Month 2 - Into the Border Zone

Doby

Coalscuttle

coalscuttle_28_small_by_illogictree_dd9wa8d.png.17f42cc691ddeb5e8c0114f415557f37.pngCoalscuttle Kobold Paladin 2 || Guardian Tier 1 LG AC 21 HP 24/24 Speed 20ft Str 11 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 11 (0) Wis 10 (0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 15 (2) Attacks Dagger +3 (1d4), +1 Longsword +4 (1d6+1), Light Crossbow +4 (1d6) Mythic Power 5/5 (+1d6)

At Quim's interference, Coals looks a bit upset. "Quim," she says, "we should at least know what is happening. Why do you want to ignore it? Are you afraid I will run off and join the fight? I..."

She is interrupted by Ingrid rushing past. It takes Coals a few seconds to realize what is happening, but once she does she is immediately chasing after the dwarf and her quarry. As the man attempts to step around Ingrid, Coals tries to block him off. She is out of breath from the exertion of running in her armor as she stands in the cloaked man's way, hand on the hilt of her sword.

"W-what..." she gasps between breaths, "is... going on?"

Draco Tirasspacer.png
Male NG Human (Brass) Eldritch Scion Magus 1, Arcane Duelist Bard 1 (Aristocrat 0), Level 2, Init 3, HP 21, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
+1 Rapier +4 (1d6+3+1, 18-20/*2)
Explorers outfit donned under Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 15
Condition None
Speaks Common and Draconic

Draco was starting to doubt his own eyes, when Ingrid bursts into action. He joins the sprint, easily overtaking the others due to his longer and non-stubby legs, and helps to form a wall as he peers at the man. It was defiantly that guy. Noone else had that nose and mole, he should know. He remembers making fun of it in his head. "How!?" 

Ingrid Hearthkeep

Female LN Dwarf Battle Shaman 2, (Adept 0), Level 2, Init 0, HP 32, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 10, Flat-footed 19, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 0, Will 5, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
Masterwork Heavy Mace +4 (1d8+2, 20/x3)
Masterwork Breastplate (+6 Armor, 0 Dex), Heavy Mythril Shield (+2 AC)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10
Condition None
Speaks Common, Dwarven

"Coal, lass, might want to keep that sheathed.  Don't know the laws here, but baring steel isn't looked well upon."  Ingrid vocally braced, she was glad they had noticed too.  That they had come.  For better or worse, they were all in this together.  And they were making a scene, something she had balked at not even an hour into their visit to the citadel.  Bah.  Maybe she'd work up the nerve to apologize to Draco when the heat in her veins finally cooled.  Staring coldly through the man, she addressed him in a hard tone.  "Where's Cessah?"

Edited by Robot (see edit history)

~ Citadel Forge, Outskirts of Market Square ~

~ Month 2, Day 6: Late Afternoon~

The man stops dead in his tracks.  The only thing moving is his cloak flapping around.  He looks at Ingrid, his gaze as hard as stone.  His eyes flash over to Coal and Draco briefly, and anyone else who may be nearby as he gauges his position.

"I'm walking away.  Don't follow."  He has weapons on him; a dagger with a wickedly curved blade, a shield with blades and spikes protruding from it, and other weapons, though he doesn't make a move to retrieve any of them.  He only takes a slow step back.  Then another.  He keeps his eyes up and moving slowly, watching, trying to find a way past the group.   

Draco Tiras (sheet)spacer.png
Male NG Human (Brass) Eldritch Scion Magus 1, Arcane Duelist Bard 1 (Aristocrat 0), Level 2, Init 3, HP 21, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
Condition None

Draco gives the man a glare, and his eyes start to slit and glow. He utters out some words in Draconic, a statement and a pair of questionsDetect. Where is she? How did you escape?, but the intent was clear. As was the glowing eyes and draconic growling. He could feel his blood starting to bubble at this person at their evasive actions, and pouncing was not off the table.

OOC and actions

Standard: Casting Detect Magic

Edited by Pheonixfire
forgot to add action spoiler (see edit history)

spacer.png

More than a little surprised to see Ingrid suddenly barrelling past, Nancy can only gape as half the group suddenly rush after some passer-by. She glances at Quim, wondering if he feels as shocked as she does.

"We, um... come on," she says, before hurrying after the others.

She hangs back a bit, still not quite sure what's going on, and looks at the man that Draco has accosted. Does he look familiar somehow? It's hard to say, but he doesn't seem friendly.

91c0250eb15ea7844b2c130aa591a8ac.jpgQuim stood confused at the kobold's response. There seemed to be something lost in the translation, or accents, or the low roar of the crowds around them. Her reply left him puzzled enough that he looked at the others for assistance, but received none because they were dealing with their own mystery. 

Swiftly, things changed and Quim was left standing next to an equally confused Nancy. At her behest, he followed. He threw himself into the crowd to ensure he could keep up.

Ingrid Hearthkeep

AC 19, Touch 10, Flat-footed 19, CMD 10, Fort 3, Ref 0, Will 5, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
Condition None
Speaks Common, Dwarven

Ingrid matches the man stride for stride, moving to seize him before he slips away.  "You'll answer my question, and then I'll consider letting you walk away.  Where.  Is.  Cessah?  She ruined dozens of lives, visited horrors upon me and my charges, and she will be held accountable for it.  You were the last one to see her.  Now."

Name
Grapple Vs. CMD
1d20+3 6

6932b9380adf17764a7bbcbd846dbcb5.jpg.fb9eed426c2c7b76b2112d77ca553d4d.jpgThe more time you spend in front of the man, the more you can appreciate how strongly and muscularly he's built.  His body had been mostly obscured by his heavy, dark cloak, but now that it has pulled back you can see his physique more closely.  Part of it can surely be attributed to a certain level of fitness and exercise, but his limbs and torso seem to be wider and thicker than the average person, and noticeably so.

He deftly steps away from Ingrid's attempt to grab him, and instead he snags on to her wrist and pulls her shoulders forward and towards the ground.  Instead of performing some take down or tossing her aside, he kicks sand up into her eyes.  Seemingly satisfied that he's deterred any future attempts to take a hold of him, he lets her go and steps back.

"You don't understand what you're doing.  Listen to me," he sounds to be more pleading then threatening, "I need to leave.  Otherwise you're in danger, and so am I, and so is she."  He steps back towards a nearby building as his cloak flips around and catches a draft.  He glances around until he sees an alleyway nearby.  His focus shifts that direction as he slides toward it while keeping his hands and defenses up.

DM: Ingrid

Ingrid is blinded for 1 round.  She can use a standard action to remove the condition.

Edited by Doby (see edit history)

Coalscuttle

coalscuttle_28_small_by_illogictree_dd9wa8d.png.17f42cc691ddeb5e8c0114f415557f37.pngCoalscuttle Kobold Paladin 2 || Guardian Tier 1 LG AC 21 HP 24/24 Speed 20ft Str 11 (0) Dex 13 (1) Con 11 (0) Wis 10 (0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 15 (2) Attacks Dagger +3 (1d4), +1 Longsword +4 (1d6+1), Light Crossbow +4 (1d6) Mythic Power 5/5 (+1d6)

Coals resists the urge to draw her sword when the scuffle between Ingrid and the strange man breaks out. However, upon hearing his proclamation, her tone changes. "Is Cessah in trouble?" she asks, suddenly concerned. "If she is, we can help. We have all become much stronger than when we last met." She strikes as dignified a pose as she can manage. "I am a paladin now. I have slain an evil dragon."

Condition None

Draco was content to let Ingrid take the lead, but that changed when she had Sand thrown in her eyes. Coal's statement gave him an idea though. "A lot more powerful too..." He states. Then lowers his voice to completely inaudible as he points at the guy.

OOC and actions

Standard: Casting Message. "Besides, we're always in danger. So unless you've both somehow opened up a portal to the hells or unleashed something stronger than a dragon, I doubt we'll be in any danger. And even then, you may need our power."

Ingrid Hearthkeep

Condition None
Speaks Common, Dwarven

The series of expletives that escaped Ingrid in Dwarven would be enough to curl an understanding listener's beard, and maybe that of their nearest relative as she scrubbed at the grit in her eyes.  She hadn't expected to be upended or stopped by a little dirt.  It was as infuriating as it was humbling, but she was too angry to take the lesson in the moment.  It had given her sufficient pause to let the man take his leave and distance.  Some, to cool her heels and start to pick at a few loose threads of thought.  Cessah had been straightforward with them.  Had claimed planning on releasing them when the ritual ended.  Months with her journals, and Alaron still hadn't deciphered all the details.  It had been the blind leading the blind?!  No, no she was still angry.

6932b9380adf17764a7bbcbd846dbcb5.jpg.fb9eed426c2c7b76b2112d77ca553d4d.jpg"I'm sure you're full of righteous fury, but you can't help me or her,"  he says to Coalscuttle.  He continues to back up and move closer to the nearby alley way.  He's cautious in his movements, though his destination is obvious.  He seems content to move slowly as long as no one else is moving to cut him off or try and delay him further.  If he reaches the alley, the best case scenario is that you'll be able to catch him in a foot chase.  Otherwise, he'll be in the wind.

Condition None

Draco frowns at the response he got back. He bites his lip slightly, because the message was worrying, but he didn't want to alert anyone to it. He lowers his hand, thinking hard, then shifts as if he's ready to charge forwards, muttering under his breath so noone can overhear (hopefully). 

OOC and actions

Message is a spell that lasts 10 minutes and operates at 100' (it can go around walls and such provided it doesn't exceed the distance).

"Do we need something to conceal us from sight? I can grant a minute or two of something to keep us hidden and you can pretend I've managed to pin you when you flee out of it?"

spacer.png

Nancy listens to the exchange, stupefied, her mind whirring as it tries to catch up.

"Wait... Cessah’s alive?" she asks. She’d thought - perhaps hoped? - that their former captor had been buried in the cave-in.

"Where is she?" She demands, finding herself suddenly angry, uncharacteristically so. The man’s no more likely to answer her than he was Ingrid, but Nancy doesn’t worry about that, simply needing to let out her anger. "Tell us!"