Act I: Welcome to Ravengro

Orpheus

spacer.png

Dolin Rhuegar  | AC: 18 | HP: 12/12 | Hit dice: 1d8

AttacksWarhammer (bludgeoning) | +4 | 1d8+2
Dagger (piercing) | +4 | 1d4+2
Light Crossbow | +1 | 1d6-1
  | SavesStr +2 | Dex -1 | Con +3 | Int +0 | Wis +5 | Cha +2  | CantripsGuidance
Mending
Sacred Flame
  | 1st Level SpellsDivine Favor (Domain)
Shield of Faith (Domain)
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Protection from Evil and Good
2/2 | War PriestWhen you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest. 3/3

Dolin thought that now was the time to hold his liquor, when he was taken to see the study of the professor Petros. These books might be precious, and very rare. He could unleash his thirsty for alcohol later.

Approaching the chest with great care, almost reverence, he took the newest tome in his callous hands and read the note at the front. Read me first. I believe we should start here. He quickly scanned the book for any important notes or meaningful passages. With time and in other occasion, he would read it entirely, but not today. Today the objetive was different, honor the dead.

When satisfied with the first book, he took some time to read the manual too. Quickly.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

Screenshot_20221031-212300.png.9d9aed62b5bc1eb55f7fb637f1f28760.png

Name: Tal Dathrīm  | AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Hit dice: 1/1d6 | XP: 60

AttacksLight crossbow +4 ( 80/320) 1d8+2 p Dagger x 2 +4 (20/60) 1d4+2 p   | SavesStr -1 | Dex +2 | Con +4 | Wis -1 | Int +0 | Cha +5;  | CantripsFire bolt | Create Bonfire | Control flames | Prestidigitation  | 1st Level SpellsBurning hands | Shield 2/2

Tal steps right back and lets the dwarf root round the box for a while. He's very cautious of magic objects these days. "Read it out then! Let's hear whatever he wanted us to hear."

You all open the book and recognize the writings of Petros from the makeup and mark of it all; it seems to be a journal that he had kept. Partially as a research log into his various investigations as well as some musings he may of had in general. There are countless pages within the journal dating back all the way to ten years. Your both able to see an unfiltered version of your former friend/mentor's thoughts. A trend you notice is that there is a number of entries that are circled within the journal. Quickly sifting through there are six in total. An odd recurring theme for such a huge timeline.

The Circled Entries

Ten Years Ago
The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous

Two Months Ago
It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

One Month Ago
Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense- the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity—there’s plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

Twenty Days Ago
It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something-
no, strike that— someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Kelevmor must have such a list.

Eighteen Days Ago
I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out forthe Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation— hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Kelevmor used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

Seventeen Days Ago
Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

spacer.pngGalena (Winter)

Hit PointsCurrent Total: 8/8

Hit Dice: 1d8
| Attacks/DefensesDagger: +5 vs. AC, 1d4+3 piercing, Melee OR Ranged (20/60)

Armor Class: 14

Saves: Wisdom +4, Charisma +5
>> Advantage on Saves vs. Charm, immune to magical sleep effects.
| Skills+5 Deception
+5 Intimidation
+4 Perception
+5 Sleight-of-Hand
+5 Stealth
| SpellsSpellcasting Ability: Charisma (+3)
Save DC: 13
Spell Attack: +5

=========
CANTRIPS
Eldritch Blast (Action, 120')
>> +5 vs. AC, deals 1d10 Force damage on a hit.

Mind Sliver (Action, 60')
>> DC 13 Int, deals 1d6 Psychic damage on a fail, and the target subtracts 1d4 from its next saving throw before end of Galena's next turn.
=========
SPELLS KNOWN
Cause Fear (Action, 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Wis, Target becomes Frightened of Galena for the duration. Target may repeat save at the end of each of its turns, ending the spell on a success.

Faerie Fire (Action, 20' cube within 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Dex, Targets shed dim light for 10', any attack roll against affected creatures are made at Advantage.

Hex (Bonus Action, 90', Concentration, 1 Hour)
>> Galena deals an extra 1d6 Necrotic damage whenever she hits the target with an attack.

Sleep (Action, 20' sphere within 90', 1 Minute)
>> Renders 5d8 hit points' worth of targets unconscious, in ascending order of total HP remaining. Targets remain unconscious for the duration, or until they take damage, or someone uses an Action to wake them.
=========
| Other AbilitiesDarkvision 60'

Fey Presence 1/1 (Action, 10' Burst) (Per rest)
>> DC 13 Wis, Affected targets are Charmed or Frightened until the end of Galena's next turn.

Fey Step 1/1 (Bonus Action) (Per Rest)
>> Teleport up to 30' to an unoccupied space Galena can see.

"Architecture," she mutters, and gives her head a small shaking. Petros would not have raised his child a fool. Then again, love makes a fool of anyone, in good ways and bad. Her thoughts, her suspicions, turn to the young gentlemen, but only for a moment. Things-which-may are not always things-which-are.

She listens as the Dwarfling reads. Undeath. The greatest sin in a land such as Ravenloft, and thus the greatest source of power. It makes sense, yes, that the village folk would suspect Petros. They see him at Harrowstone, they see signs of necromancy, and things-which-may become things-which-are in their eyes.

But Petros provides, as ever, the means to deal with such things.

"Galena knows of ways and whispers, but no Whispering Ways," she notes, her hands fidgeting under her cloak. "Such things in the other books?"

AttacksLight crossbow +4 ( 80/320) 1d8+2 p Dagger x 2 +4 (20/60) 1d4+2 p   | SavesStr -1 | Dex +2 | Con +4 | Wis -1 | Int +0 | Cha +5;  | CantripsFire bolt | Create Bonfire | Control flames | Prestidigitation  | 1st Level SpellsBurning hands | Shield 2/2

Tal's face has gone dark. "So. The Professor's death was not an accident." His voice is cold. "It was a monster, or else these Whispering Way people. Has anyone heard of them? What's the deal with the place he was looking at anyway?"

spacer.png

Mending
Sacred Flame
Shield of Faith (Domain)
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
2/2 | War PriestWhen you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest. 3/3

Let's not be hasty and jump to conclusions. Miss Lorrimor is certain it was an accident. As my uncle Brolun always said: Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

He stopped to think a little before continuing. It could be just an unfortunate accident, but they had a reason and the means to deal with Mr. Lorrimor. No doubt necromancy could provoke the necessary decaying for a building to collapse.

He stopped again to collect his thoughts and take a long sip from his beverage. We need to investigate this matter further. His eyes sparkled when saying the last part. It is a war against evil.  

OxZVwMj.png.37c995819f6e33e29ea4d927b362ac85.png

Katrina Volshebnika - Tabaxi Wizard 1 AC16Mage Armor for 8 hours | HP: 8/8

AttacksClaws (Melee) +1 attack, 1d6-1 slashing damage
Chill Touch (120ft) +5 attack, 1d8 Necrotic damage
Shocking Grasp(Melee) +5 attack, 1d8 Lightning damage
 | SavesStr -1 | Dex +3 | Con +2 | Wis +3 | Int +5 | Cha -1  | CantripsPrestidigitation, Light, Sacred Flame, Chill Touch, Shocking Grasp  | 1st Level SpellsGuiding Bolt, Mage Armor, Sleep, Shield

Rituals:
Detect Magic, Find Familiar
  | Arcane RecoveryYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Her hair had been standing on end for some time, her tail lashing and claws twitching to snatch the journal as others slowly read through it.  Now they were jumping to some conclusions, though it was hard not to given what they had just found.  "Didn't you just say not to jump to conclusions Mr. War against evil?" She sighed as she reviewed the journal herself, her tension somewhat easing now that the text was in her possession. "I have no reason to doubt the professor's words, though I do know that even the wisest of men can be mistaken.  To summarize this quickly" She paused to raise a finger and gave a wink to Galena.

"One, The Whispering Way appears to be a group or cult of necromancers." She raised a second finger.

"Two, they were seeking someone at the Harrowstone." She raised a third finger.

"Three, the temple of Kelevor has a list of people who died during fire that provided the professor more information" She raised a fourth finger.

"Four, there are runes he began to transcribe that may have some meaning" She then closed her fist.

"I agree that we should investigate.  We should follow the path he did so we don't just run headlong into trouble, and with more eyes we may spot things he missed.  I suggest we see if we can find his incomplete transcriptions the Harrowstone runes.  We then go to the temple and review the same lists that he did and see if we can find runic scholars there." The kitty scholar couldn't help but grin impishly.  A true mystery was something she could never resist.  So, without further ado, her soft furry fingers began quickly flipping through the books and her cat-eyes glowing in the candlelight as they darted about the pages.  She was looking for transcriptions, runes and keywords: whispering way, necromancy and Harrowstone.

Mechanics

Mage Armor Still on...

Name
religion
1d20+5 8

spacer.png

Mending
Sacred Flame
Shield of Faith (Domain)
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt

Dolin looked dumbfounded looking at the tabaxi. He didn't understand her point. What hasty conclusions he had made? He couldn't be certain.

He did't know if it was an accident or foul play, that would definitively require a investigation, but in Dolin's opinion, a good necromancer was a dead necromancer. If Petros said they should be dealt with, he was satisfied of the matter and they should be dealt with. Those two facts were two different things in his mind. Their guilt and the fact that they were evil necromancers were two different facts, and independently of their guilt, they should be slayed. The living would be grateful, the good people of Ravengro would be joyful and even the dead would be thankful of resting in peace.

Dolin only looked at her confused and articulated the perfect sentence that summarized his inner feelings. Huh?

| SavesStr -1 | Dex +3 | Con +2 | Wis +3 | Int +5 | Cha -1  | CantripsPrestidigitation, Light, Sacred Flame, Chill Touch, Shocking Grasp  | 1st Level SpellsGuiding Bolt, Mage Armor, Sleep, Shield

Rituals:
  | Arcane RecoveryYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

She briefly raised her eyes from the book to look at the dumbfounded dwarf and froze.  Confident a moment ago she buried herself in the books, certain that she'd made a mistake in speaking up.  How could she explain that making this a conceptual war based on divine morality lacked sufficient specificity to course correct whatever erroneous actions the professor had succumbed to?  Whether by fate, fiend or foley, their dear late Petros had passed at Harrowstone, simply walking there without further investigation... the tiny tabaxi shook her head, these thoughts were not conducive to research! She'd already turned several pages while lost in thought, so she flipped back and perused them again.

"I would like to do research...  the Temple as well as the Eversleep crypt should be investigated...  If there is a danger from collapse or such structural dangers at Harrowstone, then they will be worse for the downpour.  Best we wait a day or so for the weather to clear... no?"

Mechanics

Mage Armor Still on...

"Sounds like the Professor already found the list, as well as the items he needed for protection." He turns to Kendra. "Did you see any such items in the house? Can we poke around for them?"

OoC

Katrina is making a researching attempt this information will take a while to retrieve as you are using the library in order to help your attempt. 

• The Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years.
  • Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer.

You could attempt to research more but it would take a shift of time, roughly most of the day. But you know there is still more to figure out about the Whispering Way. 

Everyone gains 30 EXP each for what they discovered so far.

Tal, when you turn to look at Kendra it seemed she had already departed although you recall it seemed that there was still items left in the crypt. That being said you have full free reign currently. 

Flipping through the tomes this is what you would all discover:

Purple Book: The book’s covers are rimmed in polished steel and clasped with a small but intricate lock, the keyhole of which appears to be for a key with a strange, triangular shaft. 

On Verified Madness: This jet-black book is a treatise on aberrations and other entities found on Golarion that possess remote ties to the Dark Tapestry, the name given to the dark places between the stars in the night sky.

Serving Your Hunger: This text is a copy of one of several unholy books sacred to the goddess Urgathoa. Lorrimor’s notations liberally sprinkle the margins.

The Umbral Leaves: This lexicon is a translation into Common of the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon.

Edited by Orpheus (see edit history)

spacer.pngGalena (Winter)

Hit PointsCurrent Total: 8/8

Hit Dice: 1d8
| Attacks/DefensesDagger: +5 vs. AC, 1d4+3 piercing, Melee OR Ranged (20/60)

Armor Class: 14

Saves: Wisdom +4, Charisma +5
>> Advantage on Saves vs. Charm, immune to magical sleep effects.
| Skills+5 Deception
+5 Intimidation
+4 Perception
+5 Sleight-of-Hand
+5 Stealth
| SpellsSpellcasting Ability: Charisma (+3)
Save DC: 13
Spell Attack: +5

=========
CANTRIPS
Eldritch Blast (Action, 120')
>> +5 vs. AC, deals 1d10 Force damage on a hit.

Mind Sliver (Action, 60')
>> DC 13 Int, deals 1d6 Psychic damage on a fail, and the target subtracts 1d4 from its next saving throw before end of Galena's next turn.
=========
SPELLS KNOWN
Cause Fear (Action, 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Wis, Target becomes Frightened of Galena for the duration. Target may repeat save at the end of each of its turns, ending the spell on a success.

Faerie Fire (Action, 20' cube within 60', Concentration, 1 Minute)
>> DC 13 Dex, Targets shed dim light for 10', any attack roll against affected creatures are made at Advantage.

Hex (Bonus Action, 90', Concentration, 1 Hour)
>> Galena deals an extra 1d6 Necrotic damage whenever she hits the target with an attack.

Sleep (Action, 20' sphere within 90', 1 Minute)
>> Renders 5d8 hit points' worth of targets unconscious, in ascending order of total HP remaining. Targets remain unconscious for the duration, or until they take damage, or someone uses an Action to wake them.
=========
| Other AbilitiesDarkvision 60'

Fey Presence 1/1 (Action, 10' Burst) (Per rest)
>> DC 13 Wis, Affected targets are Charmed or Frightened until the end of Galena's next turn.

Fey Step 1/1 (Bonus Action) (Per Rest)
>> Teleport up to 30' to an unoccupied space Galena can see.

"Many dark things," murmurs she, upon inspecting the other tomes. In truth, books are not her strength, no. Always more about intuition than knowledge, for better and worse. Others here are more suited to such things, and she leaves them be.

"Galena sees to matters," she offers quietly to the others, before making her leave. Back through the rain she travels to Ravengro, to the square, yes. Here, she does things. She stands outside the shops, gazing in through the windows for a short time as she notes where to get what. She inspects one of the 'posting poles' to note who needs what.

Finally, she settles down near the Outward Inn, yes, and proceeds to watch. She watches for the Gibbs. She watches for others who were with him on the road, seeking to learn their names. Most importantly, however, she seeks that which they desire, things which coin might procure. She has no use for so much coin herself, but she knows a use for it all the same. To merely offer the coin in exchange for goodwill seems too much a bribe, so she will watch, and listen, and learn their needs. She will show care for their fears, care for who they are, and kindness will beget kindness, even in this dreary place, yes?

Name
Investigation
1d20 2

Name: Tal Dathrīm  | AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Hit dice: 1/1d6 | XP: 90

"Maybe he found the name on the list and left it there. You are right, to Kelevor it is. It's one thing to bury a friend. It's another to find out he died fighting some other gang. It's gotta be set straight."

spacer.png

Mending
Sacred Flame
Shield of Faith (Domain)
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt

I am tired. I traveled many hours today and a lot in the past week to reach this place. Dolin said brandishing his cup and turning to leave the room. Today I will mourn and honor the dead. Tomorrow will be a new day. And we should scrutinize these books carefully and pay a visit to the temple of Kelevmor.

That said he left the room and returned to the main room.

Religion CheckTo know more about the temple of Kelevmor or its religion.

Name
Religion
1d20+2 10

Rituals:

Leaning forward, Katrina stretches her arms and while arching her back, then curled around the books.  Resting on her side with her head propped up by a hand, she looked up at the flame mage.  "I would be inclined to visiting the temple of Kelemvor too Tal.  I know my way around their texts well, though you do seem to have an easier way with people than me, so... it would help.  It is late though, maybe we can go tomorrow?" She shimied slightly, somehow melting into a impossibly comfortable position amongst the scattered tomes.  Her interest in delay was two-fold, one it was late and it may not make the best of impressions for the strange strangers who confronted the anti-necromancy party to start digging into necromantic cults in the night, two... she was cozy and it was miserable outside, rain was best for being covered up indoors.  "Could you get me a blanket?" She asked with a purr.

Mechanics

Mage Armor Still on...