AC:   14

Init:  +3

PP:   13

FeaturesSecond Wind: 1/1
Languages: Common, Paridon Creole

ConditionNormal

Ammo◦◦⁍⁍⁍⁍

IC

Joliet coughs out her held breath and then wheezes to take another as her body impacts against the wall. The ringing in her ears from her earlier shot might have been music, but the ringing in her bones is anything but. She tries to smirk through the pain and say something clever, but all she can manage is "Bloody hells, that hurt..."

From within the thing's grasp, she uses one hand to hold onto the armored arm while raising her gun with the other.  It's an awkward angle, and she doesn't quite get the barrel lined up as well as the last time. But when she pulls the trigger, the bullet still finds its mark, even if it's largely a grazing shot.

OOC

Move:  Staying put.

Action:  Firing 1 round at the enemy.

Bonus Action:  n/a

Reaction:  If it moves away from her, she'll take an AoO.

Edited by emotionaut (see edit history)
Name
Firing
keep(2d20,highest)+7 7,11
Damage
2d8+3 1,1

VWz6kfK.png

Giselle the Drowned

HP:   11/11  |   AC:   17  |   Init:  +3  |  PP:   11

Features

Divine Sense PHB, pg. 84
As an action, you can detect good and evil. Until the end of your next turn, you can sense anything affected by the hallow spell or know the location of any celestial, fiend, undead within 60 ft. that is not behind total cover. You can use this feature 4 times per long rest. 2/4

Lay on Hands PHB, pg. 84
You have a pool of healing power that can restore 5 HP per long rest. As an action, you can touch a creature to restore any number of HP remaining in the pool, or 5 HP to either cure a disease or neutralize a poison affecting the creature. 5/5

Traits

Darkvision BR, pg. 39
You can see in darkness (shades of gray) up to 60 ft.

Fey Ancestry BR, pg. 39
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Spells

None

IC

The party engaged in a dance with death in the form of supernatural armor.  This should be bread and butter to Giselle... she feels the move and countermove, feint and parry and lunge of hand-to-hand combat.  But she's awkward.  It feels fine, she should be wiping her boots with the thing in front of her... and yet, she'd missed.

Flinging her wet hair out of her face, the half-elf's eyes narrowed.  We cannot let it end here.  She unsheathed her rapier and attacked in earnest.

OOC

Move: None.

Bonus Action: None.

Action:  Attack, doing Damage if successful.

Item Interaction:  Wield rapier.

Name
Attack
1d20+5 18
roll
1d8+3 4

Quick Stats

HP:   3/11

AC:   15

Init:  -1

Spell Slots: 2/2

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Command, Cure Wounds, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith

Conditions:

A Fight, You Say?

The armor swings and the metal connects, staggering Sulimann backwards into the railing that separates him from empty air and a painful fall down the stairs. Despite their aged and weathered nature, both the tiefling and the railing endure the blow with stoic resilience. Pulling away from it, he watches the construct fall under repeated blows from the rest of the group. Pain shoots up toward his shoulders and down his thighs as he straightens to his full height, drowning out the usual ache and numbness that spreads to his limbs as the day wears on. He hadn't been the only one to take a hit during that sudden, and short, scrap. Dynaheir and Joliet both took heavy blows, and each came away more ferocious in their counter strike. Strong fighters surround him and that is no small comfort in such an alien and unwelcoming place.

"Haunted houses." His voice is heavy with disdain as he rolls his right shoulder, digging thick fingers into the muscle there. "Always with the traps and ambushes." Kicking away any armor pieces that may have landed nearby, Sulimann drapes the chain over his shoulders and looks to Dyna, then Joliet, with his head inclined. "Anything broken or dislocated?" 

JZlpFWZ.png

Joliet

HP:   12/12

FeaturesSecond Wind: 0/1

ConditionNormal

Ammo⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍

IC

Joliet relaxes as Giselle puts an end to the walking armor's walking. She opens the cylinder of her revolver with a snap of her wrist and teases out the spent casings. She then fishes two fresh bullets from her pouch to replace them, while saving the used casings, just in case.

"I'll be fine. Just gimme a tick, yeah?" she says while steadying herself on her feet. Once she's got her second wind, she gives Dynaheir a nod to say she's ready when she is.

OOC

Move:  n/a

Action:  n/a

Bonus Action:  Second Wind

Reaction:  n/a

Name
Second Wind
1d10+1 9

Dynaheir-120x150.png

DYNAHEIR | HP 7/15 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12

Dyna doesn't respond to Sullimann's question. Instead, still growiling like a beast and panting heavily, she brings her sword down on the un-animated armor over and over again, sundering steel (and wood beneath) and scattering bits of plate and scale around the room. Finally, as her rage plays out, she sags and presses an arm to her abdomen. "I think... I think something is broken, yes. But I can keep--" she winces as a jolt of pain shoots through her body. "I can keep going. But I think I need a moment to sit down."

Dyna has fought her first real foe, and had her first real brush with death. If not for her companions, she would likely have perished here. That, even more than the sudden ache of fatigue in her muscles, drains the strength from her legs and has her looking for something to sit down on.

⚔ Round II ⚔

Though it has got in relatively few strikes, the animated armor has made quite a dent on the outsiders to Barovia, but they aren't beaten yet.

Joliet aims, fires, and tears through a massive chunk of armor, the left arm falling off entirely and the back of the armor threatening to break. Giselle capitalizes on this, unsheathing her rapier and driving the attack into the back of the armor, and as it prepares to strike at Joliet again, it twists, causing the back to fracture, break, and send the entirety of the armor shattering to the ground, in pieces, piece by piece. The legs, the boots, twitch, as if the magic is not quite done with it, but soon they are the only things left standing. The armor is done for, the magic fading.

All that remains is shattered armor, and disturbed dust that flows through the air, along with particles from the ruined wall where Joliet slammed into it.

The melee over, Joliet and Dynaheir request a moment to rest, both taking to the stairs for lack of anywhere else to sit. Giselle, Sulimann, and the others offer their help, but there's little they can do short of magic and letting their new companions rest.

The door where the candle is remains, but there are other doors they can explore, for the time being. The dust here suggests this floor has not been disturbed prior to their ruckus, and the animated armor suggests why for good reason.

What will they do now?

Out of Character

spacer.png

End Combat!

Not much for me to do but narrate the scene. I changed the map, it doesn't reflect anything. Feel free to check doors as you like.

I need everyone to roll Initiative again, for our next ruckus.

Quick Stats

HP:   3/11

AC:   13 (no shield)

Init:  -1

Spell Slots: 1/2

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Command, Cure Wounds, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith

Conditions:

A Fight, You Say?

As the others take a moment to inspect their wounds or gather their wits, Sulimann leans back against the railing and counts his breaths. Calm and focus comes on the heels of the ebbing adrenaline. If even the decorations of the house are a danger how can one even tell what is safe? Better to assume everything here is out to kill them than be taken unaware again. He steps over to Dynaheir once her own rage has left her and places a hand on his chests, indicating she should mimic the motion. 

"You fight angry. It is not my method but I've known many in the pits who use it. Find anger in the fighting and calm in the times between." His voice is light, soft even. The drawl still drags out the sounds of the vowels and clips the s sound short, but he does his best to keep the tone and timbre subtle. "In for three, out for four." He draws in a breath, the motion pressing his chest against the inside of of the breastplate and straining the aged leather straps that hold it in place. Exhale and his shoulders sag as everything goes loose again. "Five times and you should find your center." He extends the other hand, curling the fingers to indicate she should take it, and lets the peace of Eldath slip between them to mend ligament and muscle.

"Are we ready to continue?" He looks past the barbarian to check the faces of the others before stowing the shield and pulling the crossbow from his back, working a bolt into place. Better to avoid the front line for now.

Name
Cure Wounds
1d8+3 1
Initiative
1d20-1 18

582083491_Altar.png.a1b29391667430289dd736048086c2c8.png   Altaïr Abd al-Aziz | HP: 12/12 | AC: 18 | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11

IC

"Who even lets a living armor around children?" Altaïr said, having stayed for majorty - honestly all - of the fight out. It was one armor, made of steel and him of flesh. He'd rather avoid having to confront anything, and it appeared his new "friends" had a interset for violence. 

"Let's just hurry, if the objects are fighting, then surely something else must be at work in the room." He says, drained, and slightly hesitant to move over at the supposed door holding the infant with his shield at front. 

OOC

Pala Boy moving towards the door where the child supposedly is held. 

Edited by Mamori23 (see edit history)
Name
roll
1d20-1 3

JZlpFWZ.png

Joliet

ConditionNormal

Ammo⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍

IC

Joliet nods in agreement. "Well said. The little loves are countin' on us. No time for dawdlin'," she says as she follows Altaïr toward the door.

When they reach it, she makes some curious hand gestures which seem to be asking for Altaïr to wait while she checks the door. She then removes her hat so that she can press an ear to its surface and an eye to the gap beneath.

Afterwards, she pops back to her feet, dons her hat, and whispers her findings to the others. She then positions herself to one side of the door, ready to whirl through once it's opened.

OOC

Move:  To southern door.

Action:  Perception check

Name
Perception
1d20+4 16
Initiative
1d20+3 4

Dynaheir-120x150.png

DYNAHEIR | HP 11/15 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12

Dynaheir gives Sulimann a grateful nod. "Thank you. That... was the first time I have faced real danger. When I was training to become a warrior, I learned the theory of tapping into your rage and using it to destroy evil, but... that was the first time I have ever tapped into that anger." She shakes her head, looking slightly dazed. "I think I understand why my great-uncle's companions would stand very far away whenever he went berserk. It becomes very fun to hit things with your sword. More so than usual."

As the others move to examine the southern door, Minsca stands and moves to the northern doors. She listens at them, her ear pressed nearly to the wood, but she has no intention of opening them yet. She's merely guarding the party's rear. Who knows what might come stomping into the room while everyone's piling up at the other end of the room?

Name
Initiative
1d20+2 16
Perception to listen at the door.
1d20+2 1

VWz6kfK.png

Giselle the Drowned

HP:   11/11  |   AC:   17  |   Init:  +3  |  PP:   11

Features

Divine Sense PHB, pg. 84
As an action, you can detect good and evil. Until the end of your next turn, you can sense anything affected by the hallow spell or know the location of any celestial, fiend, undead within 60 ft. that is not behind total cover. You can use this feature 4 times per long rest. 2/4

Lay on Hands PHB, pg. 84
You have a pool of healing power that can restore 5 HP per long rest. As an action, you can touch a creature to restore any number of HP remaining in the pool, or 5 HP to either cure a disease or neutralize a poison affecting the creature. 5/5

Traits

Darkvision BR, pg. 39
You can see in darkness (shades of gray) up to 60 ft.

Fey Ancestry BR, pg. 39
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Spells

None

IC

A look of concern washes over Giselle's face as she assesses the state of the party, but she notes with approval that Sulimann is already over talking with the barbarian, affording what care he can.  They're beginning to gel.  This is a good foundation.  We could accomplish a lot.

Seeing that the intention was to prioritize the children she smiled to herself.  She weaved her way into the front.

"I was nearly as useless as a dishtowel in a typhoon back in the back.  Perhaps up here I can be more useful."

OOC

Move: To stand at the front of the marching order.

Bonus Action: None.

Action:  None.

Item Interaction:  Ready rapier.

Name
Initiative
1d20+3 5

There's no time to waste: no rest taking. Joliet and Dynaheir prepare themselves, with Altaïr and Giselle taking the front of the pack. Dynaheir moves to the back listening at the stairs, but all she can hear is her own breathing... which she does not realize, so as far as Dynaheir knows, she hears breathing coming up the stairs.

Joliet, meanwhile, pauses, reminders what her father Durant taught her. To take everything in, to stop and scan things, look what stands out. There's nothing alive beyond that door, she can tell that much, but that's not the only door they're looking at, she realizes. Directly in front of Giselle, there are impressions on the wall, the way the wallpaper ends suddenly yet continues: a line that is not repeated anywhere else on the wall. A separate line can be found about two feet away, right beside the railing. A door.

There's a hidden door here on the landing.

Pointing it out, she and Giselle begin to search for the hidden panel to open it, and find an impression, a click, and the door opens up to a dusty, shoddy wooden floor that leads to equally shoddy stairs that lead upward.

They have found a way to the fourth floor.

Meanwhile, Altaïr opens the door, finding that the room is very empty: beyond he can see the window, illuminated by the wizard's spell behind him, and very little in the room save doors that lead onward, like closets. In the window there is a candle, with no smoke coming off of it.

Lightning strikes, illuminating the outside: what lies in the room?

Out of Character

spacer.png

Hey look, a secret door!

I made the map before I noticed Giselle's post, put Giselle where Joliet is standing, put Sulimann where Giselle is, and put Joliet where Sulimann is. Dynaheir is near the stairs, so we can figure out marching order later since it's not the end of the world right now.

That's my fix. I don't want to make another screenshot.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

JZlpFWZ.png

Joliet

ConditionNormal

Ammo⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍⁍

IC

Joliet cranes her neck to get a look past the others into the revealed room. What she sees does not strike her as having the makings of a nursery, not that she's much of an expert. "Tykes downstairs said this here was the little one's room, yeah? Any sign of a crib? Basinet? Anythin' to suggest the buggers weren't havin' a laugh at our expense?" she asks. She doesn't want to believe that Rose and Thorn misled them, but things weren't exactly adding up.

Joliet taps Altaïr on the shoulder, signaling him that she's got his back, as she had done with Dyna previously. "Let's check it out, just the same. Best to know it's clear before we put it at our backs, yeah?"

OOC

Move:  Heading in!

Action:  n/a

631147254_Altar.png.5539055695bf01d75e03b7d4c5d843be.png  Altaïr Abd al-Aziz | HP: 12/12 | AC: 18 | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11

IC

On the click to reveal a seperate passge, Altaïr looks over Joliet to scan the room in quick inquiry. No crib, no babe....and no sign of a beast. 

He was getting very concerned at the possiblity they've been used, yet none the less under oath he regrettably must assure that there was no child at risk. Altaïr was beginning to hate his father all over again. 

Of all the bloody gods to send me too, it had to be Helm.

At Joliet's signal of following him through, the hesitant paladin nods at her question, lips visibly thinning before entering the room with heavy iron steps "I do not see a thing, and liking this less, and less by the second." He had more protection on him then the rest, but his nerves begged to differ on the opinion, shifting his golden eyes over the room in search of what possible moved the curtain earlier. Soon, taking interest of the closet itself, Altaïr approaches with interest to open up and see even a hint of someone once living within the room.

IC

Move: Also Heading in!

Action:  Rolling for perception

Edited by Mamori23 (see edit history)
Name
perception for the room
1d20+1 8

With Joliet's support, Altaïr steps forward into the shadowy room.

Cobwebs cover the bedroom, which was once elegant and fanciful, from the sheets, the curtains that hang from the bed, as well as two end tables, and an empty wardrobe. Mounted on the wall next to the wardrobe is a full-length mirror with an ornate wooden frame carved to look like ivy and berries. Beside the Zakharan paladin is a door, slightly ajar, leading into a small room. The indication in the room, from what is on the table, is evidence of baby toys, likely never used, all draped in the dust of eons.

Lightning flashes, illuminating the room for the paladin: and he realizes at once he is not alone.

Beside him is a spectrally thin woman, her mouth missing, her eyes wide as she begins to try to scream: and she does, her image jittery and shaking as the sound of five voices echoes into a scream ranging the full scale of octaves, enough to shatter an eardrum.

They have, at last, found the monster let loose into Durst House.

spacer.png

Out of Character

spacer.png

Initiative:
Party13
Specter2

Enemies:
Specter-AC 12, 22/22 HP

Begin Round I!

You all have Initiative. Roll a Religion check to determine anything about the spook.