Fiona Indeman

Ryfte

WiP: Working on a rogue (filcher) character... a small, quiet but friendly, pickpocket / cutpurse with a mild case of kleptomania (typically for small trinkets worth little or nothing)

spacer.pngName: Fiona Indeman
Details: Neutral Good, Femals, 24 years, 2' 8", 25 lbs.
Race: Skinwalker - NightskulkType: Humanoid (Halfling, Shapechanger, Skinwalker)
Class: Rogue (Filcher)

Description: Very thin, young halfling woman with auburn hair, pale brown-amber eyes, fair skin (lightly freckled checks and nose), a rounded button-like nose and narrow features. Short and slender even on the smaller side for a halfling her ears are half-again larger proportionately than most. She smiles easily and is a quiet woman (for the most part) who prefers remaining more in the background in most situations.

Background: The only daughter of a large family (she's got six older brothers) that owns and runs a modest inn boasting a dozen guest rooms she's got the bloodline of a skinwalker, and to be more exact, a nightskulk. The bloodline runs true every two or three generations in the women of the Indeman family, having done so for hundreds of years, and they are completely accepted as regular members of the family.

Fiona's proclivity towards theft came at an early age as she was the youngest child of the family. Her brothers would without fail claim the best toys, clothes, food, etc. and the "trickle down" effect of life often left her with the cast offs that had passed from one after another of her older siblings. Unhappy with this she simply began taking matters into her own hands from an early age. It wasn't that she was a "bad" child, she simply felt that it was unfair that she always got the broken toy, worn out clothing with holes in them, shoes that were tattered, the last bit of soup, etc. and decided to take matters into her own hands.

Despite sharing a room with two of her siblings she found her own "room" in the family inn when she was merely four years old. Possessing the nightskulk capability for both climbing and squeezing through openings of truly small size she created her own nest in a loft space above the grand room at one end with a small crawl space the height of the ceiling beams (just about 10" high). The "room" was an L-shaped area turned on its side with the base of the letter being a space with a air vent on the outside of the inn.

NPC's:

Bernard Muller (friend): Bernard is Fiona's best friend. He works as a stable hand at the inn. Where she is quite small he's the opposite. She convinced her parent's to hire him on as a youth and he's been a de'facto member of the family, despite being a human and a large one at that, since he was merely 8 years old (he's 27 now). As a child he was savaged by a pack of street dogs that crippled him before he could escape them; his left leg is severely scarred and he has a severe limp.

Marybell Victoria Kinman (bully / enemy):  Marybell is an older (54) halfling woman that is officially a simple widower who makes, and sells, rugs. In reality she is the leader of what passes for the closest thing to a thieves guild in town. Truth be told Marybell is jealous of Fiona's inherent skills but she'll never admit that. Instead, she continually threatens disaster on Fiona's family and the inn. Working jobs for Marybell is the only way Fiona can prevent the older woman from what she can only imagine the woman would have done to her family.

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

DESCRIPTION Very thin, young halfling woman with auburn hair, pale brown-amber eyes, fair skin (lightly freckled checks and nose), a rounded button-like nose and narrow features. Short and slender even on the smaller side for a halfling her ears are half-again larger proportionately than most. She smiles easily and is a quiet woman (for the most part) who prefers remaining more in the background in most situations.| APPLICATION | SHEETspacer.pngFiona Inderman
Female, Neutral Good, Halfling , Unchained Rogue (detailsCounterfeit Mage
Escapologist
Investigator
Knife Master
) 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 17/15/13 | HP: 9/9 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +1/+4/+1/+3/-1/+0 | F/R/W: +1/+6/-1 | Move: 30', Climb 30'
Low-light Vision, Perception: +3

The giant puzzle of a room certainly made sense for this place, without any doubt at all. Tann and the others reasoning made sense as well, at least as far as she could tell. There was one simply beginning assumption that Fiona thought might be wrong, "You know Tann, what if you had the right of it except for the directions themselves? That is to say, what if sunrise is clockwise and sunset is counter clockwise? That would reverse the directions of movement you used but still select each of the end points and its an easy enough thing to check... unless of course entering the wrong rotations triggers something dangerous..."

OoC

Summary: Looking for a way to slip into concealment / hiding and sneak to the others side / the switch.

Standard: ???
Swift: Flip switch?
Move: Stealth Move
Free: ???

Offenses:
Bite (+5, 1d4+1 (primary natural attack); Fort DC11 or Sickened, 20/x2)
Rapier (+5, 1d4+1, 18-20/x2)
Daggers (+5, 1d3+1, 20/x2, 10' ri, +5 attack if thrown)
Throwing Blades (+5, 1d3+1, 20/x2, 20' ri)
Sneak Attack: 1d8 (with daggers / throwing blades) or 1d4 (bite / rapier)

SKIILLS:
Acrobatics +8
Appraise +7
Climb +13 (30')
Disable Device +8
Escape Artist +8
Handle Animal +6
Know (Dungeoneering) +7
Know (Local) +7
Linguistics +11
Perception +3
Sleight of Hand +8
Stealth +14
Swim +5

Stat Block

Fiona Indeman
Female, NG, Skinwalker (Nightskulk) - Halfling, Unchained Rogue (Counterfeit Mage, Escapologist, Investigator, Knife Master)), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, DR --, Speed 30', Climb 30'
AC/T/FF: 17/15/13, CMD 14, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will -1, CMB 0, BAB +0   
 Dagger +5 (1d3+1, 19-20/x2)
 Throwing Blade +5 (1d3+1, 20/x2)
 Rapier +5 (1d4+1, 18-20/x2)
 Lamellar Curiass (+2 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 08, Cha 10
Condition 

Shapechange: Nighskulk

Standard action to change shape to or from her hybrid form which resembles a wererat. Basically she appears as a ratfolk with a slighlty leaner build to her. She can change shape an unlimited number of times. Changing back to the "normal" humanoid shape is a standard action as well. When in hybrid (i.e. rat-like) shape she can select 2 of the following features:
- Bite primary natural attack 1d3; Fort DC 11 or sickened
- Climb 30'
- Scent 30'

Rat Squeeze

When in your bestial form you can squeeze through narrow spaces at least half as wide as your normal space without slowing your movement; each move into or through a narrow space counts as 1 square, though you still take all the normal penalties associated with squeezing.

Magical Expertise (Ex)

You add half your level to Disable Device checks to disarm magical traps, Perception checks to find magical traps, and for Use Magic Device checks to activate scrolls and wands. You can use Disable Device to disarm magical traps.

Hidden Blade (Ex)

You add half your level on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal light Blades.

Sneak Stab (Ex)

You use d8's for your sneak attack damage with a daggers and similar weapons but d4's with all other weapons. This includes the dagger, kerambit, kukri, punching dagger, starknife, or swordbreaker and may include other weapons at your DM's discretion.

Elusvie (Ex)

Add half your level as a bonus on all Disable Device and Escape Artist checks.

Follow Up (Ex)

You can roll twice on any Diplomacy check made to gather information, and receive information for both results. This takes the same amount of time as one checkand if the lesser of the two rolls receives false information you are aware of it.

False information is not revealed in this way if the people questioned don't know it to be false.

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

I like Fiona's background. I realize it is a family tradition, but does her family know Fiona is a nightskulk?

The thieves guilds of Sasserine play an important role in the first couple books, so Marybell gives a nice hook to play off. 

4 hours ago, Fiery Gift said:

I like Fiona's background. I realize it is a family tradition, but does her family know Fiona is a nightskulk?

I was torn on this. I thought the idea of having it be a secret kept by the direct bloodline women of the family as a fun idea. The problem with that is that it sort of destroys the nest at home idea I built up. I also thought it simply wouldn't be viable to keep it as a secret in a large halfling family. That seems quite improbable. On the other hand it could be a close guarded family secret.

"The Indeman family has long been a matriarchal family, at least behind the scenes. To the public this is a well concealed truth but within the family itself there is literally no history or inkling if it was ever any different. One of the major family secrets that has been kept for generation after generation is the bloodline of the skinwalkers that reappears within the family. Every member of the family is taught the family history when old enough."

I'm bouncing around ideas in my head on this. If it isn't known then it becomes a surprise if there's a generational gap. The idea of the original introduction of the bloodline into the family as being responsible for saving the family and creating a legendary familial ancestor makes sense I think, giving it a value and making it a positive thing instead of the typical negative it has. That would allow for it to be a family held secret that was a strength. It also allows for the family to cover for the new skinwalker as they learn to control themselves.

I don't mind the trait being considered positive by the family. It is a good explanation for why they might not have thrown the family members with that trait out of the family.

I get the impression that Marybell knows about Fiona's abilities and she is threatening to blackmail/discredit Fiona's family/inn? Is that right?

21 hours ago, Fiery Gift said:

I get the impression that Marybell knows about Fiona's abilities and she is threatening to blackmail/discredit Fiona's family/inn? Is that right?

I think that's a good assumption except perhaps she's been more subtle about it and not specifically stated that fact outright, lol. Merely alluding to it perhaps, as a truly nefarious individual might do. 👿