Frequently Asked Questions

Melkar

Sorry. Another question... would it be a disadvantage to getting picked for the game if I chose a character that didn't start out with Darkvision?

Like I was thinking of making a Stout Halfling Ranger (eventually going into Gloom Stalker), but she wouldn't have access to Darkvision until third level she picks up Umbral Sight which includes always-on darkvision. 

If it would be disadvantageous to getting picked, I'm definitely willing to try a different character.

Edited by Gigglecake (see edit history)

I mean, some of us will likely want to play Drow... certainly the kind not liked by the Lolthite priesthood, but Drow, possibly neither lawful nor good

BTW, are there alignment preferences/restrictions?  I can play party oriented evil characters, but some DMs still take no chances, and I can roll with that.

evil characters that hurt their own party are not actually evil, just very dim and completely insane.

Of course, if the party includes extremely good paladins or the like, maybe playing evil was a suboptimal option, as the clash is hard to avoid.

Edited by Svartalf (see edit history)

I guess it depends on what perspective you come at it from.  I don't necessarily believe that inter-party conflict is a bad thing if its kept in check and doesn't come to violence, and players can separate IC from OOC (and believe me I wish I could say that that was a common sense statement but I've seen soooo many players incapable of separating IC from OOC before I've lost track).  A party full of people all getting on with each other all of the time isn't particularly realistic IMHO so as long as inter-party conflict is handled responsibly then I don't mind having a juxtaposition of alignments in the game.

Hate to be the guy who pushes the boundaries at character creation, but can Boz have a spellcasting focus that looks like an innocuous necklace that a higher status slave might wear? Say, a colorful bit of seaglass or the tooth of a mysterious animal on a leather strap.

Edited by Chaz Hoosier (see edit history)

Unfortunately not, you will not start the game with any equipment at all, that includes foci.  That's not to say you won't find equipment after the game begins, but you certainly won't start with any.

17 hours ago, Melkar said:

I guess it depends on what perspective you come at it from.  I don't necessarily believe that inter-party conflict is a bad thing if its kept in check and doesn't come to violence, and players can separate IC from OOC (and believe me I wish I could say that that was a common sense statement but I've seen soooo many players incapable of separating IC from OOC before I've lost track).  A party full of people all getting on with each other all of the time isn't particularly realistic IMHO so as long as inter-party conflict is handled responsibly then I don't mind having a juxtaposition of alignments in the game.

Also depends on the level of 'conflict'... Vigorous debate on methods, ways, means, and goals can be a good thing, but if it goes up to party members going their separate ways or actively working against each other... it spoils the fun. Also, things that might be acceptable and manageable in RT gaming no longer are so with delayed modes of playing, due to excessive waste of time and bogging down the action.