Ellie Conner, Tiefling Warlock

Elizabeth (Ellie) Conner

Some Tieflings are born, some are created.

50cc5771344f40c0eaa9330b1b9d464b.jpg
Race: Tiefling
Alignment: Neutral good

Class: Warlock
Background: Sage (modified)

Passive Perception: 11
Passive Investigation: 12
Passive Insight: 11

Hit Points: 9
Hit Dice: 1d8
AC: 11
Initiative: +1
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet

Tiefling Warlock 1

Senses darkvision

Languages common, undercommon, dwarvish (and infernal, but she doesn't know it yet)

Proficiency Bonus +2

ABILITIES 

Strength 8 (-1)

Dexterity 12 (+1)

Constitution 12 (+1)

Intelligence 15 (+2, Arcana, History, Investigation & Relgion +4)

Wisdom 10 (+0, save, +2)

Charisma 17 (+3, save +5)

PROFICIENCIES & FEATURES

TIEFLING (LEVISTUSFEATURES 

• +2 Cha, +1 Con
  • Darkvision
  • Hellish Resistance (to cold damage)
  • Legacy of Stygia
    • 1st level, Ray of Frost
    • 3rd level, Armor of Agathys spell as a 2nd-level spell, once, regained with long rest
    • 5th level, Darkness, once, regained with long rest
  •  Speak, read, and write Common and Infernal

WARLOCK FEATURES

• Simple weapons, light armor
  • Otherworldly Patron
    • Her patron is Levistus. Ellie suspects that it was her parents who made the pact with him while she was in her mother's womb. She does not know the details of the pact, the circumstances of its creation or what tasks he might ask of her.
    • She would rarely communicate with Levistus. At this time (just a few weeks after becoming a Tiefling warlock) she might have once glimpsed him watching her from the depths of a cold pool of water. Any communication with him would come via a cold pool or icy surface.
  • Pact Magic
    • Her arcane focus, when required, is a shard of ice that does not melt unless it is take out of her possession.
    • When she invokes magic (or perhaps performs and act that Levistus would approve of), icy tattoos radiate across her face and body.

SAGE FEATURES

• Arcana, History proficiencies
  • Two languages: Undercommon and Dwarvish
  • Feature: (Swapped with archaeologist) When you enter a ruin or dungeon, you can correctly ascertain its original purpose and determine its builders, whether those were dwarves, elves, humans, yuan-ti, or some other known race. In addition, you can determine the monetary value of art objects more than a century old.

WEAPONS & APPAREL

WEAPONS N/A

APPAREL When found, she was wearing a dirty and slightly tattered modest nightdress

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE 

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE  N/A

MONEY POUCH N/A

EQUIPMENT READIED N/A

EQUIPMENT STORED N/A

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED N/A

ATTUNED (0/3) N/A

SPELLS (Charisma, save DC 13, attack +5, 1 first level spell)

CantripsRay of FrostCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Target: A creature within range
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous

A frigid beam of blue-white light streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, it takes 1d8 cold damage, and its speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.
, Mage HandCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.

The hand can’t attack, activate magical items, or carry more than 10 pounds.
, PrestidigitationCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 10 feet
Duration: Up to 1 hour

This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.

You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.

You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.

You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.

You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Level 1: Charm PersonCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Duration: 1 hour

You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
, Hellish RebukeCasting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are damaged by a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous

You point your finger, and the creature that damaged you is momentarily surrounded by hellish flames. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 2d10 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 1st.
(with cold damage)

BACKGROUND

OVERVIEW

Ellie's parents were human archaelogists who delved into hidden corners of the Underdark using their own skills and hired assistants. 18 years ago, when Ellie was in her mother's womb, her parents got themselves into trouble on a dig. To get out, they made a pack with a Levistus to escape. Their payment came 18 years later, in the form of their daughter, who was transformed into a tiefling, imbued with a hint of his power and transported to the Underdark. They knew it would happen and they'd taught her all they could to prepare her... without actually telling her what was to come. Perhaps they couldn't? Perhaps they were ashamed? Ellie would like to ask them someday.

SAGE

• Personality Traits: I am awkward in social situations. Not only was I sheltered growing up, but all of sudden my existence has been turned inside out and I am not used to how people react to me.

• Ideals: The goal of my life is studying to understand what I am, and to return to my previous existence if possible. This may change if Ellie starts to enjoy her new power.

• Bonds: My parents sold my life for their own. I hope to do great deeds and win my freedom both from the Underdark and Levistus.

• Flaws: I am easily distracted by new knowledge, particularly for the promise of information that might aid me and my return to my human self.

BACKSTORY

Two weeks ago, Ellie celebrated her 18th birthday. It was the day that everything changed. 

Ellie had been a gawky long-limbed human teenager with the dark hair of her mother and the hazel eyes of her father.  They were what some might call, "retired adventurers". He was an archaeologist of a kind, who later made a living in the Upper World, writing books, giving lectures and occasionally consulting on new projects. He knew some magic, but it was mostly limited to the divining of poisons, magic and metals and some minor cantrips. He hadn’t the knack for the arcane, but had tried hard and learned a these few things to support his real passion, delving into the lost history of the Underdark. His wife, Ellie’s mother, worked with him. She was quiet in all ways, but surprising skillful in many trades. She could sneak up on a rabbit, take it down with her crossbow and have the meat turned to stew and the skin to a pair of gloves by the next day.

Ellie loved her parents and she loved the simple life they made for her. She wasn’t worldly but had lived a thousand lifetimes in the books she’d read and stories they’d told her. She had no greater wish than to perhaps become a writer herself, some day.

Things change the night of her 18th birthday. As she lay in bed, wondering if the next day would make her feel more an adult, she could hear her parents arguing outside. It wasn’t the first time, of course, but it wasn’t common and there was an emotional tone to their words that struck Ellie as unusual. Suddenly, they were silent and the noise, tock, tock, tock… was that hail? They really should come inside.

Ellie got up and made her way to the door. She shivered, it must be freezing outside. She opened the door, just enough to call out to her parents, to tell them she was awake and that they should come in. The door flung open to her barest touch and she felt a pulling on her shoulders that dragged her out into the open yard. She was spun and lifted into the air. She was held aloft, still for a moment. She tried to scream, but the intake of frigid air felt like razors piercing her lungs. Shoved to the ground, Ellie landed flat on her back and a crushing weight pinned her legs and arms. Hail fell like sheets of ice around her. It felt like needles on her skin. How could anything be so painful? She felt like the rabbit, being skinned, but she was alive. Her eyes were open. Her mouth, silently screaming.

Pain. The next wave of sudden piercing cold stabbed her across the forehead and blinded her a moment. No, no more. If only she could protest, but the struggle for breath took every ounce of the will and strength she possessed. She couldn’t turn her head, but desperately, she sought out her parents with her peripheral vision. There, near her feet, they stood still, statues covered in frost. 

It could have been minutes or hours, but Ellie finally felt the crushing pressure lift. The hail turned to rain and she wondered if she’d actually survived it. She closed her eyes and allowed herself to relax, just for a moment. Perhaps that was her mistake. She felt herself drop, as if the ground itself had turned to freezing water under her. She felt herself sinking into froze depths and kicked hard against the downward pull. Breaching the surface, she gasped for air. She could breathe again, breathe without pain. But, she was no longer home. She was in an underground cavern. It was dark, but she could see. Wait, I can... see?

She looked at her own reflection in the icy pool of the cavern. She was 18; she was reborn. She did not recognize herself.

Two weeks later... 

Ellie has learned a lot in 14 days. Foremost, she has learned that looking for help in the wrong place, telling her story to the wrong person... will only lead to trouble. She will be labelled cracked, weak-minded, insane. And then, that wrong person will try to take advantage of her. Further, without thought, she may find herself emitting an unforgiving icy force to punish them. 

Finally, without a beliveable truth or bag of coin to buy her passage, she has learned that she will find herself in chains...

PERSONALITY

As a sheltered human girl and burgeoning academic, Ellie was eager to please and quick to smile. She loved stories, both fictional and true, and had a curiousity about the world that her parents worked hard to satisfy... and contain. They fed her books and maps, biographies and essays. They would occasionally introduce her to one of their old colleagues whom she would pummel with questions. She was perhaps not the most subtle of interrogators, but her bustling good nature and sheer enthusiasm for almost any subject tended to win people over. 

Now, touched with icy Stygia and transformed into a Tiefling, Ellie will display glimpses of her old self. In those moments, she will forget the horns, the pale, cold skin and forget the eyes watching her in icy reflections. She will laugh with child-like wonder at discovering a new story or seeing a creature that she's only read about. At other times... she will be mired in desperate frustration over the human life she has lost and be keen to return to it. Finally, there will be moments where she will appreciate the new powers that she's been given and perhaps come to see them... as a blessing?

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

@Melkar Hi! I tweaked a few things, but I decided to not to completely change applications. I'm not sure Ellie fits the vibe of the game, but she may be a fun contrast. We'll see what happens! 🙂

Anyway, I was wondering if I could do a damage swap? All the tiefling stuff is "fire" based, but I'd like her to be cold based... so may I swap "fire" for cold" in the following:

• Tiefling Hellish Resistance => cold instead of fire resistane
  • 1st level, hellish rebuke => cold instead of fire damage
  • 3rd level, burning hands => freezing hands (cold damage)
  • 5th level, flame blade => ice blade (cold damage)

One other swap is just for the background feature, instead of the typical sage, one, asking for the "archaeologist" one of: When you enter a ruin or dungeon, you can correctly ascertain its original purpose and determine its builders, whether those were dwarves, elves, humans, yuan-ti, or some other known race. In addition, you can determine the monetary value of art objects more than a century old.

Finally, I don't know if Mephistopheles is the best cold based patron to go with... let me know if you think there's someone else more appropriate for the campaign? Cheers!

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

@ariel Out of curiosity, did you consider Levistus instead of Mephistopheles? Levistus is the ruler of Stygia, both of which are also cold-aspected. And since he's currently imprisoned, he's also the patron of escape. Ellie's transportation to the Underdark could be a sort of trial that Levistus might be amusing himself with, or part of some long game to free himself.

And I just realized now that there's a Levistus tiefling.

Edited by Powderhorn
Removed wikidot link (see edit history)

@Dr Jackal Oh wow... and Levistus is worshipped by the drow! That's perfect! I take a deeper look after work and if it all fits... I'll swap! It looks like I would get Con +1 instead of intelligence, but I can probably shove things around a bit. Thanks!