Chapter 1: Death House

Gregorotto

Altar.png.2e08e48c4c951ce7a2942cf41b11fbaf.png  Altaïr Abd al-Aziz | HP: 5/12 | AC: 18 | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11

IC

Altaïr was among the belief that if given a cheating hand and played like a fittle it was best to lay the cards on the table. They can rob you of everything, but diginty and a sense of self - preservation should be the line to hold fast. At least, in the paladin's opinion as he keeled over from the spirits soul sucking grasp on his chest cavity. The armor provided useless protection, nothing held back the demented poltergeist grip onto his sternum from reaching below, past the iron, past the layer of flesh, and took hold of something most precious — a piece of his life source. The lights grew deem in his eyes, fading out in spots as its grip finally left him and was layed to rest at the final ear piercing hit from Joliet's 'not-wand'. 

It may not be magical, but it surely had a flare in taking out threats quick, Altaïr considered, dropping onto his knees with a heavy thud and trying to find breath again. He knew something was missing, a piece of himself gone like a candle stick struggling to maintain its light. Turning his head in a snap at the sudden touch, the fading golden hues looked upon Giselle at first, as a stranger — aren't they all? The paladin did not know any of them, nor the land the find themselves in. He, himself, was a stranger in strang lands, again, just this time without the repor of his father approval to the hands taking over his son's life. These were his choices, now being played out in matters outside of his abilities. The comforting prayer offered from his senior alleviated the pain to a degree, but his resolve was an entirely different converstation — one to which prayer was not within his interest to include. 

He was done with the affairs of this house, and done with playing on children's wants. Let Helm judge him, by the fates Altaïr was assured both the god and the strings of fate were playing another a game he refused to entertain. A small nod of thanks was offered to Giselle, but when he found the strength to stand and heard the babes wails did Altaïr give his interjection to Dynaheir moving to trade places with him with a hand held up. 

"No, there is no babe in there but another damn trick, Dyna. If we go in there, we will be playing a fools errand, and I dare not risk to be played as such for a third time this night. This house is demanted, along with the lands itself surrounding it. You admit these ghosts are clever? Well, let us not play into their games, as from the start nothing about this was right, and I am quite full on letting this go on."

OOC

Dyna can still move pass as Altair is not stopping her action but injecting in converstation. He's just a tad grumpy after being soul sucked. 😂

Edited by Mamori23 (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20-1 15

JZlpFWZ.png

Joliet

HP:   12/12

AC:   14

Init:  +3

PP:   13

FeaturesSecond Wind: 0/1
Languages: Common, Paridon Creole

ConditionNormal

Ammo◦◦⁍⁍⁍⁍

IC

Joliet affixes her hat back on her head, which allows her nod to Altaïr to carry a bit of extra oomph"Sure we been tricked. And sure there's a good chance that babe wailin' is somethin' other than a babe. All one big trap, yeah?" she agrees.

"Could put it all behind us, if we're sure it ain't gonna chase us down. But then we leave the trap set for the next poor sod to wander through. To my mind, seems best to spring the trap, bust it to pieces, and leave its hunters hungry. Seein' as how we're already here and all," she says, leaning nonchalant against the wall despite the coating of ectoplasm still dripping down the fade wallpaper.

OOC

Move:  Following Dyna, or whoever leads the way.

Action:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Reaction:  n/a

Quick Stats

HP:   3/11

AC:   13 (no shield)

Init:  -1

Spell Slots: 0/2

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Command, Cure Wounds, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith

Conditions:

No Baby, No Cry

"It is clear that nobody has been living up here for quite some time. No baby would survive this." It is one of those statements that leaves a rock in your chest as you say it. The children outside were either lying or somehow themselves tricked by whatever evil was lingering here. It didn't matter which, the end result is still them trapped in a house with malevolent forces intent on harm. Sulimann stands back as the others move around the room in search of answers, watching the mirror pop open at Shazzar's efforts. How many secret passages does one house need? Altair's grumbling brings a nod from him, as he both agrees with the sentiment and understands where it is coming from.

"If this is a trap, we're already in it. Best we can hope for is to limit the damage." He steps away from the door to let the others pass, grimacing at the sparks of pain in his side where the armored gauntlet had struck him. Better that than whatever the ghost woman had done to Altair, though. Falling into the middle of the pack, he keeps pace with the others as they move. Rolling his shoulders, he keeps the chain wrapped tight around his right hand and his eyes on the room around them.

"I've got maybe one more ghost brawl in me before I have to take a break. I'd prefer not to, though." Whatever is pulling the strings in this place. it has animated constructs and vengeful spirits in its grip. Gods above only know what other horrors might await them around the next corner. He gives a nod to Dyna as she steps to the front, ready to test their luck on yet another door.

Name
Initiative
1d20-1 17

VWz6kfK.png

Giselle the Drowned

HP:   11/11  |   AC:   17  |   Init:  +3  |  PP:   11  |  Lay on Hands: 2/5

Features

Divine Sense PHB, pg. 84
As an action, you can detect good and evil. Until the end of your next turn, you can sense anything affected by the hallow spell or know the location of any celestial, fiend, undead within 60 ft. that is not behind total cover. You can use this feature 4 times per long rest. 2/4

Lay on Hands PHB, pg. 84
You have a pool of healing power that can restore 5 HP per long rest. As an action, you can touch a creature to restore any number of HP remaining in the pool, or 5 HP to either cure a disease or neutralize a poison affecting the creature. 2/5

Traits

Darkvision BR, pg. 39
You can see in darkness (shades of gray) up to 60 ft.

Fey Ancestry BR, pg. 39
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Spells

None

IC

The others echoed Giselle's doubts as to whether they should even be in the house at the first place.  Assessing Sulimann's condition made their situation even more dire.

"I am not sure we should move on; this man may die, should we face further darkness.  I will go forward if that is what we decide, I am happy to lead the van.  But Sulimann needs a healer, more than my own meager skills can provide."  She glanced at her hands, then busied them cleaning her rapier and moving to the front of the group.  "What say you?"

OOC

Move: To the front of the group.

Bonus Action: None.

Actions:  None.

Item Interaction:  Rapier at the ready.

Dynaheir trusts her friends. But she trusts her raising, too.

Hand on the handle, she hears from everyone. Altaïr, Joliet, Sulimann, and then Giselle all agree: whatever is crying, it is no baby.

Yet she must butt-kick for goodness, and sometimes common sense must be ignored in the name of making sure. So Dynaheir, throwing caution to the wind but ready for steel-on-steel, enters the nursery, for what is what the room is.

Dusty and decrepit, the only thing in this room is a crib, dark wood marked with cobwebs and a simple mattress underneath which is a sheet, dark in color, a white blanket with blue stripes upon it, the emblem of the House of Durst upon it, the windmill turning but aged, dirty. The bundle of joy cries and continues, rocking back and forth, and though not motherly, Dynaheir's tribal instincts kick in and she goes to the child, ready to help anyone. Unbundling the child, ready to see what it is, she completely unswaddles the baby.

Revealing inside nothing.

Nothing at all.

The cries stop, and in their place, footsteps on the stairs near Sulimann: he hears them, and catches something out of the corner of his eyes, but nothing, and then, giggles: two sets of laughing voices, belonging to children. The girl's giggle comes from upstairs; the boy's comes from downstairs.

One of them, no one can be sure, whispers:

"Welcome home."

Out of Character

spacer.png

Moved us along so we didn't get all dramatic with it. Apologies, Kavonde, if Dynaheir wouldn't have done this, I'll happily revise it if you like.

Dynaheir-120x150.png

DYNAHEIR | HP 7/15 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12

"I do not wish to hurt a child, but I am beginning to understand why some people would." Dynaheir sighs and looks back at the others, giving an apologetic shrug. "My friends, I am not an expert on ghosts and spirits, unless they are generally friendly animal spirits who protect your potato garden if you leave sweets out for them, but I think we are dealing with some not-so-friendly spirits who need to be taught how to properly treat heroes who are trying to help them. I also think that, if Valter even exists, he is not actually in need to rescue. So I would like to sit and rest for awhile, because I am very tired and I think most of my torso is now a bruise."

QtxOs22.png

Shazzar | The Wizard

"Yes, it does seem like you have taken quite a beating," Shazzar says in a fatherly tone as he looks specifically at Sulimann and Dynaheir. "Maybe it is best that we take a breather here. We might also use the time to regroup and get our bearings. After all, we've had several revelations now, and our purpose here has changed verily."

spacer.png

The old wizard snaps his fingers and a small vortex of air forms just over his right shoulderThe familiar has already been cast before the start of the adventure. Shazzar is now just summoning her from the pocket dimension where she typically stays.. Then, that vortex bursts in a cloud of wispy, white smoke. That small cloud quickly dissipates, revealing an owl with silvery-white plumage and unusual markings on its face. The owl casually regards everyone in the room, its head cocking and turning in odd angles, before cooing as it faces the wizard.

"This is Narra, a fey spirit who has become my friend," Shazzar introduces the owl. "When she comes to this realm, she manifests as an owl."

Then, he addresses the owl. "Narra, these are friends. We are in this... haunted mansion and I need your help in keeping watch for dangers. I know your hearing and vision are keenHer Passive Perception is 13, With advantage on hearing and seeing, that Passive Perception goes up to 18 when using those senses., my friend - I'm hoping that you might detect dangers before we do and alert us accordingly."

The owl gives an uncharacteristically human-like nod and takes perch near the ceiling so that she has a great vantage in watching the room, and near the door so she can hear incoming threats.

Stat Block

Belshazzar "Shazzar" Zidon

Male Human Cloistered-Scholar Wizard 1

hp 8/8 ▪ AC 15 (Mage Armor) ▪ Speed 30 ft

HD 1d6 ▪ Proficiency +2 ▪ Initiative +2 ▪ Senses Passive Perception 11

STR 10 (+0) ▪ DEX 14 (+2) ▪ CON 14 (+2) ▪ INT 16 (+3) ▪ WIS 12 (+1) ▪ CHA 8 (-1)

Saves Intelligence +5, Wisdom +3

Skills Arcana +5, History +5, Insight +3, Investigation +5

Languages Common, Draconic, Elvish, Infernal

Features Arcane Recovery♦ Arcane Recovery ♦
You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day, when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.
(1/1 use), Library Access♦ Library Access ♦
Though others must often endure extensive interviews and significant fees to gain access to even the most common archives in your library, you have free and easy access to the majority of the library, though it might also have repositories of lore that are too valuable, magical, or secret to permit anyone immediate access.

You have a working knowledge of your cloister's personnel and bureaucracy, and you know how to navigate those connections with some ease.

Additionally, you are likely to gain preferential treatment at other libraries across the Realms, as professional courtesy shown to a fellow scholar.
, Magic Initiate (Druid)♦ Magic Initiate (Druid) ♦
Choose a class: Druid. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class's spell list: Guidance, Produce Flame

In addition, choose one 1st-level spell to learn from that same list: Goodberry. Using this feat, you can cast the spell once at its lowest level, and you must finish a long rest before you can cast it in this way again.

Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the class you chose: Wisdom for Druid.
, Ritual Casting♦ Ritual Casting ♦
You can cast a Wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
, Spellbook♦ Spellbook ♦
At 1st level, you have a spellbook containing six 1st-level wizard spells of your choice. Your spellbook is the repository of the wizard spells you know, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.

The spells that you add to your spellbook as you gain levels reflect the arcane research you conduct on your own, as well as intellectual breakthroughs you have had about the nature of the multiverse. You might find other spells during your adventures. You could discover a spell recorded on a scroll in an evil wizard’s chest, for example, or in a dusty tome in an ancient library.

♦ Copying a Spell into the Book ♦
When you find a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is of a spell level you can prepare and if you can spare the time to decipher and copy it.

Copying that spell into your spellbook involves reproducing the basic form of the spell, then deciphering the unique system of notation used by the wizard who wrote it. You must practice the spell until you understand the sounds or gestures required, then transcribe it into your spellbook using your own notation.

For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells.

♦ Replacing the Book ♦
You can copy a spell from your own spellbook into another book—for example, if you want to make a backup copy of your spellbook. This is just like copying a new spell into your spellbook, but faster and easier, since you understand your own notation and already know how to cast the spell. You need spend only 1 hour and 10 gp for each level of the copied spell.

If you lose your spellbook, you can use the same procedure to transcribe the spells that you have prepared into a new spellbook. Filling out the remainder of your spellbook requires you to find new spells to do so, as normal. For this reason, many wizards keep backup spellbooks in a safe place.

♦ The Book’s Appearance ♦
Your spellbook is a unique compilation of spells, with its own decorative flourishes and margin notes. It might be a plain, functional leather volume that you received as a gift from your master, a finely bound gilt-edged tome you found in an ancient library, or even a loose collection of notes scrounged together after you lost your previous spellbook in a mishap.

Attacks

▬ Dagger: Melee | +4 to hit | 1d4+2 piercing damage | finesse, light, thrown 20/40

▬ Produce Flame: Ranged 30 | +3 to hit | 1d8 fire damage

Spellcasting: Wizard | Spell Save DC 13, Spell Attack +5

▬ CantripsMage HandConjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Target: A point you choose within range
Components: V S
Duration: 1 minute

A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.
You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.
The hand can’t attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.

Flavor:
"Apókryfo chéri"
The spectral hand seems to be made of bluish, wispy smoke. It is in the shape of Shazzar's wife's hand, as he remembers it, complete with the wedding band.
Mind SliverEnchantment
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: 1 round

You drive a disorienting spike of psychic energy into the mind of one creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw or take 1d6 psychic damage and subtract 1d4 from the next saving throw it makes before the end of your next turn.

At Higher Levels:
This spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach certain levels: 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Flavor:
"Spáse to myaló sou"
PrestidigitationTransmutation
Range: 10 feet
Target: See text
Duration: Up to 1 hour

This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

♦ You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
♦ You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
♦ You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
♦ You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
♦ You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
♦ You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Flavor:
"Mageía"

▬ 1st (1/2 slots): Comprehend LanguagesDivination (Ritual)
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Duration: 1 hour

For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text.

This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.

Flavor:
"Gnorízei óles tis glósses"
®, *Detect MagicDivination (Ritual)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Flavor:
"Epitrépste mou na do apókryfes ávres"
For the duration of the spell, Shazzar's eyes turn into black, obsidian-like orbs that glow faintly with a pale-blue light.
©®, Find FamiliarConjuration (Ritual)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: An unoccupied space within range
Components: V S M (10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs that must be consumed by fire in a brass brazier)
Duration: Instantaneous

You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. A familiar can’t attack, but it can take other actions as normal.

When the familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again

While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar’s eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.

You can’t have more than one familiar at a time. If you cast this spell while you already have a familiar, you instead cause it to adopt a new form. Choose one of the forms from the above list. Your familiar transforms into the chosen creature.

Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.

Flavor:
"Akoúste to kálesmá mou, kollitós mou fíle"
At the final stage of the spell, the fire turns a brilliant blue, and it is from this blue fire that the familiar explodes out of, extinguishing the fire at the same time.
®, *Feather FallTransmutation
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you or a creature within 60 feet of you falls
Target: Up to five falling creatures within range
Components: V M (A small feather or piece of down)

Choose up to five falling creatures within range. A falling creature’s rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the spell ends, it takes no falling damage and can land on its feet, and the spell ends for that creature.

Flavor:
"Sýllipsi"
A magic circle that is about 1 foot across appears in the air, over the target's head. It would seem that an invisible energy is emanating from this circle to pull the target up, slowing their descent.
, *Mage ArmorAbjuration
Range: Touch
Target: A willing creature who isn't wearing armor
Components: V S M (A piece of cured leather)
Duration: 8 hours

You touch a willing creature who isn’t wearing armor, and a protective magical force surrounds it until the spell ends. The target’s base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier. The spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.

Flavor:
"Panoplía tou apókryfou"
Faintly-glowing pale-blue lines that form a continuous, geometric pattern appear on Shazzar's clothing. Whenever objects impact against him with considerable force, those lines flash mildly.
, *Magic MissileEvocation
Range: 120 feet
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range

You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.

At Higher Levels:
When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot above 1st.

Flavor:
"Apókryfa véli"
Several fist-sized magic circles appear in the air around Shazzar, and darts of bluish energy shoot out of each one toward his targets.

Spellcasting: Magic Initiate (Druid) | Spell Save DC 11, Spell Attack +3

▬ CantripsGuidanceDivination
Target: One willing creature
Duration: Up to 1 minute

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

Flavor:
"Eíthe to Oghma na sas kathodigísei"
The target feels a comforting warmth spread throughout their body, radiating Shazzar's hand.
Produce FlameConjuration
Target: Self or a creature within 30 feet of you
Duration: 10 minutes

A flickering flame appears in your hand. The flame remains there for the duration and harms neither you nor your equipment. The flame sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet. The spell ends if you dismiss it as an action or if you cast it again.

You can also attack with the flame, although doing so ends the spell. When you cast this spell, or as an action on a later turn, you can hurl the flame at a creature within 30 feet of you. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 fire damage.

At Higher Levels:
This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Flavor:
"Apó to típota, fotiá"
The flickering flame is a pale blue in color and takes on a teardrop shape.

▬ 1st (1/1 use): GoodberryTransmutation
Components: V S M (A sprig of mistletoe)

Up to ten berries appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its action to eat one berry. Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day.

The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of this spell.

Flavor:
"Threptiká moúra"
The berries are perfect orbs in shape and have a perfect sheen to them.

Equipment Spellbook, staff (arcane focus), scholar's robes, dagger, writing kit, borrowed book (Elminster's Treatise On The Arcane), belt pouch, backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 4 torches, 5 rations, waterskin, 50 ft of hemp rope, 12 gp, 5 sp, 5 cp

Narra | The Familiar

spacer.pngOwl (Tiny Fey)

hp 1/1 ▪ AC 11 (Unarmored) ▪ Speed 5 ft, fly 60 ft.

HD 1d4 ▪ Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 13 (18 if hearing or seeing)

STR 3 (-4) ▪ DEX 13 (+1) ▪ CON 8 (-1) ▪ INT 2 (-4) ▪ WIS 12 (+1) ▪ CHA 7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3 (advantage if hearing or seeing), Stealth +3

Features FlybyThe owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.Keen Hearing & SightThe owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing and sight.Deliver Touch SpellsWhen you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its Reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an Attack roll, you use your Attack modifier for the roll.Link With MasterWhile your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an Action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any Special Senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own Senses.Pocket DimensionAs an Action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an Action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.

֎ ֎ ֎

JZlpFWZ.png

Joliet

HP:   12/12

AC:   14

Init:  +3

FeaturesSecond Wind: 1/1
Languages: Common, Paridon Creole

ConditionNormal

Ammo⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍

IC

Joliet cranes her neck to see past Dynaheir's bulk and into the empty crib. When the barbarian woman steps aside, Joliet moves closer and probes the tussled blankets with the business end of her revolver. Having confirmed for herself with her own eyes, she nods along with the sentiments being expressed"Least it didn't attack us. Havin' never fought a baby before, that's one mark I'm happy to leave off my tally.

"A bit less hesitant on puttin' down those two tykes, should they happen to turn monstrous," she adds, hearing the children laugh and whisper their welcome. She then shouts out into the hallway, "That's right! It's our home now, you two-faced feckless fibbers! And we aim to do a bit of pest control before we settle in!" Joliet punctuates her statement with a slam of the door leading to the third floor landing.

Marching back into the adjoining room, she takes hold of the crib and drags it noisily across the floor and back into the main bedroom. She positions it close to the door and flips it unceremoniously, kicking it into place to block the way in. She then walks to the window opposite and opens it. She surveys the ground outside, then affixes her rope to the leg of the nearby bed. She leaves the coil by the window, ready to be tossed out should they need an alternate escape. She then seats herself just below the window, back to the wall, facing the crudely-barricaded door. She removes the two spent cartridges from her gun and reloads, snapping the cylinder closed and then training the weapon on the door.

OOC

Move:  n/a

Action:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Reaction:  n/a

VWz6kfK.png

Giselle the Drowned

Features

Divine Sense PHB, pg. 84
As an action, you can detect good and evil. Until the end of your next turn, you can sense anything affected by the hallow spell or know the location of any celestial, fiend, undead within 60 ft. that is not behind total cover. You can use this feature 4 times per long rest. 2/4

Lay on Hands PHB, pg. 84
You have a pool of healing power that can restore 5 HP per long rest. As an action, you can touch a creature to restore any number of HP remaining in the pool, or 5 HP to either cure a disease or neutralize a poison affecting the creature. 2/5

Traits

Darkvision BR, pg. 39

Fey Ancestry BR, pg. 39
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Spells

None

IC

Giselle heard the groan Dynaheir made as she turned to face the group.  She saw the ginger way Sulimann moved, as if he could be knocked down fairly easily.  We are not in good shape to continue at the moment. This room seems defensible, and here she glances at the preparations Joliet has made, and it has an egress.

The paladin perks up at Shazzar's spellcasting.  She spoke up to the fae.  "Suilad Narra, im thír cin. Im laug -o cín mud- na ammen in hi anand -o naur." She looks over to the wizard.  "Can she scout the area for us?  I know these types of fae, they are extremely useful.  It warms my heart you have called her to us."

Giselle then addresses the others.  "Should we take the opportunity for a small rest?  More than one of us can use the time; we need to take care.  I think this place is far more dangerous than we first thought.  I can keep watch."

OOC

Move: Take up a position to guard the door.

Actions:  Speak to Narra in Sylvan. "Greetings Narra, I am happy for your help in this time of danger."

Quick Stats

HP:   11/11

AC:   15

Init:  -1

Spell Slots: 0/2

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Command, Cure Wounds, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith

Conditions:

No Baby, No Cry

As the others settle in for a brief respite, Sulimann picks a corner of the room to put his back to. Dumping the pack off his shoulder and setting the crossbow nearby, he watches Narra's sudden appearance with silent concern. More magic, more strangeness. The whole thing is tolerable, if unsettling, because Shazzar is at least pointing his magics at their enemies. He does his best to put the ache in his muscles out of his mind, still ruminating on Giselle's earlier comment about his condition. His younger self would have balked at the suggestion that he couldn't power through the way he had to in the arena but age and the lasting effects of his injuries have humbled him in recent years. Rummaging through the pack, he finds a cloth wrap of dried meat and nuts and picks at it a bit before offering some to the others.

"If we had a stove in here I'd cook up something proper. A warm meal goes a long way toward a fighting spirit." He rewraps the rations once everyone had accepted or refused the offer, tucking them away and coming out again with a mouth harp. Given all the noise they'd made up to this point, and the way they've secured the room, he find no cause to be silent now. A few practice notes and then he launches into a low, mournful sort of tune that the reedy tones of the harmonica compliment. Once his mouth has gone dry and his that ache has set into his jaw, he tucks the instrument away and turns to Giselle.

"You asked earlier about Eldath. The Green Goddess is not widely known and less-widely worshipped, but I would be happy to tell you more about my faith." If she approves, he takes a seat near her and begins to cover the main aspects of his faith. The core of pacifism and promoting the general welfare is clear, though small comments hint at the conflict of his upbrining. Things like 'if a fight must happen, end it quickly and definitively' speak to his slave-gladiator past. "I still wrestle with the idea that everyone deserves mercy. It is the main reason I left Thay. I couldn't look at a red wizard, knowing what they do to those they deem beneath them, and not feel the anger guiding my actions." His smile is not exactly a comforting thing, all fang-mawed and tusky, but his eyes shine with calm. "I guess I'm on a bit of a pilgrimage to...I don't know...find my center?"

Edited by DoNotFearToTread (see edit history)
Name
Hit Dice for Short Rest
1d8+2 7

QtxOs22.png

Shazzar | The Wizard

After Giselle tries to speak to the owl in an unfamiliar language, the owl merely responds with a curious look. "I must apologize, ser," Shazzar explains. "The magic that allows my dear friend Narra to assume this corporeal form here, in the Prime Material, robs her of many of her natural abilities. One of those is the ability to understand languages as we know them. She and I share a special bond that allows us to communicate through the power of thought alone, but to everyone else, she comprehends languages as most owls do."

The old wizard then glances hesitantly toward the door. "Yes, she might do some scouting, but I fear the many corners and the tight confines of this cursed manor. In the wilderness, she can certainly fly far and high to gain a very good view of the path ahead, all without endangering herself so much. Not so in this case, I'm afraid, what with the very decorations seemingly capable of harming us. I can ask her to perhaps scout the next room or two, but I don't think I'm comfortable with having her scout an entire floor by herself."

Still, the fey-owl coos and fondly gazes at the paladin. Though she does not understand Giselle's, Narra gets a sense of familiarity or some kind of subliminal recognition of the unusual language that she's used, and the owl feels comforted by it nonetheless.

Stat Block

Belshazzar "Shazzar" Zidon

Male Human Cloistered-Scholar Wizard 1

hp 8/8 ▪ AC 15 (Mage Armor) ▪ Speed 30 ft

HD 1d6 ▪ Proficiency +2 ▪ Initiative +2 ▪ Senses Passive Perception 11

STR 10 (+0) ▪ DEX 14 (+2) ▪ CON 14 (+2) ▪ INT 16 (+3) ▪ WIS 12 (+1) ▪ CHA 8 (-1)

Saves Intelligence +5, Wisdom +3

Skills Arcana +5, History +5, Insight +3, Investigation +5

Languages Common, Draconic, Elvish, Infernal

Features Arcane Recovery♦ Arcane Recovery ♦
You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day, when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.
(1/1 use), Library Access♦ Library Access ♦
Though others must often endure extensive interviews and significant fees to gain access to even the most common archives in your library, you have free and easy access to the majority of the library, though it might also have repositories of lore that are too valuable, magical, or secret to permit anyone immediate access.

You have a working knowledge of your cloister's personnel and bureaucracy, and you know how to navigate those connections with some ease.

Additionally, you are likely to gain preferential treatment at other libraries across the Realms, as professional courtesy shown to a fellow scholar.
, Magic Initiate (Druid)♦ Magic Initiate (Druid) ♦
Choose a class: Druid. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class's spell list: Guidance, Produce Flame

In addition, choose one 1st-level spell to learn from that same list: Goodberry. Using this feat, you can cast the spell once at its lowest level, and you must finish a long rest before you can cast it in this way again.

Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the class you chose: Wisdom for Druid.
, Ritual Casting♦ Ritual Casting ♦
You can cast a Wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
, Spellbook♦ Spellbook ♦
At 1st level, you have a spellbook containing six 1st-level wizard spells of your choice. Your spellbook is the repository of the wizard spells you know, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.

The spells that you add to your spellbook as you gain levels reflect the arcane research you conduct on your own, as well as intellectual breakthroughs you have had about the nature of the multiverse. You might find other spells during your adventures. You could discover a spell recorded on a scroll in an evil wizard’s chest, for example, or in a dusty tome in an ancient library.

♦ Copying a Spell into the Book ♦
When you find a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is of a spell level you can prepare and if you can spare the time to decipher and copy it.

Copying that spell into your spellbook involves reproducing the basic form of the spell, then deciphering the unique system of notation used by the wizard who wrote it. You must practice the spell until you understand the sounds or gestures required, then transcribe it into your spellbook using your own notation.

For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells.

♦ Replacing the Book ♦
You can copy a spell from your own spellbook into another book—for example, if you want to make a backup copy of your spellbook. This is just like copying a new spell into your spellbook, but faster and easier, since you understand your own notation and already know how to cast the spell. You need spend only 1 hour and 10 gp for each level of the copied spell.

If you lose your spellbook, you can use the same procedure to transcribe the spells that you have prepared into a new spellbook. Filling out the remainder of your spellbook requires you to find new spells to do so, as normal. For this reason, many wizards keep backup spellbooks in a safe place.

♦ The Book’s Appearance ♦
Your spellbook is a unique compilation of spells, with its own decorative flourishes and margin notes. It might be a plain, functional leather volume that you received as a gift from your master, a finely bound gilt-edged tome you found in an ancient library, or even a loose collection of notes scrounged together after you lost your previous spellbook in a mishap.

Attacks

▬ Dagger: Melee | +4 to hit | 1d4+2 piercing damage | finesse, light, thrown 20/40

▬ Produce Flame: Ranged 30 | +3 to hit | 1d8 fire damage

Spellcasting: Wizard | Spell Save DC 13, Spell Attack +5

▬ CantripsMage HandConjuration
Range: 30 feet
Target: A point you choose within range

A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.
You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.
The hand can’t attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.

Flavor:
"Apókryfo chéri"
The spectral hand seems to be made of bluish, wispy smoke. It is in the shape of Shazzar's wife's hand, as he remembers it, complete with the wedding band.
Mind SliverEnchantment
Components: V
Duration: 1 round

You drive a disorienting spike of psychic energy into the mind of one creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw or take 1d6 psychic damage and subtract 1d4 from the next saving throw it makes before the end of your next turn.

At Higher Levels:
This spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach certain levels: 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Flavor:
"Spáse to myaló sou"
PrestidigitationTransmutation
Duration: Up to 1 hour

This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

♦ You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
♦ You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
♦ You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
♦ You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
♦ You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
♦ You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Flavor:
"Mageía"

▬ 1st (1/2 slots): Comprehend LanguagesDivination (Ritual)
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Duration: 1 hour

For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text.

This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.

Flavor:
"Gnorízei óles tis glósses"
®, *Detect MagicDivination (Ritual)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Flavor:
"Epitrépste mou na do apókryfes ávres"
For the duration of the spell, Shazzar's eyes turn into black, obsidian-like orbs that glow faintly with a pale-blue light.
©®, Find FamiliarConjuration (Ritual)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: An unoccupied space within range
Components: V S M (10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs that must be consumed by fire in a brass brazier)

You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. A familiar can’t attack, but it can take other actions as normal.

When the familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again

While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar’s eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.

You can’t have more than one familiar at a time. If you cast this spell while you already have a familiar, you instead cause it to adopt a new form. Choose one of the forms from the above list. Your familiar transforms into the chosen creature.

Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.

Flavor:
"Akoúste to kálesmá mou, kollitós mou fíle"
At the final stage of the spell, the fire turns a brilliant blue, and it is from this blue fire that the familiar explodes out of, extinguishing the fire at the same time.
®, *Feather FallTransmutation
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you or a creature within 60 feet of you falls
Target: Up to five falling creatures within range
Components: V M (A small feather or piece of down)

Choose up to five falling creatures within range. A falling creature’s rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the spell ends, it takes no falling damage and can land on its feet, and the spell ends for that creature.

Flavor:
"Sýllipsi"
A magic circle that is about 1 foot across appears in the air, over the target's head. It would seem that an invisible energy is emanating from this circle to pull the target up, slowing their descent.
, *Mage ArmorAbjuration
Target: A willing creature who isn't wearing armor
Components: V S M (A piece of cured leather)
Duration: 8 hours

You touch a willing creature who isn’t wearing armor, and a protective magical force surrounds it until the spell ends. The target’s base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier. The spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.

Flavor:
"Panoplía tou apókryfou"
Faintly-glowing pale-blue lines that form a continuous, geometric pattern appear on Shazzar's clothing. Whenever objects impact against him with considerable force, those lines flash mildly.
, *Magic MissileEvocation
Range: 120 feet
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range

You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.

At Higher Levels:
When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot above 1st.

Flavor:
"Apókryfa véli"
Several fist-sized magic circles appear in the air around Shazzar, and darts of bluish energy shoot out of each one toward his targets.

Spellcasting: Magic Initiate (Druid) | Spell Save DC 11, Spell Attack +3

▬ CantripsGuidanceDivination
Target: One willing creature
Duration: Up to 1 minute

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

Flavor:
"Eíthe to Oghma na sas kathodigísei"
The target feels a comforting warmth spread throughout their body, radiating Shazzar's hand.
Produce FlameConjuration
Target: Self or a creature within 30 feet of you
Duration: 10 minutes

A flickering flame appears in your hand. The flame remains there for the duration and harms neither you nor your equipment. The flame sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet. The spell ends if you dismiss it as an action or if you cast it again.

You can also attack with the flame, although doing so ends the spell. When you cast this spell, or as an action on a later turn, you can hurl the flame at a creature within 30 feet of you. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 fire damage.

At Higher Levels:
This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Flavor:
"Apó to típota, fotiá"
The flickering flame is a pale blue in color and takes on a teardrop shape.

▬ 1st (1/1 use): GoodberryTransmutation
Components: V S M (A sprig of mistletoe)

Up to ten berries appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its action to eat one berry. Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day.

The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of this spell.

Flavor:
"Threptiká moúra"
The berries are perfect orbs in shape and have a perfect sheen to them.

Equipment Spellbook, staff (arcane focus), scholar's robes, dagger, writing kit, borrowed book (Elminster's Treatise On The Arcane), belt pouch, backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 4 torches, 5 rations, waterskin, 50 ft of hemp rope, 12 gp, 5 sp, 5 cp

Narra | The Familiar

spacer.pngOwl (Tiny Fey)

hp 1/1 ▪ AC 11 (Unarmored) ▪ Speed 5 ft, fly 60 ft.

HD 1d4 ▪ Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 13 (18 if hearing or seeing)

STR 3 (-4) ▪ DEX 13 (+1) ▪ CON 8 (-1) ▪ INT 2 (-4) ▪ WIS 12 (+1) ▪ CHA 7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3 (advantage if hearing or seeing), Stealth +3

Features FlybyThe owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.Keen Hearing & SightThe owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing and sight.Deliver Touch SpellsWhen you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its Reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an Attack roll, you use your Attack modifier for the roll.Link With MasterWhile your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an Action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any Special Senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own Senses.Pocket DimensionAs an Action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an Action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.

֎ ֎ ֎

Dynaheir-120x150.png

DYNAHEIR | HP 7/15 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12

Dynaheir, settling down to rest herself, glances up at Sulimann when he mentions Thay and Red Wizards. For the first time in the brief window since they met, she gives the tiefling a closer look. She had assumed he'd led a hard life, scarred as he was, but a slave? In Thay?

"Earlier, you seemed to know what it meant to fight in a berserker's rage," she says to him. "Now, you mention leaving Thay and hating Red Wizards."

She looks him up and down, then offers him a small smile. "I lost my brother to Red Wizard slavers, and yet I think I know only a small portion of the pain and suffering you must have endured at their hands. And for what they have done to my family and my people, I would tear down every tower they have ever built and use the bricks to smash their wicked skulls in. I do not know how you found it in you to embrace a goddess who teaches that even they deserve mercy, but I think you must be the strongest person I have ever met."

Quick Stats

HP:   11/11 | AC:   15 | Init:  -1 | PP:   13 | Spell Slots: 0/2

Conditions:

Memories, Like the Coroners of my Mind

"I have fought against and alongside your people often." Sulimann meets Dynaheir's smile with one of his own, his voice a low and measured thing. "In Thay, the fighting pits are popular for anyone with the strength to put on an exciting show. Many Rashemi find their place there, a more palatable thing than breaking rocks or aiding the slave hunters in bringing more of their own back. I have no doubt your brother was the equal of any I've met." A pause as he considers who is speaking with, a woman who understands that violence must be applied when the situation demands. It is practical, and a common belief among the Rashemi he'd met, and he takes no issue with it. "Controlling their anger, letting it feed their swings and dull their pain. I've faced men half my said that hit twice as hard as I could. You seem most adept at it." With no

"My body has suffered and the injuries linger, but with that loss came a strength of purpose and conviction. I am not the warrior I once was but I can still aid those who fight for the right purpose." Glancing to the others as they mill about on their own business, he takes a long and lingering glance at the owl in their midst. A thing between worlds, a creature of some unknowable place, and yet Shazzar seems comfortable with their ties to it. The woman and her gun, so eager to leap into risk and lay waste to all in her way. And Altair, so vocal in his displeasure at being here, is strange in both accent and behavior and yet he stood against a creature of unknowable horror. There is much about these people that he will only learn through continued exposure, gods willing they all survive that long. Turning his eyes back to Dyna, he offers a small nod.

"You lend me your strength and I will lend you mine. I imagine we'll be unstoppable."

VWz6kfK.png

Giselle the Drowned

Features

Divine Sense PHB, pg. 84

Lay on Hands PHB, pg. 84

Traits

Darkvision BR, pg. 39

Fey Ancestry BR, pg. 39

Spells

None

IC

Giselle listened with sadness to both Sulimann and Dynaheir's stories. "The Red Wizards are known e'en unto the Raven Queen as purveyors of evil and darkness."  She shook her head, as if she'd said too much, her cheeks reddening.  "Still, some of us know what it is to stand between dark and light."

Speaking up, Giselle nodded to Shazzar and Narra.  "I apologize, I should have realized!  Still, yes please.  Can Narra scout a room or two ahead?"  The paladin in leather armor settles in by the door to be ready should anything burst in.

Out of the corner of her eye, she notices Joliet sitting with her back to the window.  Giselle gave her a nod, acknowledging her prowess. "You were very effective with your weapon, ma'am.  But I have not seen its like before.  How does it work?  Is there aught we should know?"

OOC

Move: Take up a position to guard the door.

Actions:  None.

Altar.png.ebf1d1db004bfd8756063211c657d0e2.png      Altaïr Abd al-Aziz | HP: 5/12 | AC: 18 | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11

IC

Respite. At the offer presented, Altaïr gave a non-committal 'hmm' of agreement, before leaning his back closes to the wall and sinking down till he was seated amongst the dusty floorboards that creeked. A kinship perhaps, for the paladin's own body creaked and whined in protest. He needed rest, and he needed a drink — preferable the latter, but he doubted anything good was kept up in this manor without some ghostly presences attached. Altaïr glanced among the party, quietly considering a means of escaping while others began to chat, and reveal sections of history he hadn't taken time to consider the depths of his newly made "companions". He hadn't experience much of that asides from the botherhood for Helm that he kept at arms length, and...the brief moments his own real brothers genuinely regarded him. 

It was...nice, if there could be anything nice of their current predicament. He glanced at the offer of food from Sulimann, hesitantly taking pieces of dried meat and nuts in small palm size fist. It wasn't on his mind for preferred food, but anything at this moment could be the finest of meals as long as it kept his stomach full. Oddly, as he ate the paladin took his distraction from the talks of religion that he attempted to appear not discomforted by with a piece of offering of his dried meat to the owl. 

"Psst, psst,He quietly cooed, trying to get the bird to look in his direction,"Does she...eat anything?" Altaïr inquires, tentatively, with a brief look over to Shazzar with his palm open for Narra to take his food. He couldn't help a habit, a quiet fondest for birds was something the paladin never failed to desire to entertain when presented. Even if magical, the owl was beauty in its own that brought some light back in the faded gold hues of his eyes and the barest hint of a smile. 

Something saradonic did morph itself over his mouth on Giselle question over to Joliet, shaking his head. "She affirms its not magic, but my ears be damned if its not the loudest iron stick I've ever encountered. I second the priestess of her order, what is that demented thing? You seem to...need to keep placing little pebbles back in there? Is it similar to a...bow?" He sounded daft even to himself, but curiosty was present in his tone and gaze following Joliet's movements as she handles the strange wand.