Vulpes Catus, Human Fighter

Moturnach

Vulpes Catus

Flexible strategist

spacer.png

"We all need to survive to live another day."

Fighter 1

Medium humanoid male (variant human), true neutral

Armor Class 19(11(Base) + Defense fighting style(+1) + Chainmail(16) + Shield(2))

Hit Points 11 ( 1d10+1 )
Speed 30' ft.

Senses passive perception 13

Languages common, draconic, aklo

Proficiency Bonus +2

ABILITIES & SKILLS 

Proficiency Bonus: +2

Strength 15(+2)
Save +4 
Athletics +4

Dexterity 12 (+1) 
Save +1
Acrobatics +1 | Sleight of Hand +1 | Stealth +1

Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +3
No skills associated.

Intelligence 10 (+0)
Save +0
Arcana +0 | History +0 | Investigation +0 | Nature +0 | Religion +0

Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1 
Animal Handling +3| Insight +1 | Medicine +1 | Perception +3 | Survival +3

Charisma 14 (+2) 
Save +2 
Deception +4 | Intimidation +4 | Performance +2| Persuasion +4

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Cobblers
  • Instruments None
  • Weapons Simple weapons, martial weapons
  • Armors All armor, shields

FIGHTER CLASS ABILITIES
Fighting Style - DefenseYou adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Defense. While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
 | Second WindYou have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
 | 

RACIAL TRAITS
Ability Score IncreaseTwo different ability scores of your choice increase by 1. | SkillsYou gain proficiency in one skill of your choice. | FeatYou gain one Feat of your choice |

FEATS
SkilledYou gain proficiency in any combination of three skills or tools of your choice. |

Your Bardic Inspiration die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die becomes a d8 at 5th level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 15th level.

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

• Longsword +4 to hit for (1d8+2) slashing damage. | Versatile (1d10)
  • Handaxe(2x) +4 to hit for (1d6+2) slashing damage. | Light, thrown (20/60)

MANEUVERS

Filler for Battlemaster Maneuvers

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (127.0 lbs.)

• Weight: 127 lbs. / 225 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (2.6 lbs.)

Copper: 0 | Silver:  | Gold: 13 | Obsidian:  | Platinum: 0

(13 Coins x .02 lbs. = 2.6 lbs. Total Weight)

HIDDEN COMPARTMENT IN SHOES(0.4 lbs.) - 2 gold coins

EQUIPEMENT READIED (72 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (59 lbs.) Traveler's Clothes - 4 lbs. | Chain Mail - 55lbs. 
  • Weapons (7 lbs.) Longsword - 3 lbs. | Handaxe(2x) - 4 lbs. 
  • Readied Items (9 lbs.) Shield - 6lbs

EQUIPMENT STORED (27 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack (11 lbs.) Backpack - 5 lbs. | Mess Kit - 1 lbs. | Cobbler`s Tools - 5lbs | Tinderbox - 1lbs |Rations(10d) - 20lbs| 3x Torches - 3lbs
  • Strapped to Backpack (17 lbs.) Waterskin - 5 lbs. | Hempen Rope -  10lbs. | Bedroll  - 2 lbs. | 7x Torches - 7lbs

EQUIPMENT NOT CARRIED (--)

* Denotes magic item (see below)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

ATTUNED 

APPEARANCE

Age 33 | Height 6.1ft | Weight  159lbs. | Hair Dark Brown/Gray| Eyes Brown | Complexion Light Brown

Vulpes isnt very outstand-looking, so average person probably never even spotted him out of the crowd, however the more attentive ones may notice a scars of military origin on his face from unlucky friendly-fire fireball, and a deep look of person who saw many unpleasant things in the eyes. A once fully dark brown hair and beard he is wearing, rather to protect face from bruises than for style, have a clearly visible sections of gray hair, but thats not because of old age, but rather because of what he lived through. He have a good athletic stature and tall height, but otherwise nothing exceptional. Almost typical average militiamen or footsoldier with a plenty of experience behind. If Vulpes knew that he have a noble blood in his veins, he probably laughed hard, because he barely looks like a nobility. The only feature that may refer to him as a noble could be symmetric rectangular-shaped face, but hard brows and chin on flatter side rather reminds of his lowborn origin. A heavy toll of former orphanage and soldier life full of starving, however, can be seen even now, because he is rather on skinny side, but this is especially seen when he is eating something, always trying to collect as much crumbs after meal as possible, and lefting as less leftovers as possible.

The most often he can be seen thinking about something important, only unserstandable to him. Often he draws some wierd symbols on sand or dirt with a pointy stick. If observed for a some time, one may understand that squares, triangles and other shapes represent some sort of wierd game, similar to chesspieces. Arrows and pointers occupies the whole space, as if he is trying to solve a riddle. No one actually teached him that, but Vulpes rather doesnt care, because all his experience was either seen and copied from someone else or learned through a lot of efforts because he wouldnt survive without his adaptability to situation.

Also, Vulpes is quite observant. He always tries to understand something that he is curious about. He may have no knowledge about carpentry, but he knows perfectly that only carpenter may build a strong enough barricade, so he is not ashamed to ask for help or advise when he need it or when others, according to his opinion, require his help or advice, but he never forces it. 

BACKGROUND

BREVIC OUTCAST
Source Custom

• Personality Traits: "Im not a good person. I understand that many of the things i have done is inhumane or outright immoral, but what else i could do to survive? Can be sacrifice of some for success justified? Im thinking about this for years, and still cannot find the proper answer. Victory with great loss is still victory, isnt it? Yes, i can command people to go straight to death, but i do that not because im evil, rather opposite. But does it make decisions easier? Not at all. Being flexible about your decision...You know, you have a leftover of 3 people from the squad, and you know that you simply woudnt be able to withstand the next enemy attack. You order to retreat, and understand that you wont be able to retreat in time unless someone will stay to hold the enemies till you retreat, or otherwise everyone will die. And you cant do literally anything about it. So you start looking on people as assets. Thinking about who can live and who cant. That what means to be flexible... Its way too heavy burden for me..."
  • Ideals: " Sometimes, i have a wierd dream, as if im sitting in front of desk. Across the desk is Pharasma, exactly like she is often described, holding her hourglass, and looking at me, patiently waiting. There is scales on the desk, and one half of this scales is holding my victory, second half is empty. Also there is a vial with some heavy liquid, which contains the souls of my people. I am taking this vial and start pouring the souls onto empty half of scales. More, and more and more. And its a nightmare. I value my men, and i dont want to sacrifice anyone, but victory always wants better sacrifice. That is the price for surviving another day."

• Bonds: "In the orphanage, i remember that I imagined that there is a dragon named Ahnogg exists that protect our kind, cares about children and helps them find their parents and good life. Maybe it was a myth, a wierd creation of pure child dreams for better life, but this belief helped many to live untill better days. Maybe thats why im so impressed by dragon-kind creatures? Maybe im still trying to fulfill my child desire at least to look at what Ahnogg from my dreams might been?"
  • Flaws: "Maybe thats because im of lowborn origin nobles looking so down on me, but im not blaming myself for my origin, rather nobles for predjustice towards myself" 

Background Feature: Haughty Obstinacy Your powerful ego makes it harder for others to order you around. You gain advantage on any saving throw against a charm effect that attempts to directly control your actions. All attempts to intimidate you have disadvantage. All charisma-based checks you make against nobility have disadvantage. If you manage to establish yourself as a true noble or secure a leadership role in a kingdom, you no longer take the penalty to Charisma-based checks

Persuasion, Deception, one tool of your choice and one additional language of your choice.

A set of traveler’s clothes, the tool you choose for this background’s tool proficiency, and a pouch containing 15 gp

BACKSTORY

Vulpes story starts from Razmiran, where, one day, a child appeared in front of the door of orphanage. Nuns believed that child have a Chelaxian origin, so they gave him a name Vulpes, although that was only a half of the truth. From the very early years of his existence Vulpes had become very familiar with famine, diseases, unjustice and violence, because the city government was corrupted and the city itself was ruled by the tyrant claimed to be a living god. Stronger children tend to rob weaker ones, which later just became starved to death or even killed outright just to reduce the competition. So once he was able to walk, he started to learn how to fight for his future, but unlike others, he start to work on gaining loyalty among other children, and while he wasnt strongest, he was very useful, because he knew how to get the right people for right kind of task, and was able to apply that person skills right when it needs. For example, he could organise a well done apple robbery or rat hunt, or something else to survive. He also early understood the real meaning of the words "Good" and "Bad". Being too good means you starved to death, because you couldnt steal food, and being too bad means that you may be punished by nuns, which almost always beaten children to half-death, sometimes being even more violent than other children, and sometimes children wasnt able to survive afterwards. So, within that condition, Vulpes built his own morale compass, which basically followed the rule of being in the middle between fire and ice circle for sake of survival, and one step away would cause a fiery or frozen death. Especially he tried to avoid any attention of the priests of Razmir, because there was a quite unpleasant rumors about their kind among the citizens and especially lowborns. Since Vulpes never saw any kind of good from belief in Razmir, instead he imagined his own creature to beleve into, an imaginary dragon named Ahnogg, who is supposed to be looking after orphans and protecting them from evil. Despite being purely a imagination of the children, a belief in it helped children to avoid falling into despair.

Later, when he became older, he was taken to militia as a recruit, which was only marginally better than being in orphanage, because there was other threats like Razmian priests, who often was as good as murderer or robber, and often militia was used as a cannon fodder just because aforementioned priests decided to fill their pockets instead and cut costs on actual militia. In other words, militia was often collected from people among differrent kind of lowborns, peasants and other poor people supposed to be a frontier for various kind of hazards from Exalted Wood, such as huge boars, wolves, and even horse-headed centaurs, living in northern part of forest. Pretty often there were even a cases of friendly-fire sometimes, often because a couple of priests was competeng for some valuable spot, and they cared little about the blodshed and deaths around. Militia always recieved the bottom tier stuff, and was an especially easy prey for bureucracy corruption. Irony for Vulpes was to exchange one hell for other without any particular choice for himself, because orphans was just slightly above slaves in Razmiran Militia.

So, once again, Vulpes developed a way to survive. He started to observe the priests drills, skills and other useful abilities by memorizing and copying the drills for himself. Different Aldori swordlord veterans, commanders and even enemies become mentors for Vulpes, which starts to develop his own techniques. Later he transferred that techniques to other militiamens, and becomed sergeant because he always managed to survive whatever massacre he was tossed in, burned, stabbed and sliced, but alive. Razmiran priests started to call him Catus, for his cunningness and ability to find a way around. However, despite being sergeant, he still had no free will, so eventually he decided to develop a plan for his escape. Eventually, during a raid in Exalted wood he managed to kill one of the priests, exchange clothes and weapons with him and run away before he was even noticed by other priests or former allies. To hide the fact that he was alive, he smashed the face of priest with a stone to make others believe that corpse with his clothes was actually Vulpes. Priest had some money with him, proably either stolen or taken from corpse, and that money was more than enough to start a new life, so he became a sword-for-hire, because he knew little about life outside of combat. After a few years of mercenary work outside of Razmiran he was completely forgotten, so he could use his name without any consequences, moreover his current look and outfit barely reminds his old self, so when he heared the rumours about expedition into Stolen Lands, he decided that he have nothing to lose, since everything he earned was on his back, and he had no sentimental feelings about this goddamn city anyway, probably except of desire to burn it to ashes.

Edited by Moturnach (see edit history)

Vulpes Catus - Human Fighterspacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 11/11 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

(Picture should link to your character thread or character sheet, whichever you are keeping updated.)

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

I think i may think a bit more around backstory, but its more or less done anyway. Outside of backstory, i intentionally didnt mentioned parents of Vulpes because it may give some extra plot twists if required, however Vulpes probably would hate them for what he had to live through because of the fact that the parents decided to abandon him. 

@Moturnach thanks for the application and welcome to the Weave.

I am just getting back from a trip as you know from the discord so will dive into the character later this week as time permits.

All the nuts and bolts look to be there.

Good luck in final selection.

I am marking him as completed.