 18), then GM posts Round 2 (Enemy Initiative 7, Ameiko Initiative 5) and results, Round advances.  Continue ad nauseum.

FAQ

Q: It's not my turn, can I still post or do I have to wait?

A: Go ahead and post.  See above.  In effect, this "I go you go" combat order makes it so that the only person you're ever waiting for is the GM.

Q: What if so and so has a higher initiative than me, but their post gets in after mine and they end up ganking my intended target?

A: Let me sort that out.  As the whole group of PCs now essentially operate on the same initiative, all your actions are really kind of simultaneous anyway.

I’ll do my best to highlight significant events like enemies being removed from battle with small additional posts mid-round. If any conflicts do end up occuring, I'll interpret your actions in a manner I believe is most beneficial to the PCs in general.

If any confusion still exists, we can quickly sort it out in the OOC as necessary.

Q: Your map link didn’t work! It just sent me to some stupid error page959073649_TableplopError500.jpg.e6b43072faa1c01705af77962f06481a.jpg!

A: It seems you must log in at Tableplop in order to see the maps. See above.