Month 2 - Into the Border Zone

Doby

Draco Tiras (sheet)spacer.png
Male NG Human (Brass) Eldritch Scion Magus 1, Arcane Duelist Bard 1 (Aristocrat 0), Level 2, Init 3, HP 21, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
+1 Rapier +4 (1d6+3+1, 18-20/*2)
Explorers outfit donned under Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 15
Condition None
Speaks Common and Draconic

Draco gives a quiet nod. He had been thinking on the situation and it was, worrying. Especially that he was feeling sympathy to the person who had enslaved them, which was crazy. "We also need to get these people and supplies back to the settlement." He ponders how they should go about doing this, and decides to try and sense if anything magical was around. "How soon would these, frog-people be expecting you?"

Actions

Casting Detect Magic. He'll try to go the full 4 rounds worth of knowledge if we aren't in action right now.

~ North of Citadel Forge ~

~ Month 2, Day 7: Morning ~

Byran.png.46a5e29a685cc1c426f5d9e44015c0ca.png

"I'm pretty sure that cloak monster meant to stay with me the entire journey. It was going to make sure I followed through...or kill me, if I didn't." Byran didn't seem as perturbed by this admission as one might expect him to be. "With you having driven it off, they might think I'm dead, so these creatures probably aren't expecting my return at all. I'm just hoping we can get the jump on them before they know what's happening. I doubt I'd be able to sneak up on them, so thinking the wagon is my best chance to get close before they get too suspicious." He flashes a brief smile at Ingrid before adding, "And you've seen how good I am with my hands when I can get in close."

"And if all of you are hidden in back to attack when they get close, all the better. But if you can think of another plan, I'm all ears."

image.png.f4db010a45f9b358cbab714be122bb21.png

"I'd hate to miss out on the battle, but I've probably also got the best chance of leading the family back to the tower. Or I can find a safe place for them before the fighting begins," Vannan chimed in from his position trailing behind the group.

Edited by Doby (see edit history)

Male NG Human (Brass) Eldritch Scion Magus 1, Arcane Duelist Bard 1 (Aristocrat 0), Level 2, Init 3, HP 21, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
Condition None

Draco gives another nod. At least they were clear now. Nothing suspicious that tingled his magical awareness. "That's good. At least Vannan can get them out of here when he split up. Assuming we are doing this? Because I really want to know what she did to us and this is the only way we can get that info. And if hiding in the back and springing a surprise is it, then I'm willing to do so."

Actions

Edited by Pheonixfire (see edit history)

Coalscuttle

coalscuttle_28_small_by_illogictree_dd9wa8d.png.17f42cc691ddeb5e8c0114f415557f37.pngCoalscuttle Kobold Paladin 2 || Guardian Tier 1 LG AC 21 HP 25/20 Speed 20ft Str 11 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 11 (0) Wis 10 (0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 15 (2) Attacks Dagger +3 (1d4), +1 Longsword +4 (1d6+1), Light Crossbow +4 (1d6) Mythic Power 5/5 (+1d6)

During the cart trip, Coalscuttle has been keeping to herself, sitting quietly with her eyes closed, what may be a frown on her face. She might have been sulking, or something else.

When the discussion of the plan begins, she starts listening in. Ambushing the guards?

"Surprise seems to be our best plan," she interjected. "Are the guards tall skinnies, or are they the walking fish?" She was trying to picture what these things looked like in her mind and was having problems. She knew what a fish looked like and couldn't quite figure out how legs would attach. "Do you know if the fish have any strange powers? Besides walking, that is quite strange for fish."

Edited by Illogictree (see edit history)

91c0250eb15ea7844b2c130aa591a8ac.jpg

It had been mostly out of necessity that Quim had decided to return to the scene of the crime on his way out of town. The roads that would have taken him around it felt clogged with potential ambushes and incoming guards and everything seemed to be funneling him back toward the wagon. When it was clear he was going to have to head back that way, he knew he at least had the element of doubt given he was now on horseback. It also helped that perhaps it looked like he was nothing more than a curious busybody instead of a culprit.

When he did turn the corner, he found that everyone was still there and that created a different kind of panic in him. How long had he been gone? Why were they still here? He didn't have time to ask the questions though as he instead wordlessly helped usher them onward.

The first clue they weren't headed out of the city was when the guardsman led them double-back down an alley. Again, Quim was at the mercy of strange leadership and kept his tongue from wagging too hard. When they found the hideout, more of the plan made some iota of sense, even if he was itching to get the heck out of this godforsaken town.

~*~*~

Rest was the ultimate antidote to his anxiety. Without complaint -mostly because he was too tired to voice it- Quim found solace in slumber, and rather quickly. In the morning, he was awoken by the worg pup and the bustling about of some of the others. With a plan to get out of the city reasoned out, Quim again worked at quick pace to help get everyone out.

The road was another layer to calming him. The walls of the city were behind them and their destination -however foggy at the moment- was none too near. The road was the reprieve, he found amusingly, and he did not want to take it for granted.

"Frogmen, Coal. Frogs." Quim laid heavy emphasis on the last word that oozed with a real sense of belabored patience.

Correction made, Quim went back to dutifully keeping the warg pup occupied to keep it from making too much of a nuisance while they talked. But something did bother him about the plan -about the whole thing really- and he couldn't keep quiet about it forever.

"So we trust that you're tellin' the truth. Then we trust you enough to hide in the cage. Then we trust you long enough to lead us into the belly of the frogman village. Then we trust you enough to not just use us as the trade-bait that we just broke free from your cage? That's a lotta, I don't know...trust."

Rolls and Such

Knowledge Nature on knowing anything about frogmen.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)
Name
Frog Men and the Women who Love Them
1d20+3 8

spacer.pngNancy had initially argued against going after Cessah - the woman could rot, as far as she was concerned, and so what if she knew things? Nancy has no interest in whatever dark magic the witch had been up to. However, after everything that's been happening to them, even she has to admit that there's more going on here than she'd like. The strange powers that she herself now has can't be an accident, and it's too much of a coincidence to believe that there isn't some connection with whatever Cessah had been up to.

The guard's "plan", however, is a step too far, and Nancy finds herself nodding in vigorous agreement with Quim.

"You and Cessah have locked enough people up in your lives," she spits. "If you want to do this so much, maybe you should ride in the wagon and... someone else can drive it. Maybe if Draco wears a hood...?"

It's not a very sensible suggestion, perhaps, but it's better than being locked up and at one of Cessah's guards' mercy - again.

"Anyway, do you expect us to fight a whole... what, a whole town of... frog-people?" she asks, arching a sceptical eyebrow. She looks at the others. "We have too many enemies already... maybe we can make a deal with them, trade something for Cessah? Not people... something else, maybe?"

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2079966][B]Nancy Netherwater[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Perception +6, [B]Init:[/B] +3 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16, [B]Resist:[/B] Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5 [B]AC:[/B] 18, [B]Touch:[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 15, [B]CMD:[/B] 12 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs divination/fear) [B]Mythic Power:[/B] 5/5, [B]Spells:[/B] L1: 5/5, [B]Other:[/B] Unearthly Terrain 7/7 [B]Special:[/B] Spell Resistance 7
Nancy Netherwater
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Perception +6, Init: +3
HP: 16/16, Resist: Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5
AC: 18, Touch: 13, Flat-footed: 15, CMD: 12
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs divination/fear)
Mythic Power: 5/5, Spells: L1: 5/5, Other: Unearthly Terrain 7/7
Special: Spell Resistance 7
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Coalscuttle

coalscuttle_28_small_by_illogictree_dd9wa8d.png.17f42cc691ddeb5e8c0114f415557f37.pngCoalscuttle Kobold Paladin 2 || Guardian Tier 1 LG AC 21 HP 25/20 Speed 20ft Str 11 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 11 (0) Wis 10 (0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 15 (2) Attacks Dagger +3 (1d4), +1 Longsword +4 (1d6+1), Light Crossbow +4 (1d6) Mythic Power 5/5 (+1d6)

"...Thank you Quim," said Coals, and it was a bit hard to tell from her tone if the response was genuine or tinged with just a little sarcasm, "that helps."

She cocked her head at Nancy's suggestion. "Well... I would prefer to take Cessah without fighting. However, all we know the frog-fishes want is females, and we are not willing to give them that. What else could they want? We have many supplies of food and building materials, but I am not sure they would want that."

spacer.png

Nancy looks at Coalscuttle awkwardly.

"I don't know," she admits. "We don't actually have a lot of supplies to spare, either - the camp needs this food."

Nancy is painfully aware of how quickly the camp gets through supplies - especially with the addition of all the extra kobolds.

"If we just out of a wagon at them though... we might take them by surprise, but we don't know how many there are, or how strong they are, or... well, anything, really." She continues. "We're picking another fight, and we don't know if we can win."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2079966][B]Nancy Netherwater[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Perception +6, [B]Init:[/B] +3 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16, [B]Resist:[/B] Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5 [B]AC:[/B] 18, [B]Touch:[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 15, [B]CMD:[/B] 12 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5 (+2 vs divination/fear) [B]Mythic Power:[/B] 5/5, [B]Spells:[/B] L1: 5/5, [B]Other:[/B] Unearthly Terrain 7/7 [B]Special:[/B] Spell Resistance 7
Nancy Netherwater
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

~ Month 2, Day 9: Afternoon ~

"I understand your misgivings about this, and about me. But it seems like we both want to get Cessah out of there, and this is the best idea I can think of," Bryan replies, mostly keeping his eyes forward as he leads the wagon towards the mountains to the North. "To you question," he turns to Coalscuttle, "I never saw them using any strange powers, but they look like mean little cusses."

You continue trekking through the arid landscape. The lack of a true road slows travel, but there are occasional paths to follow, and the group is able to find passable terrain outside of them. The already massive mountain range before you grows with each hour as you draw closer. It takes more than two full days to reach near enough to your destination that Byran seems to be a little shaken. "I think we're getting close," he says more quietly than he should need to. His eyes continually scan the base of the range, "There's a cave somewhere...there, I think," he points some distance ahead.

While the group rests and finalizes their plan, Vannan scouts the area and looks for suitable hiding places. He returns a short time later to report he's found a shallow cave free of predators that should serve temporarily. "Good," Byran replies. "So we drop the family, you all hide inside, and I try to convince the frog-men to come out of hiding so we can kill them. Easy enough," Byran forces a chuckle and a smile, but clearly he's apprehensive about the situation.

Ingrid Hearthkeep

Female LN Dwarf Battle Shaman 2, (Adept 0), Level 2, Init 0, HP 33, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 10, Flat-footed 19, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 0, Will 5, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
Masterwork Heavy Mace +4 (1d8+2, 20/x3)
Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, 0 Dex), Mithral Shield (+2 AC, MW)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10
Condition None
Speaks Common, Dwarven

It had taken some time, a not insignificant amount of glowering and pacing. Dwarven stubbornness was legendary but she did eventually come around to the idea of seeing to Cessah even if she felt deeply in her bones that being a slave for life was somehow too good for that woman. As she often did during periods of contemplation, she spoke little and less, just observed the others and the goings on. Ingrid had some misgivings about the cloak-monster fleeing into the wilderness around the Citadel, and silently hoped it hadn't returned home.

Quim was right though, Byron did ask for a great deal of trust. While his sword arm was better then Ingrid's, it could be leagues ahead of Vannan's and it might not make a difference. Several levels of entrapment all for a desperate battle over a woman, one of very few people in these gods-given lands, that Ingrid could say she hated. Time and again, she had to reassure herself that patience and temperance would be rewarded and see her through. She smiled little, and when they at last prepared to make their final approach she cleared her throat to use the voice that had been stifled for too long.

"I would have the Smith doctor or damage the mechanism on the cage, that it cannot contain us before Vannan sees him home to Suliyah and the others. I've some small skill with metals, enough to perhaps assist him, but I believe he would possess the tools necessary for such a thing. If we are resolved to this course of action." Her peace said, Ingrid checked the straps on her shield arm, and pointedly climbed into the wagon.

Condition None

Draco hums for a moment. "They, may wonder where the people are? Do you want me to put on a cloak or something and surprise them when they approach?" He has a pretty good idea on what magic to use.

Actions

~ Month 2, Day 9: Afternoon ~

"The deal was I'd bring them women," Byran says before he pauses. The look on his face might make one think he ate something sour, as if the words are becoming harder to stomach each time he says them. "I can probably convince them that the wagon is full of ladies as long as you stay hidden. We only need to draw them out so none can escape to get reinforcements." Whatever moral or ethical issues you might take with the man, it's hard to argue his approach to tactics and strategy is anything but sound. "If you think you've got some magic to help, I won't argue."

image.png.f4db010a45f9b358cbab714be122bb21.pngAs the group prepares, Vannan leads Suliyah's family to the nearby cave. He returns with an empty wagon. "They were a little scared. Understandably so. But I promised to return after the fight...and that we'd win it."

Vannan ties his horse to the rear of the wagon before climbing in the back. Setting his large, wickedly curved sword down on the floor at its point and letting the blade rest on his thigh, he seemed content to sit quietly and wait for the inevitable fight.

spacer.png

Nancy shakes her head.

"I don't particularly want to rescue Cessah! She can rot down there, for all I care," she spits, unhappy at this whole situation and increasingly frustrated with Byran and his plan. "I only agreed to this because... well... we might need her."

She scowls at the former guardsman, her dislike of him evident.

"Maybe we need to know what Cessah knows... but that doesn't mean it's worth trying to rescue her at all costs," she says. "This is a bad plan. I-- I don't like it. If we can't come up with something better, maybe we should just leave her there, and take our chances without her. She brought all this upon herself, after all!"

Statblock

Nancy Netherwater

91c0250eb15ea7844b2c130aa591a8ac.jpg

Winning the guilt game against Byran didn't have quite the satisfaction Quim had expected. He was no closer to a better explanation and was growing increasingly closer to a banger of a bad ambush plot. It put him in a more sour mood almost immediately.

"This plan sucks." He blurted out. He didn't know this guy from anywhere but the streets of the city, and they'd bullied him there twice. As much as Quim knew, this guy was just a sucker who just kept getting caught up wearing the wrong boots. He chewed on his ring finger for a moment, contemplating his next words far more wisely, "But whateva, I'll be tha runner. Anything gets away. It's mine." As if to emphasize his point, he checked his own boots to ensure they were tied and tight. The warg pup also grew increasingly interested in his boots and he had to throw a shoulder into the beast to get him to back away.

"Do I got that girlish figa, or do I get to ride up front?" He finished, offering a crooked smile.

Rolls and Such

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

Coalscuttle

Coals turns to address Nancy.

"I know you don't like Cessah," says the little kobold. "I do not like her either. But..."

She struggles for a few seconds, trying to put her feelings into words.

"Saving Cessah is the right thing to do," she finally concludes, "no matter what we feel about it. And I am going to do my best to save her."

She looks to the group. "I will be first in the attack," she says as she checks her sword and shield over. Her armor has some ugly scrapes on it from where she wiggled out of the cart in a hurry, but otherwise her equipment seems fine. "I just wish we had some healing potions from Samaad."

Edited by Illogictree (see edit history)