Coloured text isn't copied from posts into WYSIWYG editor

Llyarden

If I have a post where I've got text in a different colour, when I try to copy the coloured text into a new post using the WYSIWYG editor, the colour isn't kept.  Other formatting is correctly copied, even other properties that were in the same style attribute as the colour.

This occurs regardless of whether I copy the post directly or switch it to edit mode and then try to copy it.  It may be because I'm trying to copy hex-code colours; I haven't tested it with automatic colours.  In fact I'll do that now, pardon the green. EDIT: Copying default colours also doesn't work.

Firefox 110.0.1, Windows 10.

Edited by Llyarden (see edit history)

This is intentional. The editor strips colors when copy/pasting due to background colors coming across and not all colors are readable in all themes. Especially from things copied from outside Baldr.

To keep colors intact you can use the "clone" button if you are copying into the same thread or you can use the "source" button inside a post to copy the raw html and then paste that into the source area of a new post to get a perfect copy.

I think we'll be able to address this when we get to working the theme-specific color palettes. In that you'll be able to copy/paste the defined color palettes since they use CSS variable magic to make it fit with every theme, but other colors will get stripped (since they're not guaranteed to be readable when inserted into the destination).

Thanks for bringing it up!