Techonecromancy

wrathgon

Technonecromancy

Enoch looks over the remarkably fresh humanoid standing before him. The zombie remains motionless. He tests it's adheraence to his commands, repositioning, rotating, sitting, standing. Then he commences testing neurological synapses throughout the body, seeing if and how they respond to various stimuli.

When he gets a chance, Enoch has some questions for the Captain:

"Are there undead who do have an active metabolism? Maybe vampires? If so, attempting to install a powered cybernetic implant on one may work."

Are there variants of undead powered by positive energy? Any of those with a metabolism?

Can you acquire a magical battery for this research? Something that can supply electricity and/or heat? There are two primary issues to solve, powering the implant, and connecting the consciousness, this can solve the former.

Can undead receive and support grafts from the living?

Not sure how you want to do this. Enoch has spare parts he can easily fabricate some simplistic cybernetics. Starting with basic minor prosthetics and see if/how the zombies can interact with them on various pure mechanical and then bioelectrical levels.

Enoch would likely be aware of the concept of golems from his Knowledge (Occult), possibly Flesh Golems (at least the concept of Frankenstein and his monster). I, the player am aware of things such as Phyrexians from Magic, the Gathering. Would Enoch even have that type of rumor or concept?

Enoch has a cybernetics supplier on the station, has he seen or heard about any of the magical cybernetics? There are a bunch in D20 Cyberspace. Also, has he heard or know anything about D&D style Grafts? Particularly undead grafts.

Would Enoch or the Captain know about Deathless from Eberron?

Current knowledge:
Two types of implants: Powered and Inert.
Inert can be installed on anything, these work on corporeal undead.

Many powered cybernetics run off the body somehow per core rules. It's not explained directly how that I could find. Presumably off of latent bioelectricity. Some have internal power sources also.

Most (all?) Undead lack bioelectrical activity.

Living creatures have neuron connections that powered cybernetics connect to. In undead, there are no active synapses (no metabolism?). Vampires may be an exception.

@evedgebah can you move rest over
Edited by wrathgon (see edit history)

Show this

Technonecromancy

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Technonecromancy

lasting spells or items that allow undead to feel/pass for living?

so my DM and i have had long talks about this so i know how i want to move forward. The captain has limited knowledge of grafts he never got into when a mortal and as a god well he may have heard of them but that is it. Deathless YES he's former master Dirk was one for years so he can give you any knowledge of any undead info you as the player has.

You use the station to look into things you have ideas about, but after looking there is nothing on station that tech cybernetics will NOT work with undead.

Are there undead who do have an active metabolism? Maybe vampires? If so, attempting to install a powered cybernetic implant on one may work."

"Only one would be vampires"

Are there variants of undead powered by positive energy? Any of those with a metabolism?

"Yes but they are still unliving just gives them different powers"

Can you acquire a magical battery for this research? Something that can supply electricity and/or heat? There are two primary issues to solve, powering the implant, and connecting the consciousness, this can solve the former.

You need to see if there is intelligence needed, if that is the case i can assign another unliving to you that could try to control implants, the ones you install into the zombies will have to ones that have automatic usage like limbs that there is no need for thoughtful control . Not sure what your asking, Any magical battery wont link the tech as far as i know how to make both work together.

Are there

lasting spells or items that allow undead to feel/pass for living?

Some spells and items most are illusion based so they dont actually change you. Polymorph spells may work but then what happens when you change back they fall out so not so useful.

Generally no, i have heard of adding grafts onto undead but its not something i am skilled at. While it might be possible to add magic tech into unliving i we are interesting in normal tech. Truly we may need to find a techowizard to help with this task. I have no skill with blending magic and tech together, though i had a contact that did he is no longer accessible.

"I'll proceed with the zombie, but if you could arrange for a vampire to cooperate with some work, that would give the best data. One that you trust not to try and drink my blood or subjugate me. Further, any information on golems, particularly flesh golems, or even a sample one to work on would help. I'll keep you informed of any progress."
Capt gives a rare laugh at the rest of a flesh golem. " Unlike robots golems are a costly resources that you cant just put together. It takes magics that cost you the very essence of life and experiences that for me are too valuable to just use for a lab rat. I can get you books on the creation but am unsure you will understand them as they are more magical in nature. You could ask Kar Tesh to help you with that would be good study practice for his own magic studies."
"I see. I don't mean to impose, but have you not magic to perhaps temporarily summon one? It would be invaluable to my work. I admit while I am studying arcane lore, my knowledge is incomplete. I do intend to expand my understanding of various magic and incantations as my next project."

"Can you tell me, or provide materials on other forms of animating objects and creatures?

Experiments, Tests Data Collection:
Observations on zombie musculature - do they contract like living tissues, what about movement in decomposed areas, like no intact muscles, etc?

What constitutes being a "part" of the zombie. How removed does a part of the creature have to be to be considered severed form the whole?

Can parts be reattached?

Does a zombie acknowledge an unpowered replaced limb and is it able to use it as the tool it is? Hand replaced with hammer, for instance. What about a simple clamp which opens/closes on movements of the arm/hand? Such as contracting muscles of the arm would make it close, the implant responds to the muscle/arm movement, not to a direct neural link. These would be PL 5 or 6 Prosthetics. These should work, so long as the mechanics of the implant can track some form of muscle or positional signals from the host.
Theo decides to try to explain something to the mortal.

"Here is the thing, " Theo says putting down a chair in front of him. "You can think of unliving as this chair, at least when it comes to your tech. If you can get your tech to work in a chair, then it will work in us."

"Will an hour with a golem help? there is magic that i can use to summon one for up to 1 hour but its not long to test on i will have to find a copy of the spell someplace."

If you cut off an arm and put it into zombie, it does nothing the zombie does not try to use it, it uses other hand and does not try to use it.
Enoch sits and listens. The analogy makes sense and was already within the confines of his planned work.

"I am convinced I can get many types of cybernetics to function with corporeal undead that have muscles, sinew, and other such tissues living creatures have. The less life-like the undead, the lower the chance I can get various types of physical capability augmenting cybernetics working.

Once we cross over to incorporeality, it's a different story. We get to things like ghosts possessing robots. But that's already possible per my research.

Back to our original goal, the real issue are neural and perceptual cybernetics. They will be hardest, but may be possible. There is psi-tech that picks up brainwave activity, and I read about undead retaining, or tapping latent psionic capabilities. Thus, theoretically, a psionic relay should be able to replace a neurologic controller for active cyberware. If that works, the only other issue is powering the cybernetics, since they rely on active metabolism. Installed batteries, or links to an external power pack should fix that issue though.

An hour with a golem will be sufficient for my preliminary testing I think. I just need to see if and how the muscle fibers are animated and compare it to the zombie. As well as conduct a few quick tests with a few adjustable prosthetics.

I greatly appreciate your aid in this research captain. Once I get things working, I'll prioritize getting your implants working."
The muscles in a zombie’s arm don’t contract. A zombie’s arm works fine without muscles. The skeletal structure moves, but there isn’t really a way for the zombie to signal the hand to open or close.

Given that zombies can’t even use a normal hammer (unlike skeletons, who can), that suggests that they probably wouldn’t recognize attached tools. Skeletons seem to be smarter, despite both being Int
Do the captain's muscles contract when he moves?
Yes but its not his true form none of you can view his true form without screaming in terror and fleeingorc9.gif
Do other sentient undead have muscle contractions?
Nope the bodies are moved by magic as said undead are like chairs orc9.gif
Then all tech cybernetics with any controlled articulation will need some way to link to the consciousness. Enoch needs to locate or create such an interface.

Pieces/Concepts from D20 Modern/Future
Tailgunner (PL 7) - Controls limbs independently. Interface for manual control of cybernetics.
Neural Computer Link (PL 😎 - Brain (nervous system) directly to computer and vice versa
Synapse Remapper (PL 😎 - RAW this is the psionic power Psychic Reformation, but conceptualized as artificial nerves. Use to concept to connect cybernetics.
Psi Implant (PL 😎 - Grants Wild Talent. Candidate for reverse functionality to receive psychic input.
Power Backpack (PL 7) - Can provide energy to almost any device requiring electrical power
The prob you have is undead are immune to mind effecting as brain is dead so most are also immune to alot of psionics and very few undead have psionics because of this
Capt drops off some more books for you to read( taking about 5 hours to go through and you find the following info in them:

Unliving
They are the unliving corpses and spirits of formerly living beings (footnote 1). These creatures no longer possess the biological functions and desires of the living (thus, making magical sleep ineffective). It is noted that many types of undead feed on the living (ghasts, ghouls, spectres, vampires, etc.), however, there is no mention of whether or not they must to feed to survive. They do not age (DMG, p. 134), are immune to withering attacks (DMG, p. 134), and make no noise when moving (DMG, p. 60). Their minds and emotions that are indecipherable to the living (DMG, p. 150; PHB, p. 70). Because of this, command (PHB, p. 43), ESP (DMG, p. 150; PHB, p. 70), and suggestion (p. 75) will not work on undead.

hese monsters gain their unlife and power from the energy of the Negative Material Plane (PHB, p. 120; DMG, p. 60), although, “energy drainer” types seem to be more strongly connected to the plane (MM, p. 102) (footnotes 2 & 3). Undead are said to exist on the Prime Material and Negative Material planes simultaneously (MM, p. 99), though this is contradicted in the Manual of the Planes (p. 54), which states that this is impossible since there is no direct connection to these two planes. They are not affected by magics that draw upon the Negative Material Plane (i.e. “death magics”) (Greyhawk Adventures, pgs. 59 & 60), and cannot energy drain other undead (I6 Ravenloft, p. 5). Evil undead can be detected with a detect evil spell (DMG, p. 60).

Corporeal undead have a physical form that consists of the body they once possessed in life. Non-corporeal undead are the spirit of the being without the body in an intangible or gaseous form (REF5 Lords of Darkness, p. 85). This form usually resembles their former appearance to some degree (depending on undead type) with a similar height (REF5, p. 89).

Two types of non-corporeal undead — the ghost and apparition — exist primarily on the Ethereal Plane. While in ethereal form they can be seen by viewers, pass through solid objects, and are immune to attacks that do not originate from that plane. However, they must semi-materialize into the Prime Material Plane to initiate physical attacks on the living.

The other types of non-corporeal undead (spectres, wraith, shadows, groaning spirits, haunts, and poltergeists) do not have the ability to enter the Ethereal Plane. Presumably, they can interact with material objects, much as ghosts and apparitions can when they semi-materialize. Of the intangible undead, only spectres are specifically mentioned to be able to pass through solid objects, as noted in REF3 The Book of Lairs (p. 76) and REF5 Lords of Darkness (pgs. 61 & 66). Of the other types, it is not certain whether or not they can freely pass through non-living material. One clue, however, is found in the description of the wraithform spell (Unearthed Arcana, p. 69): “[while in wraithform] The illusionist will be able to pass through small holes or narrow openings, even mere cracks…”. Therefore, it seems plausible that these undead can do so likewise. They cannot pass through walls and material objects, but can fit into the smallest of openings to seemingly appear out of nothingness.

State of Unlife: As creatures without the normal biological processes that the living possess, undead do not sleep and thus are immune to all forms of magical and non-magical sleep, including but are not limited to: sleep spell, sleep inducing abilities of monsters (e.g. a chasme’s drone ability), eyebite (sleep version), symbol of sleep. They are also immune to the effects of aging (e.g. elixir of youth), withering (e.g. staff of withering), starvation, suffocation (footnote 5), drowning (footnote 5), disease (e.g. cause disease and irritation spells), nausea (e.g. stinking cloud spell, troglodyte stench, etc.), paralysis, poison (footnotes 6 & 7) (including cloudkill and poisonous gases), blood-drain, non-magical stunning, and cannot be struck unconscious. Furthermore, non-corporeal undead are immune to dismemberment, and suffer no damage from falling or crushing attacks (footnote 8).

Cold Resistance: Immunity to cold and cold-based magics, as shown on the list above, is not consistently applied to all types of undead. Again, some corporeal and some non-corporeal types have it, as do some weaker and some more powerful undead. Presumably, undead are immune to cold because they are no longer living, warm-blooded beings, and do not need warmth to survive. There are a number of associations undead have with coldness, however. Most dwell in dank, dark places akin to graves, many have an aversion to sunlight (and are destroyed or rendered powerless in direct sunlight), some have chilling touch (e.g. shadows), and all are susceptible to fire-based attacks, magical or otherwise. It is reasonable that all types of undead would be immune to the effects of non-magical cold.

Alien Mind: Because the mind of the undead does not function like that of a living creature, they are immune to all mind-influencing/ affecting spells and magical effects. These include, but are not limited to, the following:

Advanced illusion, antipathy/sympathy, blindness (spell), cause fear, charm ability from a monster such as a vampire, harpy, succubus, etc., charm person, chaos, charm monster, cloak of fear, color spray, command, confusion (by spell or monster ability), deafness (spell), deck of illusions, demand (suggestion aspect only), demi-shadow magic*, demi-shadow monsters*, domination, elixir of madness, empathy, emotion, enthrall, ESP (spell, device, or monster ability), eyebite, eyes of charming, fascinate, feeblemind, fear (by spell, device, or monster ability), fire charm, forget, friends, fumble, geas, hallucinatory forest, hallucinatory terrain, hold person, hold monster, hypnotic pattern, hypnotism, illusion (by device or monster ability), illusionary script, improved phantasmal force, insanity (all forms), Leomund’s lamentable belaborment, magic jar, mass charm, mass suggestion, medallion of ESP, mirage arcana, mislead (illusion aspect of the spell only), paralyzation (by spell, device, or monster ability), permanent illusion, phantasmagoria, phantasmal force, phantasmal killer, phantom armor, philter of love, programmed illusion, quest, rainbow pattern, ray of enfeeblement, rod of beguiling, rod of rulership, scare, shades*, shadow magic*, shadow monsters*, staff of command, spectral force, suggestion, spook, symbol (discord, fear, hopelessness, insanity, & persuasion), Tasha’s uncontrollable hideous laughter, tempus fugit, vacancy (illusion aspect of the spell only), wand of illusion, weird.

* Undead suffer damage from the “real” part of these spells, however.
Concluding his reading, Enoch determines that the key lies in bypassing some of the Immune to Mind-Affecting aspect of undead. His current best lead is through psionics or specialty magic.
The capt asks " What are you trying to do? I understand putting cybernetics into unliving but why? What can cybernetics do that magic grafts cannot? If we go into a non magic area the unliving will deaminate so maybe getting their bodies to continue to function to get back out of an area? Or try to transfer the magical mental abilities that have been given to them by magic into psionic or tech device so they could function in non magic areas would be a very useful project. But just to install normal cybernetics seems like a waste of time as there are other sources that work just as well. "
"Exactly. I want to see about transfer of power/function. Ensure ability to function regardless of place or circumstances. Further, there are cybernetics that do things I've not heard of magic doing. Magic often doesn't interface well with technology, so this research helps bridge that gap, and vice versa. The work is also selfish, as I have multiple cybernetics, and would like to retain their functionality of and when I become undead. A matter I'm not decided on yet as a reminder."
he nods at the last statement saying "But i am sure we could replace whatever you have with magic to replace what they grant. So i can be ready can you tell me what they give you so i can make sure this is the case."
"I keep a list and will keep it updated for you as well. Until we figure out a solution to the interface issue, I'll hold off on acquiring new implants for now. My current and planned cybernetics are...
Private Content for:
On Enoch's sheet and PC thread.
Capt been watching you and had a thought himself "Since negative energy is what animates most unliving maybe if you could create a tech battery that could house negative energy could infused with new energy to keep us animated. Now it would have to be purely tech based but i wonder just infusing negative would keep us animated

Another 5 hours of down time will have the Capt summon for you a golem. Capt give you info on The flesh golem.

"While the flesh golem is like a zombie the main difference is the golem does not use negative energy to aminate the flesh, it uses pure magic. What tests did u want to do? Also unliving afre animated by evil spirits while golems are animated by elemental spirits."
"I'm studying how the animating forces actually move the creature and what interferes. I may not have magic the way you do, and am not trying to learn spells directly, but I've been intently studying arcane lore, so I do know what to look for. Part of my studies would include feasibility of technomagical batteries, so I can work on those first."
"Do you have the craft skills make such batteries?"
"I'm unsure. I've never tried to create anything related to magic."
"Zora may be needed in that case once your ready to go to that point speak to her."
Enoch already has Craft/Repair drones (Lost them on my sheet, but found them again). So they can work on things for Enoch while he's with the crew.
When ready to study negative energy itself capt got 2 years of research to go over.

Will have to wait for some longer downtime for that I think.
sneaking into this thread because it might be relevant for my character as well (my subdural implants help me alot lol) is that deacon does have magic though choose to be a martial class type "caster"as a mystic and does gets abilities like craft magical items/weapons/armors so maybe between the two of them we can work something out.

• 2 months later...

Kara comes in when working on things and drops a Feat Plexus on the table " I need this to work with undead, if am going that route I need to keep use of my Feat Plexus, please see what you can do Enoch, if you need anything from me to help with this just ask. "

@evedgebah

Enoch looks at the implant and nods slowly. "Ah yes...technonecromancy. An ongoing project of mine. And, honestly, one of the things holding back my own acceptance of our captain's offer. Most helpful would be an example of a working interface. So if you find or hear about an undead creature with working implants, please let me know if you come across or hear of any. Or if yo hear of any implants designed to work with undead. So far, I've gotten non-electronic ones to work, but that's nowhere near close enough."

Kara closes the door and comes back to Enoch. He takes off the black glove she has been wearing since she returned to life from Capt. The crew knows her hand became useless when she returns, Capt says not everything always comes back 100% some pieces are left in the dead place.

The hand is desiccated, leathery flesh and it goes all the way up the arm, looks like the whole arm has been replaced not just the hand. " Capt said this may help in your research and I needed a new hand so... careful not to touch it with your flesh it is linked to the negative plane, I can drain life like Samuel if i touch someone and think about it. Do your tests i don't feel any pain from it, its made me much stronger than normal too."

Enervating Arm: An enervating arm is a gaunt limb of desiccated, leathery flesh. It grants a +4 inherent bonus to the grafted creature's Strength. Twice per day, the grafted creature can use an enervating touch to bestow one negative level on a living creature. Removing the negative level requires a DC 14 Fortitude save. A touch that misses does nor count against the daily limit.

Enoch uses his scanners and probes very carefully. Using robots to actually touch the arm and following Kara's advice. He attaches leads of various sorts across the living and unliving flesh, testing for electrical signals, particularly at the juncture. He uses his full spectrum of scanning potential, including ethereal. Next, he works on reading any signals that come off of the undead flesh, if able.

can you detect negative energy in your scanners? it would be classed as multi-dimensional energy it may not classify it but if you can detect multi dimensional would be a start. DO you have downtime left to use?

I'm not sure I can detect negative energy (or positive). I don't have magic detection items in general.

As for downtime, I'm not sure either, I have some outstanding questions from the downtime thread you haven't gotten to yet.

No the googles let you see into the Ethereal. You want to measure or detect or study energies that are multi-dimensional so? You need a multi-dimensional device or you need to add a multi-dimensional scanner to what you got

ok so if ONLY want to detect one dimension is pretty cheap but am sure you want the full specs so you can be added to your current device for 7k upgrade fee. 35k for the unit. It will tell in with first 1 min of scan in the area if there are any dimensional energies in the area, then will take 5 to 10 min to determine what kind but it has to be programmed to know it. Comes with standard psionic and magic every extra one you want to add is 5k. You got everything from negative and positive and fire earth water air ice etc. If you want to calibrate it yourself have to travel to the plane you want to detect on the Prime here, I don't recommend that for you sunny.