Tech and magic levels

wrathgon

So its 8 year course to bring it one level. Having a way to upload info into the brain and access it half's the base time. If dont upload, For every Int bonus you can drop a year off base, you do one or other not both. First TL starts at 8 years then adds 1d4 year for every TL over first cumulative( so 2 TL is 8+2d4 ect).

There is a check to understand the info at end of the training, its a DC 15 Int check with a -5 for every TL above your starting TL, as you try to understand higher levels its harder and harder. IF you fail you have to wait till next level OR when you gain a perm increase to INT and study for 1 year and roll again. You can use your AP BEFORE you roll if wish.

Need this done in a native language(telepathy removes this requirement), anything else is too hard to understand.

So as you gain knowledge of the science of the universe there is a trade off. Things that seem magical and supernatural are explained.

Magic and psionics are about self belief and as you tech up its harder to believe magic exists, that it is not some form of tech you dont understand and it makes it harder to believe in magic and psionics. THose that are born in a higher tech society have the hardest time throwing off their teachings going up for the supernatural, even when seeing it with their own eyes.

Home TL:

Anyone from a TL over 5 and not from a place that has magic/divine/psionic as the normal(common knowledge) gets a +1 added to any save vs for every TL over 5.

At the same time if any of these people train in a class that grants casting ability they take a -1 on their caster level. For every 5 levels they gain in said class OR are around magic/psionic/divine powers they reduced the penalty by 1 as they truly start to believe in their abilities as magical/psionic/divine. So for the crew anyone that started at 1st level with captain and is now 5th level can remove -1 from their checks, if started higher level you dont get this until you have advanced 5 levels.

Same goes for the bonus every 5 levels around casters starts to make you more of a believer and you start to doubt maybe it is real and your bonuses are reduced by 1.

Using magic and psionic items:

Those born of higher TL have harder time believing that this stick will fire a fireball and have to make a Arcane Lore check(magic), Theology and Philosophy(Divine), or Behavioral Sciences(psionics) check DC 15 with a -1 every TL over 5 they are from to use any of those items to effect them. The more powerful an item is, the harder it is for for techie to use, for every 5 caster levels of the item, there is extra -1 to their checks.

Continuous items are checked 1/day when they wake for the day. This is reduced as they are around the supernatural like above every 5 levels reduces the minus. Once all minuses(from TL not caster level) are removed the next time they level they can use the items without checks.

Edited by wrathgon (see edit history)

How does that effect anyone for eg Enoch who started at pl 6 and is raising his tech level.
Does it class him now as a person from a pl 7 world for example and then the above rules apply?

And I’m guessing this is the logic of the time lords. How would we say assess the PL of a culture if we ourselves don’t know it..
I.e examining a Tardis. Or this ship we are on to determine the pl level,is that just a know:tech level with the modifiers.

See because if I go the magic route,I,m forever at at lower tech level..
I,m presuming that also goes for the Captain.

As you gain more understanding of technology you can explain away What magic is It's not magic. It's just A technology you don't understand.
The more technologically you advance the harder it is for you to believe in magic. Magic items don't always work for you because you don't have that belief in them. So yes, you have to choose. If you want to be a fully technological Master like the time Lords you give up your magic. If you want to be archwizard, then you will never be a technological master. If you think that put you at a disadvantage then don't go the magic route.

If you've noticed the captain has very few technological items. But he is at best the same tech level as you started at or maybe even one lower. But the modifiers apply because of his skill level.They are as crippling because he is high enough to reduce them so I guess the best way to use both is to Pump your skills as much as possible. So the modifiers for using technological items are reduced by your masterful skill.

Edited by wrathgon (see edit history)

• 3 months later...