Act I: Welcome to Ravengro

Orpheus

As you talk about each of your own interactions and history with the professor, Adivion nods taking it all in, a morose look crosses his face. It's at this time Dolin walks in as Adivion begins to speak. 

spacer.pngAdivion Adrissant

"I remember the first day I entered the University, they said that Petros had a fascination with "broken" things. Whether it'd be things or people." He produces a flash taking a hearty swig. The first of any sort of uneasiness as it seems to be a comfort habit. "I was his student as well although probably many years before you Katrina, studied as his assistant for a few semesters as well. Didn't have much in terms of family so naturally I felt an affinity to impress him like I would my own father." 

Upon recognizing Dolin, Adivion claps his hands together; "I do say so master dwarf, you clean up!"

spacer.png

Kendra Lorrimor

Kendra returns with a slathering of small snacks and matter of drinks for everyone. Following her is a man, older and dressed to the nines. His station is apparent as is his wealth. He has a smile on his face and a rosy tint. "I brought back refreshments and I brought more company. Although, he won't be staying too long."

spacer.pngVashian Hearthmount

The man nods and turns to face the group; "Cheers. Lot of new faces! Wonderful, welcome to Ravengro. I'm Vashian Hearthmount. Run this little village of Ravengro. Sorry for yer' loss and all that." He shuffles through his pockets producing a delicate scroll sealed with a wax P.L. insignia. "But I've been waiting on this as per the specific instructions of the deceased, the last will and testament of Petros Lorrimor."

spacer.png

Dolin Rhuegar  | AC: 18 | HP: 12/12 | Hit dice: 1d8

AttacksWarhammer (bludgeoning) | +4 | 1d8+2
Dagger (piercing) | +4 | 1d4+2
Light Crossbow | +1 | 1d6-1
  | SavesStr +2 | Dex -1 | Con +3 | Int +0 | Wis +5 | Cha +2  | CantripsGuidance
Mending
Sacred Flame
  | 1st Level SpellsDivine Favor (Domain)
Shield of Faith (Domain)
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Protection from Evil and Good
2/2 | War PriestWhen you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest. 3/3

Dolin was desperately trying to pass unnoticed. Apparently he was unsuccessful in this endeavor. When Adivion addressed him directly, when he had just returned to the room, he froze in place, unsure in what to answer. With faltering words, he answered: Yes, sir. As my Uncle Brolun always said. Cast no dirt in the well that gives you water. Wise words to follow.

Then he tried to disappear from view and sit in a recluse corner. He was trying to hide his eagerness, but he couldn't. He was eager for the reading of the will and his face bared his thoughts to anyone.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

Screenshot_20221031-212300.png.9d9aed62b5bc1eb55f7fb637f1f28760.png

Name: Tal Dathrīm  | AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Hit dice: 1/1d6 | XP: 60

AttacksLight crossbow +4 ( 80/320) 1d8+2 p Dagger x 2 +4 (20/60) 1d4+2 p   | SavesStr -1 | Dex +2 | Con +4 | Wis -1 | Int +0 | Cha +5;  | CantripsFire bolt | Create Bonfire | Control flames | Prestidigitation  | 1st Level SpellsBurning hands | Shield 2/2

Tal stood up.

"Miss Lorrimor, thankin' you kindly for the drinks, and sorry for your loss I'm sure. Your father was a good fella. But if it's time for the will, I had best be taking my leave of you. I don't want to be in the way when the Professor's family and friends are hearing his last letters to them and such."

Mayor Hearthmount raises a finger at you, Tal. "The deceased wished for the will to be read in the company of his daughter, his former disciple Mr. Adrissant, and those who arrived specifically in Ravengro for my funeral. For in the result of my death will be contacted and notified therefore." He takes a cup of tea delicately sipping it in his large hands. "Looks like Professor Lorrimor had more he wanted to say to you after all." 

AttacksLight crossbow +4 ( 80/320) 1d8+2 p Dagger x 2 +4 (20/60) 1d4+2 p   | SavesStr -1 | Dex +2 | Con +4 | Wis -1 | Int +0 | Cha +5;  | CantripsFire bolt | Create Bonfire | Control flames | Prestidigitation  | 1st Level SpellsBurning hands | Shield 2/2

Tal opens his mouth, then closes it again. Looking a little discomfited, he shrugs, takes a large drink from the hostess, and sits down again 

OxZVwMj.png.37c995819f6e33e29ea4d927b362ac85.png

Katrina Volshebnika - Tabaxi Wizard 1 AC16Mage Armor for 8 hours | HP: 8/8

AttacksClaws (Melee) +1 attack, 1d6-1 slashing damage
Chill Touch (120ft) +5 attack, 1d8 Necrotic damage
Shocking Grasp(Melee) +5 attack, 1d8 Lightning damage
 | SavesStr -1 | Dex +3 | Con +2 | Wis +3 | Int +5 | Cha -1  | CantripsPrestidigitation, Light, Sacred Flame, Chill Touch, Shocking Grasp  | 1st Level SpellsGuiding Bolt, Mage Armor, Sleep, Shield

Rituals:
Detect Magic, Find Familiar
  | Arcane RecoveryYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Taking a cup, she laps at it gingerly.  There was much to consider within this puzzle, the broken things, many in fact, gathered together.  Was there a whole thing that these broken bits were meant to fit into, or some sort of commonality other than their brokenness and the late professor that could be revealed?  Of that she was uncertain.  The will would likely have the clues she needed to piece this problem together.  She was good at solving problems, but not always the best at identifying them.  Reflexively she looked to Tal, he was a problem of sorts, she understood much of his magic well, but in identifying the problem, she had simply named him as one.  The professor had instead identified his lack of ability to manage his "gifts", that second one had a plausible and actionable remedy.  Arguably, her problem also had an actionable course to rid them of it, though it may have been a little less laudable from a moral perspective.   So she was glad when Tal was told to stay, he had done what was required of him and not burned the school, completely, to cinders.  Yes this would be interesting indeed.  She snatched a sweet and ate it.

Mechanics

Mage Armor Still on...

spacer.pngGalena (Winter)

Hit PointsCurrent Total: 8/8

Hit Dice: 1d8
| Attacks/DefensesDagger: +5 vs. AC, 1d4+3 piercing, Melee OR Ranged (20/60)

Armor Class: 14

Saves: Wisdom +4, Charisma +5
>> Advantage on Saves vs. Charm, immune to magical sleep effects.
| Skills+5 Deception
+5 Intimidation
+4 Perception
+5 Sleight-of-Hand
+5 Stealth
| SpellsSpellcasting Ability: Charisma (+3)
Save DC: 13
Spell Attack: +5

=========
CANTRIPS
Eldritch Blast (Action, 120')
>> +5 vs. AC, deals 1d10 Force damage on a hit.

Mind Sliver (Action, 60')
>> DC 13 Int, deals 1d6 Psychic damage on a fail, and the target subtracts 1d4 from its next saving throw before end of Galena's next turn.
=========
SPELLS KNOWN
Cause Fear (Action, 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Wis, Target becomes Frightened of Galena for the duration. Target may repeat save at the end of each of its turns, ending the spell on a success.

Faerie Fire (Action, 20' cube within 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Dex, Targets shed dim light for 10', any attack roll against affected creatures are made at Advantage.

Hex (Bonus Action, 90', Concentration, 1 Hour)
>> Galena deals an extra 1d6 Necrotic damage whenever she hits the target with an attack.

Sleep (Action, 20' sphere within 90', 1 Minute)
>> Renders 5d8 hit points' worth of targets unconscious, in ascending order of total HP remaining. Targets remain unconscious for the duration, or until they take damage, or someone uses an Action to wake them.
=========
| Other AbilitiesDarkvision 60'

Fey Presence 1/1 (Action, 10' Burst) (Per rest)
>> DC 13 Wis, Affected targets are Charmed or Frightened until the end of Galena's next turn.

Fey Step 1/1 (Bonus Action) (Per Rest)
>> Teleport up to 30' to an unoccupied space Galena can see.

She sits off to the side of the room, yes, arms wrapped protectively as if to ward off bitter cold. She hears the new one's words, but does not reply, instead gazing upon the floor.

When everyone is seated and no longer trying to run off, he makes a nodding motion. Sifting through his coat, he brings out tiny glasses which he places on his massive face and breaks the seal on the paper. "Today we are gathered for the reading of the will of the late Petros Lorrimor. Joined by his daughter Kendra, and other company. " With the seal broken, he places the paper on the table in front of all of you as it slowly starts to unfold itself. Then the booming voice coming of what you can distinctly tell is Petros Lorrimor. "He was always one for theatrics, Petros"

spacer.png

Last Will of Petros Lorrimor

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. I'm glad that hopefully my daughter and my former compatriots and wards are present. As of this time of the writing of said will, I have not yet seen you in many of years and worry that I may not see you again before my death. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my personal belongings entire to my daughter, Kendra, specifically the house. Use it or sell it as you see fit, my child.

Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, my friends we have not spoken in a long time and yet I have two final favors to ask. Please consider indulging an old foolish man one last time. 

I hate to impose upon you both, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans. I have tried most of my life to shelter my daughter and students from this. But most if not all of you have seen the evil out there.

And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to disaster. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer this to be dedicated to a better cause. I'd ask that you settle an old man's debt, please deliver them to the University of Lepistadt.

Secondly, I would ask that the lot of you would also delay your journey by a month in order to assist Kendra with anything she may need in the aftermath of my death. Of this I would be appreciative. I'm sure Kendra will not mind our home playing the role of your home for the next month. 

But on the matter of money, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon your arrival.

Finally, to my greatest student Adivion Adrissant. I wish I had more to give you but as of writing this will, I've been informed that you have held the mantle of Loremaster of Caliphas for a few years now. For you I have left a leather bound first edition of the Legend of Whispering Tyrant. This story used to be a favorite when you were a young student. I hope the lessons you've taken from it still ring true in your soul.

And with that. That is that. Goodbye my daughter, I'll miss you friends. Kelevmor guide my spirit onward. "

Edited by Orpheus (see edit history)

spacer.png

Dolin Rhuegar  | AC: 18 | HP: 12/12 | Hit dice: 1d8

AttacksWarhammer (bludgeoning) | +4 | 1d8+2
Dagger (piercing) | +4 | 1d4+2
Light Crossbow | +1 | 1d6-1
  | SavesStr +2 | Dex -1 | Con +3 | Int +0 | Wis +5 | Cha +2  | CantripsGuidance
Mending
Sacred Flame
  | 1st Level SpellsDivine Favor (Domain)
Shield of Faith (Domain)
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Protection from Evil and Good
2/2 | War PriestWhen you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest. 3/3

The will was a huge disappointment in one end. He almost cried out loud of boredom. A war din't happen, daggers didn't fly and not even a single slap at the face or dirty word was traded. A huge disappointment. He became sad for a brief moment. 

On the other hand, if his emotional needs were not fulfilled, his physically needs would be. Immediately he had the opportunity to fill his belly with booze until he returns to the ground were he belongs. In the near future, a chance to smite evil and prove his worth, with a portion of coins thrown in to smooth the deal. He would go for free, but money was always helpful for an adventurer.

Now let's celebrate! For Petros! He yelled and stood up abruptly. Then he looked at the others present, peering at each face, unsure if he was making a fool of himself for acting out of time.  

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

Now the sorcerer looks even more stunned. He frowns, and mouths the words one hundred platinum each, trying it out. He doesn't hate it.

"Get the books, wait a month, and travel home? Sounds fine. Miss Kendra, do you know where these dangerous books are? I know from personal experience that such things can pack a right wallop if left lying around. "

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

OxZVwMj.png.37c995819f6e33e29ea4d927b362ac85.png

Katrina Volshebnika - Tabaxi Wizard 1 AC16Mage Armor for 8 hours | HP: 8/8

AttacksClaws (Melee) +1 attack, 1d6-1 slashing damage
Chill Touch (120ft) +5 attack, 1d8 Necrotic damage
Shocking Grasp(Melee) +5 attack, 1d8 Lightning damage
 | SavesStr -1 | Dex +3 | Con +2 | Wis +3 | Int +5 | Cha -1  | CantripsPrestidigitation, Light, Sacred Flame, Chill Touch, Shocking Grasp  | 1st Level SpellsGuiding Bolt, Mage Armor, Sleep, Shield

Rituals:
Detect Magic, Find Familiar
  | Arcane RecoveryYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

She was shocked to hear the late professor's voice, and wished there was a way to replay it, or keep a recording of it for herself.  That would be the last time she heard it, but that wasn't bothering her as much as the contents.  He did not sound ill or aged, he was of clear mind and it was a recent recording, so he knew well that there was a high probability of him dying.  This didn't add up, but how did she ask?  "I would also like to see these books." Maybe she'd ask later, when there was not such a crowd.

Mechanics

Mage Armor Still on...

Vashian chuckles at the end of it raising his own cup before finishing it. "Well with that, Kendra I'll take my leave." He gives everyone a wave and makes for the door; "Oh, I heard there was some trouble on the Dreamwake this morning. People here are a little more easily spooked these days. Best ye' don't make yourselves any trouble when you're down here. Friendly advice." He puts his coat and hat on before exiting. 

spacer.png

Kendra Lorrimor

Kendra nods at Tal pointing upstairs; "Father's study" she simply says as she fills up Dolin's drink once more before imbibing in her own drink. "I cannot believe that they had the gall to interrupt a funeral."

spacer.pngAdivion Adrissant

Adivion nods sipping his drink as he cradles the new book of the Whispering Tyrant in his hands; "The ignorant will always beget more ignorance. Doesn't matter the circumstances around Petros' death. Prison or not." He gets up stretching; "I'm afraid I have some work I need to get back to, Kendra. But I leave you in the capable hands of these fine fellows."

Edited by Orpheus (see edit history)

spacer.pngGalena (Winter)

Hit PointsCurrent Total: 8/8

Hit Dice: 1d8
| Attacks/DefensesDagger: +5 vs. AC, 1d4+3 piercing, Melee OR Ranged (20/60)

Armor Class: 14

Saves: Wisdom +4, Charisma +5
>> Advantage on Saves vs. Charm, immune to magical sleep effects.
| Skills+5 Deception
+5 Intimidation
+4 Perception
+5 Sleight-of-Hand
+5 Stealth
| SpellsSpellcasting Ability: Charisma (+3)
Save DC: 13
Spell Attack: +5

=========
CANTRIPS
Eldritch Blast (Action, 120')
>> +5 vs. AC, deals 1d10 Force damage on a hit.

Mind Sliver (Action, 60')
>> DC 13 Int, deals 1d6 Psychic damage on a fail, and the target subtracts 1d4 from its next saving throw before end of Galena's next turn.
=========
SPELLS KNOWN
Cause Fear (Action, 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Wis, Target becomes Frightened of Galena for the duration. Target may repeat save at the end of each of its turns, ending the spell on a success.

Faerie Fire (Action, 20' cube within 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Dex, Targets shed dim light for 10', any attack roll against affected creatures are made at Advantage.

Hex (Bonus Action, 90', Concentration, 1 Hour)
>> Galena deals an extra 1d6 Necrotic damage whenever she hits the target with an attack.

Sleep (Action, 20' sphere within 90', 1 Minute)
>> Renders 5d8 hit points' worth of targets unconscious, in ascending order of total HP remaining. Targets remain unconscious for the duration, or until they take damage, or someone uses an Action to wake them.
=========
| Other AbilitiesDarkvision 60'

Fey Presence 1/1 (Action, 10' Burst) (Per rest)
>> DC 13 Wis, Affected targets are Charmed or Frightened until the end of Galena's next turn.

Fey Step 1/1 (Bonus Action) (Per Rest)
>> Teleport up to 30' to an unoccupied space Galena can see.

She furrows her brow. Coin, he gives her. Coin. A contentious subject. So many had seen her babbling on the street and assumed she'd been asking for alms, but in truth, she never asks for a copper. Petros would try to give after his questions, yes, but always she would refuse.

Still, coin has its uses, and despite not asking from those passing by, she still took them. A loaf of bread, or a tuber, and on rare occasion a pot in which to cook. But she has no use for this amount. Five score of the shiniest bits. Finally, in death, Petros had found a way to make her take his coin.

It is not like she was expecting something different, mind - she expected nothing at all - but to be given such wealth for simply having him was a strange thing.

Thinking on this keeps her quiet for some time, though she hears as the other speak. She remembers those on the road, the fear and doubt in their gazes. Clarity comes, then, and she begins to quietly chuckle to herself.

"Clever Petros," she mutters. "Always clever, even now."

A concern crosses Tal's mind.

"Let's see the books then. Do then have anything to do with how he died?. "

Kendra leads all of you upstairs as she quickly bids farewell to Adivion. The study of the Professor is seemingly untouched since the last time Petros was most likely here, a desk of several papers lay scattered about. Several big bookshelves tower over you and even more so a wall of sketches that seemingly chronicle many of the adventures Petros had over the years.

spacer.png

Kendra Lorrimor

"Here we are." She points to a trunk that sits just by the desk. She rests the key atop of the desk before turning. "This was not meant for my eyes, father hated having me in here. I'll leave you to it." She stops by the exit before turning to Tal; "What happened to my father was an accident. Decaying architecture. Nothing more."

Using the key, it easily fits into place giving a click to indicate it has been unlocked. The trunk opens up with a pile of tomes. The newest tome sits on the top bearing a small note attached to it that read simply "read me first". The next three tomes seemed to be the dark tomes mentioned before, they have contact information noted on them for the University of Lepistradt if they need to be returned there. The last one seems to be a manual on an order of some sorts, it has contact information for one Embereth Daramid. Which you know as the person who has your inheritance, when you go collect it. The first-tome is leatherbound and much less ornate than the rest.