Month 2 - Into the Border Zone

Doby

Ingrid Hearthkeep

Female LN Dwarf Battle Shaman 2, (Adept 0), Level 2, Init 0, HP 33, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 10, Flat-footed 19, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 0, Will 5, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
Masterwork Heavy Mace +4 (1d8+2, 20/x3)
Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, 0 Dex), Mithral Shield (+2 AC, MW)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10
Condition None
Speaks Common, Dwarven

"Peace." Ingrid cautioned Nancy, and to a lesser extent Quim with how he bristled. There was heat to her tone, but dwarven fires stoked low and hot. "Fighting a battle on two fronts is never wise even with the advantage. Cessah, too, claimed it the work and will of someone more powerful and threatening. That she did not have a choice. If the world works in those absolutes, with the strong making requirement of the weak, then this is our moment to be better and to have our answers." The jingle, scrape, and light rattle of her and Coal's armors felt enough to deter her from insisting they take the fore.

"A torch will give you away more readily then anything else. Even if these 'Skum' can't see in the dark, that thing Byran wore most likely can. We are at a disadvantage here." Ingrid chewed on her thoughts ever so briefly. "Your pup might be able to guide you through the terrain, or Draco or Nancy perhaps provide a spell to let you see in darkness as a dwarf might. If neither of those options work, any sentry will spot torchlight in a dark cave for a long distance. Better Coal and I take the fore in that instance."

spacer.png

Nancy scowls.

"Cessah's never going to be our friend," she says. She might know as little of the world as Coalscuttle does, yet she can't help but think the kobold naïve... it's endearing, but liable to get them all into yet more trouble. "We agreed - we're here to get her back, because we need to know what she... what she did to us. That's all."

Huffing, she tries to focus on the matter at hand.

"I don't know if I can do that, a spell to let someone see in the dark..." Talking about this power is still uncomfortable... it feels so alien, so dangerous - yet she can't deny it's proven useful more than once. She shrugs. "I never had any trouble seeing at night-time... I always rather assumed that everyone could. My mother used to tell me off for skulking about at night... I suppose that's why."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2079966][B]Nancy Netherwater[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Perception +6, [B]Init:[/B] +3 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16, [B]Resist:[/B] Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5 [B]AC:[/B] 18, [B]Touch:[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 15, [B]CMD:[/B] 12 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs divination/fear) [B]Mythic Power:[/B] 4/5, [B]Spells:[/B] L1: 4/5, [B]Other:[/B] Unearthly Terrain 7/7, War Blessing 2/2 [B]Special:[/B] Spell Resistance 7 [B]Active:[/B] Touch of Blindness (1r)
Nancy Netherwater
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Perception +6, Init: +3
HP: 16/16, Resist: Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5
AC: 18, Touch: 13, Flat-footed: 15, CMD: 12
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs divination/fear)
Mythic Power: 4/5, Spells: L1: 4/5, Other: Unearthly Terrain 7/7, War Blessing 2/2
Special: Spell Resistance 7
Active: Touch of Blindness (1r)
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

~ Skum Cave Entrance ~

~ Month 2, Day 9: Afternoon ~

Ultimately, Quim is able to find himself a torch and get it light in short order. "I was thinking the same. Glad I'm not the only one who can't see when the lights are out," Byran chips in as he offers to hold it, if Quim would rather keep his hands free.

The entrance holds a deep, foreboding darkness. It seems to pull at you the further you walk into the underground tunnel. Soon the light from the entrance is quickly becoming merely a pinpoint in the distance. While the passage has been relatively uniform, one of the walls starts to give way and open into a larger space, though the wall is still too high and tall for you to see beyond it. The cavern wall continues to recede as your progress, and eventually you have your first glimpse into the what lies underneath this particular region of the Tenebrous Fence.

Far below, at least a few hundred feet, there are a few notable features. The distance means that everyone's sight is equally useful, or hindering. You can hear the water before you see it, but sparse patches of bioluminescent algae and fungi illuminate the water in certain spots. There seems to be an underground lake of some indeterminable size, and you are certain there must be at least one larger river in the area based on the noise of the water. There's a faint egg-like scent in the air that someone suggests is probably sulfur.

The cavern wall is too steep to run walk straight down, but you see a path in front of you that you can see zig-zagging ahead for the distance your vision is able to penetrate the darkness. Fortunately, the path seems sheltered enough that it should mask your descent. An interesting note, at the bottom of the path you can see a flickering fire near the edge of the water, and next to it is a large cage. There is movement inside, though you can't make out any details from this distance.

The last feature you can plainly see is a large structure some distance from the fire. There's a large opening in the cavern ceiling letting in just enough indirect light that you can see the building rising up from the ground. It looks to be old, and possibly in a significant state of disrepair.

91c0250eb15ea7844b2c130aa591a8ac.jpg

Quim shrugged at the dwarven woman's assessment, perhaps even suggesting she was right about the light and going so far as to grab the braided rope that served as the warg's collar. But then Nancy's response solidified his earlier request as the only option and he set about looking for something to light. Supplies in the wagon were easy enough to take and once he had the torch lit he handed it to Bryan before setting off down into the cave without a word or a look back.

The kiss of light on the pathway was just enough. Quim trusted the warg to keep him heading in the right direction and his own footfalls were soft and deliberate. His steps were meant to find the debris in the way before his weight was fully on that leg and the practice paid off as he was able to find and kick aside most of the small rocks and pebbles that might catch his boot.

While there were certainly still plenty of shadowy crevices to hide traps and murder holes, Quim felt a tinge of good luck when he saw how the entryway led do into the cavern. The light may still tell their position, but the way it winded back and forth was enough to hide their numbers. They weren't completely exposed.

He drew his sleeve up to his nostril as the faint smell graced his nostrils. The distraction was secondary to the sight of the underwater lake. Quim gawked at it for a moment before refocusing his attention on the descent. It was eerily beautiful.

There were other things of note, but they did not interest him nearly as much as what he didn't see. If there were more frog men, he couldn't see them. A cadre of them had been out to greet the wagon, but now there were none. Quim sensed an ambush. Instinctively, he crouched down and tried to see below the torchlight and in front of the green glow.

"I'll go wide." He whispered over his shoulder.

Rolls and Such

Draco Tiras (sheet)spacer.png
Male NG Human (Brass) Eldritch Scion Magus 1, Arcane Duelist Bard 1 (Aristocrat 0), Level 2, Init 3, HP 21, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
+1 Rapier +4 (1d6+3+1, 18-20/*2)
Explorers outfit donned under Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 15
Condition None
Speaks Common and Draconic

Draco's thoughts had turned to his own ability to see in the dark. Which made wanting to figure out what Cessah did to them a bit more pressing. As he stepped inside, he remained towards the entrance as Quim and Bryon got a torch sorted out between them, which gave him a bit of time to poke inward to see if he could do so. At Nancy's comment, he gives a shrug. "I don't miss not being able to see at night. It's super-useful to not be blind when it gets dark. But yeah, nothing is coming up. If there is a way to make someone be able to see in the dark, I can't do it. Sorry guys." He gives a grin at the two not able to see in the dark. It sucked not being able to see, but the only way they could is if someone guided them or they lit something up and the extra sword arms would be too useful to pass up.

As they get closer to their destination, he crouches a bit, eyeing the fire in the distance, then whispers. "I don't see anyone around and those, frog-things may be in the water. So, I can try sneaking closer? I'm not the greatest at being sneaky, but I can see in the dark and I can throw out some magic if I get spotted. Bright flashing lights may be disorientating for them."

Actions

Coalscuttle

coalscuttle_28_small_by_illogictree_dd9wa8d.png.17f42cc691ddeb5e8c0114f415557f37.pngCoalscuttle Kobold Paladin 2 || Guardian Tier 1 LG AC 21 HP 23/25 Speed 20ft Str 11 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 11 (0) Wis 10 (0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 15 (2) Attacks Dagger +3 (1d4), +1 Longsword +4 (1d6+1), Light Crossbow +4 (1d6) Mythic Power 3/5 (+1d6)

Coals peers into the darkness herself, picking out what little of the details she can see.

She turns to Byran.

"You have been here, yes?" she asks in a hushed voice. "What is down there? Where were they keeping Cessah?"

OOC

OOC stuff goes here.

Edited by Illogictree (see edit history)

~ Skum Cave ~

~ Month 2, Day 9: Afternoon ~

Battle Map

Byran.png.46a5e29a685cc1c426f5d9e44015c0ca.png

"I didn't get a great look at their camp. They forgot to give me the full tour," he quips with a smirk. He looks back down, trying to peer through the darkness. "I don't think Cessah is there," he points towards the cage near the water line visible by the fire, "that's too out in the open. There were some ruined buildings closer to the tower, I'm guessing she'll be there."

"It does make me wonder who's in that cage, though. Maybe they caught some other poor travelers." He gnaws on his lip for a moment as he takes a hard look at the landing below. "But there's no sense in wondering when we can just go look," he says as he ushers the group down the winding path after Quim, who had already started his descent.

The group moved slowly down the rocky trail. The stone path seems to have mostly been a worn into the descending slope. Some larger gaps were probably rock slides or from falling debris, though other parts seems smoother as if they were worn away over a much longer period of time, possibly by a river long since gone or water drainage from rainy seasons.

Fortunately, the group is able to stay relatively hidden as you slowly work your way downward. The torch gives you cause for concern, but you do your best to keep it concealed. As you reach the landing at the bottom, there's enough room for everyone to stay well hidden behind a tall wall of rock.

As you all stay low and hushed one of the skum strolls casually towards the nearby cage. Illuminated by the fire nearby, you see what looks like an enclosure of metal bars, and large enough to accommodate multiple people. And, sure enough, there are people inside. Though the flickering light makes it tough to make out details clearly.

spacer.pngspacer.pngAs the skum approaches, you notice it carries large wooden logs in its arms. As it approaches the fire, it drops the wood and the fire flares. "Bah! My sight in the dark is as good as yours, fishy!" an angry looking dwarf rises to his feet inside the cage as he hollers at the nearby skum. "His is, too," he nods over his shoulder at another figure sitting behind him still concealed in the shadows. "Why don't ya come this way, just a little closer, I'll show you where ya can shove that wood." As the dwarf reaches his arm out you can see its skin seems pallid and grey, and his beard is bone white.

"Calm, friend," the other figure, now standing behind the dwarf and at least a head taller, places his hand on the dwarf's shoulder. The man's features stand out as his skin is bright red, and horns grow out of his forehead as they curl back. His appearance bears a striking resemblance to Nancy's in many ways.

The dwarf throws his arm in the air dismissively towards the skum as he goes to sit back down in the cage.

Edited by Doby (see edit history)

spacer.png

Nancy can't help but gasp out loud when she sees the prisoners, forgetting for a moment the need for stealth. She can only hope the skum don't hear her.

Even so, she's never seen anyone with red skin before... or, at least, anyone else. From this distance, it's hard to tell if he has a similar condition to her or if the similarities are purely superficial, but it's enough to give her pause for thought.

"We should rescue them," she hisses, trying to keep her voice low. "I don't know who they are, but nobody should be taken prisoner like that!"

She can't help but eye Byran, though she keeps any further comments to herself. Even if he wasn't, as he claims, involved in seeing to their prior incarceration, he certainly didn't do anything to prevent it. How ironic that they are now here seeking to free Cessah from a similar fate to the one she imposed upon them.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2079966][B]Nancy Netherwater[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Perception +6, [B]Init:[/B] +3 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16, [B]Resist:[/B] Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5 [B]AC:[/B] 18, [B]Touch:[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 15, [B]CMD:[/B] 12 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs divination/fear) [B]Mythic Power:[/B] 4/5, [B]Spells:[/B] L1: 4/5, [B]Other:[/B] Unearthly Terrain 7/7, War Blessing 2/2 [B]Special:[/B] Spell Resistance 7 [B]Active:[/B] None
Nancy Netherwater
Mythic Power: 4/5, Spells: L1: 4/5, Other: Unearthly Terrain 7/7, War Blessing 2/2
Active: None

Coalscuttle

coalscuttle_28_small_by_illogictree_dd9wa8d.png.17f42cc691ddeb5e8c0114f415557f37.pngCoalscuttle Kobold Paladin 2 || Guardian Tier 1 LG AC 21 HP 23/25 Speed 20ft Str 11 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 11 (0) Wis 10 (0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 15 (2) Attacks Dagger +3 (1d4), +1 Longsword +4 (1d6+1), Light Crossbow +4 (1d6) Mythic Power 3/5 (+1d6)

Coals seems to be staring transfixed at the cage - and specifically at the shorter of the two prisoners.

As soon as Nancy speaks, however, she seems to shake partly out of whatever fugue she's in.

"N-no!" she whispers urgently back. "W-we can't let them out!"

She even seems to recoil away from the direction of the prisoners, as if repelled by the dark recollections clouding her thoughts.

"We can't let them out," she repeats, her body trembling with the stark fear plastered on her face.

OOC

OOC stuff goes here.

Draco Tiras (sheet)spacer.png
Male NG Human (Brass) Eldritch Scion Magus 1, Arcane Duelist Bard 1 (Aristocrat 0), Level 2, Init 3, HP 21, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
+1 Rapier +4 (1d6+3+1, 18-20/*2)
Explorers outfit donned under Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 15
Condition None
Speaks Common and Draconic

Draco watches the group by the cage with a narrowed gaze. He wondered how many others were in there or if it was just those two. And why were they in the cage. He blinks at Nancy and Coal's comments, and couldn't help but grin at the irony of the situation of the two switching stances on action and inaction. But he does glance at the two, willing to let them discuss their plans. It wasn't often that Coals wanted to let someone stay in a terrible situation, nor was it often that Nancy wanted to interfere in another outsiders' problems. He whispers "Do you two need to head back a bit to discuss this outside of whispering?"

Actions

spacer.png

Nancy is by now staring at Coalscuttle in disbelief. Why on earth would the little kobold not want to help the prisoners? Does she know one of them?

At Draco's words, Nancy nods, and starts to back away from the fire. She looks at Coals in confusion, awaiting an explanation.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2079966][B]Nancy Netherwater[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Perception +6, [B]Init:[/B] +3 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16, [B]Resist:[/B] Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5 [B]AC:[/B] 18, [B]Touch:[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 15, [B]CMD:[/B] 12 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs divination/fear) [B]Mythic Power:[/B] 4/5, [B]Spells:[/B] L1: 4/5, [B]Other:[/B] Unearthly Terrain 7/7, War Blessing 2/2 [B]Special:[/B] Spell Resistance 7 [B]Active:[/B] None
Nancy Netherwater

91c0250eb15ea7844b2c130aa591a8ac.jpg

Quim kept his spacing away from the group, but it was mostly unintentional. He simply didn't slow down even as some of the details of the fire and the cage came into better view. His eyes were down at the ground checking for cracks and rubble that might trip them up and then moments later, his gaze cast out well into the darkness to look for a different kind of threat.

As they approached the bottom of the ramp, the distance between them did shrink but didn't disappear completely. Even just a few feet away, Quim felt dangled out like bait on a fishing pole. But instead of fear -which he knew should have been the right response- he felt freed. He peaked around the corner and watched as the dwarf and red-skinned man interacted. He heard his companions barely hidden whispers behind him and flashed a look back at them, waving his hand -palm up- in confusion. Now he felt fear.

He couldn't afford to look back at them long without feeling completely exposed. So he turned back to the fire and the skum and the people in the cage and he watched.

Rolls and Such

Coalscuttle

The kobold allows herself to be led by Nancy, more to break line of sight with the cage than to engage in conversation with her.

She stands awkwardly, scuffing her clawed foot and trying to avoid looking at her companion.

Finally,she breaks her silence.

"You... you saw him, right?" she asks. "He's one of them. The..." She closes her eyes tight and gulps. "The bad dark dwarves. The ones that kept me and my clutchmates."

Coals shakes her head, trying to clear it.

"I... I don't want him around," she says. "He will be dangerous."

OOC

OOC stuff goes here.

Ingrid Hearthkeep

Female LN Dwarf Battle Shaman 2, (Adept 0), Level 2, Init 0, HP 33, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 10, Flat-footed 19, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 0, Will 5, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
Masterwork Heavy Mace +4 (1d8+2, 20/x3)
Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, 0 Dex), Mithral Shield (+2 AC, MW)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10
Condition None
Speaks Common, Dwarven

"Coal." Ingrid spoke in a gentle, almost soothing tone. "In our time together you've seen some of the worst humanity has to offer, but you've shown the commonfolk that kobolds aren't a nuisance or menace by action and advocating for peace. We have begun to build something alongside our former captors. Please don't give into fear. If you must hate, direct it at the individual and not the race. Smell them if you must." The dwarf took a deep breath. "I'll admit, I have some misgivings over deep dwarves but they are ancestral. That creature seems to be alone, we should move now."

spacer.png

Nancy frowns.

"Are you sure he's one of them?" she asks. Admittedly, she doesn't know an awful lot about Coals' first incarceration; it's not a topic either of them have ever seemed very intent upon discussing. "I just think... nobody ought to be taken prisoner like that. We're down here to free a woman who did it to us - if anyone deserves it, she does. Maybe those two do too but... since we're down here picking a fight with these creatures anyway, shouldn't we give them a chance?"

Statblock

Nancy Netherwater