Chapter 1: Reach for the Sky

Khakhan

On 2/10/2023 at 10:45 PM, Amy said:
 "And when it comes to dealing with criminals, nothing is every safe until they are dealt with properly."

At this Arac lets out a gurgle that could be trying to sound like a snort? "Funny attitude to be ghhhaving when you're throwin' in with at least one criminal and plannin' to do some crime." they point out. While a few of their suspicious eyes keep Canaan in their beady sights, they look over the dwarf and the elf. A motley crew, and themselves only tied for most mottled with the dwarf's varmint. Still, they'd worked with weirder, and if Dunsmith trusted them, they weren't all that likely to stab Arac in the back, despite the boy's weasel manner.

"You said our weight in ghhold." Nudging the liquor bottle aside, Arac hooks their two left hands on the platter of chicken their server had plunked down, and uses its knife to hack off a leg. "Sack a' gold's heavy, but not that hheavy. We bringin' you one and whatever else we ghhhcan carry is our cut?" As if to punctuate, it pops the leg, bone and all, into its mouth. Arac's larger right eye bobbles as they swallow the joint whole.

image.png.6d498f9e701ed0737a8bfc591b975e78.pngGemma

Investigator 1

AC 16

HP 17/ 17

Fortitude +4

Reflex +6

Will +7

Perception +7

Status

None

"You've got your own reason for being here, I've got mine.  I'm not doing this for Mugland's gold, I'm interested in his information.  This is a chance to get at some of it. Betraying you won't get me what I want, but going along will," Gemma states levelly to the fleshwarped creature. 

Turning to the dwarf, Gemma lifted her chin in a faint nod. "Would you mind waiting until after I have gotten some answers from Loveless first?  Preferably she'd rot in a prison along side those she's put away, but not everyone shares my sense of ironic justice."

Finally Gemma blinks at the new comer, fingers twitching as the young woman barely keeps from reaching up and rubbing the bridge of her nose.  Some days were more difficult than others, but, at least, this flamboyant and large personality was trying to be affable.  Gemma tried opening and closing hey mouth several times but really had nothing to reply with to the red haired woman - at least that would not make the headache blossoming from getting worse.  "Gemma," she offers instead.  Ma always did put importance on manners, why they're those out the steam engine window when the other woman has gone and introduced herself first.

"Suppose it'd only be polite to give her a chance to atone, if'ns a bit less fun." Gustav says to Gemma.

He turns to the fleshwarp, then Dunsmith. "Sounds like a fair cut to me." He says in assent to the twisted gunslinger.

"Y'all can call me Gustav, and this here is my companion and partner in crime Waddles." He scratches the creature under the chin, causing it to tilt its head back and half close its eyes, making a choked gurgling noise that could maybe pass for a purr. 

Gustav

Current Statuses: None

AC 17 | HP 20/20 | Fort +7, Ref +7, Wis +4 | Fire Resistance 1 | Speed 25 Feet | Perception +4 | Darkvision

More

Clan Pistol +5, 1d6 P; Concussive, Fatal d10, Dwarven
Throwing Knife +5 1d4+1 P; Agile, Finesse, Throw 20ft
Sickle +5, 1d4+1 S; Agile, Finesse, Trip

Infused Reagents: 1/5
Prepared Infusions:

• 4 Elixirs of Life (2 reagents)
  • 2 Juggernaut Mutagens (1 Reagents)
  • 2 Alchemists Fire (1 Reagent)

Waddles

AC 14 | HP 5/5 | Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +7 | Speed 25 feet, Climb 25 feet | Perception +5 | Low-Light Vision

More

Familiar Tiny Minion Neutral

Perception +5, Low-light vision
Languages Understands Dwarven
Skills Acrobatics +5, Stealth +5, All other skills +1
Str +0, Dex +0, Con +0, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +0

Speed 25 Feet, Climb 25
Familiar Ability: Climber Gains a climb speed of 25 feet.
Familiar Ability: Partner In Crime Despite being a minion, gains 1 reaction at the start of its turns, which it can use only to Aid its master on a Deception or Thievery skill check (it still has to prepare to help as normal for the Aid reaction). It automatically succeeds at its check to Aid its master with those skills or automatically critically succeeds if the master is a Master of the skills in question.

FaerynFaeryn

Faeryn doesn't quite have the Fleshwarped's appetite, but neither does she lose hers watching him eat. Rather, it seems inspirational, as she grabs the leg o' meat on her own plate and takes a big, juicy bite out of it, elven elegance giving way to a lusty appetite. Bite after bite of meat like she hasn't eaten in a week, punctuated by tearing off hunks of bread, cheese, and throwing back olives. Raising a mug to her lips to help wash it all down, she smiles at Gemma around the lip of the mug as she drains it—and it's a wicked smile.

Thunk! Setting the mug down, Faeryn dabs at her lips with a cloth in a curiously restrained manner considering how quickly she wolfed down food moments earlier. Then the smirk creeps back into her lips and she narrows her eyes at Gemma. "'Deputy' Loveless an' I need t'have words, too." The smile fades into a cold, fierce expression. "She's the one who fired the shot, brought me here." Faeryn plants her palms on the table and leans forward, red locks spilling onto the table as one sleeve slips a little down her bare shoulder. "I think ye'll find not everyone shares your sense o' justice, Gemma, but long as we see 'em both rot—in the ground, at the end o' th'noose, even behind bars, fine by me." Realizing perhaps that she's starting to seethe a little, Faeryn glances down at her plate, then back at Gemma and around the table, and sits back again.

"An' if they should both catch fire 'fore they get their due process, it won't break m'heart none."

OOC
-

Investigator 1

AC 16

HP 17/ 17

Fortitude +4

Reflex +6

Will +7

Perception +7

Status

None

"Appreciated, Gustav," comes the polite, if guarded reply from the dark haired young woman.  Gemma then turns her attention back to the firebrand of Faeryn."I am aware that not all of you lot have the same ... sensibilities as I do.  Hell, none of you may have them," Gemma shrugs.  She looks at Faeryn, holding her gaze as the woman leans forward on the table.  "I'm no preacher.  I'm not here to convert someone to a different path.  So long as we know we disagree and can agree not to needle each other about it, I figure we're fine for now."

There is a slight pause, Gemma still leaning against the wall.  "That's not true.  Killing just to kill, I will take issue with.  But I'll put aside everything else, for now, to take down Mugland and Loveless.  But I'll do it by evidence and the law first."

If that doesn't work, well, Gemma understands that sometimes justice isn't as neat as written laws.

"Take a drink an' settle down, elf." Gustav says, just a bit louder than necessary to get the pirate's attention. "Bad form to be antagonizin' each other in front of a potential employer." He says more softly, gesturing to Dunsmith. "Or did you forget we were here to be discussin' a job?" 

He turns back to Dunsmith. "Seems we's all clear on the who and the what, guess my next question is the how? What can ye tell us about the vault, number of guards, magic protections, that sorta thing? I'm a fair hand a safe crackin', and what I can't crack I'm sure I can cook up somethin' to take care of it by other means, but the more details the better."

Gustav

Current Statuses: None

AC 17 | HP 20/20 | Fort +7, Ref +7, Wis +4 | Fire Resistance 1 | Speed 25 Feet | Perception +4 | Darkvision

More

Clan Pistol +5, 1d6 P; Concussive, Fatal d10, Dwarven
Throwing Knife +5 1d4+1 P; Agile, Finesse, Throw 20ft
Sickle +5, 1d4+1 S; Agile, Finesse, Trip

Infused Reagents: 1/5
Prepared Infusions:

• 4 Elixirs of Life (2 reagents)
  • 2 Juggernaut Mutagens (1 Reagents)
  • 2 Alchemists Fire (1 Reagent)

Waddles

AC 14 | HP 5/5 | Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +7 | Speed 25 feet, Climb 25 feet | Perception +5 | Low-Light Vision

More

Familiar Tiny Minion Neutral

Perception +5, Low-light vision
Languages Understands Dwarven
Skills Acrobatics +5, Stealth +5, All other skills +1
Str +0, Dex +0, Con +0, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +0

Speed 25 Feet, Climb 25
Familiar Ability: Climber Gains a climb speed of 25 feet.
Familiar Ability: Partner In Crime Despite being a minion, gains 1 reaction at the start of its turns, which it can use only to Aid its master on a Deception or Thievery skill check (it still has to prepare to help as normal for the Aid reaction). It automatically succeeds at its check to Aid its master with those skills or automatically critically succeeds if the master is a Master of the skills in question.

"And what answers do you think you're likely to get from Loveless?" Dunsmith asks Gemma, quirking an eyebrow. "'Sides which, the handlers will be back by tomorrow afternoon, which turns the job into an almost guaranteed suicide run. You don't have a whole lot of time to pull this off, if you can."

Looking at the fleshwarp, she pulls a sack out from under the table and sets it on top. "You'd be using this. It's enchanted and holds far more than it looks like it should. Keeps the weight down as well, so it won't slow you down.

The cut is 10% each. I keep the rest to cover costs and pay for the next part of the plan."

She nods at Gustav's questions. "The vault is kept open during business hours. The inside gate to it will be locked, but the bank manager, one of Mugland's cronies name of Dresh, has the keys. There's an employee entrance in the alley out back that leads to the junkyard. It'll serve for your escape, but I suppose you could also get in that way, if you preferred. Usually the place has about half a dozen clockwork handlers, Baalkirk Model C-47s, but most are out for maintenance, making this a little easier."

She sits forward, looking at each member of the group, a hard look crossing her features. "Now, I know we all have our own grievances against Mugland and his ilk, and the bank staff aren't exactly innocents, but don't be killing folks willy-nilly. I won't abide working with a band of marauders as wicked as the devil himself. Protect yourself if you have to, but I'm not calling for a bloodbath, nor will protect you if you cause one." 

Gustav leans back in his seat, thinking over the information. "I have enough ingredients to make a dread ampoule, should spook off any townies what get in our way without killin' em. Won't do much fer the handlers, but they's just clockwork an' metal. Anything we do to them can just be fixed up later, no fuss no muss. If'ns ye ask me, an' if any of ye has sense ye should, I say we not come in our exit. Surest way to get ourselves trapped is to do that. We get a smooth talker in there to kick up a fuss and draw out Dresh, get themselves into the office an' drop 'im with... magic, mayhaps? Just our fists if need be, knock 'im senseless an' take the keys. Elsewise, we just try an get past 'im to the gate and lemme have a crack at the lock, though I'll need to borrow someone's picks fer that."

FaerynFaeryn

"If it's a charmer we need, I can do it." Faeryn flips her hair in an exaggerated manner. "As much fun as it can be t'blast our way through, sometimes a smile works where sword and spell can't." She looks at Gustav and scrunches up her face. "I might have some tools ye can use, but I'm pretty good with a lockpick, too. We'll see if charm can do it, and maybe a little bit o' fancier stuff." As if to emphasize the qualities they're talking about, Faeryn flashes Gustav her most dazzling smile—then looks back up at Gemma, still smiling. "That work for you, Gem?"

OOC
-

• 3 weeks later...

Investigator 1

AC 16

HP 17/ 17

Fortitude +4

Reflex +6

Will +7

Perception +7

Status

None

"Those are between her and I.  And the answer is likely 'Just Business'.  Which will be most ... annoying," Gemma admits to Dunsmith.

"Coming in the exit isn't too bad, but having one or two in the lobby acting like customers also keeps eyes on those working there, and if there is going to be trouble from the real customers," Gemma suggests as an amendment to Gustav's plan.  "I agree with our fierce friend here," Gemma continues with a motion of her hand to Faeryn.  "But if someone is in the lobby, be non-descript enough to blend in and out so witnesses can't get a good description - not that eye witnesses are very accurate anyway.  A change of hat and coat would be wise for all of us, as well.  That's what will be noticed most aside from weapons."

Lastly, Gemma looks back to Gustav again.  "Try to talk them into helping, first and foremost.  Then knock them senseless if we must.  But violence always has a chance of doing more damage than you anticipate.  We kill, or even seriously harm, someone, we are not only out of a job," the darkhaired woman notes with a nod in Dunsmith's direction, "We are even more wanted than we might already be.  And it'll be more than Mugland and Loveless hunting us, unwilling to listen to the truth."

Turning back to the redhead, Gemma bows her head.  The seemingly bloodthirsty pirate was the one that suggested the less violent route, after all.  

Gustav laughed. "I'm about as far from non-descript as a feller can get. Ain't many genie-born around in general, and I ain't exactly from a 'lesser known' family. Best I not be in the front, then." He said. "Waddles here, on the other hand, is small enough to get into small spaces unnoticed and could scout ahead for trouble ifn's I come in the back. Faeryn and Gemma, perhaps you's two should head in the front and manage the staff. One or two of us what stand out a little more should come in the back, and another be ready to bust in, in case you's twos gets yerselves into a tight spot and need to be hustled out. So let's decide our roles, and set about our task..."

OOC

Aight, I'm thinking we handle this skill challenge more as a flashback or flashforward, so the roll I've included here is for Waddles and Gustav's role in the heist. Our illustrious Dungeon Master can let me know if this works or not!

Name
Waddle's scouting
1d20+5 12
Gustav's sneaking
1d20+5 1
Gustav's lockbreaking (if needed)
1d20+5 17

FaerynFaeryn

"Aye, Gem, ye have a good mind for what needs done." Faeryn grins. "A change of clothes doesn't sound too bad, and I think ye're right: as much as I like t'blast someone who deserves it, we should keep the violence for when it's the only choice. Else we just make things harder for ourselves."

The Elf looks around the table. "So, we have a plan, then, aye? Couple of us go in to charm this Dresh, couple of us in th'lobby, and everyone else secures the employee door, that it?"

OOC
-

• 2 weeks later...

Dunsmith listens for a moment as planning begins and then sets a few small caps on the table, next to the bag she had previously. "You can use these to keep your identities secret, but don't go mussing them up, I'll be wanting them back when you're done. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a saloon to run." With that, Dunsmith nods to the group and stands, departing the table and the team gathered around it to plan in peace.

~~~~~

The next morning, the group makes their way to the Gold Tank Reserve to begin the job. The street is relatively busy, but is located in a part of town with very few patrols to catch the attention of.

The stench of manure accentuates the aura of shabbiness in this part of Alkenstar. In accord with the run-down district, the Gold Tank Reserve looms above like a starving behemoth. The bank was crafted from once-gleaming stone, though dust and dirt now cake the domed glass roof.

A pathway carved from a stone slab leads from the wooden boardwalk to stone steps and an elevated porch, not unlike a small stage. Two small wings of the building flank the path, each with a weed-choked planter facing the street. Impressions of giant keys etched onto the walls on either side of the entryway lend the building an air of security and stability.

Once the heist crew had assembled, Arac had wasted no time, placing one of the caps Dunsmith had presented them upon its head. With a look of concentration (or maybe anger, or hunger, or lust, it's hard to tell with the fleshwarped) the cap draws an illusion over them. Arac keeps it simple. Their poncho of sky blue and desert gold becomes black and red, befitting an outlaw, and the hood piled around their neck becomes a kerchief, ready to raise against dust storms...or victims. Their pants remain the same hard-wearing canvas, and the left boot worn leather, but the disturbingly chitinous right leg turns into an iron-capped wooden peg. Their bifurcated left arm looks to merge, though it has an illusory scar running from middle finger to elbow. And of course, the head. Frog-like neck turns into fat, wide head turns...well, still wide, but male human wide. Lips thicken from nothing to just thin. A nose appears. One of the eyes turns human-looking, and the rest turn into an unpleasant patch of boils. "So? How do I lhhhhhh-k! Kak! Kak!" The disguised warp attempts to cover its gurgling with a coughing fit. It's...okay.

A bit later as they make their final approach to the bank, "Ain't none of us seem likely to kick down that bhhhhhack-k door, less you want a go with your hammer there. I kin do any job, but if I'm talkin' to the manager it's gonna be a thhhhickle with my knife I'd wager. Figure hhhoney words first. I kin watch th'lobby, I ain't afraid to wing a civilian if they run. An' I figure I can take the back too. So last call, who's ghhhhot cold feet?"